• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Corruption in SCDF and CNB

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Snow

I envy you as you are able to get away from all the rat race here. Just joking bro.

All the best to you and may you have peace, great health, happiness, prosperity and progress in that huge open country.

Hopefully in my "next life" I would be born there.

To a certain extent, I got away from the apparent rat race in Singapore. May be the only rat race for me is the one I created for myself, if we can refer to my conpetitive spirit.

Nothing to envy about me, because Singapore has its advantages and "good life." I did not participate in the apparent rat race, and as a result, I am also not financially wealthy to be able to afford the big house, frequent travels, business class flights, and five star or five diamond hotels.

Thank you for your kind and good wishes. Thank GOD that we are blessed with peace, comfort and good health, as well as the free medicare in Canada (hopefully, it will continue to be free). Cheers.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do agree with the need to review the set-up. I would also suggest that their staffing competency needs to be improved. They have a history of missing the obvious cases.

My sense is that CPIB needs to be overseen by PSC equivalent board of governors. Audit Depts typically have a line to the board and to risk committee which must include an independent director.

It is THE only enforcement agency in S'pore when you can be on bail for years !!!! And if you probe, CPIB chaps will invite you to complain to PMO. My friend kena but chose not to antagonize them coz while he is guilty, evidence weak against him. Hahaaaa.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Union Station in Toronto

Since there is an interest about BL, let me throw in what I know and add to what GD has stated. I think I have said these things in the past.

BL now sits at the apex of Intelligence for Singapore. This role was originally conceived after 9/11 and follows the approach similar to the Australian Office of National Assessment. He has also been tasked to identify senior talent for the Govt within PMO. This is in addition to his Nat Development remit where sensitivities of pop demographics and housing comes into play.

BL has exceptional EQ. I first met him in 1980 and you could tell that he was easy going, very bright, highly articulate and more importantly one of the chaps. Chubby and does not even look like a scholar but certainly had presence. He obtained a 1st class honours in English and at that time it was a rarity. As he entered service (similar to ramseth) as a regular straight from school without doing NS, his NS component was built into the required 5 years Police service. Shortly after joining as a PC, he left for Uni. If he was not in the scheme, I am sure he would have been absorbed into Admin Service from day 1.

There is also another interesting aspect to BL - the habit of breaking rules that don't make sense or has little significance.

Like everything in life, a little help is needed. Old man knows his father.

If he has any flaws, its his habit of giving too much leeway to his friends and squad mates. His squad mates from his PC and Senior Officer Training days are in ISD and some of them are not fit to sell rojak along a five foot way. There is a Sgt who went to CNB made a mess with running informants, ran back to the Police and then taken in by BL to ISD. He is now superscale officer and this chap is still playing games.

The other thing is that he is totally devoted to the job that his marriage ended up on the rocks.

In essence, an exceptional quality individual but too nice a guy.

He remarried. Not sure what's the status of his second marriage.

Still trying to figure out the CNB chap you mentioned. There were similar others (squadmates) who went back to ISD after their careers hentak kaki in the SPF. BL took good care of them. His habit of breaking rules that doesn't make sense is highly regarded. Many in similar positions will either taichi such matters away or simply follow PGOs. Same goes for ET.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I envy you as you are able to get away from all the rat race here. Just joking bro.

All the best to you and may you have peace, great health, happiness, prosperity and progress in that huge open country.

Hopefully in my "next life" I would be born there.

Ah Koh, you believe in next life? Once cremated, ITE!

Later bro drifter will come in and 'tekan' you. Better not assume your preference to be born there coz LKY might be your PM in Canada in your next life. GMS may also be there as your neighbour. Clinton666 too.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brother [scroobal]

Thank you re: info about BL.

I am aware that he read English, but until [GoldenDragon] indication that BL went to LSE, I had no idea. By the way, did BL had to go through being a PC before he became an Inspector? Did the SPF not have direct entry to be a commissioned officer by that time? Or did the officer scheme similar to SAF's SMC start around the time of the 3 SMC, in Dec 1975?

If my memory serves me right, his thesis was on the Hong Lim election or by-election.

I think there was no direct entry scheme then. He had his "A" levels and had to start as PC. No further details.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ah Koh, you believe in next life? Once cremated, ITE!

Later bro drifter will come in and 'tekan' you. Better not assume your preference to be born there coz LKY might be your PM in Canada in your next life. GMS may also be there as your neighbour. Clinton666 too.

Please do not scare us, because the famous gentleman may grow to like the Canadian lifestyle, and plead to be born in Canada in his next life. We do not need the ISA here in the True North, Strong and Free.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal

Charlie99, please take your 'no relevance to the thread' posts somewhere else. And to GD and all else, please use your fecking brains and stop being a police prostitute. Even after you have retired, you have to behave like a dog and cream your arse for free things?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Charlie99, please take your 'no relevance to the thread' posts somewhere else. And to GD and all else, please use your fecking brains and stop being a police prostitute. Even after you have retired, you have to behave like a dog and cream your arse for free things?

Thank you sir!

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thank you for your suggestion.
Have a pleasant day.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank you for your suggestion.
Have a pleasant day.

You are most welcome. You do know that you have unopposed opportunities to start up relevant topics that suits your purpose right?

In the while, please allow Singaporeans to share their views and insights in this thread. People like GD have had decades of knowledge and freedom to feed from the destitudes in Singapore. The upshot is that Canadian policemen will not behave in such a way as other purported policemen.

Singapore has been a police state for the past 50 years. Those that worked there who have any decency would have left a few years after joining. Those that stayed are traitors of the people of Singapore. It does not require a rocket scientist to know this.

Your secrecy, if it is important, should be left as a secret.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Amen! and Kamsiah.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

NS scheme where you are paid as a regular and trained and treated as regular applies to Junior Officer scheme and the entry level is PC. You are required to serve 5 years. Yes he started as PC but shortly after went to Uni. After his degree, he went thru PSC interview and became a ASP by passing Inspector because he had honours 1st class.

There is no such scheme for Police Senior Officer. As Senior Officer direct entry requires a degree and you cannot do a degree until you finish NS. This is unlike SAF OCS where they would take A level holders.

Brother [scroobal]

Thank you re: info about BL.

I am aware that he read English, but until [GoldenDragon] indication that BL went to LSE, I had no idea. By the way, did BL had to go through being a PC before he became an Inspector? Did the SPF not have direct entry to be a commissioned officer by that time? Or did the officer scheme similar to SAF's SMC start around the time of the 3 SMC, in Dec 1975?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There is no such scheme for Police Senior Officer. As Senior Officer direct entry requires a degree and you cannot do a degree until you finish NS. This is unlike SAF OCS where they would take A level holders.
What about those few president scholars that chose to be policeman? Also go thru PC?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mostly missing. In the early years, the port, bunkering and shipping were off limits sanctioned at the highest level.
They did a big wayang some years back got a few scapegoats but the industry is more or less the same now...my nephew a bunker clerk with declared income less than 2k can afford to stay bungalow fully paid up after working a few years.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was suprised that the ban was lifted and I understand that it was the industry that requested the actions. You are right about the fortune that can be made.

They did a big wayang some years back got a few scapegoats but the industry is more or less the same now...my nephew a bunker clerk with declared income less than 2k can afford to stay bungalow fully paid up after working a few years.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

No, they go thru as NS Octs and only receive an NS allowance. Once they complete NS, they then convert to regular. A Police Officer is Div 1 position and requires degree for direct entry.

When they go overseas for their studies, they are given disruption, and come back each year during holidays to complete their NS in stages.

What about those few president scholars that chose to be policeman? Also go thru PC?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When they go overseas for their studies, they are given disruption, and come back each year during holidays to complete their NS in stages.

Before they show up in the land divisions, the commanders will alert their key officers to 'impress' these scholars. In other words, don't use vulgarities. Act civilised. Ensure these scholars report to CP or their mentors all the good work done in the divisions.

Key officers will then brief their immediate subordinates. Never teach these president scholars what real police work is all about coz one fine day, these chaps will be back as commanders and will know what goes on behind closed doors. It's all a stage.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mostly missing. In the early years, the port, bunkering and shipping were off limits sanctioned at the highest level.

If you look back at the history of CPIB, it was never meant to be a serious instituition to fight corruption. Take Singapore's trade with Indonesia for example. For years, the trade stats were classified as secret. This is because by comparing our numbers and Indonesia's numbers, you can estimate the amount of smuggling and corruption from operators based in Singapore. Known corrupt officals from Indonesia walk freely in Singapore and we steadfastly refuse to even have an extradition treaty.

If you are a young CPIB officer and you somehow wanted to start an investigation into a politically connected Indonesian fugitive accused of corruption, what do you think will happen?

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
More or less know where you are from when you mentioned Indonesian trade stats as secret. Spot on. It was in our national interest to build the Indonesia trade to counter balance the trade from Malaysia and reduce the dependency. Despite relentless pressure from the Indonesian Govt, we held firm.

I recall there was an area in PSA where containers stuffed with rags would be stored as they travel between Indonesia and Singapore back and forth under various scams to counter tariffs etc . The fact that PSA set aside this area indicates our complicity.

CPIB was asked to focus on municipal and civil service corruption. More about Police, Customs, Licencing, Hawker enforcement etc.

If you look back at the history of CPIB, it was never meant to be a serious instituition to fight corruption. Take Singapore's trade with Indonesia for example. For years, the trade stats were classified as secret. This is because by comparing our numbers and Indonesia's numbers, you can estimate the amount of smuggling and corruption from operators based in Singapore. Known corrupt officals from Indonesia walk freely in Singapore and we steadfastly refuse to even have an extradition treaty.

If you are a young CPIB officer and you somehow wanted to start an investigation into a politically connected Indonesian fugitive accused of corruption, what do you think will happen?

Last edited: