• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dandy / Beano

crackhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure a lot of friends here grew up reading these.... any memories to share?

I started with Dandy while waiting for my haircut at an indian barber shop. Found them later selling at those corner Mama shops hanging on a string with a clothes-peg. Very soon moved over to Beano which I liked better. Its a waste i gave my collection of about 3 to 4, 3inch ring files (yes, I had them punch-holed and filed) to someone when I was moving house sometime in the 1990's.....

Managed to find only this over the weekend while searching for other things in another thread (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?113213-reminiscence-of-primary-school-days)

The 2000th issue (1980) of Beano and the back cover re-printing the original issue 1. Enjoy....

Beano2000coverre-size.jpg

Beano2000backre-size.jpg

I moved on to other British comics in later years (that's another story for another thread) and eventually to the American comics

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very British styled comics. Another nostalgic comic that I like is the Commando war comics.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks to Beano and Dandy, my vocab included words like Nincompoop(from the Bash Street Kids)!

I buy the hardcover annuals for my daughter from the mama shop at Holland V. She really likes them.

Cheers!

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
You all ang mo pai one...I read 老夫子when I go to the barber. Then I upgraded to HER WORLD when I discovered the Aunt Agony section. :biggrin:

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did you forget Beezer and Topper comics??? I preferred Walt Disney's Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge. Als o Archie

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I used to have stacks of them......later gave them to my younger cousins.....almost forgotten all the characters names.

Anyone read Tin Tin?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Used to save my pocket money to buy, the Dandy & Beano Year book when young. I like L'll Abner too & there was another Biritish comis series that was discontinued..I forgot the name.

crackhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did you forget Beezer and Topper comics??? I preferred Walt Disney's Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge. Als o Archie

Didn't get into Beezer and Topper. Saw them only as Adverts (probabaly in Dandy and Beano). Don't recall seeing them hanging on the string at the mama shop. Were they available in sg?

crackhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to have stacks of them......later gave them to my younger cousins.....almost forgotten all the characters names.

1) Dennis the Menance
2) The Bash Street Kids (my favs)

Anyone read Tin Tin?

Tintin - ahhhhh another one of those I read....have almost the full collection.....talk about Tintin, Asterix was just as great....
Another thread, another day.....

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
minnie the minx....corporal clott ( clinton's ancestor )....lord snooty...daddy longlegs .....

think i have a few copies still

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thanks for the memories! i also read beano and dandy when i was young then progressed to Archie and Tintin.

sfugel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I grew up every Thursday,waiting for my father to come back from work to get my copy of Dandy and Beano form the Mamak Newsagent at Katong Ceylon Road.Memories....haaahhhh.....simpler times those time.

Harry Lee

Alfrescian
Loyal
1534729-bsk_large.jpg

My fav class .........

Then I progressed to these:

1971%20War%20Comic%20-%20Gliders%20over%20Burma-%20War%20Picture%20Library%20No%20694%20-%20A%20Fleetway%20Library.jpg

Yes...... then I went on to these:

jungleisneutral_cover.jpg

Yes.... I later got an A1 for GP......

All started from Comics........

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Used to save my pocket money to buy, the Dandy & Beano Year book when young. I like L'll Abner too & there was another Biritish comis series that was discontinued..I forgot the name.

Back in those early days the Brit influence in Spore was still strong. The Strait Times had Brit cartoons like the Gambols & Andy Capp. The newstands carried Brit comics like Smash & Tiger.