• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Army personnel got shot in the right eye in sembawang camp

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pt No.2 sembawang is not a live firing area. that is why i think its a hoax.

only the lim chu kang or kranji side you got life firing activities.

A mischievous soldoer can still make a blank into a live round. So it can happen outside a live firing area using blanks.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only live firing done in Sembawang forested areas are the makeshift Brothels, where the Banglas, Kekleng, Thais etc men do theirs. The only rounds left behind is made of rubber & is called condoms.:biggrin: and you won't shoot the eye socket with that.
hahaha....ya lor....must blame papee for this......anyhow designate live firing areas..

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remembered there was one test that the instructors will use gpmg to spray live rounds overhead while trainees have to leopard crawl past obstacles below....sounds scary but no actual danger....point is live rounds were used.

It was part of an important test in safincos or ocs (can't remember too long ago). Perhaps now discontinued liao.

That was using GPMG with 7.62 mm live rounds.

Now I remember, during my BMT, there was this training where recruits have to do a leopard crawl for about 30 meters under live GPMG firing. My understanding is GPMG was positioned in such way that there is no way the recruits will get hit unless they stand and jump.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now I remember, during my BMT, there was this training where recruits have to do a leopard crawl for about 30 meters under live GPMG firing. My understanding is GPMG was positioned in such way that there is no way the recruits will get hit unless they stand and jump.

That is true bro...on a tripod firlmly fixed and properly sighted onto a fixed target, the GPMG is very accurate to a distance of 1000 metres and will not move it's position. A normal rifle has only a bipod which will still jerked and there is a possibility of an accidental injury. The GPMG also has a spare interchangeable barrel as GPMG requires a change of barrels after firing a certain amount of rounds.

The AR15 barrel gets too hot and will trigger off rounds without anyone pulling the trigger and the safety catch is on when it gets very very hot. Even the AR15HB cannot take the strain. In such an exercise, the GPMG is the weapon of choice.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ha bro ....the AR15 and me never got along leh. WO WO WO all the time.

The AR15 barrel gets too hot and will trigger off rounds without anyone pulling the trigger and the safety catch is on when it gets very very hot. Even the AR15HB cannot take the strain. In such an exercise, the GPMG is the weapon of choice.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
Zero weapon for me also no use....my eyesight nearly zero leh. My glasses one side 8500 degrees the other side 12,000. :(

Can only see share prices well. .... so i can punt and lose more $$$$

Singapore too cheapskate to give all reservists their assigned weapon that is properly zeroed. When there is a war, many will be Wowo Kings.:(

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Zero weapon for me also no use....my eyesight nearly zero leh. My glasses one side 8500 degrees the other side 12,000. :(

Can only see share prices well. .... so i can punt and lose more $$$$

Bro, like that you need to carry a white cane or get a seeing eye dog.:biggrin:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As far as I know, there is one operational weapon to every reservist (or NSman, if you like). These weapons are vacuum packed (to prevent corrosion) and stored at brigade level facilities all over Singapore. Because they are vacuum packed, it is deemed too costly and time consuming to unpack and repack them for each ICT (given that these occur only once a year). Reservists are instead given training (rather than operational) weapons instead.

When tensions heighten and result in an increase in DEFCON status, reservists will be mobilized outside the annual training cycle and trained for ops. They would then be issued with the operational weapons and ammo. These weapons would then be zeroed and placed in holding camps, in case of open mob. If war does not happen, the weapons would be vacuum packed again.

Also, when the SAF chose to drop the M16 in favour of a newer weapon, one consideration was for a weapon that does not need too much zeroing. That was supposed to have been one of the considerations for the design of the SAR21.

Singapore too cheapskate to give all reservists their assigned weapon that is properly zeroed. When there is a war, many will be Wowo Kings.:(

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Also, when the SAF chose to drop the M16 in favour of a newer weapon, one consideration was for a weapon that does not need too much zeroing. That was supposed to have been one of the considerations for the design of the SAR21.

The SAR21, I do not have any knowledge of as I am from the old school. I have not heard much about it and as afar as I can tell, it is not that far superior to any other similar weapons. As for the zeroing, I think with today's technology it is not so important if the weapons the soldiers are armed with are using the latest high-tech accessories. The SAR21 I think is not one of those new weapons.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The SAR21, I do not have any knowledge of as I am from the old school. I have not heard much about it and as afar as I can tell, it is not that far superior to any other similar weapons. As for the zeroing, I think with today's technology it is not so important if the weapons the soldiers are armed with are using the latest high-tech accessories. The SAR21 I think is not one of those new weapons.

It's a freaking bulky piece(still prefer m16) and its not for someone who is left handed like me.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a freaking bulky piece(still prefer m16) and its not for someone who is left handed like me.

Left handers suffer from burns on their faces if they do not use something to protect themselves from the hot cartridges that are ejected.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yah I understand they re-structured the rank system in the late 80s .. not sure if that there's another one recently.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The challenges of the SAR21 will take another thread. So, I'll just say this briefly.

I too have not handled the SAR21 in training or ops situations. I did 'fire' it at army open houses and the army museum. While it is chunky and a little heavier than the M16, it is shorter and more balanced at the point of the pistol grip. It is also equipped with telescopic and laser sights, making target acquisition easy.

But a ginormous design lapse is the lack of ambidextrous handling. And it being of bullpup design is not the issue. Much older bullpup weapons like the FAMAS and the Steyr AUG have accommodated the left handed soldier since the 1980s. So, I really don't understand how ST could have ignored that. Anyway, I'm speaking about the 1st generation of the SAR21 - don't know if there have been improvements later.

Left handers suffer from burns on their faces if they do not use something to protect themselves from the hot cartridges that are ejected.

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
The challenges of the SAR21 will take another thread. So, I'll just say this briefly.

I too have not handled the SAR21 in training or ops situations. I did 'fire' it at army open houses and the army museum. While it is chunky and a little heavier than the M16, it is shorter and more balanced at the point of the pistol grip. It is also equipped with telescopic and laser sights, making target acquisition easy.

But a ginormous design lapse is the lack of ambidextrous handling. And it being of bullpup design is not the issue. Much older bullpup weapons like the FAMAS and the Steyr AUG have accommodated the left handed soldier since the 1980s. So, I really don't understand how ST could have ignored that. Anyway, I'm speaking about the 1st generation of the SAR21 - don't know if there have been improvements later.

Its a freaking copy of the Tavor 21 minus away the accessories & funpacks . Ambidextious design my foor; ST has always been align with PAP motto and will never in their life consider the minority requirement. They have always consider masses for economy of scale and the minority suffer in the process.

Look at the Beretta 92, it has a good ambidextious safety ; look at the Benelli M2 shotgun; they do cater for left handed shooters. Look at our freaking STK; everything is right handed because of their oversight or someone up in management do not share the views of the users overall.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not sure about the SAR21 being a clone of the TAR21. They were designed around the same time (1990s) and the SAR21 was deployed earlier - 1998 as opposed to TAR's 2001. The TAR21, however, is ambidextrous.

Its a freaking copy of the Tavor 21 minus away the accessories & funpacks . Ambidextious design my foor; ST has always been align with PAP motto and will never in their life consider the minority requirement. They have always consider masses for economy of scale and the minority suffer in the process.

Look at the Beretta 92, it has a good ambidextious safety ; look at the Benelli M2 shotgun; they do cater for left handed shooters. Look at our freaking STK; everything is right handed because of their oversight or someone up in management do not share the views of the users overall.