• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Have a problem with Win 7 not connecting to the internet

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After years of use my Win 7 is having problems :(

All of a sudden my web browser can't connect to the internet. After a long delay, the browser window will pop up & give a "Server not found" message". I've checked my widgets & they sometimes work e.g. the exchange rate info & weather info are updating. Tried to use a torrent application & it seems ok. Just having problems with the browser. Tried using different browsers: Firefox, IE & Google Chrome. They are all having problems.

Other than re-installing everything again. Anyone have any suggestions:confused:

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How many people here still find that using win 8 / win 8.1 is quite troublesome?
Takes some time to get use to the new interface.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How many people here still find that using win 8 / win 8.1 is quite troublesome?
Takes some time to get use to the new interface.

Win 8 and Win 8.1 are market flops... development for Win 9 is already underway. Beta (developer preview?) will be released next year.

You do not need to put up with a stupid interface. Install Classic Shell to restore sanity to the UI.

Classic Shell

startmenu1.png
startmenu2.png
startmenu3.png

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
reset your routers, web browsers clear cookies delete cache check if got proxy set remove proxy.

restart your computer!!

revealer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trouble is some older program don't work. has to spend money to upgrade or buy new ones..like those day when they come up with Vista

Win 8 and Win 8.1 are market flops... development for Win 9 is already underway. Beta (developer preview?) will be released next year.

You do not need to put up with a stupid interface. Install Classic Shell to restore sanity to the UI.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone know who are the developers of Win8 and Win8.1?
Is it outsourced to Ah Neh land?

Or is it Ms who actually set up Ms India to develop their operating system these days?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
reset your routers, web browsers clear cookies delete cache check if got proxy set remove proxy.

restart your computer!!

Have reset, delete,.. in Firefox without success.

Problem is probably with windows because I have tried with 3 browsers & they all have the same problems. If I remember a proxy server is no longer required in Spore.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone know who are the developers of Win8 and Win8.1?
Is it outsourced to Ah Neh land?

Or is it Ms who actually set up Ms India to develop their operating system these days?

There is nothing wrong with Windows 8. It is the UI which Microsoft had fucked up.

Microsoft was quite desperate to grab some market share for phones and tablets instead of watching Apple earn all the money. Hence, it decided to leverage its desktop monopoly to get desktop users to be familiarized with the tiles. In Windows 8, forcing a touch-based UI onto desktop users who use a keyboard and mouse.

It was a stupid business decision, but Microsoft has a lot of money to burn.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have reset, delete,.. in Firefox without success.

Problem is probably with windows because I have tried with 3 browsers & they all have the same problems. If I remember a proxy server is no longer required in Spore.

Windows is an operating system... it will not give you connection problems.

Either your network settings are not configured properly, or there is a problem with the hardware (router, modem, network card, ethernet cable).

Occasionally it might be a problem on the ISP side: maintenance, servers are down, earthquake destroys underwater cables etc. Those incidents are rare.

It is highly unlikely that all three browsers have problems at the same time.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...It is highly unlikely that all three browsers have problems at the same time.

That's why I think the problem is with windows 7.

Have verified that the network is OK, because the Macbook I am using has no problems with the same connection. The torrent application(Tixati) which is on the same PC is running fine because it is a non-windows application.

Looks like I'll have to reinstall everything. What a pain.

revealer

Alfrescian
Loyal
when you type cmd in the search panel, cmd.exe will appear on the top.. right click and select run as an administrator.. good luck

I've gotten into "command prompt" mode & have typed "netsh winsock reset catalog" but I'm geeting a message that I need to run it as an "administrator". How to get sign in as an administrator? Because I'm the only user & I am logging in already as an "administrator":eek:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am running on Windows 7. I hate Windows 8.
Windows 8 as usual full of bugs and waiting for users to solve their buggy problem.

Other than re-installing everything again. Anyone have any suggestions:confused:[/QUOTE]

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why I think the problem is with windows 7.

Have verified that the network is OK, because the Macbook I am using has no problems with the same connection. The torrent application(Tixati) which is on the same PC is running fine because it is a non-windows application.

Looks like I'll have to reinstall everything. What a pain.

before you reinstall maybe you can try one more thing. try to remove your antivirus, firewall or malware blocker may be causing the web browsers to be unusable.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when you type cmd in the search panel, cmd.exe will appear on the top.. right click and select run as an administrator.. good luck

Thanks.
Got in as an administrator & did the reset to the winsock. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem:(

Looks like I'll have to re-install windows. This will give me a chance to do some spring cleaning & get rid of the clutter.