• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ La Liga Season 2015-16 ★

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valencia: Voro assisted by Phil Neville at La Liga side

_86955648_pn.jpg

30 November 2015 Last updated at 18:03 GMT

Former Manchester United and England defender Phil Neville has helped take Valencia training following the resignation of Nuno Espirito Santo.

Nuno stepped down on Sunday, after just over one season in charge.

Neville joined Valencia as assistant manager in July, having previously been first-team coach at Manchester United.

The former Everton captain, 38, will support interim coach Voro until a new manager is appointed, the Spanish club said on Monday.

They both took training before Valencia's Copa del Rey last-32 tie at Barakaldo on Wednesday.

Valencia's next La Liga match is at home to champions Barcelona on Saturday.

Nuno, 41, announced his departure after Sunday's 1-0 defeat at Sevilla, which left Valencia ninth in La Liga.

They are third in Group H of the Champions League, still with a chance of progressing to the knockout stage. However, the Portuguese said expectations had not been met.

"We are all in agreement that the current situation is not good, and that we must all do what is best for the club," he said. "This has always been my intention."

Valencia finished fourth in La Liga last season but have struggled this term, winning five out of 13 games.

The club's Singaporean owner, Peter Lim, has a stake in Salford City, the non-league club co-owned by Neville with his former Manchester United team-mates Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville and Paul Scholes.

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone open to January signings following Tiago injury

30 November 2015 14:42

966579header.jpg

Diego Simeone says Atletico Madrid are always open to new signings, but an injury to Tiago has increased their need to strengthen in January.

Club president Enrique Cerezo expects the Portuguese to be sidelined for at least three months after he sustained a broken leg in a 1-0 win over Espanyol on Saturday.

While Atletico are apparently ever-willing participants in mid-season transfer dealings, their Argentine coach admitted the blow could cause them to intensify their search for new additions to the squad.

"We are always open to any situation when the winter transfer window comes," Simeone said.

"It will not be an exception now, more so due to the absence of a player like Tiago."

A loss of experience in midfield is the coach's main concern, but he is comfortable with the options available in the short term.

"Clearly, it's hard to find another Tiago. At 34 years old there is experience that no-one has at 26 or 27," he said.

"We will work with the guys we have in that position: Koke, Saul, [Matias] Kranevitter, Gabi.

"We will work to see who does better."

Atletico travel to Catalonia to face Reus Deportiu in the first leg of a Copa del Rey fourth-round tie, and Simeone has insisted the visitors will not be taking the match lightly, despite going into the contest as heavy favourites.

"[Winning] the Copa was the beginning of very important things that have happened since," he said, referring to the club's success in the 2012-13 edition of the competition.

"It's not one game, it's two, but we will play with enthusiasm, excitement and great joy."

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona lodge complaint over ex-Madrid duo´s Neymar comments

30 November 2015 13:37

966547header.jpg

Barcelona have approached the Spanish government's Sports Council (CSD) to open proceedings against former Real Madrid players Manuel Sanchis and Poli Rincon over their comments about Neymar.

Working as sports pundits on radio network La Cadena COPE, Sanchis and Rincon "publicly and repeatedly justified the act of aggression that the Real Madrid player Isco committed against the FC Barcelona player Neymar", according to a statement on the Barcelona website.

The comments came after Isco was sent off for a late tackle on Neymar during the closing stages of Barcelona's 4-0 La Liga win at the Santiago Bernabeu earlier this month.

Neymar scored his team's third goal in the rout and Barcelona have approached the Anti-Violence Commission, an affiliate organisation of the CSD, with their complaint.

Despite being given the opportunity to condemn Isco's actions, the Barcelona statement said that Sanchis told the Tiempo de Juego programme: "Neymar is going over the line, he isn't getting [hit] enough."

Rincon added: "If I am there, I hit him [Neymar], there should be no doubt that I hit him; me and anyone else."

Barcelona's statement concluded: "FC Barcelona considers these statements to be an invitation to violence and therefore asks the Anti-Violence Commission to act."

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cruyff: Messi's team play sets him apart from Ronaldo

champions-league-totw-lionel-messi-barcelona_nvql5oaogxgc1qsxyplza6ega.jpg

By Oliver Platt
Dec 2, 2015 16:57:25

The former Barcelona player and manager believes the Portuguese's contribution is more limited to goalscoring, praising this year's Ballon d'Or favourite's all-round game

Johan Cruyff believes Lionel Messi's superior team play sets him apart from Cristiano Ronaldo as the world's best player.

The Dutchman, who won league titles as a player and a manager at Barcelona, sees Ronaldo as a more individualistic talent whose contribution is measured primarily through his goalscoring.

Ballon d'Or favourite Messi, according to Cruyff, possesses the same attacking threat but is also more effective at bringing the best out of his team-mates.

"Messi is a team player and the splendour of his play makes sense within the collective football of the team," Cruyff told France Football.

"However, the freedom of Ronaldo is in a reduced environment. His position on the pitch is that of a player that thinks that his way of helping the team is scoring goals. There's a difference.

"Messi scores a lot as well, taking advantage of his qualities, but without losing sight of his team-mates."

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rio reveals the best way to stop Luis Suarez

2336622_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Dec 2, 2015 15:40:00

The former Manchester United defender faced the Uruguayan five times during his career at Old Trafford but believes he knows how to nullify the striker

Rio Ferdinand believes the best way to stop Luis Suarez is to allow the Barcelona forward time on the ball to decide his next move.

Ferdinand faced Suarez five times during his career at Manchester United and the Uruguayan was only able to score once when the former England captain was on the pitch.

During a motivational talk with England’s Under-19s, which has been revealed by the FA, the retired centre-back was asked for tips on how to defend against the world’s best.

“Suarez, I remember when we played at Anfield and he was on fire at the time, and I just used to let him run at me, and I’d jockey and make him make a decision,” said Ferdinand.

“I thought he was better, if you had a nibble, he could react quick and then beat you.

“I used to think if I let him make the decision, he’s not as good. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great player, but he’s always waiting for the defender to make a move, and then he’ll react and then go.”

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gary Neville takes charge of Valencia

2335702_heroa.jpg

Dec 2, 2015 12:02:00

The former Manchester United and England full-back will take his first steps in management with the La Liga club following the shock announcement on Wednesday

Gary Neville has been named the shock new manager of Valencia until the end of the season, the La Liga club have confirmed.

The former Manchester United and England full-back's first game in charge will be the Champions League clash with Lyon on December 9, as he takes his first steps in football management.

In a statement on the club's official website, Neville said: "I am absolutely thrilled to be given this opportunity with Valencia.

"Valencia are a huge football club of immense standing and I know from my time as a player the passion and dedication of the Valencia fans.

“I am really looking forward to working with the club’s talented group of players and am excited about the challenge ahead.

Valencia president Layhoon Chan added: “We are delighted to have secured Gary so quickly. He combines top level coaching experience through his role as a senior coach with the England national team and a world-class playing career with England and Manchester United.

“Throughout his career Gary has always shown great leadership both on and off the pitch. He is hugely respected in English football and it was his personal qualities which persuaded us that he was the right choice to lead Valencia until the end of the season."

Neville replaces Nuno Espirito Santo, who was sacked following the club's 1-0 defeat to Sevilla on Sunday.

He has combined work as a television pundit with a coaching role for England under Roy Hogson since May 2012, but will remain a part of the Three Lions' backroom staff.

The former Manchester United and England defender's brother, Phillip, who has been Valencia's assistant manager since June, will take charge of the Copa del Rey clash with Barkaldo on Wednesday and their league meeting with Barcelona.

The two brothers have links with the Spanish club through los Che's owner Peter Lim, who also has a 50 per cent stake in non-league side Salford City, who were bought by the Nevilles and their former United team-mates Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt and Paul Scholes in March 2014.

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid v Getafe: Hosts looking to bounce back from Copa controversy

4 December 2015

968667header.jpg

Real Madrid host Getafe in La Liga on Saturday, seeking a positive result as they look to put a controversial week behind them.

Madrid's 3-1 win over Cadiz in the first leg of the Copa del Rey last-32 tie has been overshadowed by the possibility of expulsion from the competition for fielding an ineligible player, Denis Cheryshev.

Cheryshev scored the opener in Wednesday's away win before being replaced 45 seconds into the second half, with Cadiz proceeding with legal processes against the Spanish giants.

The return to league fixtures could provide vital respite for under-pressure head coach Rafael Benitez, whose Madrid slipped to third in La Liga following two defeats from their last three matches.

Benitez received further criticism this week when former Cadiz coach David Vidal claimed the Spaniard was treating the Madrid job like he was working for upcoming opponents Getafe.

"People say you have to organise the defence and the attack is improvised, but that's a lie," he said.

"He has to do better because he is working with the best players in the world. He has to play brilliant football."

Madrid received a fitness boost this week, with Marcelo returning to training.

Sergio Ramos, Raphael Varane and Dani Carvajal, meanwhile, continue their respective recoveries.

After naming a second-string line-up for the cup clash against Segunda B opposition midweek, Benitez has the luxury of naming a fresh team, including the return of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Getafe, 13th in the table, ended a run of four games without a win in the league last time out when they beat Villarreal 2-0.

Goals either side of half-time from Angel Lafita and Alvaro Vazquez sealed a much-needed three points for Fran Escriba's side.

Ahead of their trip to the capital, full-back Roberto Lago urged his team-mates to believe in their ability.

"[Madrid] have a very large squad [and] it is a difficult game," he told the club's official website.

"We will play to win. Let's believe in ourselves. We will look to make things right and fight for what we can get."

Madrid thrashed Getafe 7-3 in the corresponding fixture in May, with Ronaldo netting a hat-trick within the opening 34 minutes in the final match of the campaign.

Benitez's men have won each of their last seven home games against Getafe scoring 28 goals in the process.

Getafe have not taken maximum points from an away game since April.

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valencia v Barcelona: Watching brief for Gary Neville against in-form champions

3 December 2015

968629header.jpg

New Valencia head coach Gary Neville will watch from the stands as his players take on Barcelona in a crucial La Liga clash at the Mestalla on Saturday.

Interim head coach Voro and Gary's brother Phil Neville will continue to hold the fort for the game against Luis Enrique's side after guiding Los Che to a 3-1 Copa del Rey win over Barakaldo on Wednesday.

After watching the clash against Barca, former Manchester United and England defender Gary Neville will take charge of the squad on Sunday ahead of his first game in the dugout against Lyon in the Champions League on December 9.

It will be a massive test for Valencia, who sit ninth after seeing previous coach Nuno Espirito Santo resign last week. They face a Barca side sitting top of the pile, four points clear of Atletico Madrid and a further two ahead of rivals Real Madrid, who they defeated 4-0 last month as part of a run that has seen them win their last seven matches in all competitions.

Those games have seen last season's treble winners score an astonishing 28 goals while conceding just two, form which does not bode well for a Valencia outfit who have only beaten their opponents once in their last 16 attempts in La Liga.

"We thought for this week it is best for me not to be on the bench against Barcelona," explained Gary Neville.

"On Sunday afternoon I received the first contact from [club owner] Peter Lim. It took about 24 hours to think, talk to family and then make the decision, which was given on Monday.

"Then you have to focus on the logistics. It took until Wednesday for the announcement to be made and this would have left only one training session – a new voice for this short period would not have been fair for professional players.

"They needed to prepare for such an important game consistently with those who were already there. Out of respect for the players it is best for me to start against Lyon.

"I had several meetings with players, coaches, doctors – but at this stage it is important not to give a message that can undermine their attention from the important match against Barcelona, so I will leave them to one side now.

"I will not deceive Valencia fans by saying we are going to come here and play like Manchester United. I am aware that the style of football depends on the opponent.

"On Saturday against Barcelona, the approach will be different from Lyon and in each match we must adapt. People want to see attacking football and I will look for a way to provide a suitable style."

Barca star Luis Suarez is the league's second top goalscorer on 12 – behind only team-mate Neymar on 14 – and he is keen for his in-form side not to rest on their laurels despite having breathing space at the top of the table.

"There is enough quality in this squad to win new titles," he said at an Adidas promotional event.

"It would be very nice to repeat the treble, but we now have some very important games and then the Club World Cup, which we all want to win.

"It is great to get a six-point gap to Madrid, but Atletico are within four and they are very strong opponents.

"It is still too early to say who the candidates are to win the league. Last year we also had a bad time and then we went on to win the treble."

Jeremy Mathieu (thigh) is likely to be missing for the visitors after injuring his thigh in the Copa win over Villanovense.

Key Opta stats:

- At the Mestalla, Valencia have gone eight league games without a win against Barcelona (D4 L4) and they kept just one clean sheet in that run.

- Barcelona have won six league games in a row. Should they defeat Valencia this will be their best winning streak since October 2013 (13).

- Neymar scores an average of one goal per 76 minutes, the best rate among players with more than 100 minutes played in La Lga this season.

- The Brazilian player has scored in his last four league appearances. Should he score against Valencia this will be his longest such run in the competition (5).

- Valencia is, behind Malaga (4), the side to have faced Neymar the most times without conceding a goal scored by him in La Liga (3).

- Messi, Suarez and Neymar have scored 30 out of the 33 Barcelona goals in La Liga so far this season.

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Granada v Atletico Madrid: History weighs heavily against hosts

3 December 2015

968457header.jpg

History is firmly on Atletico Madrid's side as Diego Simeone's men seek to boost their Liga title hopes when they visit struggling Granada this weekend.

It has been 42 years since Granada overcame Atletico, with the capital club enjoying a 13-game unbeaten run against the Andalusian side.

Recent form offers the hosts little cause for optimism either, with Jose Ramon Sandoval's 17th-placed side reeling from Tuesday's shock 2-1 Copa del Rey loss to second-tier Leganes.

Indeed, Sandoval has overseen just two wins this season – away to Getafe and versus Athletic Bilbao at the Estadio Nuevo Los Carmenes – so Atletico, who are unbeaten in 11 and eyeing a sixth victory on the bounce in all competitions, will sense an opportunity.

The visitors have been characteristically assured in defence this season, conceding just six goals in 13 league matches with only two of those coming on the road, while Granada have drawn a blank in seven of their last eight meetings with Atletico.

Sandoval may have hoped the injury-enforced absence of midfield star Tiago Mendes – who broke his leg in last weekend's 1-0 victory over Espanyol – would weaken Atletico, but his replacement Saul Niguez scored the decisive goal in the midweek 2-1 Copa win over Reus Deportiu to underline their strength in depth.

Atletico received a further boost this week with the news that defensive mainstay Juanfran had agreed a new deal. The full-back has helped the club to secure La Liga, Copa del Rey and Europa League honours since arriving from from Osasuna in 2011 and will now remain in the capital until 2018.

The 30-year-old looks certain to start against Granada, as does in-form France attacker Antoine Griezmann, who has netted six top-flight goals this season, while Gabi returns from suspension.

Forward Jackson Martinez will again miss out, although the Colombia international is reportedly recovering well from ankle and knee problems and is on track to return to the fray before Christmas.

Granada, meanwhile, are set to be without suspended midfielder Javi Marquez, with Ruben Perez ready to deputise.

Key Opta Stats:

- Granada have gone 13 La Liga games without a win against Atletico Madrid (D4 L9). Their last victory over Atletico came in 1973 (1-0).

- In nine out of those 13 games, Atletico kept a clean sheet against the Andalusian side.

- Atletico have lost just one of their last 14 away games in the top-flight (W7 D6), keeping nine clean sheets in that run.

- Atletico have kept the most clean sheets in La Liga so far (8).

- Granada have seen the most cards in La Liga so far (Y46 R3).

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman alerts Neville to Valencia concerns

5 December 2015

969321header.jpg

Ronald Koeman has warned Gary Neville, declaring the Valencia coaching job as "extremely complicated" following his appointment on Wednesday.

Southampton manager Koeman lasted just six months at the Mestalla despite lifting the Copa del Rey trophy with a 3-1 triumph over Getafe.

The Dutch boss exited the post in April 2008 following a 5-1 defeat to Athletic Bilbao and Koeman has warned the England assistant about the challenges he should expect to face.

"It's a very difficult place to manage," Koeman said.

"When I was there it was extremely complicated, nothing worked. And it is still complicated now.

"It is important to learn the language. Does he speak it? I don't know. He has his brother [Phil] there but it is not the same if someone has to translate for you. Even so, working with his brother will be special."

Neville will take charge of the La Liga outfit following their home fixture with league leaders Barcelona on Saturday.

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Barca´s lead cut as Madrid, Atletico win

6 December 2015 00:06

969830header.jpg

Barcelona drew 1-1 with Valencia and saw their advantage at the top of La Liga cut to just two points on Saturday, with Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid closing in.

Former Manchester United and England defender Gary Nevilla has been appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo's replacement as Valencia coach, but interim boss Voro was the mastermind of the draw with the Catalan giants.

After an entertaining first half at Estadio Mestalla, Luis Suarez opened the scoring for the visitors in the 59th minute when he latched onto Lionel Messi's pass and converted for the 13th time in as many Liga appearances this term.

However, Valencia salvaged a point four minutes from the final whistle when Paco Alcacer showed a great touch to bring down a long ball forward on his chest before taking two defenders out of play and teeing up Santi Mina to slam home the equaliser.

The result meant Atletico moved to within two points of Luis Enrique's side, the 2013-14 champions having extended their unbeaten run in La Liga to eight games with a 2-0 win at Granada.

Diego Godin opened the scoring for Diego Simeone's side but it was not until the 76th minute that the win was secured, with Antoine Griezmann grabbing the second.

Madrid kept pace with their city-rivals as Karim Benzema, Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo were all on target in the same match for the first time this season as they comfortably beat Getafe 4-1.

However, there were sounds of discontent in the stands at the Santiago Bernabeu when Alexis headed in a consolation for Fran Escriba's side following a tame second-half showing.

Celta Vigo were unable to hold on to a one-goal advantage following Jonny Castro's second-half dismissal at Real Betis, with substitute Jorge Molina earning Pepe Mel's team a point in a 1-1 draw by scoring late on.

Sevilla also had to come from behind to secure a 1-1 draw as Vicente Iborra cancelled out Lucas Perez's opener at Estadio Riazor.

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valencia fan passes away after collapsing at Barcelona game

6 December 2015 23:16

970324header.jpg

Valencia have confirmed that a supporter has passed away after he collapsed celebrating their late equaliser against Barcelona on Saturday.

Santi Mina netted in the 86th minute to level proceedings at 1-1 against La Liga leaders Barca at the Mestalla, as new Valencia head coach Gary Neville watched on from the stands.

Reports after the match claimed that a fan had collapsed after the celebrations, and Valencia have now released a statement extending their condolences to the, as of yet unnamed, supporter's family.

The statement read: "Valencia were sad to learn of the death of a fan following the match at Mestalla on Saturday.

"The club wishes to extend its deepest condolences to the family and loved ones of the deceased."

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho refuses to rule out Madrid reunion

11 December 2015

972949header.jpg

Jose Mourinho refused to rule out a potential return to Real Madrid, but will only think about other clubs after the end of his Chelsea contract.

Reports in the British media have indicated Madrid are planning a bid to lure Mourinho - who coached the Spanish side from 2010 to 2013 - back to the Santiago Bernabeu.

Madrid boss Rafael Benitez has come under pressure following their 4-0 Clasico defeat to Barcelona and expulsion from the Copa del Rey for fielding an ineligible player.

Mourinho himself has been the subject of intense scrutiny, with Chelsea languishing a lowly 14th in the Premier League table, just two points above the relegation zone.

The Portuguese's contract at Stamford Bridge runs until June 2019.

Asked if he imagined himself coaching Madrid again, he replied: "I imagine myself finishing my contract with Chelsea, I have three-and-a-half years left on my contract. [Afterwards] I imagine myself managing every club."

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

´I always knew when I couldn´t play´ - Figo bemused by Cheryshev incident

10 December 2015

972433header.jpg

Former Real Madrid star Luis Figo admits he has been left bemused by the Denis Cheryshev incident which saw the club thrown out of the Copa del Rey.

The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) confirmed last week that Madrid have been expelled from the tournament with immediate effect after Cadiz raised a complaint over Cheryshev's appearance in the first-leg encounter, with the 24-year-old starting the match despite having not served a ban accrued following three yellow cards in the Copa last season.

Both Madrid and Cheryshev complained they had not been made aware of the sanction and were therefore innocent of any transgression, with the club having confirmed they will appeal the RFEF's decision.

Figo, however, cannot understand how any misunderstanding over a suspension came about, saying at a charity event: "In my time, I don't think there was a person who was responsible for that situation. I, at least, if I were ever punished, knew that I couldn't play."

Former Portugal international Figo had put himself forward as a candidate to succeed Sepp Blatter as FIFA president but pulled out of the race after describing the election campaign as "a plebiscite for the delivery of absolute power to one man".

The ex-Barcelona winger has not ruled out standing for the position in future, however, adding: "At this moment I'm not a candidate. Everyone said to me that I was very young, so I still have time to get to that position."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo won´t rule out Barcelona switch

10 December 2015

972703header.jpg

Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo has not ruled out the possibility of a sensational move to the club's arch-rivals Barcelona, but admits the chances of it happening are "almost impossible".

The Portugal international says "everything is open" as he continues to be questioned about where he could end up in the future.

Ronaldo has been linked with Paris Saint-Germain in recent weeks, but laughed it off on Tuesday as nothing more than speculation.

However, when asked about a switch to Camp Nou or back to Old Trafford to rejoin Manchester United, Ronaldo refused to rule anything out.

"It's a little more difficult," he told the Associated Press.

"There are things that you kind of already have an idea, that to play one day for Barcelona would be almost impossible, or to play for another English club other than Manchester, it's very complicated.

"But that's not 100 per cent guaranteed. As I said before, there are no certainties in football. Everything is open, all leagues.

"I may end my career here with Real Madrid. I'm just being honest. I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. If I was 75 per cent certain, I would say so, it wouldn't be a problem. But I have no idea."

Ronaldo's current contract at Madrid runs until the end of the 2017-18 season and the 30-year-old hinted he could be interested in a move to MLS.

"Right now I don't see myself playing in the American league, but that's right now," he said. "In two or three years I may think differently.

"As a football professional, this is always an unknown, so I prefer to stay in the present.

"The present is good and I'm enjoying being at Real Madrid. But in a few years I don't know how I'm going to be thinking.

"When it's closer to ending my contract I'm going to have to make decisions, whether it's staying at Real Madrid or going to another club or ending my career in a few years.

"It's normal. That's why I'm not worried, because I know that everything has a beginning and everything has an end.

"I'm ready for that. I'm ready to stay at Real Madrid, to leave, to end my career when it's time. It's part of my job."

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique: There is nothing wrong with Messi

11 December 2015

972913header.jpeg

Barcelona boss Luis Enrique insists there is "nothing wrong" with Lionel Messi despite fears the Argentina captain was carrying an injury.

Messi was seen clutching the back of his leg during Barca's 1-1 Champions League draw at Bayer Leverkusen on Wednesday and skipped training on Thursday due to "personal reasons".

That sparked concerns over Messi's fitness but Luis Enrique has confirmed the forward is fine and he now appears set to start the weekend clash with Deportivo La Coruna.

"Here we go with routine questions as always. No, Leo is fine, there's nothing wrong with him at all," he said at Friday's media conference.

Barca earlier showed a video of Messi walking out on to the training field for Friday's session alongside team-mate Luis Suarez.

Following the Depor clash at Camp Nou, the European champions fly out to Japan for the FIFA Club World Cup with Barca scheduled to play either Club America or Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao in Thursday's semi-final.

It remains to be seen whether Messi's fellow forward Neymar will be on the plane. The Brazil star suffered a groin injury in training ahead of the game against Leverkusen, although Luis Enrique claims he is in good spirits.

"Any injured player will be upset as it’s a tough blow," he added. "But he's generally okay.

"I’m always optimistic but the most important thing is to recover properly. I understand he’s excited about Japan but for me the most important thing is to be 100 per cent fit.

"I’d like everyone to play but let’s just take things step by step."

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique urges Barcelona to cope without ´magical´ Neymar

11 December 2015

972927header.jpg

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has challenged his side to deal with Neymar's absence after the forward sustained a groin injury in midweek.

Neymar pulled up in training on Tuesday prior to Barca's 1-1 draw with Bayer Leverkusen a day later and will miss this weekend's visit of Deportivo La Coruna to Camp Nou.

Strike partner Lionel Messi has shaken off a hamstring problem but Neymar is a doubt for the Club World Cup - with Barca travelling to Japan ahead of Thursday's semi-final with Club America or Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao.

"There are always important players who are injured but it's bad news whoever's injured," Luis Enrique said on Friday.

"What do we lose? A lot of things, individually it's hard to compare players like Neymar with others but we have to find other solutions and make his absence noted as little as possible.

"It's a question of looking through a global prism and adapting to his absence.

"[His season has been] very positive, but even last season and his first year he's always been playing top-quality football.

"In his second season he set some fantastic stats and he's continued to contribute a lot. He's adapting very well to what this team needs. He's a magical player who's going to go down in football history.

"As well as everything he does for the team, he also scores goals so I'm very happy with what he's doing."

Barca have struggled with injuries this term but sit two points clear at the top of La Liga and could welcome back Sergi Roberto (ankle) and Jeremy Mathieu (thigh) this weekend.

Asked whether Sergi Roberto's injury had derailed his breakthrough season at Barca, Luis Enrique added: "No I don't think it's going to change his spirit. It's a part of football, you have to put up with knocks.

"Sergi Roberto is a quality player. In midfield we've had trouble this season. It's always been a dificult area so it's good news he's recovering. Mathieu as well.

"Sergi Roberto is a very versatile player and he's a player who can support the attack, he drops into defence and he reads the game well - he knows how to create pressure.

"He's an essential player to have and that's just the start of his virtues."

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Deportivo stun Barca, super-sub saves Sevilla

12 December 2015

973846header.jpg

A late comeback from Deportivo la Coruna saw Barcelona drop their first points at home in La Liga this season.

A brilliant Lionel Messi free-kick and a ferocious strike from Ivan Rakitic put the champions in control at Camp Nou, but Lucas Perez struck 13 minutes from time to give Deportivo hope.

Perez teed up Alex Bergantinos to fire home a superb leveller with just four minutes to play to give Deportivo a repeat of their 2-2 draw on the same ground at the end of last season and leave Luis Enrique's side feeling shaken ahead of their Club World Cup semi-final next week.

Celta Vigo continued their pursuit of the top three with a 1-0 win over Espanyol but lost star winger Nolito to a late injury.

Iago Aspas' fine strike proved enough for the home side at Balaidos despite the sending-off of Pablo Hernandez just after half-time, as Espanyol suffered their fourth away defeat in a row.

But Celta will be concerned after Nolito limped off in the closing minutes, with head coach Eduardo Berizzo confirming he will face a scan on a potential thigh muscle problem early next week.

Sevilla followed up their Champions League win over Juventus with a 2-0 victory over Sporting Gijon thanks to substitute Kevin Gameiro's double.

The French striker converted a penalty on 75 minutes after Fernando Llorente was fouled by Luis Hernandez, who was subsequently sent off for a second yellow card.

And Gameiro headed in Yevhen Konoplyanka's cross five minutes later to seal the win which takes Sevilla to within a point of sixth-placed Deportivo.

Willian Jose was the hero for Las Palmas as his last-gasp winner ensured a 1-0 victory over Real Betis which lifts the Canary Islanders off the foot of the table.

The 24-year-old's brilliant turn and fine finish inside the area sealed just a third win of the season for Las Palmas and lifted them to 18th place.

Levante are now propping up Spain's top flight after losing 2-1 at home to Granada, who are themselves now a point above the drop zone.

Adalberto Penaranda's first goal in La Liga was cancelled out by Simao Mate, but the 18-year-old struck again with just two minutes to play to seal the win.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Atletico win to join Barca at the top as Real Madrid lose

13 December 2015

974310header.jpg

Atletico Madrid came from behind to beat Athletic Bilbao 2-1 and move level on points with Barcelona at La Liga's summit, while Real Madrid lost 1-0 at Villarreal on Sunday.

Roberto Soldado put Marcelino's men into a shock early lead at El Madrigal and despite creating a host of chances, Rafael Benitez's side could not find an equaliser.

Karim Benzema was particularly guilty of failing to take his opportunities in his first game since being suspended from the France national team.

Madrid's defeat leaves them five points off the top of the La Liga table after 15 matches of the season, while Villarreal are in fifth place.

Antoine Griezmann smashed in a sensational winner to hand Diego Simeone's Atleti an eighth straight win in all competitions, a result that took advantage of Barcelona's 2-2 draw with Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday.

The visitors had taken a deserved lead when Aymeric Laporte turned in a corner, but another set piece provided the equaliser when Saul headed home Koke's cross.

Griezmann's brilliant finish, his 13th goal of the season, completed a fine comeback for Atletico.

Gary Neville's first league game in charge of Valencia ended 1-1 at Eibar, with both sides reduced to 10 men. A late own goal by David Junca cancelled out Sergi Enrich's first-half goal, while Lucas Orban and Ivan Ramis were both dismissed.

Malaga climbed out of the relegation zone with a 2-1 win at fellow strugglers Real Vallecano, Duje Cop scoring a late winner to send the hosts down into the bottom three.