• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal wants Nani back at Manchester United in shock January U-turn

566361_heroa.jpg

Nov 7, 2014 09:20:00

The 27-year-old has impressed since his loan return to Sporting although taking the Portugal international back to Old Trafford would prove an expensive move for the Red Devils

EXCLUSIVE
By Duncan Castles

Manchester United have taken the extraordinary step of inquiring about Nani's interest in returning to Old Trafford in January – just 12 weeks after they allowed him to join Sporting on an expensive season-long loan.

The 27-year-old was permitted to return to Portugal in August as part of the complex deal United's executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward negotiated to sign Marcos Rojo.

In addition to a €20 million transfer fee, Woodward granted Nani a temporary move to Sporting without a loan fee and with United covering the vast majority of the winger’s salary.

At the time, Nani had grown frustrated with his diminished status at Old Trafford and was ruled out of United’s long-term plans. Such have been the club's travails since then, however, he is now wanted back.

One reason for United's changed stance is Louis van Gaal's decision to stand down the ill-considered 3-5-2 formation with which he began his managerial reign.

A switch to the 4-1-4-1 shape deployed against Chelsea and Manchester City has highlighted his squad's shortcomings on the wings, with only Angel Di Maria performing well in the role.

Another is the quality of Nani's play for Sporting. Restored to the kind of pivotal attacking role which saw him elected United's Players' Player of the Year in their 2010-11 title-winning season, Nani has excelled in Portugal, scoring six times in 13 appearances; including three from four Champions League fixtures. He has been directly involved in more than half of Sporting's goals since his return.

Nani's importance to Sporting mitigates against Woodward and Van Gaal securing his return. The terms of his loan deal entail that even if the player and the Lisbon club were to agree to cancel the full-season arrangement, United can expect to be asked for substantial additional compensation for Rojo as well as the salary costs of Nani's replacement.

While United have shown little hesitation in throwing unprecedented sums of money at player recruitment since Woodward's elevation to lead negotiator, rescinding the loan would be a further inelegant financial move.

Nani remains one of the club's best-paid footballers courtesy of the lucrative five-year contract David Moyes and Woodward awarded him in the summer of 2013.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool almost out of title race - Mourinho

8 November 2014

718545header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho warned Liverpool they would almost be out of title contention if beaten on Saturday.

Brendan Rodgers' men already trail Premier League leaders Chelsea by 12 points ahead of their meeting at Anfield.

Liverpool's title challenge took a huge hit in the corresponding fixture last season, and Mourinho believes it could happen again.

"I expect a game where Liverpool know that, if they lose, they are 15 points behind," he said.

"If they are 15 points behind in November, obviously it's not over but it's difficult.

"If they win, nine points behind is different to 15. It's a very good motivation for them. So I expect them to try and win.

"But our intention is to win. Our intention is, when we have the ball, to score goals."

Mourinho, whose side are unbeaten in 10 league games and top the table by four points, believes Chelsea have endured the toughest start to the campaign of any team.

"I feel we have had the hardest start. In our first 11 games we'll have gone to [Manchester] United, [Manchester] City and Liverpool," he said.

"Normally you'd accept three losses from our first 11 matches. But we are getting important points everywhere."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Falcao slams 'lies' about injured knee

552321_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Nov 10, 2014 19:01:00

Reports had claimed that the Colombian has to ice his knee after every Man Utd training session and match to prevent further damage, which the striker strenuously denied

Manchester United striker Radamel Falcao has denied reports that he has had to ice his left knee after every training session and match in order to maintain fitness.

The Colombian spent several months out injured and missed the World Cup this summer after suffering cruciate ligament damage while playing for Monaco in January.

Reports claimed icing the knee was now necessary to avoid incurring further damage but Falcao posted a message on Twitter that condemns "speculation" and "lies".

"One fool speculates. A few others lacking objectivity respond and millions believe lies," the forward wrote.

"It is disastrous what a few fools can do."

United have already shaken hands on a deal with Monaco to sign Falcao permanently for €55 million at the end of the season.

The move would require the Red Devils to be satisfied with his fitness, as well as his performances, but both sides are confident that it will go through.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Oscar signs new Chelsea deal

10 November 2014

721243header.jpg

Chelsea midfielder Oscar has signed a new contract with the Premier League leaders which will run until 2019.

The Brazil international has made 126 appearances for the London club since moving to Stamford Bridge from Internacional two years ago.

Oscar has scored 27 goals for Chelsea, including four this season, and has been a regular in the starting line-up under Jose Mourinho.

The 23-year-old playmaker did not hesitate to extend his stay at the club which he helped to win the UEFA Europa League in his first season in England and will be expected to add more honours over the coming years.

"I am so happy because I love playing for Chelsea and living in England," he told the club's official website.

"I have enjoyed playing here for two years, and now I have five more, so I am very happy."

During his time at Chelsea, Oscar has also made the step up to become a regular for Brazil, starting in seven matches during their World Cup as the hosts finished fourth.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Adebayor hits out at Tottenham boo boys

10 November 2014

721185header.jpg

​Emmanuel Adebayor has hit out at Tottenham fans for failing to get behind the side during a poor run of form.

The Togo striker criticised supporters for getting on the players' backs too quickly and believes it is having a detrimental impact on performances.

Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Stoke City was their fourth at White Hart Lane in the Premier League under Mauricio Pochettino this season, with the reaction of the fans leading Adebayor to suggest the players now prefer playing away from home.

"It's kind of hard when you know the first bad ball you make the fans are going to boo you," he said.

"When you are playing in front of your own crowd you want them to support you. But now it is like going through a sad moment and your family not welcoming you home.

"That's the worst thing ever because you have nowhere to go. At the moment I don't know whether we should play at home or whether we should play away."

However, he did have sympathy for the Spurs faithful, admitting the side needs to react and give them something to cheer about in future home matches.

"It's hard for the players," he added. "It's not their fault and it's not the fans' fault either because the fans want to see a result, the fans want to see a response and things are not going our way at the moment.

"We just have to fight as a team and as a club to find a solution. The quicker the better.

"Maybe we can go out and win the next game 3-0 or 4-0 and that will be it – the fans will be back enjoying Tottenham again and we will have it like it was when I first came here on loan.

"Then, every weekend I was happy to come in and play for the club because I knew I was going to have fun and enjoy it.

"Now it is not fun anymore. The critics are there and I welcome them – I take them in a good way and hopefully I will do my talking on the pitch.

"At the moment things are not going our way, but it cannot go any lower than this. Things can only get better."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pochettino: We felt the pressure

Mauricio Pochettino admits Tottenham are struggling to overcome the pressure at White Hart Lane after his side lost 2-1 at home to Stoke on Sunday.

Steven%20N%27Zonzi%20of%20Stoke%20City%20and%20Federico%20Fazio%20of%20Spurs%20compete%20for%20the%20ball%20during%20the%20Barclays%20Premier%20League%20match%20between%20Tottenham%20Hotspur%20and%20Stoke%20City.jpg

Monday 10th November 2014

Stoke were two ahead before the break thanks to strikes from Bojan Krkic and Jonathan Walters and the Potters held off a late Tottenham rally after Nacer Chadli had given the hosts hope late on.

Spurs have now lost four out of their last five home games in the league and the latest defeat sees Pochettino's men drop to 12th in the Barclays Premier League table.

"When we conceded the first goal, we felt the pressure," Pochettino said.

"When you play the way we want to play, you need to feel confident on the pitch because it's important to create the space, to be patient with the ball.

"It's true that when we conceded the goal we started to take rash decisions and felt uncomfortable in possession."

Pochettino continued: "We have to find a solution and change the mentality.

"We conceded a goal after six minutes and then the team needed a lot of time to recover the performance. This is what we need to change."

Pochettino's high-tempo style of play worked wonders at Southampton last season but the Argentinian appears to be having trouble convincing Tottenham's players to adopt his ideas.

"It's clear from the results that we need to improve, we need to improve a lot," Pochettino said.

"It's another defeat and we need to improve, this is clear to see.

"In football you always need time to implement different methods but we need to improve quickly because you never have a long time in football.

"You need to get results and we need to find a solution quickly. My challenge in the next few weeks is to change the mentality and to find that solution."

Pochettino substituted Christian Eriksen at half-time for the second consecutive league game and also took Andros Townsend off at the break.

The Tottenham boss insists the pair were replaced for "tactical reasons" and that all the players shared his disappointment in the dressing room.

"They know my feelings and I know their feelings," Pochettino added.

"We have been here for months and we know the players and the players know me.

"We feel the same. We are very disappointed and frustrated and not happy because our performance was not good enough."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini won't change his outlook

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has vowed to stick to his tried and tested approach to arrest the champions' poor run of form.

Manchester%20City%20Manager%20Manuel%20Pellegrini%20gives%20orders%20to%20Stevan%20Jovetic.jpg

Monday 10th November 2014

The international break comes after one win in six matches for City, with their Champions League future teetering on the edge and with them eight points behind Premier League leaders Chelsea.

The latest blow came against survival hopefuls QPR in a 2-2 draw when City were outplayed bar Sergio Aguero's brilliance and double strike.

Pellegrini, though, insisted he would not compromise his plans.

"We don't have any doubts," Pellegrini said.

"We will continue to work in the same way we are doing.

"We'll continue to play the style of play we always do. And especially for me, when you have a bad moment you must have more trust in what you do.

"It's important to have the national break in this moment.

"We are maybe not in a very good moment but the team continued fighting, continued working until the end. We tried to win.

"We had a lot of chances to score. We didn't do it. That's why we just drew."

Pellegrini made some alterations following the midweek loss to CSKA Moscow - four changes in personnel and a change in shape to a 4-4-1-1 - but City were still susceptible in defence, particularly without Vincent Kompany as Eliaquim Mangala struggled.

The Chilean pointed to the goals against column in City's defence and responded to Sam Allardyce's comments last month that Mangala had been left exposed at West Ham by referencing his side's prolific record against the Hammers last season.

"When you are a manager and win you have all the solutions," Pellegrini said.

"The same manager (Allardyce), we last year scored 14 goals (in four games against West Ham) and he didn't have the solution.

"We are conceding goals but we are the third best defence in the league, with one more goal (conceded) than Chelsea.

"So be careful, we're not so bad."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Man Utd's best chance of getting into the Champions League is to swim the Channel'

572331_heroa.jpg

Nov 10, 2014 15:52:00

EXCLUSIVE: The former Red Devils boss gives a withering criticism of Louis van Gaal's reign and says striker Radamel Falcao would "get injured on Question of Sport"

By Russell Stoddart

Former Manchester United manager Tommy Docherty has called on Louis van Gaal to end the club’s dismal start to the season or "swim the Channel" if they want to get in the Champions League.

The Scot, who managed the club between 1972 and 1977, issued a withering criticism of Van Gaal’s first three months in charge at Old Trafford.

“Van Gaal must have arrived dreaming of winning the title, but that went out the window in the opening few weeks," he told Goal.

“I wouldn’t put any money on them finishing in the top four, to be honest. Unless they buck up their ideas, their best chance of getting into the Champions League is to swim the Channel.

“There is no doubt that Van Gaal’s record on the continent is fantastic, but perhaps he hasn’t appreciated that the Premier League is a different ball game.”

Docherty believes that United under Van Gaal is proof that David Moyes’ ill-fated Reds tenure was cut short too early.

“Moyes was treated very harshly at United, and this season is proving that," he added.

“Van Gaal has spent a fortune in the transfer market and yet, despite having a worse record than Moyes at this stage, there is no clamour for his head.

“Injuries have not been kind to him, but I fear that Van Gaal will run out of money before he runs out of players if he is preparing another buying spree in January.

“He has made too many changes, too quickly. Of course he has had more than his fair share of injuries to the squad, but the big money additions should be the finished article, and that is not what we are seeing.

“Angel Di Maria should be the best player in the Premier League, but he’s only impressed in glimpses, and as for Falcao, well he’d get injured on Question of Sport.

“Luke Shaw is a young, English international and it is good to see him at United, but the jury is still out on him, though I believe he is still just finding his feet, even though he looked better when he was at Southampton.”

582841.jpg

Ironically, according to Docherty, one of the few players prospering under Van Gaal is Marouane Fellaini, who David Moyes clearly rated but failed to deliver when brought to United by his former Everton boss last summer.

“Fellaini is beginning to look the part and it may well be that it has dawned on him that he is on his final chance.

“He has a presence in midfield that United have lacked in recent times and how ironic would it be if it is him who comes to United’s rescue this season.”

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aston Villa and Tottenham fined by FA

587921_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Nov 11, 2014 23:56:00

Both sets of players clashed during Spurs recent 2-1 win, with the Football Association penalising the clubs for failing to control their squads as Christian Benteke was sent off

The Football Association has handed Aston Villa and Tottenham a €25,000 fine after an altercation during their recent Premier League fixture.

The hosts were leading 1-0 at Villa Park earlier this month when a skirmish broke out midway through the second half.

Villa striker Christian Benteke clashed with Spurs' Ryan Mason and Erik Lamela, and was subsequently sent off for pushing the former in the face, before two late goals for the visitors earned them a dramatic 2-1 victory.

On Tuesday, the FA confirmed that both clubs had been hit with a financial penalty for failing to control their players.

"Both Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur have been fined £20,000 after the clubs admitted a breach of FA Rules in relation to their fixture on 2 November 2014," an FA statement read.

"The charge was that the clubs failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion in or around the 66th minute of the match.

"Both clubs accepted the standard penalty fine of €25,000."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cruyff: Balotelli attitude comes from lack of education

579941_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Nov 11, 2014 08:53:00

The Italy international completed a €20 million move to Liverpool in the summer but has struggled so far, netting just two goals, and has been criticised by the former Ajax boss

Former Barcelona boss Johan Cruyff claims Mario Balotelli's poor form at Liverpool stems from a lack of education.

Balotelli joined the Reds in a €20 million summer deal from AC Milan but has yet to score a Premier League goal, his two strikes thus far coming against Ludogorets in the Champions League and Swansea City in the League Cup.

His misfiring displays have led many to question the striker's attitude, his languid style of play drawing criticism from fans and pundits alike, but Cruyff believes that Balotelli is not entirely at fault because he was not taught how to behave in his younger years.

"What I think about Balotelli as a player and as a man? We always talk about the person, I prefer to talk about the education of the person," he told Gazzetta dello Sport. "Balotelli doesn't behave well and we have to ask why.

"To me, if someone is not educated, he doesn't play. To me, it is not the fault of the player, but of the team that makes him play. The problem is not Mario, but the education that was given to him.

"If he had been educated in a certain way, he wouldn't behave this way."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dzeko out with 'very serious injury'

583941_heroa.jpg

Matthew Scott
Nov 10, 2014 22:07:00

The forward flew out to Bosnia-Herzegovina to link up with his national team but will miss the Euro 2016 qualifier against Israel with a thigh problem

Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko is set for a spell on the sidelines with a "serious" thigh injury according to Bosnia-Herzegovina's team doctor Reuf Karaberg.

Dzeko lasted just four minutes as a second-half substitute at QPR in the Premier League on Saturday before picking up the problem and making way for Frank Lampard.

The striker still flew out to his homeland to report for duty ahead of his country's Euro 2016 qualifier away to Israel on Sunday but has been diagnosed with a ruptured adductor in his right thigh - an injury that generally requires a recovery period of anything between two to six weeks.

Karaberg told the Bosnian FA's website: "The injury is very serious and requires some recovery time, which, unfortunately, is in conflict with the possibility of a rapid return to the field."

Safet Susic has already been shorn of Stuttgart striker Vedad Ibisevic, leaving him with no recognised spearheads in his squad, and the Bosnia coach has written off his side's hopes of securing all three points at the weekend,

"If Dzeko can't play we will be resigned to playing for a draw against Israel because we have no hope of winning without him," Susic told Bosnia’s FENA news agency.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Di Maria used to lose control, says Ancelotti

547601_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Nov 11, 2014 09:24:00

The Italian claims that the attacking midfielder often got his own team in trouble and has hailed Toni Kroos' fine performances this term

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has aimed a dig at Angel Di Maria in the wake of the Argentina international's move to Manchester United in the summer.

The 26-year-old played a key role in Madrid's successful Champions League campaign last term and his €75 million sale to Louis van Gaal's side initially caused deep frustration around the Santiago Bernabeu.

Ancelotti, however, has claimed the Argentina international could often upset the rhythm of his side by losing the ball - though he has warned James Rodriguez should not be seen as a replacement for Di Maria's role.

"Di Maria could take matches by storm with his energy, but he also used to lose control sometimes, misplacing important passes," Ancelotti told Onda Cero.

"People should think twice before saying that James can fill Di Maria's boots, because they're very different players."

The Madrid boss then went on to praise Toni Kroos and stressed that the Germany international is the perfect replacement for Xabi Alonso.

"Kroos is another 'professor'. He has aced his crash course in replacing Xabi Alonso," said the Italian.

"I've been surprised by the fact that he never gets on edge. He always plays the same way, whatever the pressure. He's very important: a lot of our play goes through him.

"What's more, he's still very young. He plays at pace, always picks the right pass, doesn't lose the ball and wins back possession."

Kroos has made 18 appearances for Madrid in all competitions so far this season, scoring once in the process.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fellaini: I was a scapegoat at Manchester United last season

454516_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Nov 11, 2014 07:50:00

The Belgium international readily admitted he endured a tough debut campaign at Old Trafford but insists he never wanted to leave following his move from Everton

Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini says he was made to feel like a scapegoat for last season's disappointing campaign under David Moyes.

The Belgium international was brought to Old Trafford by the Scot in a €32 million deal but struggled to make any impact at the club during his first season.

The Red Devils eventually finished the season in seventh place, with Moyes sacked in April and, when asked if he had been made a scapegoat for the campaign, Fellaini agreed.

"Yes, a little bit. That is a difficult question. It is difficult to answer that," he told reporters.

"I agree last season was tough. There was a new manager and it was difficult for all the players but we have another new manager now with a new philosophy and we have to work hard."

Fellaini insisted he never wanted to leave the club, despite heavy speculation linked him with an Old Trafford exit during the summer.

"No. It was all speculation. In football it is like this. That's what happens, there is always speculation," he added.

"But I signed for Manchester United for four years and the manager never said to me that I had to go so I worked for my place and that was it.

"I didn't lose faith in myself. In football you have to be strong in the head. The mentality is important and I do have this quality so I can keep going."

The midfielder has been impressive in recent weeks, scoring against West Brom, and he is confident he can improve even futher under Moyes' successor Louis van Gaal.

"Last season was a difficult season for me. I am fit now and that is why I am better," he said.

"When I am super fit I will be better I am sure. I was injured earlier this season [an ankle]. It was a bad injury but now I am better and I can look forward."

"At the moment the manager is using me as a box-to-box player and I am trying to score a goal," he said, though he is content to operate elsewhere as in Saturday's 1-0 win over Crystal Palace.

"When you are playing you are always happy. So I am happy at the moment."

Marouane Fellaini was speaking at the screening of 'Hungry to Win', a Japanese animation created by Nissin, Manchester United's Official Global Noodle Partner.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Naughton has red-card appeal dismissed

587301_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Nov 11, 2014 18:55:00

The Spurs full-back was sent off for hauling down Stoke City forward Victor Moses late in the game at White Hart Lane on Sunday and will serve a two-match suspension

The Football Association has dismissed Kyle Naughton's appeal against his red card during Tottenham's defeat to Stoke City on Sunday.

The Spurs full-back was shown a straight red card five minutes from time at White Hart Lane as the hosts threatened to add a third goal, Nacer Chadli having brought the scoreline back to 2-1 a few minutes previously.

Naughton hauled down Victor Moses when the Stoke man was through on goal, an offence for which the FA agreed that referee Mike Jones's punishment was justified.

A statement from the FA confirmed that "Naughton will serve a two-match suspension with immediate effect as it was his second dismissal of the season".

The 24-year-old defender will now miss Tottenham's Premier League clashes with Hull City and Everton after the international break.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Adebayor: I never criticised the Tottenham fans

587631_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Nov 11, 2014 21:21:00

The striker said he prefers playing away from home as the supporters create a bad atmosphere, but now insists he was not lashing out and instead hopes for a more positive mood

Emmanuel Adebayor has denied criticising Tottenham fans for a perceived lack of support during the club's recent poor run of form.

Following Sunday's 2-1 home defeat to Stoke City, Adebayor claimed that Spurs players currently prefer playing away due to the White Hart Lane faithful turning on them if the match is not going their way.

"It's kind of hard when you know the first bad ball you make the fans are going to boo you," the striker commented on Monday.

"When you are playing in front of your own crowd you want them to support you. But now it is like going through a sad moment and your family not welcoming you home."

However, Adebayor took to Twitter on Tuesday to insist he was simply suggesting that Tottenham would perform better if they received encouragement from their fans.

"I would like to clarify some recent reports in the newspapers. I have NEVER criticised Tottenham fans," he wrote. I just merely suggested that it would be more positive if they got behind the team more.

"I love the club as do all the players in the dressing room. We would all do anything to make this team win but like most people we respond better to praise than criticism. We will get this right and we will improve."

Tottenham have won just two of their last nine Premier League games and sit 12th in the table.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Everton hope Barry out for ‘weeks rather than months’

580241_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Nov 12, 2014 00:24:00

The club are confident the midfielder's injury is not as severe as first feared but have confirmed he has suffered ankle ligament damage that will require further assessment

Everton are hopeful midfielder Gareth Barry will only be sidelined for “weeks rather than months” after he was stretchered off in Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Sunderland.

The 33-year-old was forced off after just 13 minutes at the Stadium of Light after a tackle from Jordi Gomez, with the club initially fearing he may have broken his leg.

Manager Roberto Martinez revealed after the game that Barry had not suffered a break but the club have now confirmed the midfielder is set for some time out of action.

“Gareth Barry is continuing to be assessed after being carried off on a stretcher at Sunderland on Sunday,” a statement on the club’s website read.

“The Blues midfielder was taken straight to hospital in the north east where subsequent x-rays thankfully showed that there was no break.

“His ankle is still very swollen, which complicates assessment, but the Everton medical staff have confirmed that there is ligament damage in the area.

“The player’s treatment at Finch Farm is ongoing and although it is too early to estimate a length of absence, it is hopeful the time out will be weeks rather than months.”

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Swansea lose defender Fernandez for three weeks

597011_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Nov 14, 2014 10:39:00

The former Napoli centre-back, who has started six Premier League games since his summer move, will miss his side's clash with Manchester City after the international break

Swansea City defender Federico Fernandez has been ruled out for up to three weeks with a calf injury, the club have confirmed.

The Argentine missed his side's 2-1 win over Arsenal on Sunday and will be out for at least the rest of November but, in some good news for Garry Monk's men, Wayne Routledge and Nathan Dyer are set to return to training before the end of the international break.

Swansea drew 0-0 in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Cardiff City on Thursday and Monk was pleased to offer some recently marginalised players match action.

"It was a good chance to give a few players some minutes," he told the club's official website.

"It was important for the likes of Leon [Britton], Jordi [Amat] and Dwight [Tiendalli], who are coming back from injury, and also for some of the boys who haven't played as many minutes recently.

"During the international breaks, it's nice for the players that remain here to have a focus at the end of a week's training."

Swansea get back in competitive action with a trip to Manchester City in the Premier League on November 22.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

QPR and Sunderland hit by FA charges

596441_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Nov 14, 2014 00:26:00

The Rs were angry with Mike Dean's decision to rule out two Charlie Austin goals in quick succession while Everton's penalty in the North East caused issues for the Black Cats

The Football Association has charged QPR and Sunderland for failing to control their players during their respective matches against Manchester City and Everton.

The incident involving the Rs came during the early stages of the clash with the Premier League champions as QPR had two efforts disallowed by referee Mike Dean before City came from behind twice to claim a draw.

Charlie Austin's header was ruled out for offside after eight minutes and the striker was denied another goal in unusual circumstances soon after.

City goalkeeper Joe Hart touched the ball twice when taking a free-kick, meaning it had to be retaken after Austin had fired home.

A number of QPR players surrounded Dean following the two disallowed goals and the FA has decided to take action.

"Queens Park Rangers have been charged by The FA following their game against Manchester City on 8 November 2014," read a statement from the organisation.

"It is alleged that in or around the eighth minute of the fixture, the club failed to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion."

Sunderland's charge relates to the reaction of their players to referee Lee Mason's decision to award a penalty for the visitors after Seamus Coleman went down under a challenge from Connor Wickham.

The Black Cats' players surrounded referee Mason as they claimed Wickham had won the ball as he slid in on the Republic of Ireland right-back.

Leighton Baines scored the resulting spot-kick to ensure Roberto Martinez's side salvaged a 1-1 draw at the Stadium of Light.

A statement on the FA's official website said: "Sunderland have been charged by The FA following their game against Everton on 9 November 2014.

"It is alleged that in or around the 76th minute of the game, the club failed to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion."

Both teams have until November 17 to respond to their charges.

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Pochettino is not the problem' - Lloris backs under-fire Tottenham boss

462619_heroa.jpg

By Ewan Roberts
Nov 14, 2014 11:03:00

The France captain does not believe that the former Southampton manager should take the blame for Spurs' current slump, claiming that his team-mates are "too comfortable"

Hugo Lloris says that Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is not to blame for the club's poor form and fears that their current crop of players do not have the stomach for a relegation fight.

Spurs were beaten 2-1 at home to Stoke City last time out, their fourth defeat at White Hart Lane this season, and sit in 12th place in the Premier League table after a string of unimpressive results.

Pressure is mounting on Pochettino as a result, though Lloris, named a vice-captain by the Argentine, has faith in his new manager to cure the malaise and believes that the root of Tottenham's problems lies with the "comfortable" players.

When asked if he regretted extending his stay at Spurs due to the club's poor form, he told L'Equipe: "No, not at all, because I trust the staff and the coach.

"When it's the third coach in one year and there are problems, the coach is not necessarily the problem. We've been working though, trying to find solutions.

"I've known times like this at Lyon but, there, there was a real pressure every day and there was crisis management. In London, we're a bit more on our own, comfortable. We have to get out [of this comfort] because, if we ever have to fight against relegation, being comfortable won't help us.

"It really bothers me [that the coach is being blamed]."

Lloris signed a new five-year contract extension with Tottenham in July and has been ever-present in the club's disappointing Premier League campaign, conceding 16 goals in 11 games.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Origi clarifies Liverpool comments

14 November 2014

726325header.jpg

Divock Origi has clarified his comments regarding the possibility of cutting his loan spell at Lille short and joining up with Liverpool.

The Belgium international signed for the Merseyside club from Lille in the close-season, but remained at the Ligue 1 outfit on loan for the 2014-15 campaign as part of the deal.

Earlier on Friday, quotes attributed to Origi surfaced stating that he would be open to moving to Liverpool in January, should both clubs agree.

The 19-year-old striker later took to his official Twitter account to make his position clear.

"Hi guys, I just wanted to clarify after today's press reports that I will continue to give my all and 100 per cent for Lille over the coming months," he wrote.

"I am very much looking forward to joining Liverpool from next season."

Origi has scored four goals for the Ligue 1 side in all competitions this season.