• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FUKUSHIMA Updates : Your Front Row Seats To The End Of The World........

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On November 12, TEPCO said 3 fuel assemblies in the Spent Fuel Pool of Reactor 4 were deformed and would be difficult to remove.

According to TEPCO, 1 damaged fuel assembly is bent at a 90-degree angle while 2 had small holes on the outside from foreign objects.

Removing 400 tonnes of spent fuel is an unprecedented operation fraught with risk. Plucking more than 1,500 brittle and damaged fuel assemblies from the plant’s unstable Reactor No. 4 is expected to take about a year. If the rods, which weigh around 300 kg and are 4.5 metres long – are exposed to air or if they break, huge amounts of radioactive gases would be released into the atmosphere.

A robot at Fukushima has for the first time identified where highly radioactive water is leaking from the No.1 reactor’s containment vessel. TEPCO engineers say the leaks looks as if tap water is gushing out. Radiation levels in the area were extremely high. Engineers suspect that damage at the No. 2 and 3 reactors is also causing similar leaks with contaminated water flowing down into the ground.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tepco admitted that boron buffers between the nuclear fuel rods have disintegrated. So the only thing preventing a chain reaction from occurring is the fact they put all sorts of boron in the water. But if the rods get too close to each other, they can fire up again and create a chain reaction in the nuclear fuel pool.

Engineers will have to take out each fuel rod one by one without mishap, and overcome the risks of fire, earthquake and the pool boiling dry. The fuel rods can ignite if they lose coolant, or explode if they collide.

Fuel rods are already cracked and leaking radioactive gases in Fukushima Unit 4 pool.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why international scientist and engineer do not go there to help?

since they've been lying to the world say no big deal the last 2 years.................if they ask for help now......2 years later..........mah expose their own lies.................

plus if the world knowss it's a serious problem................Jap economy will crash............

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never.... never ever ... have sympathy for the Japs for I have seen what they did in Singapore in 1942. My misfortune for being so old... old enough to see evil then. It's Kharma. Avoid Japan or Japanese if possible less you too suffer just by association. They are doomed.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
since they've been lying to the world say no big deal the last 2 years.................if they ask for help now......2 years later..........mah expose their own lies.................

plus if the world knowss it's a serious problem................Jap economy will crash............

I hope the IOC realise that there is a problem soon and take the Olympics away from Tokyo. IOC members as usual kenna bribed to give them the Olympics hosting rights.

ahhock24

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope the IOC realise that there is a problem soon and take the Olympics away from Tokyo. IOC members as usual kenna bribed to give them the Olympics hosting rights.

In their haste to secure the hosting right, Japan has promised fireworks display in the finale so big that everyone at every parts of the world can witness. :smile:

J

JeanGrey

Never.... never ever ... have sympathy for the Japs for I have seen what they did in Singapore in 1942. My misfortune for being so old... old enough to see evil then. It's Kharma. Avoid Japan or Japanese if possible less you too suffer just by association. They are doomed.

their karmic debt has been repaid many times over when they had the "honor" of being the only country in the world to kena nuke; twice.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is never enough, please read on, Japanese would lie to make a few more buck and you die is your problem.

A few of the ROD was damage way back in 1982 and they swept it under the carpets, trust a jap to come clean, nah, they appear honest and polite in appearance to fool you, deep down they are evil bastard.

As for the so called expert from US , he is so full of shit, impress by how TEPCO hide all it problem maybe.

Some spent fuel rods at Fukushima were damaged before 2011 disaster

By Aaron Sheldrick

National Nov. 15, 2013 - 01:56PM JST ( 34 )

TOKYO —

Three of the spent fuel assemblies due to be carefully plucked from the crippled Japanese nuclear plant at Fukushima in a hazardous year-long operation were damaged even before the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that knocked out the facility.

The plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO), said the damaged assemblies - 4.5-meter high racks containing 50-70 thin rods of highly irradiated used fuel - can’t be removed from Fukushima’s Reactor No. 4 using the large cask assigned to taking out more than 1,500 of the assemblies.

One of the assemblies was damaged as far back as 1982, when it was mishandled during a transfer, and is bent out of shape, TEPCO said in a brief note at the bottom of an 11-page information sheet in August.

In a statement from April 2010, TEPCO said it found two other spent fuel racks in the reactor’s cooling pool had what appeared to be wire trapped in them. Rods in those assemblies have pin-hole cracks and are leaking low-level radioactive gases, TEPCO spokesman Yoshikazu Nagai told Reuters on Thursday.

The existence of the damaged racks, reported in a Fukushima regional newspaper on Wednesday, came to light as TEPCO prepares to begin decommissioning the plant by removing all the spent fuel assemblies from Reactor No. 4.

“The three fuel assemblies ... cannot be transported by cask,” TEPCO spokeswoman Mayumi Yoshida said in an emailed response to queries on Thursday, referring to the large steel chamber that will be used to shift the fuel assemblies from the pool high up in the damaged reactor building to safe storage.

“We are currently reviewing how to transport these fuel assemblies to the common spent fuel pool,” she said.

TEPCO is due within days to begin removing 400 tons of the dangerous spent fuel in a hugely delicate and unprecedented operation fraught with risk. Each assembly contains radiation equivalent to around 10 times that of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945.

Having to deal with the damaged assemblies is likely to make that task more difficult and could jeopardise a 12-month time frame to complete the removal that many have already called ambitious.

Three reactors suffered core meltdowns at the Fukushima Daiichi plant after the March 2011 disaster that triggered explosions and forced the evacuation of 160,000 people from nearby towns and villages.

TEPCO, which has floundered in trying to bring the plant under control in the two and a half years since the disaster, is now moving to full decommissioning at the six-reactor facility.

The most urgent task is to remove the fuel assemblies from the unstable Reactor No. 4, which due to their height - about 18 meters above ground level - are more vulnerable to any new earthquake. The operation is seen as a test of TEPCO’s ability to move ahead with decommissioning the whole facility - a task likely to take decades and cost tens of billions of dollars.

Lake Barrett, a former U.S. nuclear regulator who is advising TEPCO, visited the Fukushima site on Wednesday and endorsed preparations for the removal of the assemblies.

“While removal of the fuel is usually a routine procedure in operating a power plant, the damage to the reactor building has made the job more complex,” he said, adding he was “genuinely impressed by the thoroughness of the effort and TEPCO’s contingency planning.”

TEPCO has said the assembly removal process will begin around mid-November, but has not given an exact date, citing what it says are security reasons.

The assemblies must first be lifted from their storage frames in the pool and individually placed in a steel cask - kept all the while under water to prevent overheating. The cask, weighing around 90 tons when filled, will then be hoisted by crane from the pool, lowered to ground level and transported by trailer to a common storage pool about 100 meters away.

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i already banned all japan food... luckily Thailand's fuji is from thailand itself, so no problem..

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

no need worry about Olympics............yet lah................

if the removal of fuel rods which will take a year to complete....................meaning one year for things to cock up...........

if really cock up..................no one left to take part in Olympics liao...............

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fukushima released up to 100,000 times more cesium-137 in surface ocean waters than Chernobyl or nuclear weapons testing

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Radiation will seep into the Pacific for decades, remaining dangerous for hundreds of generations throughout the planet. They knew of a full meltdown on the first day of the disaster, and 3 full meltdowns by the third day, they denied this for 3 months.

Rice contaminated above legal level is mixed with uncontaminated rice, contaminating the food supply but the most disastrous thing is to allow children to remain in contaminated areas and not removed from contaminated areas immediately.

CBC News: Very odd happenings in Pacific; Sea creatures acting strangely, species turning up where rarely seen — L.A. Lifeguard: Used to be 2 shark sightings a year, now it’s 2 a day. While thousands of whales, killer whales, dolphins and sharks have been massing off the west coast of North America.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All-time high radiation level at Fukushima plant — 1.1 billion Bq/m³ of strontium-90, other beta emitters — highly contaminated water leaking into sea.

Tepco : Fuel is damaged in 2 Fukushima pools — 150 billion Bq/m³ of Cesium-137 at Unit 3.

Sea star die-off now over entire West Coast; from one species to others — they’re all melting at once.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
All-time high radiation level at Fukushima plant — 1.1 billion Bq/m³ of strontium-90, other beta emitters — highly contaminated water leaking into sea.

Tepco : Fuel is damaged in 2 Fukushima pools — 150 billion Bq/m³ of Cesium-137 at Unit 3.

Sea star die-off now over entire West Coast; from one species to others — they’re all melting at once.

Where is the source?