• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand ? Feasible?

But bit OTT, how not to know each other names despite being together for days in Korea????

IIRC, both were coming off bad breakups and didn't want to know/ask each other's names because it was an "in the moment" thing - they were not going to see each other after Korea.

In real life, not uncommon, among my non-business acquaintances I know their "cheuh len" (nickname) but I don't necessarily know their "cheuh jing" (first name) nor their "cheuh namsakul" (last name). To ask is sometimes impolite and you might get labeled curious (khwam yaak ru yaak hen)

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Just had to re-produce this 1 from another thread here. Not in keeping with this thread, but possibilities in my next 2 hours flight to Bangers..:o:p

http://www.sextutor.com/plane/

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Somebody asked about Thonglor upthread. I used to live in Thonglor in the mid-nineties - it has changed quite a bit from then. It's very hip now - I liken it to HollandV or Katong - very nice upmarket one-off restaurants, lots of new condos, funky new malls like SeenSpace, a 24-hour Took Lae Dee, chill bars etc. A couple of months back, I ate at Almatum - alfresco dining in the garden on cushions, chill music, Isaan food at an old restored house that looks like something from Katong - very nice. It's like I wasn't even in Bangkok - quiet, no tall buildings.

Thanks for the lead about Almatum. I will definitely wanna check it out some time soon. I love Isaan food. I live in Ranintra Soi 5 next to Central Ramintra. So I am not very familiar with Thonglor and even Ekkamiai areas. Guess the only places I go there is Ekkamia Soi 5 when I bring the dog to her hospital every week. Which location do you reside nowadays?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Siow liaoz. Today apartment doing water tank upgrading works. No water from 9am - 6pm. Notice was at the entrance of apartment since last week but I bochap. Looks like need to find a place for shower liaoz. :wink:

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks for the lead about Almatum. I will definitely wanna check it out some time soon. I love Isaan food. I live in Ranintra Soi 5 next to Central Ramintra. So I am not very familiar with Thonglor and even Ekkamiai areas. Guess the only places I go there is Ekkamia Soi 5 when I bring the dog to her hospital every week. Which location do you reside nowadays?

No longer living in Bangkok unfortunately but I'm here a couple times a year (sometimes work/mostly pleasure). Since you love Isaan food, you must know about Somtam Nua at Siam Sq. That's a good one. I like Tom Saep, Gai Yang, all the different Larbs and of course Sai Kok (sausage) Isaan - I like the preaw (sour) version. You know, there's some authentic Isaan food in Ratchada as a lot of Isaan workers appear to live there e.g. Soi 19 onwards near See Yaek Sutthisan - I see lots of roadside stalls that when I pass, I hear Isaan dialect spoken - it's not hard to detect Isaan dialect - it sounds very different from Thai.

For other cuisines besides Chinese/Japanese - Bangkok surprisingly is not a great place. The food is just not authentic because Thais don't appear to like it authentic. For example, I've never found an real Vietnamese restaurant - they must exist somewhere. Instead you go into any Vietnamese restaurant and you find the ubiquitous Thai "4 condiment" tray. Thais appear to want to make everything preaw/wan/phet/khem.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Siow liaoz. Today apartment doing water tank upgrading works. No water from 9am - 6pm. Notice was at the entrance of apartment since last week but I bochap. Looks like need to find a place for shower liaoz. :wink:

How about Rusputin? Got people help rub back also.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bought this MP3 player from Tuk com which can be attached to motorcycle or bicycle. Also ask shop to load 1 Gb of slow rock songs! Obiang boh?

Photo0260.jpg

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal

Somebody asked about Thonglor upthread. I used to live in Thonglor in the mid-nineties - it has changed quite a bit from then. It's very hip now - I liken it to HollandV or Katong - very nice upmarket one-off restaurants, lots of new condos, funky new malls like SeenSpace, a 24-hour Took Lae Dee, chill bars etc. A couple of months back, I ate at Almatum - alfresco dining in the garden on cushions, chill music, Isaan food at an old restored house that looks like something from Katong - very nice. It's like I wasn't even in Bangkok - quiet, no tall buildings.

Do you know of any apartment for rent daily at Thonglor..? it might be a good idea to stay there for a few days.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Last night had dinner at EURO STAR. This place is located in front of Jomtien Beach (Soi 2). Have both Western and Thai food in their menu. Non-airconditioned but windy. Western food is OK but Thai food so so. Pai seh pic a little blur after compression.

Photo0250.jpg

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Do you know of any apartment for rent daily at Thonglor..? it might be a good idea to stay there for a few days.

There's Pan Pacific Suites on Sukhumvit Soi 55 - right in the middle of everything - it's next to a shopping mall with a Foodland in the basement. If you're talking about a real studio apartment, I believe hard to find one on short lease even for a month - Thonglor's in demand - my colleagues who are still there pay 40K/month and up on yearly leases.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

No longer living in Bangkok unfortunately but I'm here a couple times a year (sometimes work/mostly pleasure). Since you love Isaan food, you must know about Somtam Nua at Siam Sq. That's a good one. I like Tom Saep, Gai Yang, all the different Larbs and of course Sai Kok (sausage) Isaan - I like the preaw (sour) version. You know, there's some authentic Isaan food in Ratchada as a lot of Isaan workers appear to live there e.g. Soi 19 onwards near See Yaek Sutthisan - I see lots of roadside stalls that when I pass, I hear Isaan dialect spoken - it's not hard to detect Isaan dialect - it sounds very different from Thai.

For other cuisines besides Chinese/Japanese - Bangkok surprisingly is not a great place. The food is just not authentic because Thais don't appear to like it authentic. For example, I've never found an real Vietnamese restaurant - they must exist somewhere. Instead you go into any Vietnamese restaurant and you find the ubiquitous Thai "4 condiment" tray. Thais appear to want to make everything preaw/wan/phet/khem.

I do go to the Somtam Nua near my house along teh Kaset/Nawamin road. Nice garden setting there with 2 very good bands playing every night. But I have to say food is more like Isaan fusion. Not very authentic but very delicious nevertheless. Here's a picture of the stage I get from google

Somtum-Nua---Kaset-Nawamin_12.jpg

For real Isaan food, I go to Crokmai restaurant very very close to Somtam Nua in Kaset/Nawamin. Here's the website http://www.crokmaithailao.com/ food is 100% Isaan and they even serve all those bugs which I like. My maid is Isaan from Udon so I could understand quite a bit. You are right when in Ratchada/Sutthisan/HuayKwang areas one find many Isaan food stalls along the streets especially in the Talat Huay Kwang next to Somboon Ratchada Seafood.

I agree Vietnamese food here sucks. However Italian and Japanese food here are very authentic and inexpensive too. Next time you come look me up la. Bring you to Crokmai if you like Isaan or Nathong for good seafood in Mingjai area.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Hehehehehe. Think this hour not many back rubbers on duty yet. :p

This hour is best best because hoi-sot-sot (fresh). Later you have competition and worst got to use hairdryer. :biggrin:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I cant do that though i got a long dick....because of my big beer belly.....

Heard LOS got new banknotes issued? Anyone seen them yet?

How are you Narong? New notes so far seen only 50 denomination. The rest not seen yet. In fact no one that I know had seen any other than 50s. Here's it crumpled right from my pocket.

82f5b478.jpg

06fe4e15.jpg

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Best Viet food in BKK is VT Namnueng in Golden Place Praram 9....this chain is 2nd only to Daeng Namnueng of Nong Khai.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How are you Narong? New notes so far seen only 50 denomination. The rest not seen yet. In fact no one that I know had seen any other than 50s. Here's it crumpled right from my pocket.

82f5b478.jpg

QUOTE]Thank you mak mak....they just updated the king's image.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal

I agree Vietnamese food here sucks. However Italian and Japanese food here are very authentic and inexpensive too.

This sounds interesting. Kaiseki course at Kagonoya . Good Japanese food in Thailand is for sure given the numbers of Japanese who live here, particularly in Thonglor. This is place is on my to-do list. If you've ever had Japanese fine dining, you'll know it's not tonkatsu, it's not tempura and it's not just sushi. A good Kaiseki meal is to die for. Even the provenance of the steamed rice (e.g. Koshihikari from what province) is proudly presented and displayed. While Fuji or Zen hits the spot for me, it ain't fine dining.

Next time you come look me up la. Bring you to Crokmai if you like Isaan or Nathong for good seafood in Mingjai area.

I might take you up on your offer. I'll be there end of March - will send you PM.