• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are Indian Ministers gaining the confidence of LHL?

serenditpity

Alfrescian
Loyal
This conflict of interest is partially right. But MAS being both a regulator and a central bank, MAS and MoF have to be able to work together. By and large this arrangement has worked very well, since MAS has managed regulatory policy well. I would also think that in the times that we live in amidst inflation and deflationary trends, where countries are following the beggar thy neighbour policy, and where easy monetary policy has become the norm, the choice of Tharman (given his long stint at MAS) as both Chairman and FM is a very good decision.

Being appointed both MAS Chairman and Minister of Finance is already a glaring conflict of interest.

serenditpity

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think that's a brilliant question. In the Westminister system of cabinet collective decision making, the boundary lines are quite clear. The FM has all the responsibility of managing the finances of the country, but if there's a collective cabinet decision or the PM's decision to change the spend mix or revenue mix, he has to abide by that.

It is like being the CFO of the firm. If the CEO decides to make an expensive acquisition and the Board approves it, the CFO doesn't have the power to overrule the Board. he can advise the board, but then he has to abide by the Board's decision.

I would think Singapore always had able FM -- from Toh Chin Chye, to Richard Hu to tharman.

Dear PAP

The essence of the argument remains how do you judge a PAP man in a PAP created system. Where does the buck stop with the PM and where does the buck stop with Tharmen. Who is more responsible for the lack of transparency and how much can Tharmen buck the system ?

Locke

serenditpity

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember some of the most respected names in Financial institutions have been trying to get Tharman. From the Asian Development Bank to the IMF.

give credit to the man when it is due

Tharm does not buck the system, and that is why he has all the portfolios that he has. If he did buck the system, he will not be where he is. The buck has to stop at the PM, it must, and probably if you are honest about it, it stops at Old Goat.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, heard this from the corridors of power late last night:

Indian Ministers are slowly getting into the inside circle of LHL, partly driven by their performance and their objectivity.

Tharman's case needs no substantiation. For someone who was indicted by the CPIB, his ascendancy to DPM and holding 2 key portfolios has been fast and spectacular
hahaha.......this is classic case of the more you sian, the more screw ups will happen.
Indicted by CPIB........guess you really smoke too much.

Last edited:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear yellow

The conflicts of interest are vis sa vis more the independence of Temasek n PM. The independence or not of a central bank is an issue of government policy with both models working across the world. There is no clear argument either way.

Locke

Being appointed both MAS Chairman and Minister of Finance is already a glaring conflict of interest.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Remember some of the most respected names in Financial institutions have been trying to get Tharman. From the Asian Development Bank to the IMF.

give credit to the man when it is due

As I have said, why would he go to any of these international orgs. if they offered a job to him? The IMF job pays only $400K, and the ADB even less. He is getting millions$ now. The only thing that he can get credit for is GREED.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear PAP

The difference in SGD would be say 1.5 million SGD a year. Assuming a five year term that would be worth ard 8 million SGD deficit. If I were him I would suffer a loess for five years and make double that in the next five advising banks etc etc and governments and probably beyond that. We have a bargain.

Locke

As I have said, why would he go to any of these international orgs. if they offered a job to him? The IMF job pays only $400K, and the ADB even less. He is getting millions$ now. The only thing that he can get credit for is GREED.

serenditpity

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not everyone is after money. He gets prestige and has a global pond to make an impact. And after his stint in IMF, he can be anywhere he wants. He will get more global respect and recognition that even the PM may be envious and make every singaporean feel proud .

Of coz it is another thing that guys like you can't seem to know the significance.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if that is indeed the case. Look at Viv B. People junior to him have got plumb posts including newbies. Even Lui who was acting has got Transport.

Tharman indeed is a performer.

Shanmugam was brought in as a replacement for Jayakumar to maintain quota. Iswaran progress has been rather slow.

What is interesting is that all Indian cabinet ministers except for two in Singapore's 52 year history have non Indian spouses. That beats all all odds statistics wise. Even the one of the two exception was screwing a non_indian. That leaves one - the more boring of them all - Jayakumar.
Well, heard this from the corridors of power late last night:

Indian Ministers are slowly getting into the inside circle of LHL, partly driven by their performance and their objectivity.

Tharman's case needs no substantiation. For someone who was indicted by the CPIB, his ascendancy to DPM and holding 2 key portfolios has been fast and spectacular. I think the credit for Singapore weathering the global economic crisis without taking credit and making a big issue of it, I think his promotion is well deserved.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Karma

I would put it to you another way. Though GIC and Temasek are under the control of MOF, they remain at best independent entities directly under the control of the PM through appointee's and chairmanships. Tharman good as he is has to steer both the Finance and Manpower and DPM portfolios. I would not expect him to be able to actively manage both GIC and Temasek. If the PM decides that those appointments are made by him then it remains his call rightly or wrongly. T

The reason why we remain pegged to the US dollar is the same reason why the rest of the world keeps on buying US debt. The world trades in US dollars.

Locke

The whole world thrives on energy and oil is traded in US$. The relationship between the 2 are intertwine.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Suffice to say that of all the Ministers in the present line-up, I will prefer Tharman above all the rest. He is holding the 2 most important posts in the country and is the best man for the job, no one else.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think this is more of a coincidence. There's so much carnage that there's only a few left to fill the important posts. Singapore weathered the financial crisis well whether due to his own actions or by sheer fortuitous circumstances, nobody really knows or can pin it down. Just like the U.S. if the economy does well, whoever was lucky to be the President invariably got credited with the success. International trade, global finance, economy - they can bring down a President whose watch was responsible at the time. Not saying that Tharman is not good, cos he is good, but he also happened to be lucky and his portfolio had no bumps. Iswaran has been active in the foreign trade and overseas investments area, so a natural shoo-in.

All in all, I think it's more LHL is left with the best of the worst, and if not Tharman then who?

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really feel like vomitting when I read some of these responses. Nobody has bothered to explain why this Tharman does a good job except that he is an obedient PAP dog. Yet some are praising him saying he will be the next IMF chairman. Yet, is the appointment of IMF chairman the result of politics or ability? And some fucker is saying he can go advise governments and banks after IMF. Please lah, advise them what har? How to run their economy? How to borrow from IMF? And here is some old news. Old Lee likes people he can control. If Tharman becomes IMF chairman (big IF), how comfortable do you think Lee will be?

How come PAP dogs like to smell their own backside and say nice smell ah??? Cannot identify why Lanjiaotao Tharman is doing a good job but insist he is good and start congratulating each other for having a good minister for a bargain? No wonder Vivian "anakin" Balakrishnan can claim he underspend rather than overspend YOG budget. I just poke my finger into my backside and smell... Still smelly ley...

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Edited due to double post. Since I am here, Iswaran's progress is rumored to be slow due to his candor. Who knows? Candid or not, no good dog ever comes from a bad master.

Last edited:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng replies to thread, "they can twist n turn their tongues like roti prata n roll their heads, can u?" :biggrin:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I really feel like vomitting when I read some of these responses. Nobody has bothered to explain why this Tharman does a good job except that he is an obedient PAP dog. Yet some are praising him saying he will be the next IMF chairman. Yet, is the appointment of IMF chairman the result of politics or ability? And some fucker is saying he can go advise governments and banks after IMF. Please lah, advise them what har? How to run their economy? How to borrow from IMF? And here is some old news. Old Lee likes people he can control. If Tharman becomes IMF chairman (big IF), how comfortable do you think Lee will be?

How come PAP dogs like to smell their own backside and say nice smell ah??? Cannot identify why Lanjiaotao Tharman is doing a good job but insist he is good and start congratulating each other for having a good minister for a bargain? No wonder Vivian "anakin" Balakrishnan can claim he underspend rather than overspend YOG budget. I just poke my finger into my backside and smell... Still smelly ley...

Listen here, your comments are getting abusive and downright rude. If you want to have a fruitful discussion I suggest you refrain from calling members here fuckers and talking about shit. If you have disagreements or object to others' opinions it is not necessary to to talk gutter language. Be sensible if you want your opinions to be considered seriously.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Listen here, your comments are getting abusive and downright rude. If you want to have a fruitful discussion I suggest you refrain from calling members here fuckers and talking about shit. If you have disagreements or object to others' opinions it is not necessary to to talk gutter language. Be sensible if you want your opinions to be considered seriously.

lianbeng suggests u go to infraction log wait for him there lor. :biggrin:

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if that is indeed the case. Look at Viv B. People junior to him have got plumb posts including newbies. Even Lui who was acting has got Transport.

Tharman indeed is a performer.

Shanmugam was brought in as a replacement for Jayakumar to maintain quota. Iswaran progress has been rather slow.

What is interesting is that all Indian cabinet ministers except for two in Singapore's 52 year history have non Indian spouses. That beats all all odds statistics wise. Even the one of the two exception was screwing a non_indian. That leaves one - the more boring of them all - Jayakumar.

Both Vivian and Tharman's wives are Japanese?