• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ferdinand plans to retire at end of season

505861_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Oct 24, 2014 19:30:00

The former Manchester United and England defender, who joined Queens Park Rangers in the summer, has revealed that he could hang up his boots at the end of this campaign

QPR defender and former England captain Rio Ferdinand has revealed that he is likely to retire at the end of the season.

The veteran centre-back, who turns 36 next month, moved to Loftus Road in the summer after 12 trophy-laden years with Manchester United.

However, Ferdinand has now admitted that this campaign - his only at QPR - is likely to be his last.

"I probably think the end of this season," Ferdinand said when asked about retirement on the Jonathan Ross Show.

"I'm not fearful of retirement, I'm looking forward to it, I can see some good stuff hopefully happening ahead.

"You get to a time where you start understanding your body and the strains playing football [is] putting your body through, going out and training every day."

Ferdinand made his professional debut for West Ham in May 1996 and spent four years at Upton Park before moving to Leeds United.

He subsequently switched to Old Trafford in July 2002 for a then British-record fee reported to be in the region of €39 million.

During his time at United he won six Premier League titles, the FA Cup, two League Cups and the Champions League.

While his playing time is drawing to an end, Ferdinand intends to continue working in football.

"I've done it for so many years, it's what I love," he added. "I'm doing my [coaching] badges as well and there are other bits and pieces outside of football."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lambert: Villa have option to sign Cleverley

464519_heroa.jpg

By Patric Ridge
Oct 24, 2014 20:37:00

The Manchester United midfielder joined the club on loan in the summer transfer window and has started the last five Premier League games, impressing his manager in the process

Paul Lambert has revealed that Aston Villa have the option to sign on-loan Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley in January.

Cleverley has started Villa's last five Premier League matches after sealing a temporary switch to Villa Park in the summer transfer window.

And Lambert has confirmed that the 25-year-old, who is out of contract at United at the end of the season, could well secure a permanent move to Villa Park in January.

"We have an option on Tom. We have not gone into great detail but he has played well," Lambert said on Friday.

"He was the one lad who was busy on Saturday [in Villa's 3-0 loss at Everton]. He has so much to offer. He's a good guy, a good pro and does everything [at a] high tempo, even when he trains.

"Whatever happens in January will happen, the option is there but we still have a couple of months to go.

"I just want him to play well here and enjoy it and that's what he is doing, which is half the battle. It's not been an easy start playing at a new club but come January we will see."

Villa have now suffered a four-game losing streak after an impressive start to the campaign.

However, Lambert, who will check on the fitness of defenders Philippe Senderos and Nathan Baker in the coming days, is optimistic that his side will end their dismal run against QPR on Monday.

"The squad have had a good week. They deserved it [the loss] on Saturday and we need to make sure it does not happen again," the Scot added.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Persie's goal celebration was 'stupid', says Van Gaal

516591_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Oct 27, 2014 10:22:00

The Dutch striker scored in the dying seconds of stoppage time on Sunday to rescue Manchester United a point against Chelsea but was booked for taking off his shirt

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says that Robin van Persie's goal celebration against Chelsea on Sunday was "stupid".

The Dutch striker rescued a point for the Red Devils at the death at Old Trafford, cancelling out Didier Drogba's opener with seconds left in stoppage time.

An elated Van Persie quickly removed his shirt in jubilation and was duly shown a yellow card by referee Phil Dowd, a needless caution which frustrated his boss.

"It was a stupid reaction after the goal," Van Gaal told the press.

"I can see he was excited but after he was booked, it was not so smart."

Van Persie's goal was his third of the season for his club in his eighth game and brought the Red Devils up to 13 points, three behind fourth-placed West Ham.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Purslow joins Chelsea as global commercial chief

518821_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Oct 27, 2014 12:32:00

The 50-year-old oversaw Liverpool's €380 million sale to Fenway Sports Group in 2010 and takes up his post at Stamford Bridge with immediate effect

Chelsea have announced that former Liverpool managing director Christian Purslow has joined the club to run their global commercial activities.

The 50-year-old joined Liverpool in June 2009 but stepped down from his role as managing director 16 months later after overseeing the club’s €380 million sale to Fenway Sports Group.

Chelsea have also reiterated that chairman Bruce Buck and director Marina Granovskaia have assumed additional executive responsibilities following the departure of Ron Gourlay last Wednesday.

A statement from Chelsea, read: “The club has ambitious plans to build the Premier League's most pioneering global commercial programme, partnering with innovative and market-leading organisations from around the world.

“The club believes Mr Purslow has the vision and the leadership qualities to help us achieve these plans.

“Chelsea does not expect to announce any other senior appointments in the near future. As announced last week, Chairman Bruce Buck and Director Marina Granovskaia have assumed the executive responsibilities held by our former chief executive.”

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

'One step forward, two steps back' for Manchester United this season - Ferguson

455968_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Oct 26, 2014 22:49:00

The legendary former Red Devils boss has been concerned by some of his old side's defending this season but is convinced that Louis van Gaal is "absolutely" the right manager

Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson feels that the club have perhaps gone "one step forward, two steps back" this season but is convinced that Louis van Gaal is the man to lead them to success.

After the disastrous tenure of David Moyes last term, the Dutchman has endured a testing start to life at Old Trafford as he seeks to rebuild but secured a late draw with Premier League leaders Chelsea on Sunday.

Asked while promoting his updated autobiography at the Theatre Royal in London if he had faith in Van Gaal, Ferguson replied: "Absolutely. He's the right man for that job.

"It's a little bit one step forward, two steps back," the Scot, who stepped down in 2013, added of United's season so far. "[It's] looking at times like we are fragile at the back."

Ferguson took the opportunity to claim that he had not been as closely involved in the hiring of Moyes last summer as had been widely believed.

While insisting that the notion that he had left his successor with an old and past-it squad upon his retirement was "an insult", the 72-year-old declared that "my only advice to David was 'keep Mike Phelan'," a suggestion that went unheeded.

The Champions League-winning boss was also asked about some of his best signings, recalling how he had to fight to recruit a teenaged Cristiano Ronaldo from Sporting Lisbon but denying that the Portuguese superstar was his most important addition to the club.

"Real Madrid and Arsenal were in for him too," Ferguson recalled of Ronaldo. "I said we weren't leaving until he was on the plane.

"The best signing was Carrington," he remarked. "The training ground will be there for 100 years."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Parish cools Palace take-over talk

Crystal Palace's Steve Parish has denied a takeover of the Eagles is imminent - but admitted to being open to the possibility of a change of ownership.

453703754.jpg

Monday 27th October 2014

It has been reported that American billionaire Josh Harris has begun talks to take control of the Barclays Premier League club, with a deal close.

Parish, though, insists those suggesting a deal is imminent are jumping the gun.

He told the Croydon Guardian: "There are always people who want to buy football clubs.

"Sometimes people approach you and it gets out, sometimes people approach you and it doesn't, but there is no imminent takeover.

"We are talking to a number of people on a number of fronts.

"I've always said that if somebody wanted to invest in the club and move it forward quicker than I or we (CPFC 2010) can then we would entertain it.

"We look at all possibilities that are out there - and there are many - but people have been quite ahead of themselves on this one."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Jones out with shin splints

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has revealed Red Devils defender Phil Jones missed Sunday's 1-1 Barclays Premier League home draw with Chelsea due to shin splints.

Phil%20Jones%20of%20Manchester%20United%20tackles%20Jefferson%20Montero%20of%20Swansea%20City%20during%20the%20Barclays%20Premier%20League%20match%20between%20Manchester%20United%20and%20Swansea.jpg

Monday 27th October 2014

England international Jones made his United comeback after four games out with a hamstring injury in the 2-2 draw at West Brom on Monday.

But after the 22-year-old was absent again for the Old Trafford clash with the Blues, Van Gaal gave an update on Jones' condition and said he did not know how long his latest setback would keep him sidelined for.

"The match against West Brom was his first after a long injury period," Van Gaal said.

"We brought him back and he trained for more than a week with the first team, then had to play 90 minutes.

"Then he had a sore feeling in his shin. On Saturday he could not continue training, even though it was a very light session before the match.

"He had shin splints, which is very painful. I don't know how long it will take (for him to recover)."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Costa row continues as Spain doctor refutes Mourinho claims

530611_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Oct 30, 2014 09:43:00

The Chelsea manager claimed the striker's lack of involvement since international duty was down to the way he was handled by the national side, which Juan Jose Garcia Cota denies

Diego Costa's club versus country row rumbles on after Spain's team doctor insisted the Chelsea striker did not pick up a fresh injury on international duty.

The 25-year-old striker has scored nine goals in seven Premier League games since arriving during the summer, but has been blighted by a persistent hamstring injury.

That issue, combined with a virus, means he has not featured for Chelsea since playing in Spain's Euro 2016 qualifiers against Slovakia and Luxembourg earlier this month.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho laid the blame for Costa's current absence on his involvement with Vicente del Bosque's side, but Spain team doctor Juan Jose Garcia Cota has refuted those claims.

"This time he [Costa] didn't say anything about the hamstring," Cota told IBTimes UK. "When Costa arrived to the international team he said to us he had a minor hassle in the groin but that it was nothing important.

"He probably had played with it before for Chelsea and he didn't complain any more about it during the international duty.

"He was treated by the physios [like every other player] and didn't have any limitations when doing exercises.

"I wouldn't even say it was an injury or a problem. It was a very minor hassle that is very common in every professional footballer. He didn't even ask for treatment and didn't require a scan or anything similar."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sturridge: My recurring injuries could be hereditary

529671_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Oct 30, 2014 08:11:00

The Liverpool forward admits that his family have always suffered with muscle problems while he also hopes to strike up a partnership with Mario Balotelli when he regains fitness

Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge fears that the injuries which have ruled him out of much of the season could be hereditary.

The former Chelsea man has not made an appearance since England's friendly against Norway in early September, having suffered from thigh and calf problems, and believes that injuries suffered by his family - including his uncle, former Derby County striker Dean Sturridge - could be linked to the issues that he has faced in recent years.

"I play my game as best I can but I've been unfortunate this season," he told talkSPORT.

"Maybe it's my body type, maybe it's hereditary. Both my uncles had injuries and my dad had them as well.

"Maybe it's the Caribbean vibes, maybe I have speed but maybe it makes you more vulnerable because of the fast twitch muscles and the speed at which you're moving.

"I am vulnerable to muscle injuries. As long as I continue to work hard, everything will take care of itself."

Sturridge's absence has led to Mario Balotelli leading the line for Brendan Rodgers's team but the Italian has come under fire, having only netted twice since his arrival from AC Milan in August.

The former Manchester City duo have only been paired together once due to Sturridge's injuries, a game in which the Reds beat Tottenham 3-0, but the 25-year-old is hopeful their relationship off the field will translate to the pitch when he regains his fitness.

"We get on well off the field and in the changing rooms. We're always laughing and joking," said the England star.

"It's not hugely important to be friends to have a great relationship with somebody and, if you're not friends, you can still have a great partnership but you can also be friends and have a great partnership.

"Once I get back fit, I'm hoping we can strike up a partnership. Last season with Luis [Suarez] we had a great relationship up front and scored a lot of goals. Hopefully this season it will be the same."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monk to face no action over Moses 'cheat' comments

527911_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Oct 29, 2014 21:12:00

The Swans boss believed Michael Oliver wrongly awarded a penalty against his side at the Britannia Stadium but will not be punished for his outspoken views

Swansea City manager Garry Monk will face no action after he called Victor Moses a "cheat" following a recent clash with Stoke City.

Monk accused Stoke winger Moses of diving to win a penalty in a 2-1 Premier League defeat at the Britannia Stadium on October 19, a remark that drew the ire of opposite number Mark Hughes.

The Football Association (FA) announced in the aftermath that they had contacted Monk in order to "seek his observations" over the comments, but have now drawn a line under the matter according to Swansea.

"The FA has reminded the Swansea manager about his responsibilities regarding media comments," read a statement on the club's website.

The Moses incident was a tipping point for Monk, who felt that Swansea had been on the receiving end of a number of poor refereeing decisions since the start of the season.

The 35-year-old is reportedly set to meet referees' chief Mike Riley on Friday to discuss the matter and will have yet more to talk about following Swansea's controversial elimination from the League Cup at the hands of Liverpool on Tuesday.

Having seen Mario Balotelli come off the bench to cancel out Marvin Emnes' earlier opener, Swansea had Federico Fernandez sent off in stoppage time for what looked like a perfectly legal challenge on Philippe Coutinho.

Dejan Lovren scored a last-gasp winner to send Swansea out of the competition they won in 2013 and the Welsh club have since appealed the dismissal.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Song: I don't want to go back to Barcelona

513651_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Oct 29, 2014 15:37:00

The Cameroon international has admitted that he wants to remain in the Premier League when his season-long loan at Upton Park expires next summer

On-loan Barcelona midfielder Alex Song is planning to stay in England for the foreseeable future after an impressive start to his West Ham career.

Hammers boss Sam Allardyce brought the Cameroon international to Upton Park this summer, after the midfielder was deemed surplus to requirements by new Blaugrana boss Luis Enrique.

The former Arsenal midfielder has looked assured in a West Ham side that climbed to fourth in the Premier League table after a superb victory over champions Manchester City on Saturday.

Song was awarded man of the match for his display against City and the 27-year-old is reportedly attracting interest from several suitors over a permanent move.

And whatever he decides to do next, Song has stated his desire to remain in England when his loan deal expires at the end of the current campaign.

"I think my future will be here [in England]," he told Sky Sports. "My family, everyone is happy here. I'm very happy to come back to England.

"I've always said if I move from Barcelona, I'll come to England and my future is here anyway.

"I just want to enjoy playing at the moment and we'll see what is happening at the end of the season."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Domenech mocks ‘translator’ Mourinho

522461_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Oct 29, 2014 14:52:00

In his new book, the 62-year-old has accused the Portuguese of having a big ego, as well as criticising Nicolas Anelka, Franck Ribery and Zinedine Zidane

Former France boss Raymond Domenech has called Jose Mourinho “a translator” and suggests the Chelsea manager has an inflated opinion of himself.

Speaking in his new book Mon dico passione du foot, which translates to ‘My Passionate Football Dictionary’, the 62-year-old also criticised Nicolas Anelka, Franck Ribery and Zinedine Zidane.

"That's the problem with translators,” Domenech said when referring to Mourinho. “There comes a time when they convince themselves they wrote the text themselves.”

In August 2006, Mourinho accused Domenech of treating Claude Makelele “like a slave” after the former Chelsea midfielder was selected for a Euro 2008 qualification match, despite his plans to retire from international football after the World Cup earlier that summer.

Anelka, who was sent home at the 2010 World Cup after a bust-up with Domenech, was described by the former France coach as a "Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde" character.

Domenech was also critical of Ribery’s attitude at the World Cup in South Africa in which France finished bottom of Group A after a draw and two defeats.

“[He] forced the national team to put up with his bad character, even his acts of stupidity, in South Africa and afterwards,” Domenech said of Ribery. “But since then, Sir is in a mood because he wanted to win the Ballon d'Or.”

Zinedine Zidane was accused by Domenech of being selfish after head-butting Marco Materazzi during the 2006 World Cup final.

Domenech believes the former Real Madrid and Juventus midfielder "sacrificed the team's chances for the benefit of his pride”, and pointed out that Thierry Henry "sacrificed his image for the benefit of the France team" after his handball against Republic of Ireland in a World Cup play-off in 2009.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Eto'o is a 'gift from the footballing gods' - Martinez

518231_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Oct 30, 2014 11:59:00

The striker has scored three goals in five Premier League games since joining from Chelsea on a free and his manager is delighted with his impact on and off the field

Roberto Martinez says Samuel Eto'o is a "gift from the footballing gods" for Everton after impressing both on and off the pitch.

The striker Eto'o signed a two-year deal at Goodison Park in August after his release from Chelsea, and has scored three goals in five Premier League appearances for the Merseyside club.

His superb double against Burnley last weekend secured a 3-1 win for Martinez's side, and the Spaniard has been delighted with the 33-year-old's impact.

"To have Eto'o is like a gift from the footballing gods," Martinez told reporters. "He is the perfect ingredient for our young players, the way he has been training has been of pristine professionalism.

"He is a player of the highest calibre, I am really excited to see how he can adapt into the second half of the season.

"Samuel feels excited and really stimulated to show everyone what he can do. He's enjoying his football and he does it in style.

"He comes in every day with really high standards, he always wants to do more and he is a big influence in that way."

Everton face Martinez's former club Swansea City at Goodison Park this weekend.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hughes: Bojan still part of my plans

Mark Hughes insists Bojan Krkic has a big part to play for Stoke this season.

454087870.jpg

Thursday 30th October 2014

The signing of the former Barcelona forward in the summer attracted plenty of attention but he has quickly become a peripheral figure.

Bojan's appearance in the Capital One Cup fourth-round tie against Southampton on Wednesday night was his first for nearly a month, and just his third start.

The 24-year-old saw plenty of the ball in the 3-2 defeat but his end product was disappointing and he was substituted with 17 minutes remaining.

Potters boss Hughes said: "I thought he did okay, up to a point.

"It's clear when he's got time and space that he's technically a very clever player and one that will do really well for us.

"It's a little bit hard at the moment because the physicality, going up against good Premier League teams, is difficult and it's not what he's been used to.

"But he'll get used to it very quickly, I just need to give him game time, and that was the opportunity, just to get him back in the team and see how he did.

"In the end, 20 minutes to go, we needed to chase the game so I brought Peter (Crouch) on."

Hughes dismissed suggestions Bojan - who has also played for Roma, AC Milan and Ajax - has been slow adjusting to English football, saying: "We all felt it would take him time.

"It invariably does when players come from different leagues and different styles of play. It's a long old season, as we all know, and he'll get better and he'll have an impact on us without a shadow of a doubt."

In a hectic finish to the game, it was Southampton who earned a quarter-final trip to Sheffield United with a 3-2 victory.

Graziano Pelle and Shane Long put them two up at half-time but Steven Nzonzi quickly got one back and extra-time looked on the cards when Mame Biram Diouf headed an equaliser in the 82nd minute.

However, Crouch picked up two yellow cards in the space of a minute and from the free-kick given for his foul on Steven Davis, Pelle pounced to net the winner.

That took the Italian to nine goals in his first season in English football and earned Saints a ninth win from 10 games.

Boss Ronald Koeman felt it was fully merited, saying: "In the first half we scored two great goals and were much the better team on the pitch.

"They showed more character after half-time, real fight, but we created three big chances for the third and didn't take them.

"They were physical and brought Crouch in, and it's difficult to defend. It's not the way I like to play but that's Stoke.

"Maybe after the red card for Crouch we were a little lucky but we deserved to win, we had more chances than Stoke.

"Even after the disappointment of going to 2-2, the feeling was positive on the bench. I had the possibility to change players and I was confident if it went to extra time."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Redknapp leaps to Ferdinand defence

Harry Redknapp has launched a staunch defence of Rio Ferdinand, labelling the QPR defender a "top-class person" despite his three-match FA ban.

Rio%20Ferdinand%20of%20QPR%20brings%20the%20ball%20out%20of%20defence%20during%20the%20Barclays%20Premier%20League%20match%20between%20Queens%20Park%20Rangers%20and%20Hull%20City.jpg

Thursday 30th October 2014

The Rangers boss hailed Ferdinand's character, in spite of the former England defender being banned and fined £25,000 for comments made on social network Twitter.

The ex-Manchester United centre-back was "severely warned as to his future conduct" after the FA dished out the punishment on Wednesday, relating to an alleged sexist tweet.

Ferdinand is understood to have used the slang term "sket", taken to mean a promiscuous woman, in response to a derogatory message received on Twitter.

While Redknapp said the club are still weighing up whether to appeal, the Rangers manager believes there is no need to talk to Ferdinand about his conduct.

"We've not seen the FA report yet so we really can't comment," said the former Tottenham boss.

"We're not sure exactly what he's done and what the charge is and what the reasons are behind it.

"So until we see that, I've not seen it, we're not in a position to comment on it.

"I've not spoken to Phil (Rangers CEO Philip Beard), the chairman or Rio about it.

"We'll have to sit down and see what the circumstances are (for an appeal).

"I don't know much about it."

Backing Ferdinand's behaviour, Redknapp admitted it would be a blow to lose the experienced defender for three matches.

"Well he does know how to behave off the pitch, I've not had many footballers behave better off the pitch than Rio, on the pitch and off the pitch," said Redknapp.

"I don't have any problems with the way Rio conducts himself.

"I haven't met many classier footballers in my time than Rio Ferdinand, he's a top-class person.

"I don't need to talk to him about it, not really.

"I don't read Twitter, I don't even know what it is, I wouldn't know how to read it and it doesn't interest me one little bit.

"We're not overloaded with fit defenders, so I want Rio available for every game, that's for sure."

Redknapp refused to rule playmaker Adel Taarabt out of contention for Saturday's Barclays Premier League trip to Chelsea.

The Rangers boss said he pulled the Morocco forward out of reserve team action on Tuesday, preferring to put him to work in full squad training instead.

Redknapp said Taarabt vowed to fight for full fitness in a training-ground chat on Monday, following the pair's drawn-out public spat over the 25-year-old's condition.

"He came to see me on Monday and we had a great chat," said Redknapp.

"He admitted he needed to get fitter: he wants to get fit, wants to play, wants to get back in the team, and that's all I needed to hear from him.

"I felt having spoken to him I didn't want to stick him into the reserves as the only senior player amongst the kids, because Sean (Wright-Phillips) wasn't going to play.

"So instead he came out and worked, and worked very, very hard with the first-team group, he put in a real shift.

"I'm delighted with the way he's trained, his attitude and I was pleased with the chat we had.

"He held his hand up and said 'I do want to play and I can get fitter, and I want to get back in the team'.

"If it turns him round and he comes back, shows everyone what he can do, then it will be great.

"He's got fantastic ability, and it would be one the great crimes in football if he doesn't realise that.

"I wouldn't hesitate to put him in the squad (to play Chelsea), he's trained well."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sunderland handed Fletcher injury boost

465477_heroa.jpg

By Tony Kelshaw
Nov 1, 2014 00:04:00

The Scotland striker limped off in the second half against Arsenal last weekend but will be fit to face Crystal Palace as Gus Poyet's side look to get back on track

Steven Fletcher has been given the all-clear to feature for Sunderland in Monday's Premier League clash against Crystal Palace.

The Scotland striker limped off after 50 minutes of last Saturday's 2-0 home loss to Arsenal, but has since shaken off the effects of that knock.

Sunderland head coach Gus Poyet confirmed: "Steven is perfect, there is no problem now. He has completely recovered and trained for the last two days."

Emanuele Giaccherini, Ricky Alvarez, Billy Jones and Sebastian Coates will all still be missing, though, as Sunderland look to recover from two straight defeats.

Poyet's side suffered an embarrassing 8-0 thrashing in their most recent away game at Southampton and the Uruguayan urged his men to cut out their frequent defensive errors.

"We have been working hard and, especially, going back to basics - making sure we are a difficult team to play against," added Poyet.

"We must try to avoid bad, bad mistakes. We need to get rid of all that and get back to the team we were for the first seven games.

"I think we were close to that against Arsenal but then came the bad errors which cost us again. However, that's football - even Lionel Messi can miss a penalty."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United in AC Milan friendly talks

516561_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Oct 31, 2014 21:06:00

Neither team has qualified for European competition this season, and with Louis van Gaal backing the idea, the two sides could well meet at some point before the campaign is out

Manchester United are in talks with AC Milan regarding the possibility of a mid-season friendly match.

Louis van Gaal has previously given his backing to the idea of playing high-profile midweek matches due to his sides lack of European football this season, saying: " I fully agree. I like to play midweek games against high-level opponents."

And Milan, who like the Red Devils failed to qualify for either the Champions League or Europa League this term, have been revealed as a possible opponent for the Red Devils.

Speaking to the Press Association, Milan director Umberto Gandini said: "This is something we have been talking about for a few weeks and we have a committed interest to do something together."

"It's just a question to find the right date and then to find the right place."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: Falcao out, but Rooney plays v Manchester City

465008_heroa.jpg

By Jay Jaffa
Oct 31, 2014 16:00:00

The Colombia striker has failed to recover from the knock that ruled him out against Chelsea but the England captain will return to skipper the side at the Etihad Stadium

Louis van Gaal has revealed that Radamel Falcao will miss Sunday's Manchester derby through injury, though Wayne Rooney returns to the fold.

Rooney has sat out the Red Devils' last three matches after being sent-off against West Ham in September, and though he suffered a foot injury earlier in the week, will be fit to make his return to the starting XI.

But Falcao, who Goal revealed is set to join the Old Trafford outfit permanently for £44 million in the summer following his current one-year loan deal from Monaco, remains on the sidelines after picking up a knock in training.

Van Gaal told reporters: "Falcao is still injured. Rooney was never injured. He shall play, he is my captain. I think [Antonio] Valencia is fit again to play.

"He [Rooney] has scored a lot of goals against City, the most of any player. I am very happy that he can play, and he shall.

Along with Rooney, midfielder Marouane Fellaini is set to remain in the United team at the Etihad Stadium following some recent good performances.

The former Everton man scored after coming off the bench against West Brom before putting in another impressive showing against Chelsea as Van Gaal's side came from behind to claim a 1-1 draw.

And the ex-Bayern Munich boss revealed he has been pleased with the Belgium international's showings and is hopeful of him maintaining his current form.

"He has made a great contribution and also the assist for the [Chelsea] goal.

"He has had a lot of time out injured but when he is fit I have played him. He has to continue with that because then I am very pleased."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini confirms David Silva out for up to four weeks

527931_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Oct 31, 2014 12:45:00

The Spain international will miss Sunday's derby with Manchester United and is set for a spell on the sidelines with a knee ligament injury

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini says David Silva is out for three weeks with a knee ligament injury picked up against Newcastle in the League Cup.

The Spain international underwent a scan on Thursday after limping off after just nine minutes of the 2-0 defeat to Alan Pardew's side at the Etihad Stadium.

Silva will now miss some crucial games including Sunday's derby against Manchester United as well as the midweek Champions League clash against CSKA Moscow.

"David has a problem in his ligament," the City boss told reporters. "Maybe he will be out around three or four weeks so he will not be available for the derby.

"David is a very important player but we have a squad and we will have to replace him with another player."

However, there was better news for the reigning champions with Yaya Toure expected to be fit to face Manchester United despite being substituted against Newcastle after picking up a groin problem.

The Ivory Coast midfielder is still recovering from the knock, but Pellegrini believes "he will have no problems to play."

City have an excellent record against their local rivals having won the last three Premier League meetings but Pellegrini is expecting a difficult encounter on Sunday.

"On Sunday it will be City v United and last year was the same. It was not me v Moyes and this time it's not me v Van Gaal," he told reporters.

"For supporters it's a special game and we know that. We know what it means to win against Manchester United."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Costa available for Chelsea

31 October 2014

709485header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has confirmed striker Diego Costa is available to be selected for Saturday's home game against QPR.

Costa has not played for Chelsea since featuring in Spain's Euro 2016 qualifiers with Slovakia and Luxembourg earlier this month, due to a combination of a hamstring injury and a virus.

The 26-year-old is in line to feature against Harry Redknapp's men at Stamford Bridge, though, while midfielder Ramires is also available again after a muscular problem but Loic Remy and John Obi Mikel are sidelined.

"Costa is available, it's good news for us." Mourinho said. "It's been difficult for us having only one striker [Didier Drogba] available. When you have two the situation improves.

"We don't have Mikel, it's not good for us because he's always an option, but the fact we have Ramires back is a compensation for that loss. The situation is a bit better."

Mourinho previously laid the blame for Costa's absence on Spain's mismanagement of his persistent hamstring injury, a claim refuted by the national team doctor earlier this week.

With Spain set for another international double header later this month, Costa's fitness and availability for his country is sure to once again come under the microscope.

Mourinho stated he has no problem with any of his players representing their national teams, but feels Spain must do more to manage the well-being of Costa.

"The only thing I can say is what everybody knows, which is at the time he was having problems at Chelsea and the way we managed him he kept playing," he added.

"Then after the national team he wasn't available. Now he is available again but he needs obviously to be under special care and we are going to do that.

"I am always supportive of players playing for their country when players are in condition to do that and the players in the national team follow the same kind of programme to recover from the problems they have."