• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Have a problem with Win 7 not connecting to the internet

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why are you still using WINDOWS based machine?? I have phased out WINDOWS OS from my household, except one Acer notebook computer, everybody else is either using Macbook pro or Air, iPhone & iPad. I have even junked my router for a 1Tb Airport Time Capsule.

I have so much problems with Win OS & Win OS machine... I HAD ENOUGH!

Can call it a hobby. :smile:

Back when I was a Uni student I had various part-time jobs on campus doing Mac/PC support.
I would make about $1,000 to $2,000+ working part-time. This was decades ago in Canada & today many Sporeans are working full time & making the same or less :eek:

IT nowadays is of course a dead end field:(

That's how I got hooked on computers:biggrin: It was a long time ago but I still try to keep up with the times. I usually put together 2 PCs, an Intel & an Athlon machine. However currently I only have one Intel i7 machine. It uses an i7 processor. The same processor that is in my Macbook.

Athough I use both Windows & the Mac, the serious work is done on the Mac. Anyone who has ever owned a Mac will know why:biggrin:

It will probably be my last PC because PC market share is declining & people are getting smartphones & tablets. More important is that software & I don't see anything new. That's why I recently got myself an iPad. To see what all the fuss is about. The iPad air is a nifty product. So light & compact. Much easier to carry than a portable.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can call it a hobby. :smile:

Back when I was a Uni student I had various part-time jobs on campus doing Mac/PC support.
I would make about $1,000 to $2,000+ working part-time. This was decades ago in Canada & today many Sporeans are working full time & making the same or less :eek:

IT nowadays is of course a dead end field:(

That's how I got hooked on computers:biggrin: It was a long time ago but I still try to keep up with the times. I usually put together 2 PCs, an Intel & an Athlon machine. However currently I only have one Intel i7 machine. It uses an i7 processor. The same processor that is in my Macbook.

Athough I use both Windows & the Mac, the serious work is done on the Mac. Anyone who has ever owned a Mac will know why:biggrin:

It will probably be my last PC because PC market share is declining & people are getting smartphones & tablets. More important is that software & I don't see anything new. That's why I recently got myself an iPad. To see what all the fuss is about. The iPad air is a nifty product. So light & compact. Much easier to carry than a portable.

I a amateur in this, more a hobbyist...started way back when computers were huge thing & learning simple computing , back then it was COBOL, PASCUAL...then UNIX, SCO UNIX....& so forth, just for the fun of it. Then came DOS & desktops, MAC came out...but it was too expensive to buy one...only have the chance to use MAC only sneaking in back then, the marketing department...

Used MS based OS...DOS, early days of Windows to recent WIN 8.1, in between, LINUX, was one part, member of the User group in SINgapore, & over years, earn some 'bread', trouble shooting people PC...just for the fun of it.

I am enough of MS....now, work is done on the MAC & iPad mini ( retina with 128MB) learning to use that not only for whatever reason we use that for, for productivity.

Have not owned a Windows based Desktop for ten years...& whenever I see any WIN based machine, I just shrug my shoulders & walk away....:wink:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I a amateur in this, more a hobbyist...started way back when computers were huge thing & learning simple computing , back then it was COBOL, PASCUAL...then UNIX, SCO UNIX....& so forth, just for the fun of it. Then came DOS & desktops, MAC came out...but it was too expensive to buy one...only have the chance to use MAC only sneaking in back then, the marketing department...

Used MS based OS...DOS, early days of Windows to recent WIN 8.1, in between, LINUX, was one part, member of the User group in SINgapore, & over years, earn some 'bread', trouble shooting people PC...just for the fun of it.

I am enough of MS....now, work is done on the MAC & iPad mini ( retina with 128MB) learning to use that not only for whatever reason we use that for, for productivity.

Have not owned a Windows based Desktop for ten years...& whenever I see any WIN based machine, I just shrug my shoulders & walk away....:wink:

In the early days I could never afford to buy a computer. My 1st experience with computers was with an Amdahl mainframe, a knock off of an IBM 360. The OS was MTS(Michigan time sharing system). I learned programing concepts using Pascal, APL, ALGOL,.. One had to learn to type to enter all those lengthy commands :(

At the U of A, they had computer labs filled with Macs, PCs & UNIX machines Students & even the public were free to use these computers when there were no classes scheduled. The Macs were very popular because they are so user friendly. Back then Macwrite must have been the most popular application. I had a friend who wrote her thesis on a Mac. This was ground breaking as at that time type writers were still popular because computer were still difficult to use, Apple's laserwriter changed everything.

I was also involved with a user group. The Mac User group was a great place to get share ware & other applications. At each meeting there would be people who would bring their luggable Macintoshes & set up shop in one corner .

People forget that the Mac introduced WYSIWYG to the masses. Programs like Ms Word/Excel 1st appeared on the Mac because windows on the PC didn't exist. Back then there was only DOS & it's stupid 640k limit.

The Mac came with free copies of Macwrite & Macpaint. These were ground breaking applications. Apple could have taken the market back then, except that Apple hardware was too expensive. Fortunately Apple ver 2.0 is smarter & today we have reasonably priced Apple hardware.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sometimes we forget to backup our data until it is too late :o

I do back up my data files. Even burn them to CDs. However I've never thought of backing up the operating system
I was thinking of using a Western Digital Passport External HDD to do backups. I notice that the passport comes with a backup software,

Anyone know if the backup SW will backup everything on my HDD? Including the installed Window 7 OS ? Or will it only backup the data files:confused:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
haven't you heard of norton ghost???:p

I do back up my data files. Even burn them to CDs. However I've never thought of backing up the operating system
I was thinking of using a Western Digital Passport External HDD to do backups. I notice that the passport comes with a backup software,

Anyone know if the backup SW will backup everything on my HDD? Including the installed Window 7 OS ? Or will it only backup the data files:confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
haven't you heard of norton ghost???:p

Only tried their anti virus program & found it was obtrusive,

The backup SW is FREE with every WD passport . So before looking at other solutions would like to verify whether or not the WD can/cannot do a full backup.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just one simple question, why do you think Mcaffee is given free when you buy laptops, whereas you have to fork out money to buy norton? please dun tell me that cos' mcaffee is better...:rolleyes:

you chump. Norton is one of the worst anti-virus softwares. use the free ones like Avast or AVG.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just one simple question, why do you think Mcaffee is given free when you buy laptops, whereas you have to fork out money to buy norton? please dun tell me that cos' mcaffee is better...:rolleyes:

Only gong kias purchase Norton software.

McAfee made a deal with the various PC manufacturers to bundle their software with the new machines. It is a marketing thing. Whether the customer has to pay for it or not has no bearing on the quality of the software.

You are an idiot. :rolleyes:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dumb dumb... cos majority still prefer norton, and that's why mcaffee is cheaply bundled in a marketing process.

Only gong kias purchase Norton software.

McAfee made a deal with the various PC manufacturers to bundle their software with the new machines. It is a marketing thing. Whether the customer has to pay for it or not has no bearing on the quality of the software.

You are an idiot. :rolleyes:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
fyi, you can only find expensive laptops like toshiba with bundled norton, look at dell and hp, you will know immediately that anti-virus like mcaffee is cheap and lousy stuff...

LOL... you make it sound as though Norton/Symantec doesn't bundle its software with OEMs. :rolleyes:

The majority hate Norton/Symantec's bloatware.

FYI, bundling is not cheap. The software company has to pay considerable money to the hardware manufacturers.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

When it comes the backups, I'm more "kiasu" than any Singaporean simply because I hate losing all my settings and preferences and having to dig up activation codes to reactivate software.

I run my Mac Pro off a PCI SSD because it is the fastest bus available.

This one : http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/RAID

I then backup the whole drive to another SSD mounted in the SATA bay. This one : http://techreport.com/review/26170/crucial-m550-solid-state-drive-reviewed

SSDs are blazingly fast but they still are not as reliable as a good old HDD. I therefore have a routine that backs up the back up the Crucial SSD to another HDD in the SATA bay too. The Mac Pro has 4 slots and a bracket which makes the Drives very easy to simply plug in.

I use Superduper to clone the whole hard drive and make it bootable. CC Cloner is another great option which is better than Superduper because it gives the option to carry on copying even if a bad block is discovered. With Superduper, the copying process will halt if any corrupted data is detected without telling you what went wrong. My next purchase will therefore be CC cloner.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is really a pain backing up all my bookmarks & passwords. Nowadays they are forcing people to change their passwords more often because of suspected breaches in security:( There's no way I can remember so many unique passwords:eek:

I've decided to reformat & do a fresh install of Windows 7.

Wonder if people are using the 32 or 64 bit versions of Windows:confused:
In the past I've stayed with 32. However the biggest problem with that is that I am limited to only 2GB partitions. Is there anyone using 64bit? Would be interested in hearing the pros & cons.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
64 bit recommended, no cons...provided your intel architecture can support. just imagine 2 SBS buses with 32 and 64 passengers, which is more efficient?

It is really a pain backing up all my bookmarks & passwords. Nowadays they are forcing people to change their passwords more often because of suspected breaches in security:( There's no way I can remember so many unique passwords:eek:

I've decided to reformat & do a fresh install of Windows 7.

Wonder if people are using the 32 or 64 bit versions of Windows:confused:
In the past I've stayed with 32. However the biggest problem with that is that I am limited to only 2GB partitions. Is there anyone using 64bit? Would be interested in hearing the pros & cons.