• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can someone who became another country's Citizen come back to Singapore?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
For every parent that did the right thing, I wonder how many have sons who will never see Singapore for the rest of the lives.

The form requires providing everything about parents and all siblings, from the moment they are born. In the meantime, someone who has never been a Singaporean, never been to Singapore has a shorter form to fill and the response is faster.

I was having dinner with some former Singaporeans last night in Perth. The older of them had been in Oz for nearly 15 years now. He related 2 anecdotes which I found quite enlightening.

The 2nd story is about himself . He had already given up Singapore citizenship many many years back, and was on an Australian passport. Then a few years ago, he company wanted to send him to look after their branch in Singapore. So now he would be an expat. But when they applied for his employment pass, it seemed that the Singapore government was tracking his "ex-Singaporeaness" and gave another stack of forms to fill out - which asked for his parents personal details (now deceased) like what the father worked as, etc, his siblings details - including NRIC, address, etc. He was pissed off and returned the unfilled application back with a letter saying:
"I am not applying for a job. I already have a job. I am not applying for permanent residency. We have a choice of setting up our company in Singapore, Hong Kong or Shanghai, and we chose Singapore for business reasons. If you have any issue about granting me an employment pass, please let me know, and we shall shut down our branch in Singapore and we shall pull out our operations and move to either Hong Kong or Shanghai as required." He copied the letter to the head of another stat board.

He received a reply shortly, stating they apologised for the incovenience, and he would be issued his employment pass without any further delay.

Of course, I have no corroboration as to whether the second story is true, but there seemed to be no reason for him to make up the story. If true, it shows that the SG govt does track those (or at least some) who give up their citizenship, and then make it very hard for them to get back into the country.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkees should demand that all PRs should be made to serve NS if they are below 40 years. Those above that will be required to do only reservist.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
For every parent that did the right thing, I wonder how many have sons who will never see Singapore for the rest of the lives.

The form requires providing everything about parents and all siblings, from the moment they are born. In the meantime, someone who has never been a Singaporean, never been to Singapore has a shorter form to fill and the response is faster.
Its ok. Most sinkies have not even been to china or india, and this doesn't bother them at all. So what is so special about sinkieland that has less than 0.5% of china or India population?

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the son turned 11, they applied to CMPB to get him deferred from NS. They were told that they had to 1) register him for NS and then 2) apply for deferment. When they asked if this would get him out of NS, there was no clear answer from CMPB - just a "case by case" answer based on what "benifits" his son had received from Singapore. Anyway, faced between a choice of not registering the son at all and making him a fugitive, OR, registering him and then applying for deferment, and hoping this will be granted, they took the latter choice. Fortunately, he was granted deferment, but his point was the lack of clear answers at the point of registration that made people unnecessarily anxious. They found out through other means that "benifits" meant getting their son's NRIC, and renewing their son's passport. Fortunately, they had done neither - so the son had NOT received the "benifits" that would tie him down to NS.

The 2nd story is about himself . He had already given up Singapore citizenship many many years back, and was on an Australian passport. Then a few years ago, he company wanted to send him to look after their branch in Singapore. So now he would be an expat. But when they applied for his employment pass, it seemed that the Singapore government was tracking his "ex-Singaporeaness" and gave another stack of forms to fill out - which asked for his parents personal details (now deceased) like what the father worked as, etc, his siblings details - including NRIC, address, etc. He was pissed off and returned the unfilled application back with a letter saying:
"I am not applying for a job. I already have a job. I am not applying for permanent residency. We have a choice of setting up our company in Singapore, Hong Kong or Shanghai, and we chose Singapore for business reasons. If you have any issue about granting me an employment pass, please let me know, and we shall shut down our branch in Singapore and we shall pull out our operations and move to either Hong Kong or Shanghai as required." He copied the letter to the head of another stat board.

He received a reply shortly, stating they apologised for the incovenience, and he would be issued his employment pass without any further delay.

Of course, I have no corroboration as to whether the second story is true, but there seemed to be no reason for him to make up the story. If true, it shows that the SG govt does track those (or at least some) who give up their citizenship, and then make it very hard for them to get back into the country.

What can I say? Singapore government is obnoxious and despicable i.e. a bastard.

First they never define clearly the parameters instead choose to go on a case by caserubbish. This to give LEEway to those people who are connected??

Secondly, they tried to entrap ex-Singaporeans with that stupid NRIC application as well as the passport renewal.

Next, they tried to bully ex Singaporeans with that ridiculous level of details.

Then, they favored foreigners to ex Singaporeans who may have served their NS and may still have families ties in Singapore by making things difficult.

Finally, they are so money faced.

Civil servants who carried out such policies are also just as bastard!