• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chelsea Supporters Come In Here !!!

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Breaking news: Carlo Ancelotti declared as new Chelsea manager

6th manager since the Roman Revolution 5 years ago.... Hope this guy stays for a while...

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interview with our new manager.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jul/06/carlo-ancelotti-chelsea-unveiling-language

Carlo Ancelotti impresses on Chelsea debut but there is much to be done

Chelsea's new manager already speaks better English than Fabio Capello, yet the key remains what happens next
Carlo-Ancelotti-004.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti's first task is to hang on to Chelsea captain John Terry.

At least we know now that Carlo Ancelotti can do comic timing. The Italian had just delivered his first address, asking for questions to be fired at him in English but at a pace that allowed him to take it all in, when the inevitable opener came: "How important is John Terry to your plans?"

"I think John Terry is a symbol of this team," replied the new Chelsea manager, "though I don't know if he will be the captain next season."

There was a gasp from the auditorium, then a brief silence while the tumbleweed drifted across the stunned scene. Yet, before anyone could even start rubbing their hands at the prospect of a blistering story to kick-start the Ancelotti era, a smile spread across the 50-year-old's face. "Naturally, I joke. I like to joke in press conferences." Hardly side-splittingly funny, but a nice ice-breaker nevertheless.

Too many of this club's recently appointed managers have seen the humour drain away prematurely, with Ancelotti now charged with bucking a trend that has seen four head coaches – Jose Mourinho, Avram Grant, Luiz Felipe Scolari and Guus Hiddink – depart within the past two years.

The Italian has the pedigree to succeed at Stamford Bridge. His eight-year spell working under the demanding Silvio Berlusconi at Milan proves as much. Yet he faces the same problems that confronted, and rather confounded, some of his predecessors: wrest domestic power from Manchester United; secure this club's first European Cup; work smoothly with Roman Abramovich; supply the attractive football the Russian so craves; command the respect of a demanding dressing room; and learn the language.

It was the last issue that occupied him most of all here. Where Mourinho's English was impeccable, Hiddink's impressive and Grant rather muttered and mumbled, Ancelotti's unveiling demanded comparison with Scolari's glittering arrival last summer.

The Brazilian, like the Italian, had never been forced to make himself understood in English prior to arriving in west London. "I will try to speak in English, sorry, but I will try ... " Scolari had offered almost a year previously. "It's a new challenge for me in my life. It's a different challenge, an opportunity. I am ready to start my job in Chelsea and in England."

Ancelotti also spoke of "an opportunity, a challenge" and a need "to speak in English".

"I'm learning and I think, in one month, two months, I will speak better. For now, er, it's not easy."

In fact he coped wonderfully well. The joke was one example of his willingness to engage his audience. When questions were fired too rapidly, or quietly, he resorted to his interpreter, but there were only very occasional slips of the tongue. This was hugely impressive, and appreciated by all present.

The crash course he had undergone in the Netherlands since confirmation came that he would be leaving Milan has clearly paid off. He spoke better than Fabio Capello does after 18 months with the Football Association, and better arguably than Rafael Benítez when he first arrived at Anfield. Chelsea and their players will draw encouragement from that.

Yet the key remains ... what happens next? Scolari did just as well to get his message across last year, but his English did not improve thereafter. The crush of Premier League, Carling Cup and Champions League fixtures curtailed his midweek English lessons, and his language rather stagnated. It was noted in press conferences, and also on the training pitch, as faith in his ability to transmit ideas waned. Ancelotti will be aware that he cannot afford to make the same mistake.

This is a club that cannot escape comparisons with the recent past, whether it be reflections on the glittering Mourinho era or the repetition of issues virtually on an annual basis. Ancelotti confronted the Terry situation here and spoke robustly, insisting his captain would remain at Stamford Bridge.

A year ago, Scolari had addressed with similar gusto the uncertainty then surrounding Frank Lampard's immediate future, with Internazionale circling and a contract unsigned. Within a few weeks, resolution had been reached. Chelsea will hope to tie down their captain and deflect Manchester City in much the same way as this club's latest incumbent sets about succeeding where his predecessors have come up short.