• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Strange Status Symbol

jw5

Loyal
This is only my opinion and observation.
The few people whom I have told don't really agree with me and I would like to find out whether anyone here agrees.

I'm not going to reveal yet, it would be more interesting if you tried to guess what I consider to be a strange status symbol in SG.

Why is it strange?
Well, because I think most people anywhere in the world (probably including SG) would find it unusual, strange, or even unique for this to be considered a status symbol.

Why is a status symbol?
Because I think that these people are proud and really consider it a status symbol to have this thing or partake in this activity. Perhaps you might not agree, but this is my genuine opinion, about these people.
Funnily enough, not everyone who has this thing or partakes in this activity, thinks of it as a status symbol, only a certain group.

As you may have already guessed, I also have opinions about this particular group.

Care to render a guess?

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Definitely simple material stuffs like car, house, women or arty farty stuffs, right?

Come come, tell plz.

jw5

Loyal
Definitely simple material stuffs like car, house, women or arty farty stuffs, right?

Come come, tell plz.
No bro, that wouldn't be strange right?
Please guess again, try to think out of the box, :smile:

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok, so not golf, or snooker, bowling type of sports that requires to spend money.

Eating? hmmm, eat strange food?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Care to render a guess?

If what you mean is a credit card, it's not a particularly strange status symbol exclusive to Singapore. PRCs, Taiwanese and even some Vietnamese also know it as Hao Lian Card.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you join RC and attend all the MP walkabout heheh what more if the MP knows you and call by your Western name

This maybe it, for I do know a lot of people pride themselves by rubbing shoulders with MPs. Ugly lot really, I've seen them in action during meat the people sessions, remember those Old Master Cute (Lao Fu Zi) drawing those man with dog tails kaotaoing to rich people? Ya, like that.

Their status symbol is to grow dog tail?:biggrin:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is only my opinion and observation..........
Care to render a guess?

Harley Davidson owners sitting at Starbucks sipping lattes and thinking every mudderfarker is admiring the chrome on their bikes and feeling that they're the baddest mudderfarker who's ever walked the valley.

And when it rains, they quickly push their scooters to shelter.

Cheers!

jw5

Loyal
Ok, so not golf, or snooker, bowling type of sports that requires to spend money.

Eating? hmmm, eat strange food?
No bro, not eating strange food, but thanks for your guesses or participation.
Btw, I pcc vely fast one, so I didn't go off to pcc. Hahaha! :smile:

What types of strange food do you think will cause someone to think he has status?

Since you are keen to know and participating actively in this thread with no vulgarity or unreasonableness, I give you a good clue.
I heard before that in the UK, some people also consider themselves to have status by having this thing or partaking in this activity. Not exactly sure of the nature, but something I heard before.

Hope this helps. :smile:

jw5

Loyal
If what you mean is a credit card, it's not a particularly strange status symbol exclusive to Singapore. PRCs, Taiwanese and even some Vietnamese also know it as Hao Lian Card.
Certainly not.
Credit card to many people IS a status symbol, especially to those suckers who hold a platinum card, but actually they don't understand that if used wrongly, it can be a deadly weapon that could ruin them.

There was this "high flying" corporate manager I knew who held a particular platinum card. Once, he took it out to pay for his hotel bill. His boss was also there and he took out exactly the same card, except that the card was a gold card. As everyone knows that the boss makes twice as much money as the "high flyer", boy was he embarrassed.

No, credit card as a status symbol - yes. As a strange status symbol - no.

jw5

Loyal
If you join RC and attend all the MP walkabout heheh what more if the MP knows you and call by your Western name
Bro

If you have read my other posts in this forum, you would know that this would be the last thing I would consider a status symbol.
But you are right that some people might consider it a status symbol, hence you may have a point there in calling it a strange status symbol.

But it's not what I'm referring to.

jw5

Loyal
Harley Davidson owners sitting at Starbucks sipping lattes and thinking every mudderfarker is admiring the chrome on their bikes and feeling that they're the baddest mudderfarker who's ever walked the valley.

And when it rains, they quickly push their scooters to shelter.

Cheers!
I like that! :smile:

Actually not a bad status symbol to have, if they can ride the bike well.
Do you know which starbucks they usually gather?
Are the owners usually rich kids of filthy rich parents?

jw5

Loyal
Latest iphone? A twitter account? Not wearing underwear?
I phone - nope, wouldn't be strange.

Twitter account - no, too common, not even a status symbol.

Not wearing underwear - Hahaha, I like that, but how can something be considered a status symbol if nobody knows about it?