• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Have a problem with Win 7 not connecting to the internet

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When it comes the backups, I'm more "kiasu" than any Singaporean simply because I hate losing all my settings and preferences and having to dig up activation codes to reactivate software.

I run my Mac Pro off a PCI SSD because it is the fastest bus available. ...

The Macs are so much easier to use & maintain. I've never had a problem with the system getting corrupted. I've heard of hardware failures but never about OS corruption problems.

Adding peripherals is also easy & painless. For example, I have a WD passport external HDD which is formatted for NFS( a PC format). I keep it formatted in NFS so that I can connect to both my PC & a Mac . I find that when I am backing up my PC files it is very slow compared to when it is connected to my Mac.

Another problem is that when I connect the HDD to my PC. I have to use the USB 2.0 port because when I connect to the USB 3.0 port, the computer cannot detect the ext HDD.

It is no wonder that people are moving on to Macs:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
64 bit recommended, no cons...provided your intel architecture can support. just imagine 2 SBS buses with 32 and 64 passengers, which is more efficient?

If I have legacy software that was written for 32bit, will these applications have problems running in a a 64bit environment?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've re-installed everything & am pleased with how much faster windows is.:smile:

However I have a new problem. A pop up frequently appears offering to backup to the cloud. The window that comes out looks like this:
"Free Backup service for windows 7
Congratulations! Free cloud backup service for your windows 7 is now ready "

There is no obvious way to opt out & when I close the window it inevitably returns. It is quite irritating.
Anyone know how to get rid of this pop up:confused:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've re-installed everything & am pleased with how much faster windows is.:smile:

However I have a new problem. A pop up frequently appears offering to backup to the cloud. The window that comes out looks like this:

There is no obvious way to opt out & when I close the window it inevitably returns. It is quite irritating.

Sounds like your computer is infected with malware/spyware that constantly feeds ads to you, whether you like it or not.

Similar problem:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/335115-malware-infested-windows-7-computer-solved/

How to solve the problem:
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/bettersurf-virus-removal/

Next time: don't use IE, install an ad blocker for your browser, and be careful of what you click on or install.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i don't know but they know:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/140218-Turn-off-schedule-in-Win-7-Backup

:p

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sounds like your computer is infected with malware/spyware that constantly feeds ads to you, whether you like it or not.

Similar problem:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/335115-malware-infested-windows-7-computer-solved/

How to solve the problem:
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/bettersurf-virus-removal/

Next time: don't use IE, install an ad blocker for your browser, and be careful of what you click on or install.

Windows is really an interesting platform. There is so much to learn about viruses, malware. I don't know how people remain infection free:eek:

While I was looking around for the same free SW that I had previously installed, I came across many suspicious sites for the free SW. I may have to re-install my re-installation:biggrin: This time I will give priority to the anti-virus SW.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no problem..

After reading this I went into the Control Panel -> System & Security & turned off any schedule for backups.
In the past I've never had to do this extra step.

However it seems to have worked. I'm no longer getting the pop out window.

Thanks for the tip :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought everything was settled when I did a complete re-install. Then I decided to install the free version of the anti-virus program AVG. In the past this process has been trouble free. BUT...nothing remains the same:biggrin:

It keeps on giving a message that it needs to restart to complete the installation. This message keeps on showing up so I think there is a problem with the installation. Tried to use the uninstall program that is part of Win 7 but it tells me I have insufficient admin rights.

Good grief I'm now having problems with an anti-virus program. The windows platform is by itself difficult to maintain but now the applications are making it even harder. This time I took the precaution of making a backup of a fresh install.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Good grief I'm now having problems with an anti-virus program. The windows platform is by itself difficult to maintain but now the applications are making it even harder. This time I took the precaution of making a backup of a fresh install.

Get a Mac you won't look back.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
use HiJack THis to check what are the unknown softwares running.

use ccleaner to remove.

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
try tcp optimizer
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Description: The TCP Optimizer is a free, easy Windows program that provides an intuitive interface for tuning and optimizing your Internet connection. There is no installation required, just download and run.

The program can aid both the novice and the advanced user in tweaking related TCP/IP parameters in Windows, making it easy to tune your system to the type of Internet connection used. The tool uses advanced algorithms, and the bandwidth*delay product to find the best TCP Window for your specific connection speed. It provides for easy tuning of all related TCP/IP parameters, such as MTU, RWIN, and even advanced ones like QoS and ToS/Diffserv prioritization. The program works with all current versions of Windows, and includes additional tools, such as testing average latency over multiple hosts, and finding the largest possible packet size (MTU).

The TCP Optimizer is targeted towards broadband internet connections, however it can be helpful with tuning any internet connection type, from dialup to Gigabit+ :smile: It is completely free, requires no installation, and has been downloaded over 3 Million times.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tried the various recommended programs like Hijack, CCleaner,.... & didn't work. Was going use one of the backups I made. Even an old dog can learn, once bitten, twice shy :smile:

However before proceeding I went back to the AVG site & found an "AVG Removal Tool":eek: Very interesting that you now need a special tool to remove the program:rolleyes: You can't use the uninstall control panel that is part of Win 7. It is no wonder that it is so difficult to use Microsoft products :(

So remember if you have problems with AVG, get the "AVG Removal Tool"

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I had some free time in december & decided to do some torrenting which is a dangerous activity because you can pick up all sort of viruses, adware, malware,.. Even though I had AVG anti-virus SW installed I got infected by an irritating adware that slowed down my browser.

I tried various free anti-virus SW like Panda, AVG, McFee, Malwarebyte,.... without success. That was six months ago & I would periodically get updates to my free anti-virus SW.

Then recently about 6 months later an updated version of Malwarebyte worked to detect & remove the adware:biggrin:

The PC does not contain any critical data. I was still able to use it as a XBMC/Kodi client to watch news & movies. However if anyone intends to do torrenting better be prepared to do a fresh re-install or wait for 6 months for the anti-virus solution to catch up:smile:

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
i installed a virtual PC to do the torrenting stuff.

The PC does not contain any critical data. I was still able to use it as a XBMC/Kodi client to watch news & movies. However if anyone intends to do torrenting better be prepared to do a fresh re-install or wait for 6 months for the anti-virus solution to catch up:smile: