• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ La Liga Season 2015-16 ★

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sunday August 16 2015

Masch: Comeback for the fans

By Football Espana staff

masch-athletic-supercopa490epa_0.jpg

Javier Mascherano has claimed that Barcelona will do all they can to turn around their Supercopa tie against Athletic Bilbao for the fans.

La Blaugrana were humbled 4-0 in the first leg at San Mames on Thursday, but the midfielder – reiterating his post-match sentiments – is of the belief that La Blaugrana can wipe out the deficit and remain on course for the sextuple.

“The players have to be convinced that they can come back from this,” he said at a Press conference ahead of Monday’s decider in Catalonia.

“It’s a very important challenge for all of us, and it’s us who have to prove [that we want the Supercopa] to the fans.

“At San Mames, we didn’t have a good game, but the result was exaggerated in light of how the match panned out.

“As of [Saturday], the team are focused on leaving Bilbao behind and trying to turn the tie around. We have reasons to believe.

“When you play for a big club, you have to be prepared for both criticism and praise

“We have to improve and minimise our defensive lapses. If we can do that, we’ll be back to our usual level.

“We’re facing our opponents with a deficit, but we’re prepared. We must be effective [in front of goal].

“The first thing we must do is respect our opponents and know who we’re playing.

“Being given the captaincy fills me with joy, but my role is always the same as always. I give my all for the team.”

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sunday August 16 2015

Emery: Plenty of work to do

By Football Espana staff

emery-supercup490epa_0.jpg

Unai Emery has admitted that “there’s plenty of work still to be done” following Sevilla’s 6-4 friendly defeat to Roma on Friday.

The Andalucians have now conceded 11 goals in their last two games, despite finding themselves 4-1 and 6-0 down in either, and the Coach made no bones about the importance of his side improving in time for next week’s La Liga kick-off.

“Despite the circumstances, such as injuries, we must show greater strength,” he said after the game.

“Those who have joined the club must continue to adapt. There’s plenty of work still to be done and we have as much work ahead of us.

“Playing a game like this has allowed us to draw many conclusions. Now, I need to find our best XI.

“The team competed well against Barcelona ​​and, although we lost, I saw enough to suggest that we could pick up from where we left off last season.

“The campaign starts now and there’s no more [pre-season] tests left.

“I can only ask for performances, the demands placed on us being met and total commitment to the project.”

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sunday August 16 2015

Official: Eibar sign Milan’s Verdi

By Football Espana staff

Verdi-Palermo490epa.jpg

Eibar have completed their second signing in two days with the season-long capture of Milan attacker Simone Verdi on loan.

The 23-year-old, who spent last term at Empoli, scoring once in 26 appearances, will be officially presented on Monday alongside fellow new boy Adrian Gonzalez.

Verdi emerged from Milan’s youth academy and has also spent time at Torino and Juve Stabia.

Primarily a No 10, the former Italy Under-21 international can also play on the wings.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini confirms Kovacic exit

17 August 2015 03:51

894633header.jpg

Inter midfielder Mateo Kovacic is set to join Real Madrid, the Serie A club's coach Roberto Mancini confirmed.

The Croatia international, 21, appears certain to make a €35million move to the La Liga giants in the coming days.

Mancini confirmed as much on Sunday and said financial fair play rules were the reason for both the exits of Kovacic and Xherdan Shaqiri, who left for Stoke City.

Asked about Kovacic's reported move to Real, Mancini said: "There are rules that have to be respected. I don't think anyone wanted this to happen but we have the financial fair play regulations to follow.

"We're all sorry about it: myself, the president, the management and the players themselves.

"He and Shaqiri both left for the same reason, but now we'll try to bring in the sort of players we need and hopefully we'll be able to do it quickly because the league starts next week.

"We'll see what we can do in the transfer market."

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benitez reveals big plans for Benzema

17 August 2015 12:02

894728header.jpg

Rafael Benitez wants striker Karim Benzema to weigh in with at least 25 goals this season, suggesting the Frenchman remains firmly in his plans at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Benzema has been heavily linked with a move to Premier League side Arsenal in recent weeks - speculation swiftly denied by the club's respective managers Benitez and Arsene Wenger.

Benzema scored 22 times in all competitions last term but Benitez feels the 27-year-old can contribute more during his debut season at the club.

When asked if he was keen to bring in a striker with a different style, Benitez told El Pais: "Having alternatives in any position always helps.

"For example, the middle of the park - you have a midfielder who is better with containing and another with passing.

"Depending on the match, you can take advantage of one or the other. In the case of the striker, it's the same.

"Benzema is a great player and one of my ideas this year is that he exceeds the barrier of 20-25 goals. In that, I have a lot of confidence.

"I have a lot of faith in him, and Benzema has the ability to compete with any other striker."

Inter boss Roberto Mancini has confirmed midfielder Mateo Kovacic is set to join Real and Benitez remains open to further additions.

"Until August 31, the market is open and there may be movements, but I only speak of the squad that I have," he added.

"To improve our team is not easy, there are not many players better than the ones that we have and [that are] available on the market."

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid and Sergio Ramos are ´united forever´

17 August 2015 14:21

894776header.jpg

Florentino Perez believes Real Madrid and Sergio Ramos are "united forever" after the defender agreed a new five-year deal with the Spanish giants.

Ramos was linked with Manchester United in the current transfer window, but the sceptics' view that he was using interest from Louis van Gaal's men as a bargaining tool towards earning a new, improved deal at the Santiago Bernabeu appeared to be vindicated by the news he has committed his future to Madrid.

The Spain centre-half's new deal runs until 2020, by which time he will be 34, and Madrid president Perez is confident he will never leave Los Blancos.

He said at a press conference on Monday: "Today is a great day, Real Madrid has satisfaction that Sergio will be with us for five more years.

"Ramos is a symbol of Madridisma, which has made us love him for many years with his character, desire and huge heart.

"That's why Real Madrid and Ramos are united forever."

Perez also confirmed Ramos would, as expected, assume the captaincy following Iker Casillas' move to Porto.

"It's not easy to be the leader in this team - Real Madrid is the most demanding club in the world - but Ramos has understood that," he added.

"He came here at 19 and the unity between Sergio and Real Madrid has been strong.

"In 2005, Sergio was very clear, he came here to make history and now 10 years later we can confirm that's how it has been. This is where he will continue to make history.

"This will be his 11th season and he is going to be the captain, he will wear it with pride as Iker Casillas did."

Perez continued: "It's a special day for me, for many reasons. From a personal perspective, because I have seen how he has developed from a young man to a man, an exceptional player. A legend - 445 matches and 55 goals.

"Ramos has won everything but like Real he wants more, that's why we need to make this desire for new challenges.

"His determination and leadership continues to be an example to young players here.

"Sergio Ramos will always be Sergio Ramos, I hope he is always the same footballer, who never gives up.

"With your work and talent, you have made every Madridista love you. Now we need you more than ever."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Money not the main factor in Real renewal - Ramos

17 August 2015 14:36

894791header.jpg

Sergio Ramos says he could have earned more money had he left Real Madrid rather than signing a new five-year deal at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The Spain defender - who will now captain Real following Iker Casillas' exit - put pen to paper on a new contract on Monday following weeks of reports suggesting he was close to joining Manchester United.

Ramos, 29, has been with Real since 2005 and stated financial considerations were not a primary reason in renewing his deal.

"Honestly, if it was an economic decision I wouldn't have stayed," he said at a news conference.

"I could have earned more elsewhere. It wasn't a question of money, there were personal and professional things we had to organise. I've never spoken of my renewal but obviously, with a contract that had two years to go, whatever the press want to say I respect.

"I wasn't happy in certain ways but I never said I wanted to leave. I spoke to who I needed to speak to but I couldn't continue how I was. Those personal things are nothing to do with money.

"The economic situation - the president and I solved that in five minutes. There were other things to talk about.

"I'm not going to talk about money. That never motivated me - happiness and family motivated me.

"I never said I wanted to leave, my idea was always to be here. I wanted to retire here if the president allowed me. I'm very thankful I have a new challenge to be captain of this team and I will do it in the most honest way."

Ramos etched his name into Real folklore with the equaliser in the 2014 UEFA Champions League final against Atletico Madrid, before Gareth Bale, Marcelo and Cristiano Ronaldo secured 'La Decima' in extra time.

When it was suggested Real fans could turn against him due to the recent United links, he added: "I think they've always given me the same affection, I've never felt anything untowards in the stadium.

"The love from the fans has been important to me staying. They ask a lot but the players know the pressure and the responsibility - obviously I have the same affection.

"Out of respect for the club I've been quiet [through the negotiations]. Throughout my career I've given everything for this club and I will do the same over the next five years.

"We all know the demands at this club but I'm ready for this responsibility to make sure every Madridista is happy."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique humble in Barca´s Supercopa defeat

18 August 2015 02:16

895170header.jpg

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique saluted the efforts of his players after falling short in the return leg of the Supercopa de Espana, while he congratulated champions Athletic Bilbao.

Bilbao lifted silverware for the first time since 1984 following Monday's 1-1 draw at Camp Nou, which was enough for a 5-1 aggregate triumph.

Barca had their work cut out from the first minute after losing the opening leg 4-0 but Lionel Messi set about reducing the deficit with a trademark goal approaching half-time, though Gerard Pique's 56th-minute red card dashed their hopes.

Bilbao, who also finished the match with 10 men following a late red card to substitute Kike Sola, responded 16 minutes from time through first-leg hero Aritz Aduriz as they ended a 31-year trophy drought.

The defeat denied Luis Enrique the chance to equal Pep Guardiola's record of six titles in his first year in charge, however the Barca boss had no issues with his side.

"I think they played very well," Luis Enrique told reporters post-match.

"They got Athletic doubting and I could see our opponents were starting to worry. That's what we were after in this game. We competed and made a huge effort.

"But it all ended when Gerard Pique was sent off.

"I can only say well done to Athletic for such a fine performance. Sometimes it’s good to lose in order to appreciate how hard it is to win."

Luis Enrique added: "The team is united and competitive. There is a very tough league campaign ahead of us.

"We want to keep bringing joy to the fans and we want to carry on being a team that sets standards around the world."

La Liga champions Barca have the opportunity to exact revenge when they kick off their league campaign at Bilbao on Sunday.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monday August 17 2015

Baptistao relishing Soldado partnership

By Football Espana staff

baptistao-villarreal-lyon490epa.jpg

Villarreal striker Leo Baptistao says he is relishing his attacking partnership with fellow new boy Roberto Soldado.

The pair have been brought in by the Yellow Submarine this summer in order to combat the departures of Luciano Vietto, Giovani dos Santos, Ikechukwu Uche and Gerard Moreno.

“I felt very comfortable with Soldado up top [against Sporting Gijon]. He’s sure to bring a lot to the team and also help me to improve,” the former Atletico Madrid man was quoted as saying by Marca.

“Soldado feels very comfortable at Villarreal. At the moment, I see him very happy, cheerful and that’s good for us.

“I’m starting to gain an understanding with [Bruno Soriano], he’s a great passer.

“When you have the ball, the strikers must be very attentive to forward passes and try to score.

“We’ve played well in pre-season but it’s already in the past and now we must think about the League opener, which is important.

“Betis will surely be a tough game. I played for them [previously] and know the pressure that their fans apply [on oppponents]. We’ll try to win the three points with humility.”

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monday August 17 2015

Official: Ciani joins Espanyol

By Football Espana staff

ciani-hernanes490epa_0.jpg

Espanyol have announced the signing of defender Michael Ciani on a two-year contract, less than a month after joining Sporting CP.

In a surprise twist, the centre-back will no longer honour his two-year deal with the Portuguese giants, instead seeing it effectively transferred over to Los Periquitos.

Ciani, 31, complements a new-look Espanyol backline, which has already been bolstered by Enzo Roco and Antonio Raillo.

He is now expected to be presented at Cornella-El Prat on Monday after successfully undergoing a medical.

Capped once by France, Ciani has also represented the likes of Bordeaux, Lorient, Sedan, Charleroi and Lazio, who he had played for until last season

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monday August 17 2015

Nolito ends Barca speculation?

By Football Espana staff

nolito-celebrates490epa_3.jpg

Nolito appears to have ended speculation linking him with Barcelona by claiming he will spend the foreseeable future at Celta Vigo, “god willing”.

The 28-year-old has long been tipped as the likeliest candidate to replace Pedro Rodriguez at Camp Nou, in the event that the winger moves on this summer, but he has now backtracked on his previous comments, which saw him admit he would not be able to reject his former club.

“God willing, I’ll be here for many more years,” he said at a local event on Saturday.

“[Celta] is my second home. I have friends and family here.”

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monday August 17 2015

‘Coentrao will go Benfica, not Inter’

By Football Espana staff

coentrao-ronaldo-portugal490epa_2.jpg

FIFA agent and transfer expert Ernesto Bronzetti has claimed that Fabio Coentrao will only leave Real Madrid for Benfica, not Inter.

The Nerazzurri had been linked with the left-back, given his peripheral status at the Santiago Bernabeu, with one report even claiming that he was being swapped with Mateo Kovacic, but Bronzetti insists there is no substance in the rumour.

“From what I’ve been told Real Madrid, the player won’t leave,” he told FCInterNews.

“Real Madrid aren’t considering letting him go, at least for now. Inter are out of the equation.

“If things changed, Coentrao would go Benfica.”

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benitez avoids De Gea questions

19 August 2015 07:45

895658header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Rafael Benitez dodged questions surrounding David de Gea and the goalkeeper's potential move to the club.

De Gea, 24, is yet to feature for Manchester United this season and continues to be linked with a move to Real.

Benitez keeps insisting he is happy with his goalkeepers, having started Keylor Navas in Real's 2-1 win over Galatasaray on Tuesday and signed Kiko Casilla from Espanyol in July.

Reports suggest Navas was offered to United as part of a deal for De Gea, yet Benitez was unwilling to talk about the Spain international goalkeeper after his side's win over Gala.

Asked about De Gea, Benitez said: "Keylor had a great game. I have very good goalkeepers.

"I'm delighted with all three of them and I'll be working with them to the full."

De Gea is yet to even sit on the bench for United this season, with manager Louis van Gaal saying the goalkeeper had refused to play.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zidane will be next Real coach - Fernandez

19 August 2015 10:22

895693header.jpg

Luis Fernandez has backed fellow former France international Zinedine Zidane to take over at Real Madrid after Rafael Benitez's tenure as coach comes to an end.

Benitez was appointed as the replacement for Carlo Ancelotti in June following two seasons at Serie A side Napoli.

Ancelotti's dismissal in May came a year after he guided Real to an historic 10th UEFA Champions League title.

Spanish-born Fernandez, who enjoyed managerial stints at Athletic Bilbao, Espanyol and Real Betis and is currently in charge Guinea's national side, was disappointed by the decision to part company with Ancelotti but feels Real are preparing to eventually hand the reins to Zidane.

Zidane spent five seasons at Real as a player – winning La Liga and famously scoring the decisive goal in the 2002 UEFA Champions League final – and served as assistant to Ancelotti in 2013-14 before taking over reserve side Real Madrid Castilla.

"I would have preferred Carlo to stay," Fernandez told Omnisport. "The season before [last] they [Real] won the 10th Champions League. They were competing against a great Barcelona team, a great [Lionel] Messi.

"I was disappointed that he left the club. I would have liked him to stay in the club.

"Benitez doesn't have the same style. They prepare everything for Zizou, who I think will be the next Real Madrid coach."

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Villarreal bring in Bakambu

19 August 2015 15:09

895813header.jpg

Villarreal have further bolstered their attacking options by signing Cedric Bakambu from Bursaspor on a five-year deal.

The Liga club last week brought in Roberto Soldado from Tottenham and Bakambu has now arrived at El Madrigal for a reported fee of €7million.

Democratic Republic of Congo international Bakambu, 24, scored 21 goals in all competitions in his one season at Turkish club Bursaspor to catch the eye of Villarreal.

Bakambu, who played for France at Under-19 and Under-20 level, only joined Bursaspor from Sochaux last August.

Villarreal also brought in Leo Baptistao on loan from Atletico Madrid last month as they attempt to improve on a sixth-placed finish last season.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ter Stegen to fight for Barca place

20 August 2015 08:37

896172header.jpg

Marc-Andre ter Stegen is ready to battle with Claudio Bravo to be Barcelona's first-choice goalkeeper this season.

German Ter Stegen and Bravo split duties in Barca's unsuccessful Supercopa de Espana tie against Athletic Bilbao, with the former given the nod in a 4-0 first leg defeat last week and the latter reinstated to the starting XI in a 1-1 draw on Monday.

Ter Stegen, who was limited to UEFA Champions League and Copa del Rey action last season with Bravo preferred in La Liga, is unsure if he will be selected for Sunday's league opener at Bilbao but the 23-year-old is up for the challenge.

"I don't know if I will be playing our league games that's for the coach to decide," said Ter Stegen.

"But I will give everything I've got in training to convince him – starting with this Sunday’s game."

Ter Stegen made 21 appearances in all competitions last term as Barca won the treble.

Postiga

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Barca meet familiar faces as Benitez starts Real reign

19 August 2015 17:38

895892header.jpg

Barcelona will hope for a more favourable result against Athletic Bilbao at the third time of asking, while Rafael Benitez takes control of Real Madrid competitively for the first time as the two great rivals start the latest battle for La Liga supremacy this weekend.

Luis Enrique's Barca swept aside all comers en route to a stunning La Liga, Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League treble last season, with Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez scoring a scarcely believable record 122 goals in all competitions.

However, the Catalan club may travel to San Mames with some trepidation having lost 5-1 on aggregate to Bilbao in the Supercopa de Espana.

That included a 4-0 loss at Athletic just five days ago, while the return leg saw Gerard Pique sent off for insulting a linesman, which landed him a four-match ban.

However, Barca won at San Mames twice last season and they will be keen to set an early marker in what is likely to be another tussle with Clasico rivals Real for the title.

Real won the Copa and Champions League in the 2013-14 campaign, but a failure to retain those trophies and finishing second to Barca ultimately cost Carlo Ancelotti his job.

Benitez knows the pressure will be on to deliver from the off against newly promoted Sporting Gijon and the Spaniard will hope that Cristiano Ronaldo – who scored an incredible 48 league goals that term – can continue to shine to dispel rumours of a spat between the two.

Mateo Kovacic has arrived from Inter to try to add more spark in midfield, but key for Real will be to ensure cohesion between front three Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale – the latter looking to rebound from a difficult second season in the Spanish capital.

Sevilla, Atletico Madrid and Valencia are the usual suspects attempting to shake things up at the top.

Europa League winners Sevilla have added the likes of Ciro Immobile, Yevhen Konoplyanka and Adil Rami during the close-season and Unai Emery's men kick off the league at Malaga on Friday.

Atletico proved that Barca and Real can be beaten by winning the league in 2013-14 and much will be expected of Jackson Martinez following his arrival from Porto. The striker could get his first competitive outing in an Atleti shirt against promoted side Las Palmas.

Valencia's preparations have been disrupted by speculation over the future of centre-back Nicolas Otamendi – who looks set to join Manchester City – and a tricky opener at Rayo Vallecano awaits Nuno Espirito Santo's side.

David Moyes starts his first full season in charge of Real Sociedad looking to push towards a return to Europe having finished 12th last term and they visit Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday, while Espanyol take on a Getafe side led by Fran Escriba for the first time.

Eibar will look to make the most of their Liga reprieve, having been allowed to stay in the top flight due to Elche's demotion. Jose Luis Mendilibar replaced former coach Gaizka Garitano in the close-season and first up on Monday is Granada, who finished above Eibar only on a better head-to-head record last term.

Other matches see Europa League qualifiers Villarreal travel to Real Betis, while Levante host Celta Vigo

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barca´s Pedro completes Chelsea move

20 August 2015 14:07

896327header.jpg

Chelsea have swooped to complete the signing of Barcelona forward Pedro.

The Spain international had been strongly linked with Manchester United, with reports suggesting the club's executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward had flown to Spain to conclude a deal.

However, Premier League champions Chelsea have now confirmed his arrival - with Barca revealing the transfer fee could rise to €30million.

"I am very happy to be here," Pedro told his new club's official website. "I am very excited to start my adventure at Chelsea and I am here to keep winning titles.

"Thanks to the club and the supporters for giving me the opportunity to put the blue shirt on."

United manager Louis van Gaal was thought to be keen on Pedro as a replacement for Angel di Maria, who joined Paris Saint-Germain after a disappointing one-season stay at Old Trafford.

It appeared as though United had beaten off interest from rivals Manchester City for his signature, before Chelsea's 11th-hour move.

Reports suggested that Jose Mourinho almost signed the 28-year-old in January before opting for Fiorentina's Juan Cuadrado, who has struggled to hit top form in the Premier league.

Pedro comes with an excellent pedigree having won 20 major honours at Camp Nou, including five La Liga titles, three Copa del Rey medals and the UEFA Champions League three times.

He has also enjoyed success on the international stage, winning the World Cup and the European Championship with Spain.

However, Pedro recently found starts hard to come by at club level, with Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar proving a devastating attacking trio last term - scoring 122 goals between them as Barca won a Liga, Copa and Champions League treble.

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid loan Asensio to Espanyol

20 August 2015 19:24

896465header.jpg

Real Madrid have sent highly rated winger Marco Asensio on loan to Espanyol until the end of the season.

The 19-year-old moved to the Santiago Bernabeu from Real Mallorca on a six-year deal in December before being immediately loaned back to his former club for the remainder of the 2014-15 campaign.

Asensio scored six goals in 36 Segunda Division appearances for Mallorca last term.

The move to Espanyol will allow Asensio time to adapt to life in La Liga as he bids to eventually break into the Real first team.

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico Madrid v Las Palmas: Saul expects much from ´most talented´ Atleti

20 August 2015 22:07

896530header.jpg

Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul is convinced the club's current squad is the best he can remember and has urged his team-mates to prove that in Saturday's La Liga opener against promoted Las Palmas.

Despite seeing a host of talented players leaving since the end of last season, Atletico have struck some eye-catching deals in the transfer market and will hoping to set down a marker when the Canary Islands outfit visit.

Miranda, Mario Mandzukic, Arda Turan and Mario Suarez were just some of the names to depart, but in Jackson Martinez, Luciano Vietto, Yannick Ferreira Carrasco and others, Las Palmas are sure to be made aware of the step up in class from La Segunda.

And in an attempt to bring further apprehension to Paco Herrera's men, Saul is confident Atletico's current crop are a gifted bunch.

The 20-year-old said: "This might be the most talented squad I can remember. The club has done a great job with the signings and incorporating such great players.

"We don't have a main objective. Las Palmas are a great team. It'll be very difficult and we will try for the win as we would against any team.

"It's a difficult start but what we need to think about first is Las Palmas, and not to look further."

Atletico embark on their mission of staging a challenge for the Liga title at home to their recently promoted counterparts and will be fully expected to make a winning start.

Diego Simeone's men picked up maximum points against the three promoted teams last term and anything other than a repeat on Saturday will mark a stunning start to life back in La Liga for Las Palmas.

The Gran Canaria side's last stint in the top flight ended in 2002 following two years rubbing shoulders with the elite and many of the years between have seen them struggle, with things looking particularly gloomy during a couple of seasons in the third tier.

Nevertheless, under former Celta Vigo coach Herrera, Las Palmas have some talented individuals and will be confident of at least causing the Atletico defence some difficulties with the likes of Sergio Araujo and Jonathan Viera.

But their most noteworthy star comes in the shape of former Atletico and Spain playmaker Juan Carlos Valeron and the 40-year-old is looking forward to making his return to La Liga at a former stomping ground.

He told AS: "I take things as naturally and as normally as possible. If there's a gesture of affection towards me I will appreciate it, and if not [it doesn't matter].

"Wearing the Atletico shirt is something not everyone can do and for me it was incredible – very special. The club will always be in my heart."

Las Palmas are expected to hand debuts to Pedro Bigas, Javier Garrido and Antolin Alcaraz, though Willian Jose (ankle) looks set to miss out on his first competitive appearance.

Atletico, meanwhile, will only be without Thomas Partey (ankle).