• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
To tonychat: The chai buay also not bad. :wink:

To joetys: The ter kwa (liver) is very bad for gout. Too much meat also not so good, but ter kwa is very bad. :(

I'm afraid the chai-buay is also not good for Tony cos lots of bah-yew-poh lard

Agree liver and other spare parts bad for gout that's why I take only occasionally.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
You may not believe it but after living here for a while I'd kind of miss Thai food after a few days overseas. So, right after landing and unloading my stuff at home its off to Cokemai, the original Isaan restaurant, got to do it before I leave for my 2 weeks holiday later today.

Appitizer - roasted little crickets (Maeng Serdin)

Soup - spicy beef tendon soup (Tom Saeb End)

Soup 2 - herbal spicy wild mushroom fried fishhead soup (Gaeng Het Khon)

Red Ants Eggs Omelet (Khai Jeow Khai Moot Daeng)

Papaya Salad with Raw Flower Crab (Somtam Pu Mah)

Papaya Salad with Salted Eggs (Somtam Khai Khaem)

Roasted Kampong Chicken (Gai Yang)

Roasted whole Frog (Kob Yang)

Of course must take all the above with fresh raw vegetables and my favourite is Thail basils (not forgetting a bottle of Singha beer)

One may choose to have normal rice or sticky rice (khao niao) or roasted sticky rice (khao jee), this is khao jee

The front of the restaurant

You may think the above is a but they all come is small dishes even the chicken which is whole is small as its kampong chicken all the above costs only 890 baht $35.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Breakfast at Foodland Supermarket. Happy Hour (5:30am-9:00am) 56 baht, other time is 69 baht

Hot drink (fresh coffee, tea, milo etc) ; toast 2 slices (normal or while wheat) ; two eggs (whatever way you like) ; sausage or ham or bacon ; fruit juice ; water

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Breakfast at Foodland Supermarket. Happy Hour (5:30am-9:00am) 56 baht, other time is 69 baht

Hot drink (fresh coffee, tea, milo etc) ; toast 2 slices (normal or while wheat) ; two eggs (whatever way you like) ; sausage or ham or bacon ; fruit juice ; water

56 baht for all these is damn cheap.. i can have 3 sets.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
56 baht for all these is damn cheap.. i can have 3 sets.

Cheap i believe for Thais as a bowl of simple noodle would cost 30 baht and a coffee easily 20 baht but of course they will not spend this amount for breakfast. You cannot eat this la got sausage.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Cheap i believe for Thais as a bowl of simple noodle would cost 30 baht and a coffee easily 20 baht but of course they will not spend this amount for breakfast. You cannot eat this la got sausage.

ask for no sausage set.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A xmas slice of thai mango: Jingern ben (thaglish)??

Welcome to the season of silly hats and hangovers

Published: 22 Dec 2013 at 00.00
Newspaper section: News

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/386084/welcome-to-the-season-of-silly-hats-and-hangovers

It's ''Jingern Ben'' time again in Thailand (Jingle Bells to the uninitiated), but one suspects there won't be too much jingling going
on this year. A bit of whistle-blowing, perhaps.

But with all the gloomy news of late, the festive season is something of a relief before we return to grim reality. We might as well
enjoy the Jingern Ben break, as we can't escape it. It's the time of the year you find yourself wearing silly hats and singing even
sillier songs. Even the lady teller at my bank was sporting some cute bunny rabbit ears. The department store girls are doing
their bit as usual, donning Santa hats and wilting antlers and having to put up with mind-numbing festive music.

Anyway, let's all at least act in a jovial fashion, even if those hangovers mean you don't feel the least bit jovial, because the
coming year is unlikely to be a bundle of laughs.

Toys are not us
One thing noticeable this festive season is that the traditional toy sections of the department stores and malls are decidedly
quiet.

In past years they used to be overrun by screaming kids and stressed-out parents. Of course there has been a major change
in what children want for presents and it's not what you find in traditional toy shops.

The jolly days of Toys R Us seem to have been usurped by Phones 4u.

I wandered through a deserted toy section the other afternoon and there were dozens of Barbie dolls on the shelf gathering
dust and looking quite forlorn. I suspect they have already been stuck on that particular shelf for some years. Toy cars, trains,
spaceships and plastic dinosaurs looked equally lonely. Even those Transformer robot things that were hugely popular a few
years ago seem to be ignored.

And as for board games, they must be candidates for the museum.

When I asked a salesgirl if they stocked any jigsaw puzzles, she almost fainted in shock at such a weird request. At least the
cuddly toys still had a few customers.

Cooling off
Even the Thai weather has got into the Christmas spirit with temperatures plunging everywhere from Bangkok to Buri Ram.

Tourists who venture out in the morning might find it a bit odd to see the locals buried under sweaters and jackets in weather
they would normally associate with going to the beach. But by Thai standards, it's definitely been a bit on the chilly side _ a
shiver-inducing 18C in the Big Mango. What more can you say? Brrrr!

Even that fellow leading the street protests in the Bangkok looked like he could have done with a mug of hot Bovril the other
morning. Speaking of which, the cool weather is certainly a relief from all the hot air that's been floating around the past month.
But there could well be a steep rise in temperature today, not necessarily on the thermometer.

Fashionable weather
Arguably the most significant role of the cooler weather is that it allows Thai citizens, particularly the ladies, the chance to wear
something a bit different. After all, it gets a bit boring walking around in short sleeves and light clothes all year round. It is at least
an opportunity to give the old sua naow (sweater) an airing, or even better, an excuse to buy a new one even if it will only be
worn for a few days.

Admittedly some overdo it and look like they are heading off for an Arctic expedition, when their closest encounter with anything
cold will be air-conditioning at the local mall.

Faraway places ...
Sending a Christmas card earlier this week, I received a reminder that geography is perhaps not the most popular subject in
Thai schools. The card was addressed to relatives in Grand Cayman, part of the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean.

I went to a nearby branch of the post office in Bangkok and handed the card to the young fellow in charge. He examined it,
scratched his head , looked quizzical and asked me: ''Where?''

''Grand Cayman,'' I replied chirpily. ''It's in the Caribbean.''

''America?'' he asked.

''Not really America,'' I said, ''but not far away, just below Cuba.''

That was a mistake. ''Europe?'' he suggested.

''No,'' I replied, desperately trying to think what might help.''

''West Indies,'' I offered, rather hopefully.

Again, that was a mistake. ''Ah, India,'' he said.

It was back to square one.

... with strange-sounding names
I then spotted a faded outline of a world map painted on the wall behind him and walked over and pointed to Cuba. ''It's near
here,'' I said.

He was not convinced and asked his colleagues if anyone was familiar with Grand Cayman. No one had heard of the place
and they were all laughing their heads off. I was obviously a total madman who had dreamed up this mysterious country.

In the end I conceded defeat, had a good laugh and paid for a stamp. I'll be intrigued to discover if the card actually makes it.

And on that note I would like to wish all readers a Happy Jingern Ben season. And a final thought: If you have to give a present to
someone you don't really like, a cuckoo clock is not a bad idea. It can be really irritating

:p

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
At a roadside shop for char siew rice lunch in Huay Khwang. Owned by an old Thai Chinese couple with grownup children helping, it's a very old shop.

Ordered separate dishes not the typical way Thais eat which is usually mixed

above consists of a plate of mixed meat (100 baht), salted vege soup (40 baht) and a rice (10 baht)

The soup is cooked with pork ribs and stomach and intestines obviously I don't take spare parts but the soup is simply delicious

This stall is considered expensive as a simple plate of mixed rice with meat will cost 40 to 60 baht so most customers here are Thai Chinese.

Then i I mentioned roadside I mean it literally

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Year coming to an end. Time for a review.

Possibly the most overplayed song this year: แน่นอก

[video=youtube;ahkGRFhyxx4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahkGRFhyxx4[/video]

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A xmas slice of thai mango: Jingern ben (thaglish)??

Welcome to the season of silly hats and hangovers

Published: 22 Dec 2013 at 00.00
Newspaper section: News

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/386084/welcome-to-the-season-of-silly-hats-and-hangovers

It's ''Jingern Ben'' time again in Thailand (Jingle Bells to the uninitiated), but one suspects there won't be too much jingling going
on this year. A bit of whistle-blowing, perhaps.

But with all the gloomy news of late, the festive season is something of a relief before we return to grim reality. We might as well
enjoy the Jingern Ben break, as we can't escape it. It's the time of the year you find yourself wearing silly hats and singing even
sillier songs. Even the lady teller at my bank was sporting some cute bunny rabbit ears. The department store girls are doing
their bit as usual, donning Santa hats and wilting antlers and having to put up with mind-numbing festive music.

Anyway, let's all at least act in a jovial fashion, even if those hangovers mean you don't feel the least bit jovial, because the
coming year is unlikely to be a bundle of laughs.

Toys are not us
One thing noticeable this festive season is that the traditional toy sections of the department stores and malls are decidedly
quiet.

In past years they used to be overrun by screaming kids and stressed-out parents. Of course there has been a major change
in what children want for presents and it's not what you find in traditional toy shops.

The jolly days of Toys R Us seem to have been usurped by Phones 4u.

I wandered through a deserted toy section the other afternoon and there were dozens of Barbie dolls on the shelf gathering
dust and looking quite forlorn. I suspect they have already been stuck on that particular shelf for some years. Toy cars, trains,
spaceships and plastic dinosaurs looked equally lonely. Even those Transformer robot things that were hugely popular a few
years ago seem to be ignored.

And as for board games, they must be candidates for the museum.

When I asked a salesgirl if they stocked any jigsaw puzzles, she almost fainted in shock at such a weird request. At least the
cuddly toys still had a few customers.

Cooling off
Even the Thai weather has got into the Christmas spirit with temperatures plunging everywhere from Bangkok to Buri Ram.

Tourists who venture out in the morning might find it a bit odd to see the locals buried under sweaters and jackets in weather
they would normally associate with going to the beach. But by Thai standards, it's definitely been a bit on the chilly side _ a
shiver-inducing 18C in the Big Mango. What more can you say? Brrrr!

Even that fellow leading the street protests in the Bangkok looked like he could have done with a mug of hot Bovril the other
morning. Speaking of which, the cool weather is certainly a relief from all the hot air that's been floating around the past month.
But there could well be a steep rise in temperature today, not necessarily on the thermometer.

Fashionable weather
Arguably the most significant role of the cooler weather is that it allows Thai citizens, particularly the ladies, the chance to wear
something a bit different. After all, it gets a bit boring walking around in short sleeves and light clothes all year round. It is at least
an opportunity to give the old sua naow (sweater) an airing, or even better, an excuse to buy a new one even if it will only be
worn for a few days.

Admittedly some overdo it and look like they are heading off for an Arctic expedition, when their closest encounter with anything
cold will be air-conditioning at the local mall.

Faraway places ...
Sending a Christmas card earlier this week, I received a reminder that geography is perhaps not the most popular subject in
Thai schools. The card was addressed to relatives in Grand Cayman, part of the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean.

I went to a nearby branch of the post office in Bangkok and handed the card to the young fellow in charge. He examined it,
scratched his head , looked quizzical and asked me: ''Where?''

''Grand Cayman,'' I replied chirpily. ''It's in the Caribbean.''

''America?'' he asked.

''Not really America,'' I said, ''but not far away, just below Cuba.''

That was a mistake. ''Europe?'' he suggested.

''No,'' I replied, desperately trying to think what might help.''

''West Indies,'' I offered, rather hopefully.

Again, that was a mistake. ''Ah, India,'' he said.

It was back to square one.

... with strange-sounding names
I then spotted a faded outline of a world map painted on the wall behind him and walked over and pointed to Cuba. ''It's near
here,'' I said.

He was not convinced and asked his colleagues if anyone was familiar with Grand Cayman. No one had heard of the place
and they were all laughing their heads off. I was obviously a total madman who had dreamed up this mysterious country.

In the end I conceded defeat, had a good laugh and paid for a stamp. I'll be intrigued to discover if the card actually makes it.

And on that note I would like to wish all readers a Happy Jingern Ben season. And a final thought: If you have to give a present to
someone you don't really like, a cuckoo clock is not a bad idea. It can be really irritating

:p

He doesn't know the west indies? Does he know indonesia used to be known as the dutch east indies?

Rastas come from the carribean.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
First time I come across kra-phao served in the TG lounge, obviously this cannot be pork so its called kra-phao-gai-saab. Kra-phao is the most popular dish ordered by Thais and foreigners in Thailand, can say this is comfort food. Its actually made up of minced meat (pork = moo ; chicken = gai) stir fried with Thai basils and other herbs.

Also serving hoon-saen and gyoza today

For me my comfort food is simply this MAMA minced port

Ok ok the minced meat is not included on the cup noodle its actually the kra-phao-gai really yummy.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Here's the video of the Cokemai Isaan restaurant I went last night posted in post 11,762 above, just managed to upload

[video=youtube;SzzEFd_roUQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzzEFd_roUQ[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Am glad Sydney is cool today 20degC now same as Bangkok. Was told last Friday here's 42 degC

Now

Weather is downcast as you can see

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You may not believe it but after living here for a while I'd kind of miss Thai food after a few days overseas. So, right after landing and unloading my stuff at home its off to Cokemai, the original Isaan restaurant, got to do it before I leave for my 2 weeks holiday later today.

Appitizer - roasted little crickets (Maeng Serdin)

All i know is that crickets in thai = jing reet

The eggs + ant omelet is also good.