• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore is near the Equator, and has a tropical climate.

However, if my memory serves me well, when I was a child, SG was hot but not as hot and humid during my recent few visits in the past decade.

Toronto was not as hot when I arrived some 30 years ago, and there would be 1 to 2 weeks of hot and humid weather in July or August. But in recent years, sometimes, it is hot and humid in late May, and June. May and June used to be so pleasant, with day time high of 12 to 22C, and cool overnight lows for comfortable sleep.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Blu rays for 150bht i wonder if that's considered cheap

Bought dvds too since the damn player couldn't play blu ray

18779316569c8862029ee42853e5345c3c5d366b.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ja, you doing the touristy bit in Bangers? Is the pic at square at Siam Miramit (cultural show thingy?)?

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Winter's here in LOS

Daily Forecast Dec 18, 2013

Chiang Rai
* 7 23

Chiang Mai
* 10 24

Bangkok
* 18 32

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another interesting opinion/commentary on (sandwiched?) Bangkokian middle class

Opinion > Opinion COMMENTARY

Them Ol'middle class Bangkokian blues
Published: 15 Dec 2013 at 00.00
Newspaper section: News

There's a saying from even before Thaksin Shinawatra became prominent in politics: ''Provincial people voted them in,
Bangkok people kicked them out.'' The saying refers to the succession of stomach-churning governments during the 1990s
democracy experiment. Regime after regime, the provinces voted in the corrupt and incompetent, while Bangkokians
pressured each to step down. But for the past seven years, upcountry provincial folks have said, ''no, you're not going to kick
this one out''.

Here we're discussing the Bangkok middle class. They are not the elites. The bulk of them are a couple of generations (give
or take) removed from an immigrant or refugee boat or rural Thailand. We speak of them in general terms, as there are
many exceptions, including those who support Thaksin.

I myself am only one generation removed from a working-class family in Nakhon Ratchasima. This is a testament to
opportunities and social mobility in Thailand, with hard work and a bit of luck; building connections doesn't hurt either.

In recent Thai political history, democracy and good governance have always been at odds, and the pattern is frustrating for
the Bangkok middle class. Once they thought Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai Party was the answer. People are susceptible to a
good marketing campaign, which often paints mere illusions.

After the 2006 military coup, the Bangkok middle class took it for granted that the old elites would sort it out and set Thailand
straight. That was a mistake. The old elites have proven to be the least in touch with reality, while the new elites are the
most in touch. Meanwhile, the Bangkok middle class remains confused, caught between illusion and reality.

Over the past seven years, the Bangkok middle class has generally seen the Democrat Party as the right choice, but that
too was a mistake. In hindsight, it was perhaps more wishful thinking than anything else. Today, they are viewed as merely
the lesser of the two evils, except to their die-hard fans.

Confused and frustrated, here are the main complaints of the middle class: If the elites are the backbone of the country, then
that's autocracy; if the working class is the backbone, then that's Marxism. It is only when the middle class plays the main
role that democracy comes around.

So why is it that the voice of the middle class is so disregarded by the self-proclaimed democracy enthusiasts in favour of the
voice of the poor? They must be Marxist agitators in disguise.

In addition, if education is a criterion for a healthy democracy, why then do the least educated in the country get to dictate
the course of the country at the ballot box? Furthermore, while everyone pays taxes one way or another, why is it that it's
mainly the Bangkok middle class who pay income tax?

One man, one vote is fine in principle. But why in a country with a workforce of 38 million do only two million actually pay
income tax? This isn't equality; it's favouritism. You put more in the coffer, but still get the same one vote in return. Where's
the line between democracy and Marxism, the middle class asks. Why shouldn't each person put in the same percentage of
their income in return for their one vote?

Then there's the person the middle class views as the most corrupt manipulator, a fugitive criminal who controls the ballot box
and dictates to the Thai government. He is the darling of the poor because he throws populist policies at them, a portion of
which are paid for by the hard-earned money contributed by the middle class in income tax.

It's a masturbatory circle between the new elites and the poor, and they don't even have the courtesy to send the Bangkok
middle class an invitation card. So, indeed, they are angry and frustrated. But above all, they are confused. Democracy
sounded great in school. But the reality has always been that the corrupt and incompetent are in charge, with the blessing of
the poor majority. What the hell is going on here? Thus the Bangkok middle class find themselves in the streets and following
the lead of Suthep Thaugsuban, of all people _ an old-school politician with all the baggage that they despise in the first place.

As a member of the Bangkok middle class, allow me to say this: People, get over yourselves. Life was never meant to be
fair. You have been too busy making money and dancing to K-pop music, while letting the elites, both old and new, play you
for fools, and now the provincial poor see you as the enemy. You are trapped, squeezed and marginalised. Blame no one but
yourself.

Do something constructive about it. Protest and rally, but don't overthrow he system of electoral democracy. Don't rely on
the old elites, they are outdated. Don't blame the poor; they are being used as you have been used. Take it upon yourself to
bring about change.

Do you want to be the backbone, the class that decides the direction of this country? Democracy is strength in numbers, so
expand and recruit. Work with the poor. Spread educational opportunities. Expand the opportunities for wealth. Socially and
economically, bring the lower classes into the fold of the middle class.

Drop the urban arrogance. Stop looking down on upcountry folks whose ancestors likely came from Laos. Laos might be
yesterday's joke. But today, Laos is the new cool. Trust me, I'm a cool dude and only one generation removed from the land
of Ya Mo _ the wife of the deputy governor of Nakhon Ratchasima who saved the city from advancing Lao forces in 1826.
But the Lao influx and influence in northern Thailand didn't end then; it continues to this day.

It's hard work and it's for the long term, but barring a worldwide meteor-related apocalypse or alien invasion that creates an
extinction event, Thailand has time. Build the future instead of tearing apart the present in the hope of a quick fix.

Make enemies of Lao-Thais, and you will lose at the ballot box every time. Make friends with them, and one day the Thaksin
machine will lose.

Contact Voranai Vanijaka via email at [email protected].

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Jah, Tony will say you're a real man using Samsung. Always call me a gay using iPhone.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
If one in at the eastern side of Bangkok its worth to shop in Fashion Island Mall, used to be the largest mall in SEAsia once. The developer recently opened a connecting small mall called Promenade Mall, second floor is full of restaurants and ground floor shopping. Went to the Liu Xiang Chinese Restaurant last night -

Jelly Fish

Hor Fun with Garupa - this is my favourite as the horfun is freshly deepfried before the sauce is poured over it

Fish Maw with Prawns - the best I've eaten in Bangkok here

Hot Pot Sharks Fins - its very small and cost 1,500 baht a little expensive however when you consider the chunky sharks fins I believe its all worth definitely beter than Chinatown's Scala anytime

Hot Pot Brinjal with Black Bean - nothing special

Total cost with tea is 3,100 baht. not cheap but I'd say its worth.