• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Joe here's a nice fuckistani shit skin restaurant

18770684bf7b51b9d8d82c694469aeaad7a74f0d.jpg

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Funny many of these restaurants will quote Malaysia Singapore etc I've noticed this when I travel there.

Seems like they think all cos those mudland is a mudslime country while sg isn't they are somehow related but maybe they meant malayam? Nah doubt it.

It's full of crap though i bet their food is just one kind.

mikec

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Seems like they think all cos those mudland is a mudslime country while sg isn't they are somehow related but maybe they meant malayam? Nah doubt it.

It's full of crap though i bet their food is just one kind.

Not sure though. Never like suspicious looking food, all curries looked suspicious to me.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Calling.. stomach ache

A sorry slice of the thai mango, up north in Lampang. Calling, calling....new meaning to stomach ache (or indigestion) :eek::*:

Inmates conceal phones in stomach
Published: 16 Dec 2013 at 10.12
Online news: Local News
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/385080/inmates-conceal-phones-in-stomach

LAMPANG – Lampang prison officials were stunned to discover a prisoner had tried to conceal a mobile phone smuggled
into the jail by swallowing it and carrying it in his stomach.

Narong Juiset, director of Lampang Correction Institution for*Drug Rehabilitation said, the prisoner was sent to a doctor afte
he*developed a stomach ache.

An x-ray revealed he had what appeared to be a*mobile phone inside his stomach. He underwent an operation to remove it,
and it proved to be a small*Samsung mobile.

Mr Narong said searches had since resulted in the seizure of*12 mobile phones*that were being hidden in this life-threatenin
fashion.

It was extremely dangerous as the*phone could obstruct the*digestive system and cause*death.*

Mr Narong said the phones were smuggled*into the prison by visitors, and the concealed by the prisoners.

More stringent searches will be made of*items carried in by visitors,*to prevent further smuggling of illegal items to inmates,
he said

The Lampang correction institute is the largest in the North, holding more than 1,000 male inmates on drug-related cases.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Interesting satirical opinion on the (endemic?) greasing of palm in LOS. Think this applies to many parts in this region too :p

BREEZY MONDAY
Published: 16 Dec 2013 at 00.00
Newspaper section: Life

Killing two birds with zero-baht notes

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/385022/killing-two-birds-with-zero-baht-notes.

One of Kamnan Suthep Thaugsuban's proposals to the government is the eradication of corruption in Thailand.

I'm sure everyone agrees that corruption is one of the thorns on Thailand's rosy path to prosperity. So, even though the Kamnan received a rousing outbreak of whistles and rattles of the plastic hand-clappers on this topic, it remains to be seen how this is to be done.

I hate to say it, but corruption is found nestled in every cell of the collective Thai being. It's not that Thais are basically greedy by nature, but it's a flaw that grew out of the patronage system that was part and parcel of the traditional way of life of old Siam. It was a system for the haves to protect the have-nots in exchange for labour or goods. People presented their pigs and cows, and even their daughters to the privileged in the hope of currying favour. The daughters, on the other hand, were expected to gain better prospects in life than staying in the family homestead and marrying the farmer next door, or getting raped by the village bully.

Mutual dependence gradually turned to greed and a systematic demand for "gifts" in return for "favours". I don't need to go into that, since our own Mr Voranai Vanijaka has done that brilliantly before.

So how do we even start to break down a system that is so ingrained in our lifestyle?

How many people take it in their stride when they pay off a traffic warden who stops a car for making an illegal U-turn, or for running a red light? And why are policemen ambushing motorcyclists in particular to fine them for not wearing helmets, not having a rear-view mirror or a mudguard, or for riding in the wrong lane? But then, why are these motorcyclists not wearing helmets, or riding in the wrong lanes, and why don't they have rear-view mirrors or mudguards in the first place? It's a bit like snubbing your nose at authority.

And why are you running a red light, or making an illegal U-turn anyway, other than to shorten or speed up your trip? Taking a few more minutes longer won't make that much difference, will it?

I would never want to be a policeman in Thailand. I have heard that the starting-out pay for those at the bottom of the food chain is less than 2,000 baht a month, and the rate climbs up to just over 60,000 baht a month for those at the top. I am a normal middle class family of three, and I couldn't afford to live on that salary! It's hardly surprising that they rely on these extra bits and bobs.

In the early days people might have "relied" on these "donations", but "reliance" easily becomes "expectation".

Gems and jewellery shops that target tourist groups are happy to pay "tea money" to drivers of coaches, taxis and tuk-tuks to bring their passengers to their stores.

Taxis prefer the higher flat fares that they can charge tourists than the measly meter fares they get from ordinary passengers.

Build a house, and you'll probably be oiling your way through the approval system to get your papers at the top of the pile rather than the bottom.

We are all equally guilty and responsible for perpetuating the system.

According to the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) scored by Transparency International (TI), Thailand ranks 102 out of a total of 177 countries surveyed in 2013. Out of a score of 100 (for least corrupt), we earned 35, on par with Ecuador, Moldova and Panama, and just above Argentina, Bolivia, Gabon, Mexico and Niger who each scored 34.

At the top of the scale were Denmark and New Zealand who each scored 91.I'm not sure it's a point that the Tourism Authority of Thailand would want to put in their promotional campaigns for 2014.

Perhaps we should look to India who have come up with their own campaign to stamp out corruption. The 5th Pillar group has issued zero-rupee notes that members hand to corrupt officials when demanding "tea money".

You might laugh it off as a crazy form of Monopoly currency, but at least it's catching the public's attention, and creating awareness of the issue at hand.

One trishaw driver who was ambushed by police demanding to be paid off gave the officer a zero-rupee note, and it turned out that the officer just smiled and waved him off. He was one lucky guy, that trishaw driver.

Give it to the wrong guy and you could get a night in jail, or a bullet in your head for being a smart alec.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
22 C will be balmy for us, compared to the minus 22C earlier this morning.
It has been very cold for the past week, that on Sunday, Dec 15, 2013, the City of Toronto issued an Extreme Cold Alert.
It feels cold, but when I walk to the gym in the morning, I wore corduroy pants, a cotton turtle neck, a cotton shirt, leather jacket (should have my down parka when it is below minus 15C) and sheepskin (shearling) hat.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
22 C will be balmy for us, compared to the minus 22C earlier this morning.
It has been very cold for the past week, that on Sunday, Dec 15, 2013, the City of Toronto issued an Extreme Cold Alert.
It feels cold, but when I walk to the gym in the morning, I wore corduroy pants, a cotton turtle neck, a cotton shirt, leather jacket (should have my down parka when it is below minus 15C) and sheepskin (shearling) hat.

tsk tsk tsk cold really troublesome. Anyway saw yesterday's news northern Vietnam snowed like crazy

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tsk tsk tsk cold really troublesome. Anyway saw yesterday's news northern Vietnam snowed like crazy

There was a snow storm in Toronto from Friday to Sunday morning.
It is very cold all across Canada (edited, not the continent), and the snow storm hit the East Coast.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Gosh it's cold tonight many are wearing jackets outside with this 22.5 degC temp.