• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can someone who became another country's Citizen come back to Singapore?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
doesn't help playing punk with sg authorities on ns liabilities. clean up paperwork, dot all i's and cross all t's, ensure there's no discrepancy, false declarations, loose ends.
sg is an important hub a dud dub. sooner or later. do it timely, proper, right and don't run away from old mistakes that may not be 100% your own.
Knew top honcho of a publicly listed company who paid off an awesome amount (to jump NS), as he caved in to allow junior continue his Phd in OZ. Since, family reunions are either old folks trotting down under or do family CNY reunion across the causeway on Wuqi's turf. What price? :rolleyes:

As to other question on statute of limitations (SOL), time bar doesn't apply to criminal offences. Neither IRAS (6 years) if tax fraud

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since, family reunions are either old folks trotting down under or do family CNY reunion across the causeway on Wuqi's turf. What price? :rolleyes:

moreover, great grannies and grannies have difficulties travelling frequently and trouble-free as they get past 80. some require wheelchairs, some wear pampers. :o

boomtown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your question is "Is there a statute of limitations?".

The answer is no.

Even if there were, the prosecution could argue that the offense is ongoing to the point when you finally return.

wah liew, this very unforgiving man.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, I did not see this earlier. Once you cross a particular age, there is a distinct change of treatment. The chap needs to email CMPB directly and work it out on a case by case basis. The person is still considered a defaulter and deemed to have committed an offence and a conviction is still expected but severity is lesser. This is what Melvyn pianist did.

One of the things that CMPB has done is go easy on those who contact them and offer to come in. No longer handcuffed at airport, allowed bail etc.

My personal view is to email Email CMPB directly and work it out. If you have a successful career outside and a new life, it might be worth sorting this, pay the price and avoid living in the wilderness.

what if a chap who left sg when he was, say 16, and decide to come back when he is now, say 50 years old? or 60 or 70? is there a age waiver?

Last edited:

boomtown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, I did not see this earlier. Once you cross a particular age, there is a distinct change of treatment. The chap needs to email CMPB directly and work it out on a case by case basis. The person is still considered a defaulter and deemed to have committed an offence and a conviction is still expected but severity is lesser. This is what Melvyn pianist did.

One of the things that CMPB has done is go easy on those who contact them and offer to come in. No longer handcuffed at airport, allowed bail etc.

My personal view is to email Email CMPB directly and work it out. If you have a successful career outside and a new life, it might be worth sorting this, pay the price and avoid living in the wilderness.

thanks bro. btw, do you happen to know what is that particular age? thanks.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The age is not specified in the statutes but the Minister has power to regulate and they can change. Furthermore its classified. But the range that you specified is comfortable.

thanks bro. btw, do you happen to know what is that particular age? thanks.

Last edited:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm curious, what if the boy went overseas, took up foreign citizenship but change name? In this way when he enters singapore for a visit on foreign passport, the local authorities would not know his NS liability.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm curious, what if the boy went overseas, took up foreign citizenship but change name? In this way when he enters singapore for a visit on foreign passport, the local authorities would not know his NS liability.

The immigration officer may ask him, where he was born, name at birth, etc. conduct a search on its computer system?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of my friend came back with an Australian passport and the Custom chop passport minah greeted him with a smile and says 'draw out all your CPF money oredi, yeah?

hahahaha, I laughed and fell up side down. Guess minah was upset she know she will not see her CPF money and angry with PAP.Lanlan must work there for life and see her CPF disappear and tulan like fuck.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of my friend came back with an Australian passport and the Custom chop passport minah greeted him with a smile and says 'draw out all your CPF money oredi, yeah?

hahahaha, I laughed and fell up side down. Guess minah was upset she know she will not see her CPF money and angry with PAP.Lanlan must work there for life and see her CPF disappear and tulan like fuck.
So the ICA system will show up the citizenship history of the foreign passport holder, so the data must be store in a global database ...wonder if this is the case for all foreign passports?

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
moral of the story.

if you dun intend your child to serve NS.

dun register your sons as Singaporean.

Heard of a young man wo did just that.

He married a foreigner from a 3rd world nation and wanted his pregnant wife to deliver at KKH and make the child a Singaporean.

KKH charged the full rate because of her status as a foreigner. The bill from KKH was a bomb.

Imagine his predicament as a Singaporean who have done NS and WAS loyal to Singapore.

He took up a job in that country of his wife's birth as an English language teacher, received his PR on the strength of marrying his wife and now the son is a full-time resident of that third world country.

The son received his education in Australia.

What a loss to Singapore.

In conclusion, surely the son would have been a better Singaporean by virtue of the fact that his dad was a full-fledged Singapore citizen as compared to some un-educated blokes and their kids who are given citizenship so liberally in this country.

That man and his son never looked back and are now doing very well. I envy them so much.

They have a nice cosy home by the beach close to some of the world's best diving site. They also have small traditional chalets rented out to the tourists.

I urge all Singaporean men to go to a third world nation, find a wife and settle there.

The Ministry of Health should send a circular to KKH urging their administrators to "use their brains in future" or risk loosing Singaporeans created from the loins of loyal Singaporeans.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am going to Pinay land to find a pinay wife,,that can or not ah?

Heard of a young man wo did just that.

He married a foreigner from a 3rd world nation and wanted his pregnant wife to deliver at KKH and make the child a Singaporean.

KKH charged the full rate because of her status as a foreigner. The bill from KKH was a bomb.

Imagine his predicament as a Singaporean who have done NS and WAS loyal to Singapore.

He took up a job in that country of his wife's birth as an English language teacher, received his PR on the strength of marrying his wife and now the son is a full-time resident of that third world country.

The son received his education in Australia.

What a loss to Singapore.

In conclusion, surely the son would have been a better Singaporean by virtue of the fact that his dad was a full-fledged Singapore citizen as compared to some un-educated blokes and their kids who are given citizenship so liberally in this country.

That man and his son never looked back and are now doing very well. I envy them so much.

They have a nice cosy home by the beach close to some of the world's best diving site. They also have small traditional chalets rented out to the tourists.

I urge all Singaporean men to go to a third world nation, find a wife and settle there.

The Ministry of Health should send a circular to KKH urging their administrators to "use their brains in future" or risk loosing Singaporeans created from the loins of loyal Singaporeans.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was having dinner with some former Singaporeans last night in Perth. The older of them had been in Oz for nearly 15 years now. He related 2 anecdotes which I found quite enlightening.

The 1st story was about his son. They had migrated when his son was 7 years old. In those days, you only needed 2 years as a PR before being eligible to apply for citizenship. So the parents got their citizenship pretty quickly and managed to get their CPF out after renouncing their citizenship. When the son turned 11, they applied to CMPB to get him deferred from NS. They were told that they had to 1) register him for NS and then 2) apply for deferment. When they asked if this would get him out of NS, there was no clear answer from CMPB - just a "case by case" answer based on what "benifits" his son had received from Singapore. Anyway, faced between a choice of not registering the son at all and making him a fugitive, OR, registering him and then applying for deferment, and hoping this will be granted, they took the latter choice. Fortunately, he was granted deferment, but his point was the lack of clear answers at the point of registration that made people unnecessarily anxious. They found out through other means that "benifits" meant getting their son's NRIC, and renewing their son's passport. Fortunately, they had done neither - so the son had NOT received the "benifits" that would tie him down to NS.

Anyway, they completed the next two steps as well, applying exit permit at 13, and again at 16. And, just a few weeks ago, the son turned 21 and he submitted his renunciation of citizenship. It seemed that ICA requires 3 months for the approval for the renunciation, and now they are waiting for the final letter to wash hands off Singapore.

The story above seems to gel exactly with what Scroobal had mentioned previously - so I am happy to get a confirmation from a 1st hand person who experienced the excruciating process. I guess these are the steps to follow in, when the time comes for my own son's NS process.

The 2nd story is about himself . He had already given up Singapore citizenship many many years back, and was on an Australian passport. Then a few years ago, he company wanted to send him to look after their branch in Singapore. So now he would be an expat. But when they applied for his employment pass, it seemed that the Singapore government was tracking his "ex-Singaporeaness" and gave another stack of forms to fill out - which asked for his parents personal details (now deceased) like what the father worked as, etc, his siblings details - including NRIC, address, etc. He was pissed off and returned the unfilled application back with a letter saying:
"I am not applying for a job. I already have a job. I am not applying for permanent residency. We have a choice of setting up our company in Singapore, Hong Kong or Shanghai, and we chose Singapore for business reasons. If you have any issue about granting me an employment pass, please let me know, and we shall shut down our branch in Singapore and we shall pull out our operations and move to either Hong Kong or Shanghai as required." He copied the letter to the head of another stat board.

He received a reply shortly, stating they apologised for the incovenience, and he would be issued his employment pass without any further delay.

Of course, I have no corroboration as to whether the second story is true, but there seemed to be no reason for him to make up the story. If true, it shows that the SG govt does track those (or at least some) who give up their citizenship, and then make it very hard for them to get back into the country.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I first arrived in Toronto, some 30 years ago, one of the managers in the Toronto office was born in Singapore (around 1949).
He did not served NS, but went to study in Australia, and thereafter relocated to Toronto.
In late 1980's or early 1990's, he applied for a job in SG, was offered employment in a polytechnic oc college or university.
He applied for an employment pass (unsure what is the correct term), and either when he was there or when he had to renew it, the SG government called him for an interview, and told him that he is still a SG citizen.
He told them that he already renounced his SG citizenship, and has been a Canadian citizen for many years.
The SG govt told him that if he wishes to continue teaching, he would have to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

Last edited: