• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can someone who became another country's Citizen come back to Singapore?

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know of a guy who left Singapore just before O levels, became a citizen in Australia and lived there since - but did not register for or complete NS.
Now he is considering visiting Singapore for the 1st time in over 20 years - but is worried about entering the country.

Can he return to Singapore on an Aussie passport without getting into trouble?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Can he return to Singapore on an Aussie passport without getting into trouble?

If he has been classified as deserter, he could well be arrested upon arrival.

Read Melvyn Tan's case for reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvyn_Tan

However, your friend may well receive a harsher sentence if he's a mere peasant. Melvyn did a plea bargain ahead of time and he's also a celebrity of sorts.

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
why he did not renounce his sg citizenship before he became an OZ citizen?

that will save him alot of troubles.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
why he did not renounce his sg citizenship before he became an OZ citizen?

that will save him alot of troubles.

The renunciation wouldn't have been accepted until he had completed his NS liabilities.

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If he has been classified as deserter, he could well be arrested upon arrival.

Read Melvyn Tan's case for reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvyn_Tan

However, your friend may well receive a harsher sentence if he's a mere peasant. Melvyn did a plea bargain ahead of time and he's also a celebrity of sorts.

Boss, Melvyn's case is slightly unique. :cool:

Firstly, Melvyn has zero intention of coming back as he know that once he step his foot in Singapore, he will be caught as a defaulter. He was invited to Singapore on a red carpet for some musical event. If my memory serves me correctly - to be a judge in some premier musical event. :confused:

Next, this invitation is by the Tourist Promotion Board (again based on my memory). Tourist Promotion Board is under a stat board under a ministry. :*:

That makes his case unique. :eek:

He got away with it by paying a $5000 fine in addition to the forfeiture of the $75,000 bond paid by his parents. :rolleyes:

Now with that $80,000 paid up, cheaper than a Cat B COE, he is now free to travel in and out of Singapore. :eek:

Because of his case, that ridiculous TCH and NEH made it a rule that all male Singaporeans who are studing overseas MUST return to serve NS once they turned 18. Yes, they could be in the midst of their uni program. They will have to apply for deferrment from whichever uni they enrolled, to be back to serve their NS. No exception allowed. Except of course those scholars and you know who... :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The renunciation wouldn't have been accepted until he had completed his NS liabilities.

Boss, you are correct. Die Die they want to ensure that chap who is not interested in being a citizen of Singapore, waste 2 years of his youth to get out of Singapore. :mad: :mad:

That is the very unforgiving Singapore. 60% agrees with it. What to do? What a waste of time and resouces. :eek: :mad:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did I not point out that he was a celebrity and he entered into a plea bargain arrangement to avoid a prison sentence. Can't you read.:rolleyes:

Boss, if he wasn't invited by a statutory board under a government ministry, do you for once, think he could get away simply because he is a celebrity? :confused: :*:

Can you name me another celebrity that is able to enter into a plea bargain arrangement to avoid prison sentence? :eek:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Singapore minor whether male or female cannot renounce their citizenship until they reach 21 years even if they hold a foreign citizenship. A male cannot renounce citizenship as stated below until completion of NS liabilities which includes appropriate punishment for defaulters.

Melvyn Tan was not approached by anyone but approached the authorities. He was fined $3k and he did do some free performances but the authorities will not admit to the latter. The laws were changed to increase the maximum of fine because of the case. Deferment to do further was withdrawn well before Melvyn Tan's case.

Melvyn Tan's case is a major blight on local legal landscape as many Singaporean defaulters with similar circumstances have gone to jail as well as had to do NS. Here is one case that was reported in the press. Father and son ignored MINDEF letter and proceeded for tertiary education overseas. After completion of studies, son returns to Singapore and is promptly arrested. Subsequently convicted and jailed. Upon release goes on to complete full NS liabilities. These cased are common. Note the difference between this and Melvyn case. In many of these cases bonds are automatically seized.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way Melvyn's case came to light because he opened his mouth to the press. Imagine how many others were given similar treatment. I am well aware that people of a certain age are usually fined in the past.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Boss, if he wasn't invited by a statutory board under a government ministry, do you for once, think he could get away simply because he is a celebrity? :confused: :*:

Can you name me another celebrity that is able to enter into a plea bargain arrangement to avoid prison sentence? :eek:

You don't seem to understand what I'm alluding to.

I'll spell it out in black and white :

1. Melvin Tan's case shows that there is no way that this character in question is going to get away scott free just because he is now an Aussie.

2. Melvin Tan was treated very leniently because of who he is.

3. If this peasant stock guy lands at Changi. He will, in all probability, end up behind bars.

HE SHOULD STAY WELL AWAY FROM SINGAPORE FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He got away with it by paying a $5000 fine in addition to the forfeiture of the $75,000 bond paid by his parents. :rolleyes: :mad:

his parents put up a bond of sgd30k when melvyn was sent to london for studies. he paid an sgd3k fine. bond amount increased much later to sgd75k or 50% of both parents' gross annual income, whichever is higher.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oppa gangnam style!
Psy has NS problem as well. But despite him being a Gangnam White Horse, he still has to repeat his NS in Korea in 2008-9 because his family use their status to cheat in NS the first time.
But the Singapore President son can Gangnam his way scotfree. Who give a shit what the peasants think?

good info sharing here. must make baby girl!
Should I pity Singaporeans for the govt discrimination against males over NS ?

Has PAP figure out why so few men left for NS?

(I have already tried to hold myself back from commenting on this thread)

But the fuking PAP policies for citizenship ransom, based on CPF and NS. Tragic Joke of a nation.

skxqqf.jpg

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I disagree on the 60%..i believe it 95% of all Singaporean who has served NS agrees that any Singaporean who siam NS deserve to be hanged. I have gone through it so have countless bros here,,,we waste our time too, so y must others be given the opportunity to siam? No chances should be given to any desserter under any circumstances.

If that chap comes back and gets hanged for dessertion, i will shed no tears..i fulfilled my obligations so did everyone else,,so no sympathy

Also wat makes me dulan is those PRs who come here, go to schools etc at tax payers expense,,than f off when called up for ns..than come back on work permits, this should not have happen and they need to be forced to pay the money back + be black listed from getting any work permits...their parents should also be deported n all assets seized by the state

Boss, you are correct. Die Die they want to ensure that chap who is not interested in being a citizen of Singapore, waste 2 years of his youth to get out of Singapore. :mad: :mad:

That is the very unforgiving Singapore. 60% agrees with it. What to do? What a waste of time and resouces. :eek: :mad:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you.

I disagree on the 60%..i believe it 95% of all Singaporean who has served NS agrees that any Singaporean who siam NS deserve to be hanged. I have gone through it so have countless bros here,,,we waste our time too, so y must others be given the opportunity to siam? No chances should be given to any desserter under any circumstances.

Also wat makes me dulan is those PRs who come here, go to schools etc at tax payers expense,,than f off when called up for ns..than come back on work permits, this should not have happen and they need to be forced to pay the money back + be black listed from getting any work permits...their parents should also be deported n all assets seized by the state

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
good info sharing here. must make baby girl!

Good point, that is what I believe too,,but what i find extremely funny is some people still want sons,,as they say need to keep family name,,and also can share things with their sons but not with their daughters..kenna F by me when ever i hear that...

have sons to be slave to NS and be slave to womens crapster,,,

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After 20 years of absent, why still want to come back?

If you have lived 20 years in Singapore and left, you probably will not want to be back.
For an person who left as boy, he will be interested to return to his homeland to take a look, to feel how it is like to be with people of the same tribe.

Singapore should seriously reform her conscription laws. Of course, there are many other things holding the country back.