• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Strange Status Symbol

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go to the South Park Studio website and watch the episode (on Season 13) where they made fun of all these attention seeking whores. Damn funny....

Lol, the one where the term 'faggot' was officially changed in the dictionary to describe biker gangs?

Baroko

Alfrescian
Loyal
- rich socialites with Pinoy hunks as PDIs
- females butterfly tattoo on their shoulders
- tattoos on their butts and elsewhere
- bringing poodle to dog restaurants
- be seen sipping red wine
- SPG with Foreign Thrash
- being member of Opposition Party
- NOT supporting the PAP
- NOT having to work

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
as far as tis forum is concerned, see who can bash PAP best & see who can fuck 154th best ......:biggrin:

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep. And another of my fav episode was the one on FT where Eric Carmen was fed up when the swimming pool was full of Ah Nehs and Mexicans. For once I think they were talking about Singapore.........

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Certainly not.
Credit card to many people IS a status symbol, especially to those suckers who hold a platinum card, but actually they don't understand that if used wrongly, it can be a deadly weapon that could ruin them.

There was this "high flying" corporate manager I knew who held a particular platinum card. Once, he took it out to pay for his hotel bill. His boss was also there and he took out exactly the same card, except that the card was a gold card. As everyone knows that the boss makes twice as much money as the "high flyer", boy was he embarrassed.

No, credit card as a status symbol - yes. As a strange status symbol - no.

a black card from either amex or visa is a status symbol. they don't offer it to anyone who has a good credit; they offer only to those who have cut a check recently for usd300k in a single purchase. the fee is around usd499 per year to have the privilege of holding the card - peanuts when compared to $$$ spent. :biggrin:

yawningcat

Alfrescian
Loyal
a sex scandal ?!!
not just any kind,
but those absolutely debauched ones that breaks the record of previous sexual taboos,
with actual pics & videos of them in various positions.

it seems like some sort of perverse exhibitionistic trend these days.

jw5

Loyal
I second that.

崇洋媚外? Right or not jw5?

Faster tell us leh...
People who can't speak their mother tongue don't really think it's a status symbol, although some may pretend that it is.
It's to try and justify their own inadequacy, a little bit like sour grapes.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you going to say or not? This is getting tiresome leh. Plus the longer you hold out, the higher the expectations and the bigger the disappointment when you reveal this supposed strange status symbol.

jw5

Loyal
The first man walks from his lexus towards the coffee shop. He adjusts his burberry polo shirt as he sits down, while looking at his rolex gold watch. He takes out his platinum card from his wallet, then realizes that he is at a coffee shop, puts it back and takes out $2 instead, to pay for his kopi.
His luxury stuff are all mainly paid by credit, he wonders whether he can service his debts. His small business hasn't been too good lately, recently, 2 new shops doing similar business have opened up nearby. The first shop, owned by a fillipino, is selling the same products at 75% of his prices. The second shop, owned by a prc national, is selling at his prices, but the owner has employed 2 prc women with big tits as his salesgirls. Men are flocking to this shop.
The man wonders what is happening.

jw5

Loyal
Are you going to say or not? This is getting tiresome leh. Plus the longer you hold out, the higher the expectations and the bigger the disappointment when you reveal this supposed strange status symbol.
I think you will indeed be disappointed, after all the interesting and exotic ideas thrown up in this thread.
But do read what I have to write. You might very well agree.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first man walks from his lexus towards the coffee shop. He adjusts his burberry polo shirt as he sits down, while looking at his rolex gold watch. He takes out his platinum card from his wallet, then realizes that he is at a coffee shop, puts it back and takes out $2 instead, to pay for his kopi.
His luxury stuff are all mainly paid by credit, he wonders whether he can service his debts. His small business hasn't been too good lately, recently, 2 new shops doing similar business have opened up nearby. The first shop, owned by a fillipino, is selling the same products at 75% of his prices. The second shop, owned by a prc national, is selling at his prices, but the owner has employed 2 prc women with big tits as his salesgirls. Men are flocking to this shop.
The man wonders what is happening.

This better not be your answer lor.

jw5

Loyal
The second man is already seated in the coffee shop. He is there most of the day anyway.
His plain white t shirt is a little stained, his shorts rather worn out. He isn't even sure what time of day it is.
He still can't believe that he lost his IT job. He went for reservist training for 3 weeks, the company hired a part time guy to cover for him. When he came back, after 2 weeks, he was told that he was being made redundant. He was indignant because he felt that he had done the work well at not too high a salary, but he had no choice. Meekness was in his nature.
Later, he heard from his ex colleagues that the company had hired the part time guy to do his former job. The indian national didn't seem to know too much about the systems, but he was a glib talker and could almost convince the boss that the sun set in the east. The helpdesk was almost always on the line and sometimes on site.
The man worries about his life, but he doesn't know what happened.

jw5

Loyal
There is a little commotion.
People are whispering that the honourable mp is on his "walkabout".
"Comes once a year", someone mutters.
Nobody else dares to say anything, most of them look nervously at one another. Among these are the 2 men.
The 2 men stand up, together with several other people in the coffee shop. The mp is not yet in sight.
The mp finally appears, closely followed and surrounded by his entourage.
The 2 men shake his hand in turn. Both have similar curious smiles on their faces as they shake his hand. They seem pleased. They sit down and drink their kopi.

jw5

Loyal
Then, something strange happens.
Both men take out a newspaper from their respective plastic bags.
Each has a strange smile on his face as he unfolds his own newspaper, a strangely proud and triumphant smile.
They happen to look up and at each other. They look at what the other is reading.
It's not the afternoon tabloid which is a favourite of teenage boys and young male executives who like football.
It's not the chinese papers which is the common preferred reading these days, given the amount of prc nationals around and the number of people eager to check if their lucky numbers have brought them fortune.
It's not the malay or tamil newspapers, which the 2 men don't understand anyway.
It's not the papers about wealth and money, which the 2 men don't totally understand anyway, and have always considered it the reading of corporate bigwigs and big-time businessmen.
But it's the papers that they are really proud to be reading and to be able to read, unlike many people they know. It's the papers that provide them with all the information that they need to know.
With a glint in their eyes and an approving nod at each other, they start reading their paper, with a strange smile on their lips.
As they turn the pages, they nod sagely at some of the reports and commentaries. When they reach the forum page, they wonder if they should write in to say how pleased they were to meet their mp and what a good job he has done.
Although they don't exactly know the details of what he has done or not done.
Like we observed earlier, they don't really know what is happening.

Last edited:

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
So the strange status symbol is:

1) Someone who's written to the Forum Page

and/or

2) Someone who had a close encounter with a MP (and wrote to the press about it)

and/or

3) Someone who's been screwed by FTs

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
How you going to round all these into 'status symbol' is beyond me, but I am waiting for the big reveal.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore and also UK.

1. National day honours.
2. Army officers' rank.

This is only my opinion and observation.
The few people whom I have told don't really agree with me and I would like to find out whether anyone here agrees.

I'm not going to reveal yet, it would be more interesting if you tried to guess what I consider to be a strange status symbol in SG.

Why is it strange?
Well, because I think most people anywhere in the world (probably including SG) would find it unusual, strange, or even unique for this to be considered a status symbol.

Why is a status symbol?
Because I think that these people are proud and really consider it a status symbol to have this thing or partake in this activity. Perhaps you might not agree, but this is my genuine opinion, about these people.
Funnily enough, not everyone who has this thing or partakes in this activity, thinks of it as a status symbol, only a certain group.

As you may have already guessed, I also have opinions about this particular group.

Care to render a guess?

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know oredy.

TS jw5's strange status symbol is :-

PEOPLE WHO USE REAL NAME WHEN WRITING TO FORUM OR GIVING FEEDBACK TO REACH ....

like the 100 + cyber contributors to REACH who were invited to meet PM.

Am I right ? :cool: