• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Baines injury not serious, say Everton

602031_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Scott
Nov 15, 2014 17:11:00

The England left-back was forced to withdraw from international duty due to a hamstring problem but the Toffees' medical staff confirm that it is only a minor strain

Everton have been boosted by the news that the hamstring injury which forced Leighton Baines to withdraw from England duty is not serious.

The left-back's return to his club has left Three Lions boss Roy Hodgson with just one recognised left-back - Arsenal's Kieran Gibbs - from which to choose for Saturday's Euro 2016 qualifier against Slovenia at Wembley.

Hodgson's Everton counterpart, Roberto Martinez, will have also been anxious to learn the severity of Baines's problem, with his other left-back options Bryan Oviedo - still regaining fitness after a broken leg - and Luke Garbutt, who has only one Premier League appearance under his belt.

Though Baines remains a doubt to return for Everton against West Ham after the international break, his participation has not been ruled out after suffering a grade-one strain - recoveries from which are typically measured in days rather than weeks and months.

An Everton statement confirmed: "Leighton Baines could be in contention to face West Ham next weekend after scans revealed the full-back’s hamstring injury is not as serious as first feared.

"The 29-year-old was forced to withdraw from the England squad [on Friday] after pulling up in training with the problem.

"He returned to Finch Farm for an assessment which has since showed that he has sustained a 'grade one' hamstring injury – the least significant on the scale of such injuries.

"Baines will continue to be monitored by Everton's medical team and, although he remains a doubt for next Saturday, he has not yet been ruled out of the game against Sam Allardyce's Hammers."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rojo: I went on strike to force Manchester United move

604741_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Nov 16, 2014 07:30:00

The Argentina international admits he got so angry he refused to train when it seemed as though the transfer would fall through until Juan Sebastian Veron changed his mind

Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo has revealed he went on strike at Sporting to help force through a move to Old Trafford.

Rojo joined United in a protracted €20 million deal before the transfer window closed in August, with out-of-favour winger Nani moving in the opposite direction on a season-long loan.

However, the transfer was in danger of collapsing amid third-party ownership problems between Sporting and Doyen Sports, who owned 75 per cent of the player's rights.

The dispute led to Rojo walking out on Sporting, before former United and Argentina international midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron stepped in and urged his countryman to return to work.

"It was a huge surprise when I was told United wanted to buy me," Rojo, currently sidelined with a dislocated shoulder, told reporters.

"I was in Portugal when my representative told me. He asked me to stay calm but I could not. I started living this dream.

"I could not think of anything else. I would call him every day, but when it seemed the transfer would not happen then I refused to work with Sporting.

"That was when Veron played his part in the process. He was like a strict father to me, scolding me.

"Veron called me one day when I had refused to train with Sporting and said 'Do not be stubborn. If Manchester United wants a player then they will not let you escape.'

"And so I went back... and the transfer went ahead."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Balotelli sustains hamstring injury

15 November 2014

727239header.jpg

Mario Balotelli has withdrawn from Italy's squad for their crucial Euro 2016 qualifier against Croatia due to a hamstring injury.

The Liverpool striker has returned to his club after sustaining a "hamstring strain" and "mild groin" pain in training on Friday, a statement released by the Italian Football Association (FIGC) on Saturday announced.

Balotelli, who had been recalled to the Azzurri squad for the first time since the World Cup, will therefore miss Sunday's top-of-the-table Group H qualifier with Croatia at San Siro, as well as Italy's friendly against Albania next Tuesday.

The news represents another blow in what has been a difficult season for the 24-year-old, who has scored just twice in 14 appearances since joining Liverpool from Milan in August.

Juventus defender Angelo Ogbonna has also been ruled out of Italy's upcoming matches with a hamstring problem of his own.

The FIGC confirmed that, while the former Torino man had shown some improvement in his condition, Italy's coaching staff decided it was best for him to sit the games out as a precaution.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Abeid suffers broken toe

16 November 2014

728347header.jpg

​Newcastle United's Mehdi Abeid is expected to be out for a month after sustaining a broken toe while on international duty with Algeria.

Abeid was called up to Christian Gourcuff's squad for the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers with Ethiopia and Malawi.

However, the midfielder was pictured on crutches prior to the 3-1 win over Ethiopia on Saturday and is now reportedly set to be on the sidelines for the next three to four weeks.

"It's a shame because I had a glimpse of his technical skills in training and I am confident that his contribution would have done us much good against Ethiopia," Gourcuff said in his post-match press conference.

Abeid has started in each of Newcastle's last three matches, which have resulted in wins over Manchester City, Liverpool and West Brom.

However, he now joins a lengthy Newcastle injury list, giving manager Alan Pardew another headache ahead of the visit of QPR next Saturday.

MeeSoupOzil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He has not been performing well for either club or country and looks out of sorts.

Balotelli sustains hamstring injury

15 November 2014

Mario Balotelli has withdrawn from Italy's squad for their crucial Euro 2016 qualifier against Croatia due to a hamstring injury.

The Liverpool striker has returned to his club after sustaining a "hamstring strain" and "mild groin" pain in training on Friday, a statement released by the Italian Football Association (FIGC) on Saturday announced.

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal are going through a difficult spell but I believe in Wenger - Pires

555861_heroa.jpg

Nov 17, 2014 12:27:00

The Gunners legend, who is currently playing in the Indian Super League with FC Goa, backs the veteran Frenchman to turn around the club's season after a dip in form

By Brendan Netto

Robert Pires believes that Arsenal fans should retain faith in Arsene Wenger despite the Gunners' indifferent start to the season.

The north Londoners sit sixth in the table after defeat to Swansea City and have scraped just four Premier League wins in 11 games so far this season, while qualification for the knockout stages of the Champions League is yet to be secured after Anderlecht came from three goals down to draw 3-3 at the Emirates Stadium.

But the Arsenal legend backs his compatriot to continue to build on his legacy at the club.

When asked if Wenger should step down, Pires told Goal: "For me, that’s a difficult question for me to answer because I love Arsenal and like Arsene Wenger.

"Wenger built this club over the past 18 seasons and the past should not be forgotten.

"I understand, at present, it's difficult for the team, I understand sometimes, but don't forget he has spent a lot of money on [Mesut] Ozil, [Alexis] Sanchez, [Danny] Welbeck and [Calum] Chambers. Sometimes you can buy very good players but the pitch is the history.

"I know it's difficult for Wenger at the moment but I have always believed in him, this team and the players."

Wenger has come in for criticism for failing to sign suitable defensive cover this summer but the Frenchman spent around €44 million on Alexis, whom Pires believes has been the Gunners' star player so far this season.

"When you talk about Arsenal, at the moment Alexis Sanchez in their best player because he has a lot of experience with Chile and also played at the World Cup," he enthused.

"He has also played for Barcelona, learning a lot at the highest level and is now at Arsenal. He is a great player and I hope for Arsenal that they win some titles this season."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham had to tell Redknapp where to play Bale - Comolli

489751_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Nov 17, 2014 19:20:00

The Frenchman says people at Spurs instructed the QPR boss to move the Welshman further up the pitch based on statistical analysis - a version of events the 67-year-old disputes

Tottenham had to tell Harry Redknapp to move Gareth Bale onto the wing at a time when he was pushing to sell the Welshman, according to then technical director Damien Comolli.

Bale endured a difficult start to his Spurs career as a left-back and it is widely believed that Redknapp was open to the possibility of selling the youngster to Birmingham City for a small fee in January 2010 - a version of events that the QPR boss has always disputed.

A subsequent shift up the left flank in the latter half of the 2009-10 season saw Bale's game develop rapidly and after three seasons of steadily improving performances, Real Madrid broke the world transfer record to bring him to Santiago Bernabeu in a €100m deal.

And Comolli, who worked as Tottenham's director of football until Redknapp's arrival in October 2008, insists Redknapp had to be convinced to move Bale further up the pitch by those at Spurs who had analysed the player's statistics.

"I’ve got to say, I’ve been working with data since 2005 or 2006 in terms of recruitment," he told Irish radio station Newstalk. "We did it at Spurs. We used data in terms of team selection.

"Spurs actually told Harry Redknapp where to play Gareth Bale, because he wanted to get rid of him.

"Data was showing Bale would be an outstanding left winger when they were playing him at left-back [because of his running and skill]."

Comolli also revealed that Spurs elected to sign Rafael van der Vaart over another unnamed player in August 2010 on the strength of the data garnered by the analytical department he set up at the club.

"Spurs have never come out publicly saying it, but I am saying it because I don’t work at the club anymore," the Frenchman added.

"Spurs had the choice between signing Van der Vaart and another player, and Daniel Levy said we are going for Van der Vaart because data is telling us to.

"I won’t mention the other player who did nothing after that but Van der Vaart had a great two or three years at Spurs."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger: Price in reported Podolski deal too low

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insists Lukas Podolski is "not for sale".

lp.jpg

Monday 17th November 2014

However, the German forward indicated he could look for first-team football elsewhere when the transfer window opens in January.

Podolski has yet to start a game for the Gunners in the Barclays Premier League this season, instead used as an impact player from the bench - as he was when he netted a dramatic last-minute winner in the Champions League away to Anderlecht.

Wenger, though, stressed the 29-year-old had to face up to the competition for places in the Arsenal frontline and rejected reports any cut-price deal was on the table, with the likes of Napoli said to be one of several interested clubs.

Speaking during an hour-long television interview with beIN Sports, Wenger said: "It is not established at all that he will leave at Christmas.

"It is me who sets the price and (the reported deal) doesn't correspond at all to his price. He is not for sale and there is no offer.

"Podolski plays a position where there is a big competition. He came very late from his holidays [after the World Cup in the summer], so he started after his team-mates and was not good physically."

Costa Rica forward Joel Campbell is another who has found first-team chances difficult come by with Arsenal this season.

However, Campbell issued a video on his personal website dismissing reports he was seeking a move away, having just retuned to the Emirates Stadium following a productive loan spell at Olympiacos.

"What they have been saying is not true, I'm very calm. I have not been furious," the 22-year-old said on www.sports.bycampbell.com.

"Obviously, yes, I would like to be playing, but that's something that has to be earned day by day. I have to keep training and waiting for the opportunity, I know it's a very competitive team.

"Arsenal is one of the best teams in the world where there are many important players. I have to be patient, keep training and I know my chance will arrive and I'll have to take advantage of it when it comes.

"[I've learned] a lot [from Arsene Wenger]. He is a coach who has many years in football and with Arsenal. I am learning from him and from my peers every day in training. I'm doing my best to be a better player every day."

While Arsenal have not been short of attacking options, with Chile forward Alexis Sanchez in fine form following a £30million summer move from Barcelona, the Gunners have been left brutally exposed at the back where their options have been hit by injuries to full-back Matheiu Debuchy and centre-half Laurent Koscielny.

Debuchy suffered an ankle injury against Manchester City in September but has started to step up his recovery, while Koscielny has been sidelined by a troublesome Achilles problem with no firm return target set.

"We are missing our defensive solidity at the moment, due to injuries," said Wenger, who sanctioned the sale of captain Thomas Vermaelen to Barcelona in August.

"We are paying the price for Debuchy's (injury), because (Calum) Chambers is a central defender.

"I think we have a very good balance between Koscielny and Mertesacker, so we are losing experience at the back at the moment."

German playmaker Mesut Ozil has also been out of action for several weeks after sustaining a knee injury in the defeat at Chelsea before the last international break, and is not expected to be available again until the start of 2015.

Wenger, though, is confident the former Real Madrid star, Arsenal's club-record signing, can still make a big impact this season.

"He will not be back until January. He came back from the World Cup with an injury," said Wenger.

"He had a very good first season with us. I think we will see the best of Ozil in the seasons to come."

Arsenal host Manchester United on Saturday aiming to recover from the 2-1 defeat at Swansea before the international break which left them in sixth place, now some 12 points behind leaders Chelsea.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sunderland fined £20,000 over Everton incident

17 November 2014

729749header.jpg

Sunderland have been fined £20,000 by the Football Association for the conduct of their players in the 1-1 Premier League draw with Everton.

The Stadium of Light outfit admitted the charge, which relates to the reaction to referee Lee Mason's decision to award a penalty for Everton after Seamus Coleman went down under a challenge from Connor Wickham.

Sunderland players surrounded Mason to argue Wickham had won the ball as he slid in on the Republic of Ireland right-back.

Leighton Baines scored the resulting spot-kick to ensure Roberto Martinez's side salvaged a point on Wearside earlier this month.

A statement from the FA read: "Sunderland have admitted an FA misconduct charge and accepted the standard penalty of £20,000 following their game against Everton on 9 November 2014.

"The club was charged for failing to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion in the 76th minute of the game."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

QPR accept FA charge over Austin disallowed goal

17 November 2014

729845header.jpg

​QPR have accepted a Football Association misconduct charge for failing to control their players during the 2-2 draw with Manchester City.

The London club have been fined £20,000 for the incident, which relates to their players' reaction to Charlie Austin's disallowed goal at Loftus Road on November 8.

Austin fired home from outside the penalty area in the eighth minute, only for referee Mike Dean to rule the effort out.

The official correctly ruled that Joe Hart had hit the ball with his standing foot before mis-kicking to Austin from a free-kick, and the goalkeeper's failure to kick the ball directly out of his area meant a re-take was necessary,

QPR went on to claim the lead on two occasions, through Austin and a Martin Demichelis own goal, only to be denied victory due to Sergio Aguero's brace.

A statement from the FA on Monday read: "Queens Park Rangers have been fined £20,000 after admitting an FA misconduct charge and accepting the standard penalty.

"The charge for failing to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion in the eighth minute of the game was in relation to the game against Manchester City on 8 November 2014."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool confirm Sturridge injury setback

463836_heroa.jpg

Nov 19, 2014 17:31:00

The 25-year-old pulled up with a thigh strain at Melwood on Tuesday and is now unavailable to face Crystal Palace, though the extent of the problem has not been disclosed

By Liam Twomey

Liverpool have confirmed that Daniel Sturridge has suffered another thigh strain in training and is now unavailable for Sunday's Premier League clash with Crystal Palace.

As reported by Goal, Sturridge pulled up during a session at Melwood on Tuesday and it is believed the injury is similar in nature to the thigh problem that originally sidelined him while on England duty in early September.

The precise extent of the new problem has not been elaborated on and the 25-year-old will be assessed by Liverpool's medical staff in the coming days, but the striker has been ruled out of contention to face Palace.

"Liverpool Football Club today confirmed scans have revealed Daniel Sturridge has sustained a new thigh injury," a club statement read.

"The player will remain unavailable for selection but will be monitored and assessed during his recovery."

Sturridge has not featured for Liverpool since starring in a 3-0 evisceration of Tottenham at White Hart Lane on August 31 and Brendan Rodgers' men have won just four of 14 matches in all competitions in his absence, with summer signing Mario Balotelli scoring just twice.

The Reds lie 11th in the Premier League after 11 matches, four points off West Ham in fourth, and it now appears that Rodgers will again have to do without the man who scored 21 Premier League goals last season despite missing a significant chunk of the campaign with an ankle injury.

Sturridge had been progressing well in training while recovering from an unrelated calf problem, and as recently as November 12 took to Twitter to reassure fans that he would soon return to the field.

The 25-year-old has been beset by injuries since arriving at Anfield in a £12 million deal from Chelsea in January 2013, and last month suggested his genes and body type might be to blame for his persistent muscular problems.

“I’ve been unfortunate this season to pick up injuries. Maybe it’s my body type and hereditary,” he told TalkSPORT.

“My uncle Dean had a lot of muscle problems when he played, uncle Simon the same, and my dad. Maybe it's the Caribbean vibes. [I have] fast-twitch muscles, I am more vulnerable to muscle injuries."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sinclair hints at City exit

19 November 2014

736851header.jpg

Manchester City misfit Scott Sinclair has hinted that he is ready to end his frustrating spell with the Premier League champions.

The winger moved to the Etihad Stadium from Swansea City two years ago, but has started only two Premier League matches for the club.

Sinclair joined West Brom on loan last season, but that switch also failed to work out as he made only eight top-flight appearances for the Midlands club - with only four of those being starts.

Former England Under-21 international Sinclair has expressed his frustration at the manner in which his career has stalled and the 25-year-old is eager to play first-team football.

"It has been very frustrating for the last couple of years," he told Sky Sports.

"I have tried to do as well as I can in training and hope to get a chance but at this moment in time it is hard for me to get a game.

"There are some world-class players here so I can't do much more than keep working hard in training.

"I don't feel I've had the best of chances; I just want to get out there and show why City bought me but I've not had that opportunity.

"I made the decision [to join City] and I have to deal with it, I can't look back and say it was a mistake but the only thing I do miss is playing football.

"I made the decision to come to City and fight it out with all the big players and it hasn't really worked out thus far.

"All I can do is re-evaluate in January and go from there."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fletcher fitness boost for Sunderland

19 November 2014

737001header.jpg

Steven Fletcher has provided Sunderland with a fitness boost after shaking off a knock sustained while on international duty.

The 27-year-old limped off after 57 minutes of Scotland's 1-0 Euro 2016 qualifying victory over the Republic of Ireland last Friday and subsequently missed Tuesday's 3-1 friendly defeat to England.

Fletcher returned to his club to receive treatment and head coach Gus Poyet was fearful he could miss Saturday's Premier League clash at Leicester City.

However, the former Burnley and Wolves striker looks set to feature against Nigel Pearson's men at the King Power Stadium.

"Steven is okay - it was not nice at all watching the game and seeing Fletch coming off," Poyet told Sunderland's official website.

"Naturally as human beings we always think the worst, but we got in contact straight away with him and the Scottish medical staff, who were very good.

"They sent him back to us and we have done everything possible, so I will say I am 100 per cent sure he will play on Saturday."

Fletcher has scored four goals in nine Premier League appearances for Sunderland this season.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bony pens Swansea extension

19 November 2014

737203header.jpg

Wilfried Bony has signed a one-year contract extension with Swansea City, keeping him at the Liberty Stadium until 2018.

The Ivory Coast international has become a big fan favourite in south Wales since joining for a club-record fee of £12million from Vitesse Arnhem in 2013.

Bony, who scored 25 goals in all competitions in his first season at the club, has been linked the likes of the Liverpool and Arsenal due to his impressive form.

However, he has seemingly put an end to speculation on his future by signing a new deal that extends his stay with the Premier League club for an additional 12 months.

"It's great news for the club," Swansea manager Garry Monk told the club's official website.

"I've spoken a lot about what Bony has brought to the club not just on the pitch but off it as well.

"These types of players are ones that we do our best to keep at the club for a long time. But it's also important that we see commitment from that player towards the club, his team-mates and the fans.

"Bony has shown that he is very committed to this club by signing an extension here.

"When we talk about the future and progressing it can't be just talk, there has to be commitment from myself, the players and the club.

"Bony has bought into the direction the club wants to take. He is a big player for us so to tie down his future is fantastic news for everyone connected with the club.

"I'm sure the fans will be more than happy with the extension. For them to see a big player, who they have a lot of affection for, tie down his future with their club is something they will thoroughly enjoy hearing about."

Bony has struggled to match his prolific form of last term, but four goals to his name from 11 Premier League appearances represents a reasonable return.

He has developed a strong understanding with Gylfi Sigurdsson in attack, the Ivorian and Icelandic duo helping Swansea to fifth place in the top flight.

They resume their campaign after the international break at Premier League champions Manchester City on Saturday.

MeeSoupOzil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey Arsene you should have bought Bony instead of Wellbeck. It would have cost Arsenal quite a bit less and I think Wellbeck is too inconsistent.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Falcao out for two weeks with 'new injury', says Van Gaal

610111_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Nov 20, 2014 17:40:00

The Manchester United manager told reporters of the setback, but the striker is confident of returning to his best once he has recovered amid concerns over his fitness

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says striker Radamel Falcao will be out another for another two weeks after picking up a "new injury".

The loanee striker has not featured since the 2-2 draw with West Brom on October 20 after suffering a calf injury and the Colombia team doctor recently revealed a return to fitness was not forthcoming.

Falcao is yet to complete a full 90 minutes for United since joining from Monaco and has just one goal to his name, but the striker is confident of improving once he has shaken off the new setback.

"I am getting better, I feel well and I hope to come back to the pitch soon," Falcao told the club's official website.

"It is disappointing that I can’t play but I have to be calm and recover because that is important to help the team when I return to the games."

Falcao's fitness concerns have been linked to his recent knee injury which sidelined him for much of last season and the World Cup, but the striker has insisted such reports are completely false.

"It is a bit frustrating. Well, it is more than frustrating actually and it detracts from the credibility of the media that there is so much speculation and that so many falsehoods have been written about it," he added.

"I think with an audience of so many millions of people, it is not right. I did take a small injury to my calf, which is something that I need to be careful with, but there are a lot of stories circulating that are pure speculation."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wigan sponsor quits after Mackay appointment

20 November 2014

738447header.jpg

​Wigan Athletic sponsor Premier Range will end their agreement with the Championship club after Malky Mackay's appointment.

Mackay was named as Uwe Rosler's replacement at the DW Stadium on Wednesday, despite currently being investigated by the Football Association for sending offensive text messages during his time at Cardiff City.

The 42-year-old's appointment has brought criticism from anti-discrimination group Kick It Out, and one of Wigan's primary sponsors has now announced they will no longer have a relationship with the club.

"Unfortunately, their recent appointment of Malky Mackay has put us in a position that we find untenable," Premier Range told BBC Sport.

"Mr Mackay is currently under investigation by the FA for sending text messages that are at odds with the general ethos here at Premier Range - and, it would seem, Cardiff and QPR feel the same as us.

"The texts Mr Mackay has admitted to sending are wholly unacceptable - and the thoughts expressed within them are a shocking reminder of a past we thought football had left behind.

"A team that would employ a man who expresses views such these is not the kind of team Premier Range wish to deal with."

Meanwhile, the FA has confirmed it has given no indication as to the outcome of their investigation into Mackay and his former head of recruitment at Cardiff Iain Moody.

To add to the furore surrounding Mackay's appointment at Wigan, chairman Dave Whelan has been accused of anti-Semitism following comments made to the Guardian.

Whelan is said to have told the newspaper there was not "a lot wrong" with anything Mackay had said in the text messages that are currently under investigation by the FA.