• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand ? Feasible?

Here's what I have for dinner. Jim Joon and Pla Pao (Thai Steamboat and BBQ Fish). The fish is Pla Nim or Jit Poon fish.
The steamboat used in this shop is a little different. Use a aluminium pot instead of traditional clay pot style. I ordered the Talay (seafood) version. Comes with lots of vegges.

Photo0244.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This is the BBQ fish (Pla Pao). The name of the fish is Pla Nim or Jit Boon Fish.Usually, the fish is stuff with some pandan leaves. Fish look big but one person can finish the entire fish. I asked for all types of dipping sauces and turn out the green one (Nam Jim Talay or seafood sauce) is best.

Photo0243.jpg

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Not included in the pic are Hoi Lai Pak Prik Kra Tiam (Fried La La with chilly and garlic) and of course Hoi Nang Rom (Local cheap oyster). The oyster usually eat with fried onions, seafood sauce and a vegetable (Don't know the vegetable name). If buy from supermarket, about THB 30.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Every night this hour I will cycle to the nearby 永和豆漿 and buy a big cup of hot soya bean juice. The weather is so freaking cold, especially when you're cycling.
This post makes me craves for Nam Tao Hu (Dao Huay Jui) and Pa Dong Ko (You Tiao) breakfast but I did not cycle.:wink: Ride my scooter to get. Just 2 sois away.

Photo0278.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I always order Nam Dao Hu Kosong and used my specially SG imported Almond syrup. Aroi Mak!
Photo0279.jpg

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If you read between the lines I believe you can see that most of us also work our asses off. But I have to agree its sanook mak mak because the land is big the opportunities are bigger. Any time Jah you come here we will ensure a sanook mak mak time for you too. Stamp Chop Seal Confirmed

I can see that your hard work has paid off. I'm sure you're considered hi-so in thailand.

Sure if i'm free perhaps i might drop by to meet you guys.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I always order Nam Dao Hu Kosong and used my specially SG imported Almond syrup. Aroi Mak!

knn pii chon, you sibeh old school, now I started to crave for this almond water liao, its so simple and delicious, even put into a cup of hot milk (condense milk with hot water) is sibeh song.

I can see that your hard work has paid off. I'm sure you're considered hi-so in thailand.

Sure if i'm free perhaps i might drop by to meet you guys.

Nope buddy not paid off yet but will continue to work as long as I can maybe 75, yes this is my stand because retirement for me is like waiting for time. When you work you have excuse to leave home and overnight when you visit upcountry "customers" so the moment you retire you have to face the home like a prison. Nope again buddy, hi-so Thais dressed extravagantly and women have exploded hair, for me I'm always in my slippers and shorts and a beach shirt or something like this, like kopi-tiam uncle. Welcome you first, no need to wait to be free la, LOS is so close.

Sawasdee krup.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

knn pii chon, you sibeh old school, now I started to crave for this almond water liao, its so simple and delicious, even put into a cup of hot milk (condense milk with hot water) is sibeh song.

Nope buddy not paid off yet but will continue to work as long as I can maybe 75, yes this is my stand because retirement for me is like waiting for time. When you work you have excuse to leave home and overnight when you visit upcountry "customers" so the moment you retire you have to face the home like a prison. Nope again buddy, hi-so Thais dressed extravagantly and women have exploded hair, for me I'm always in my slippers and shorts and a beach shirt or something like this, like kopi-tiam uncle. Welcome you first, no need to wait to be free la, LOS is so close.

Sawasdee krup.
Yes, never fail to max out my luggage allowance with all the SG goodies.

Hehehe. you talking about me arh?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

You've seen me, you know how sloppy I am (knn could it be people from q'town? :biggrin:)

Got to go now, sending my Camry for 10 days of repairs, nothing major just claiming insurance from the guy who bang my car

Yes, never fail to max out my luggage allowance with all the SG goodies.

Hehehe. you talking about me arh?

Last edited:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is the BBQ fish (Pla Pao). The name of the fish is Pla Nim or Jit Boon Fish.Usually, the fish is stuff with some pandan leaves. Fish look big but one person can finish the entire fish. I asked for all types of dipping sauces and turn out the green one (Nam Jim Talay or seafood sauce) is best.

It seems that your stomach is fully "tropicalised" and you're able to eat whatever food that the Thai dish out to you. I'm still very much a "restaurant guy" in Thailand.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

sloppy I am (knn could it be people from q'town? :biggrin:)
Got to go now, sending my Camry for 10 days of repairs, nothing major just claiming insurance from the guy who bang my car]
Once upon a time, we possibly did hang out near NTUC, bowling alley and cinema there.

Pssst, good excuse to bring your Bentley out for a spin.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Once upon a time, we possibly did hang out near NTUC, bowling alley and cinema there.

I used to go to the Margaret Dr polyclinic and after that, the nearby hawker center - best yu tiao on the island.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

It's 11 degrees in RoC plus humidity.

nao mak !

Sabai mak leoi pii. I always have a small pewter bottle of brandy in my pocket or glove compartment for emergency like this.

Bentley? Wahahahaha. Rather spend such money to buy farmland here.

I used to go to the Margaret Dr polyclinic and after that, the nearby hawker center - best yu tiao on the island.

You also Q'town boy (girl) ?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You've seen me, you know how sloppy I am (knn could it be people from q'town? :biggrin:)

Got to go now, sending my Camry for 10 days of repairs, nothing major just claiming insurance from the guy who bang my car

Find it quite amazing. How come the LOS runroaders machiam all from Queenstown one? Some more no chance to vote one hah? NW also from Queenstown right?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It seems that your stomach is fully "tropicalised" and you're able to eat whatever food that the Thai dish out to you. I'm still very much a "restaurant guy" in Thailand.
Yes, In LOS, I eat almost everything that is edible except grasshoppers and worms. Som Tam Plu Pla La also now my favorite Gab Gaem (Go with beer). I have tried all kind of food in Pattaya. And have to say even the best fine dining restaurant I tried, Manhattans and Mantra, cannot beat this roadside THB 40, Char Siew/Roast Duck Rice. :smile:
Usually if I am alone, I will just eat at roadside stall.

Photo0083.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Well, in case of emergency, take this. Never leave Sinkee land without it.
Photo0280.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

OK, the youtiao stall relocate to Alexandra Hawker Centre (The one opposite Queensway shopping centre). The famous one man Char Kway Teow think relocate to Telok Blangah Cresent hawker centre but not sure if still around.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bentley? Wahahahaha. Rather spend such money to buy farmland here.
You also Q'town boy (girl) ?

No. That time in JC - Margaret Dr was the closest poly. MRT was still under construction - that will date me easily. Always afraid of the pai kia hanging out at the bowling alley there :smile:. Brings back old memories - that area among the earliest flats around.

Khun Ying Pojaman said:
It's 11 degrees in RoC plus humidity.
nao mak !

In the past, spent some time up north up in Lanna country - it typically gets that cold in Dec as well. That time, no hot water heater available - have to take a "shower" using a plastic scoop out of a big vat. Man, does that wake you up. The good thing is all the nasty bugs also nowhere to be found in winter. Bad news is that snakes like the relative warmth of the bathroom so never go into the bathroom without checking. People up country will build a fire, and you sit around the pit drinking tea/coffee warming yourselves and choking in the smoke. Sometimes I'd get a chance to go into the mountains and stay in a hilltribe (Lisaw) village - it gets even colder up there. I remember the first time, mao rot (carsick) mak - the road (road is a charitable term - more like path) is bumpy and winding and sitting in the pickup bed makes things worse.