• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fishing kaki

fenwick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have been fishing in Pulau Aur ( off Mersing ) for about 9 yrs. Actually didn't catch much Sail fish but lots of Marlin ( but mostly between 35kg - 50kg ) . Cheers

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I forgot to add way 1994 a group of my kakis used to fish at Singkep, very southern part of Bintang, we flew by skyvan from Seletar airport, to Batam pp stamp continue our journey to Singkep, a guy by the name Thomas was operating with 2 - 50 footer boat very comfortable, our cost air ticket was than $235.00, fishing cost per person $250.00 for 3day 2nite of fishing,

Captain was Jamal, this guy was a very good Pawang, we get very good catch back in 94 we fish 4 times a year, Oct 94 there was very bad haze, plane can't land, we return to Batam, and waited 2 hours , 3 guys gave up took a ferry from Batam to Singapore, the rest of us Hardcore Fishermen continued return to Singkep landed safely, that particular day fishing was fantastic, there were Red snapper every where, you place 3 hooks you get 3 merah size 1 to 3 kg.

We were with this CHinese Boat Captain, and Jamal was in the other bigger boat, unfortunately after lunch some smart alex wanted to change spot, this Chinese Captain lost his way due to back Haze, from 2 pm this captain struggle till 11 pm to reached shore!!

I made my own swivel (1.5mm steel cable), ranggong (1.5 & 2mm steel cable) and fishing weighs lead, I have got different shape mould made of aluminum for Moulding weighs..so u see how serious I am into fishing...

cheers:biggrin::rolleyes::biggrin:
cheers

fenwick

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think i know this Thomas . Use to own a kelong in Dabo Singkep also. But he stop running fishing charters for quite long liao.

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, true what bro Fenwick said about the marlins in and around Aur.

Sailfish can be found just a bit further north and much closer to shore. In some places they are only about half hour off shore by boat. The hotspots if i am not wrong are, Penyabong, Rompin, Merchong. Sizes range from 15 - 35kg. Happy fishin and practice catch & release!!

fenwick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, true what bro Fenwick said about the marlins in and around Aur.

Sailfish can be found just a bit further north and much closer to shore. In some places they are only about half hour off shore by boat. The hotspots if i am not wrong are, Penyabong, Rompin, Merchong. Sizes range from 15 - 35kg. Happy fishin and practice catch & release!!

Yes bro, esspecially at Rompin around 4 -5 yrs back. It was like sail fish everywhere! Groups after groups of our anglers were there every week ! Still remember this boatman call " Jangut " , i think he was making lots of money for at least 2-3 yrs :rolleyes: And bottom fishing was productive also lots of Parrot fish and your favourite " EBEK " bro:biggrin:

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think i know this Thomas . Use to own a kelong in Dabo Singkep also. But he stop running fishing charters for quite long liao.

You're right Thomas Lim has changed hp number thereafter lost contact, he's my good friend. He used to partner Ah Seng from Mersing he was cheat of the collection from kelong, end of the day he invested RM100k got return RM 40k, then he went to own Dabo Singkep, big boat Claire name after his daughter. Small forgot name liao.
cheers

:eek::biggrin:::rolleyes:

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
I forgot to add way 1994 a group of my kakis used to fish at Singkep, very southern part of Bintang, we flew by skyvan from Seletar airport, to Batam pp stamp continue our journey to Singkekp

Nice to read about yr exploits uncle. Any other fishing stories to share with us? Thanks

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nice to read about yr exploits uncle. Any other fishing stories to share with us? Thanks

Not retiring from fishing but take it easier nowadays because can not tahan expenses, they are very expensive!! I only fish in the deep sea, on land and kelong I don't fish why? because if it doesn't rock I don't fish.

1967 to 1981 I used only handline..rookie stage

1981 bought my first reel Abu 9000 with 25 lbs trilene mono filament line..with Abu M30 fibre glass rod, damn strong rod can lift up almost anything, during 80's Sedili days there were lots of Large sting ray ,
nobody wants them.

Today I have collected 2pcs - Abu 10000, 2 pcs Abu 6500, Penn 12T, Penn 990, Shimano TLD 25. Think I had enough reels already. Mostly loaded with braided lines..still have my spare 120 lbs Dupont handline as emergency
or some time there lots of biggies I would used handline..

I have got many hobbies, in the 80s I do Competitve Archery 81 - 84, still can shoot very well, just try out at Genting Highland recently using those amateur bow, still group the bunch of arrow together..in the bull eye..we were in SEA games 83 in SG, me Captain..Robinhood..

Took up cycling roadie since 84 till today...this is the best excercise you
can take up easily, but with proper guidance, you can do it...

I play golf on every Saturday in Malaysia, nowsdays with the bad jam, it's putting lots ppl off...ppl give up because of JAM, JAM for no reason...

Brothers here want to join me you're most welcome..

cheers

:biggrin: :rolleyes: :p

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Great fisherman don't use rod. Most of the time I see boatman using handline. Nowdays rod doesn't seen to be improve much any more. Materail use normally carbon or fibre glass only quality or grade different abit. Overall not much different only weight slightly lighter by 10~20% max. But the price is tripple.
For me fishing 3kg and below, I prefer using spinner moore fun, But for fish 5kg and above just have to use conventional/overhead reel or will take long time to land the fish.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about fishing rods ? Any good stuff which you have collected !

Got Abu M30 2 pieces gave one to my fren, Shakespeare Ugly Stick Tiger Yellow color from USA 6 footer and a 7 footer 2 pieces, Loomis Franklin 6 footer rod, One trolling rod can't remember brand, I built one 6 footer single piece rod myself, coaching from my American Japanese fren. 2 pieces light weigh fishing rod from USA.

The last time Siow Chiang at Beach offer to buy back Ugly stick for $300.00 each told Lau Chiang I want to keep and used it.

cheers

:biggrin: :wink: :p

fenwick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ugly stik Tiger wow it's one of the most talk about by shakespeare ! Many old timers worship this rod ! As for me just look at my nick... cheers

fenwick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great fisherman don't use rod. Most of the time I see boatman using handline.

Bro at most we can only say they are great boatmans cos they're fishing most of the time la. But great fisherman always uses rod and reels ! Imagine how are you going to land a lets say 500lb Marlin or Tuna with handline . Impossible ! The true great fisherman in my heart always " ZANE GREY " the legend ! Cheers and Happy Fishing bro Cestbon :wink:

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro at most we can only say they are great boatmans cos they're fishing most of the time la. But great fisherman always uses rod and reels ! Imagine how are you going to land a lets say 500lb Marlin or Tuna with handline . Impossible ! The true great fisherman in my heart always " ZANE GREY " the legend ! Cheers and Happy Fishing bro Cestbon :wink:

Can use handline, when get a 500 lbs Marlin, just the tie the line to the boat let the fish pull the boat, Marlin will get tired, than we'll gaff the fish,tie the tail to the boat.. ha ha..Today I also use handline fishing TP very good feel, even when current is strong, still get big fish, I don't use glove just bare hands..fight...fight..shiok...!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

SammyPapa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alamak, Why spend so much time and money...

Just walk/ride to Rochor canal opposite Sim Lim and fish as much as you want....

Well most locals do it!:rolleyes:

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi fishing kakis Kuailan, Cestbon, fenwick etc. Handline is the tool of a traditionalist and for me still the best way to feel a bite. But nowadays we have braided line, so it increases the feel of a fish bite and so thats why fishing with rod & reel has taken off i believe.

fenwick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can use handline, when get a 500 lbs Marlin, just the tie the line to the boat let the fish pull the boat, Marlin will get tired, than we'll gaff the fish,tie the tail to the boat..

Ha think you must have got this idea from Hemingway right uncle kuailan? But if you manage to get 1 please release the fish la don't gaff it ok. Getting less nowadays :wink:

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ha think you must have got this idea from Hemingway right uncle kuailan? But if you manage to get 1 please release the fish la don't gaff it ok. Getting less nowadays :wink:

Yes bro, agree with that. Definite.

Ah... ernest hemingway - The old Man and the Sea. I think he did more to romantisice fishing than anyone else in history.