• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fathers' Chatgroup Thread

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel this is applicable to all aspects of life

No child is ever a born loser. This characterisation is so wrong & uncalled for.
Allow me to share more. My kid was an express student in CHIJ & took higher chinese in Pri. Was always a good student till she went sec but then her grades dropped to either pass or fail. Major drop. If I had that kind of mentality, which my mom had, who scolded my kid stupid many times, i would think like what you said. But I didn't. Instead remembering how I benefited here when I too did my degree & Master's here in the 90s, I told myself the edu sys in sinkie may not fit my child.
Why? Coming from "N" Lvl. Doing Tafe in RMIT then to Monash Uni for Bach & Masters. Oh trust me, I know the diff between sg & aus edu sys.
After we came here, I enrolled her to PLC (Presbyterian Ladies College) where she had to start from Yr10. Aced it by the way. Went to Monash Clayton aced it again & was offered scholarship at Uni of MEl. What I observed. In SG, she was always so tired, drained & very low morale. When she came here, I saw my long lost child appear again. Happy, bubbly full of life & NOISE!!! Yes, noise. She was 14 or sec 2 when we came up here.
If I had left her to continue there in sinkie, like even she herself says nowadays, she'd prolly be working somewhere already.
Of course, if even this option failed, then I agree, they're not cut out academically but how many even tried this other way before casting that judgement to their child?
Borrowing that part is very subjective. Always 2 sides of the coin. Imagine kid wants to study & can study but parents no moolah how? That's why I say subjective.

Sad ya:notworthy:
But not everyone has the financial capability to emigrate like you. To a place like Australia, it means you'll have to give up and sell all your assets in Singapore and settled there for good or for worse. There's no turning back.

We'd been to Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne before, but just for tours. For us, Australia is not suitable (to each his own) because of rampant racial discrimination. Once in Perth, we were at a traffic crossroad junction waiting for the greenman to cross. A car drove up next to us with a few teenagers inside and they wound down the windows and shouted to us: "You Asians go back to your country, we don't welcome you here". My friend who was at Brisbane had an even worse experience as they splashed some fluid (probably urine) at him under the same circumstances.

Last edited:

hollowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel this is applicable to all aspects of life

No child is ever a born loser. This characterisation is so wrong & uncalled for.
Allow me to share more. My kid was an express student in CHIJ & took higher chinese in Pri. Was always a good student till she went sec but then her grades dropped to either pass or fail. Major drop. If I had that kind of mentality, which my mom had, who scolded my kid stupid many times, i would think like what you said. But I didn't. Instead remembering how I benefited here when I too did my degree & Master's here in the 90s, I told myself the edu sys in sinkie may not fit my child.
Why? Coming from "N" Lvl. Doing Tafe in RMIT then to Monash Uni for Bach & Masters. Oh trust me, I know the diff between sg & aus edu sys.
After we came here, I enrolled her to PLC (Presbyterian Ladies College) where she had to start from Yr10. Aced it by the way. Went to Monash Clayton aced it again & was offered scholarship at Uni of MEl. What I observed. In SG, she was always so tired, drained & very low morale. When she came here, I saw my long lost child appear again. Happy, bubbly full of life & NOISE!!! Yes, noise. She was 14 or sec 2 when we came up here.
If I had left her to continue there in sinkie, like even she herself says nowadays, she'd prolly be working somewhere already.
Of course, if even this option failed, then I agree, they're not cut out academically but how many even tried this other way before casting that judgement to their child?
Borrowing that part is very subjective. Always 2 sides of the coin. Imagine kid wants to study & can study but parents no moolah how? That's why I say subjective.

Sad ya:notworthy:
There comes a time to be clear minded in deciding if the child still has a hope or hopeless I.e born as a loser.
I know a father who just refused to come to term with it and put false hope on the child I.e forcing it thru pte Uni and even when the loser child started to work, the father still need to help with the credit card payments even the useless degree starting at 2.8k.
As a bystander long ago, i already knew the child was a hopeless one just that the father refused to acknowledge it.

LittleP

Alfrescian
Loyal
But not everyone has the financial capability to emigrate like you. To a place like Australia, it means you'll have to give up and sell all your assets in Singapore and settled there for good or for worse. There's no turning back.

We'd been to Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne before, but just for tours. For us, Australia is not suitable (to each his own) because of rampant racial discrimination. Once in Perth, we were at a traffic crossroad junction waiting for the greenman to cross. A car drove up next to us with a few teenagers inside and they wound down the windows and shouted to us: "You Asians go back to your country, we don't welcome you here". My friend who was at Brisbane had an even worse experience as they splashed some fluid (probably urine) at him under the same circumstances.
Actually, you would never know a place till you really get your feet wet. Touring alone won't give you that opportunity to really learn about any country. Just like in SG, tourists calls it a beautiful place, locals call it another.
As for the emigrate part, I didn't migrate here on investor visa. On the contrary, I was offered PR after I finished my master's at Monash. I never even applied in the first place. But after being here for 8yrs on edu alone, moved around & knew the place well, yes racism was & is everywhere, I weighed the pros & cons & decided to maintain it while flying up & down to do my business here & in sg only deciding to take the leap after what I've seen happening there & comparing to what I've seen in my working life staying in PRC & other countries for years too. The same was coming then. I made the right choice to take the leap. As I hv predicted, the only way is down & sg is still not at the trough yet!!! But it'll get there.

Racism is also rampant in sinkieland. Only thing is, there's no freedom of speech & expression. Apply it & see what happens :roflmao:

LittleP

Alfrescian
Loyal
There comes a time to be clear minded in deciding if the child still has a hope or hopeless I.e born as a loser.
I know a father who just refused to come to term with it and put false hope on the child I.e forcing it thru pte Uni and even when the loser child started to work, the father still need to help with the credit card payments even the useless degree starting at 2.8k.
As a bystander long ago, i already knew the child was a hopeless one just that the father refused to acknowledge it.
Sigh, a father's aspiration. He failed to acknowledge what his kid wants vs what he himself wants. Thus this backfire

LittleP

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know a famous chef, ang moh, at crown. He left school at 15. Can't study for nuts lol. Always ranked top 3 from below. Now, he's a famous chef & is my neighbour. We have coffee at each others place often & we share our life stories. Our families are very close now. But I will not call him a loser though. His path in life is just different from the mainstream chasing academia :rolleyes:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, you would never know a place till you really get your feet wet. Touring alone won't give you that opportunity to really learn about any country. Just like in SG, tourists calls it a beautiful place, locals call it another.
As for the emigrate part, I didn't migrate here on investor visa. On the contrary, I was offered PR after I finished my master's at Monash. I never even applied in the first place. But after being here for 8yrs on edu alone, moved around & knew the place well, yes racism was & is everywhere, I weighed the pros & cons & decided to maintain it while flying up & down to do my business here & in sg only deciding to take the leap after what I've seen happening there & comparing to what I've seen in my working life staying in PRC & other countries for years too. The same was coming then. I made the right choice to take the leap. As I hv predicted, the only way is down & sg is still not at the trough yet!!! But it'll get there.

Racism is also rampant in sinkieland. Only thing is, there's no freedom of speech & expression. Apply it & see what happens :roflmao:
PRC is definitely a no-no. Too many con people there. Once we took a pirate taxi from Beijing to QinHuanDao. A few kilometers just before the exit to the toll booth, the driver stopped to change to a fake rear license plate. Upon reaching the toll booth, he tailed the car in front very closely and when the barrier was raised, he drove passed the barrier together with the front vehicle and hence, without having to pay for his toll fee. I was told that they even have a syndicate at the toll area so that the driver can contact them (via handphone) to ask if there are any police patrols at the toll booth area around that time. Even for a few dollars, they would also want to cheat. There are many more instances I had encountered which I don't even want to mention anymore.

Last edited:

LittleP

Alfrescian
Loyal
PRC is definitely a no-no. Too many con people there. Once we took a pirate taxi from Beijing to QinHuanDao. A few kilometers just before the exit to the toll booth, the driver stopped to change to a fake rear license plate. Upon reaching the toll booth, he tailed the car in front very closely and when the barrier was raised, he drove passed the barrier together with the front vehicle and hence, without having to pay for his toll fee. I was told that they even have a syndicate at the toll area so that the driver can contact them (via handphone) to ask if there are any police patrols at the toll booth area around that time. Even for a few dollars, they would also want to cheat.
That's exactly my point. You are expecting a by the book society. There's actually non so intense like sg. If you using SG as a benchmark, then you'll be stuck there forever. PRC was a very good stay for me. I learned alot & honed my predatory & street smart skills there. There is no perfect society. What one must use as a gauge is what they want, what they need & what they can forgo. I did my list then. It was clear, if i want a life for my family & be free, aus it is. If i want to be rich & live poor + kpkb day in day out VTO crap, then I'll stay put there. Now HDB also 800k liao I read. You can buy a 1bdr atas apt here already. Here, I live with dignity. There......pray you die fast if you are not cash rich.
Simple deciding factor for me.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's exactly my point. You are expecting a by the book society. There's actually non so intense like sg. If you using SG as a benchmark, then you'll be stuck there forever. PRC was a very good stay for me. I learned alot & honed my predatory & street smart skills there. There is no perfect society. What one must use as a gauge is what they want, what they need & what they can forgo. I did my list then. It was clear, if i want a life for my family & be free, aus it is. If i want to be rich & live poor + kpkb day in day out VTO crap, then I'll stay put there. Now HDB also 800k liao I read. You can buy a 1bdr atas apt here already. Here, I live with dignity. There......pray you die fast if you are not cash rich.
Simple deciding factor for me.
I've also traveled far and wide, both for work (alone) and for leisure (with my wife). I would say that we have travelled to almost of the world already. If a place is already giving me horrible expectations within a few days or weeks of my stay, I doubt I'm going to like it for the rest of my life. We find that Japan is very comforting, but not the language barrier and its high cost of living, although the latter has come down lately. The most horrible place would be India where even a Yes or No means the same by shaking his head left and right and everyday eating chapati and Indian dal. :eek:

LittleP

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've also traveled far and wide, both for work (alone) and for leisure (with my wife). I would say that we have travelled to almost of the world already. If a place is already giving me horrible expectations within a few days or weeks of my stay, I doubt I'm going to like it for the rest of my life. We find that Japan is very comforting, but not the language barrier and its high cost of living, although the latter has come down lately. The most horrible place would be India where even a Yes or No means the same by shaking his head left and right and everyday eating chapati and Indian dal. :eek:
That's why we all have a choice & we wear what fits us best:thumbsup:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why we all have a choice & we wear what fits us best:thumbsup:
One thing I have to agree with you is that one has to struggle in Singapore if he's not cash-rich and there's no hinterland to fall back on, except probably to go to Malaysia.

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
My wife tried to apply before and was asked to do means testing. I don't even bother to pursue further. WTF?
just paperwork to qualify you for more subsidies.
otherwise by default, u only get the green card (least subsidies).

not important, just play along with the system since there's so much inflation.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
just paperwork to qualify you for more subsidies.
otherwise by default, u only get the green card (least subsidies).

not important, just play along with the system since there's so much inflation.
Anyway, they sent a letter to say that they had tried to call her, but we were in KL, Hatyai and Cameron Highlands and did not answer incoming roaming calls. So she now either has to call them back or email to them. I'll send them an email tomorrow to see what's all about? Thanks for your info.

Last edited:

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
PRC is definitely a no-no. Too many con people there. Once we took a pirate taxi from Beijing to QinHuanDao. A few kilometers just before the exit to the toll booth, the driver stopped to change to a fake rear license plate. Upon reaching the toll booth, he tailed the car in front very closely and when the barrier was raised, he drove passed the barrier together with the front vehicle and hence, without having to pay for his toll fee. I was told that they even have a syndicate at the toll area so that the driver can contact them (via handphone) to ask if there are any police patrols at the toll booth area around that time. Even for a few dollars, they would also want to cheat. There are many more instances I had encountered which I don't even want to mention anymore.
I told my kids that children in India and China are hungrier than them. The world outside don't follow rules, just don't get caught.

Last year, there was an international competition (hosted by Singapore) and my child was sent in. Everyone prepared well but in the end, all singapore teams got wiped out because the PRCs didn't give other countries a chance to speak or present. Even the moderators couldn't stop the China students; they were so brutal and hungry. Being zoom-based (because of COVID-19), time's up eventually, and the Singapore teams lost without a fight.

hahaha, same as the real world.
I am very thankful to that competition which showed my kids the real world outside..

chinese-chinese-everywhere-5b2214.jpg

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I told my kids that children in India and China are hungrier than them. The world outside don't follow rules, just don't get caught.

Last year, there was an international competition (hosted by Singapore) and my child was sent in. Everyone prepared well but in the end, all singapore teams got wiped out because the PRCs didn't give other countries a chance to speak or present. Even the moderators couldn't stop the China students; they were so brutal and hungry. Being zoom-based (because of COVID-19), time's up eventually, and the Singapore teams lost without a fight.

hahaha, same as the real world.
I am very thankful to that competition which showed my kids the real world outside..

chinese-chinese-everywhere-5b2214.jpg
The recent Winter Olympics already demonstrated how the Chinese had not only cheated, but also took unfair advantage in several of the sporting events.

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed.
Even a multi-Billionaire like you can get CDC vouchers, Etc

Knn...really Kelong.
different league. If you join grassroots, u get even more benefits.

Remember last two years government gave additional $$$ to help tourism related SMEs to survive COVID-19. A toy distributor in grassroots went on the ask his MP to write letter and got the same payouts although his industry peers did not qualify under the scheme. In a similar story, IE Singapore (now ES), gave a lot of grants to the fraudulent company that Goh's son was on board. He personally liaised with IE's accounts manager who simply approved the huge payouts without merits.

So please don't be paiseh about getting these CDC vouchers, we are not the real parasites in the system.

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
The recent Winter Olympics already demonstrated how the Chinese had not only cheated, but also took unfair advantage in several of the sporting events.
Side-track: some sports are too cruel or unfair, especially those depends on judges to grade the athletics. Then you see the poor gymnasts train until like deformed people. Humans should focus their energy on more tangible things.

Olympics should stick to the core sports like swimming, track & field and a few team sports.