• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ La Liga Season 2015-16 ★

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benitez has thrown Kroos under the bus - Schuster

14 December 2015

974404header.jpg

Former Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster claims Rafael Benitez threw Toni Kroos "under the bus" after the German midfielder was left on the bench against Villarreal.

Kroos was an unused substitute in Madrid's shock 1-0 loss at Villarreal on Sunday, with Benitez preferring Casemiro alongside James Rodriguez and Luka Modric in midfield.

Benitez was prickly when asked why he left Kroos on the bench, replying: "He didn't play because Casemiro did."

And Schuster, who coached Madrid in 2007-08, hit out at the under-pressure Spaniard post-match.

"Benitez has thrown Kroos under the bus," Schuster told Onda Cero.

Roberto Soldado's eighth-minute strike was all that separated the two teams as Madrid suffered their third defeat in five La Liga matches.

Third-placed Madrid are now five points adrift of Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neville not interested in coaching Manchester United

13 December 2015

973955header.jpg

Gary Neville does not see himself coaching Manchester United in the future.

The 40-year-old, who was appointed as Valencia coach in his first senior position earlier this month, came through the Old Trafford academy and spent 19 years at the club.

However, he does not see himself returning to United in a managerial capacity in the future and is simply focused on helping his new club develop.

"No, I don't see myself managing Manchester United at all. I know what I want to do in my life, and that's not something that's in my mind," Neville told Sky Sports.

"From my point of view, this is important for me and a valuable experience. I'm aware I need to succeed. Succeeding for me would be knowing these players have improved dramatically.

"Results come and go, I know we're in a results-driven business, but I have never looked at football like that since I've finished playing.

"I did when I was a player. As a part-owner [of Salford City], I think about moving forward in the next five, 10 years."

Valencia suffered Champions League elimination in the Englishman's first game at the helm in midweek, losing 2-0 to Lyon in a defensively vulnerable performance.

Neville insists he will continue to play in an attacking style but wants his team to be able to play under a variety of tactics.

"[I want] a front-foot team, one that pressurizes and wins the ball as high up the pitch as possible," he added.

"One that plays quickly, with a high tempo. One that goes forward, but with a little bit more sense than we did against Lyon.

"But I'd prefer that be that way than with a group of older players that drop towards their own box. I can work with that, the intent is there to attack, to do the positives things.

"We can always come back, rather than thinking we've got to push them up the pitch, which is the hardest thing to do.

"There are some coaches who have a huge emphasis on possession. I have a huge emphasis on possession but I like to counter-attack as well.

"So I don't say I'm a possession coach or counter-attack. I'm not a one-style coach."

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo: I like Madrid more than Paris

17 December 2015 13:49

976342header.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo is "not thinking of living in Paris", but admits he could change his mind in the future.

The Real Madrid forward has been linked with a move to Ligue 1 side Paris Saint-Germain, although he personally dismissed any transfer talk as nothing more than speculation.

While the Portuguese does have family connections in France, he prefers his current home of Madrid over the French capital.

"I like Madrid more than Paris. But, maybe one day, things will change," he told Visao.

"Maybe I miss a girlfriend in Paris and spend more time there.

"I have family working in France, but I'm not thinking of living in Paris. It's a beautiful city, I've been there a few times."

Ronaldo also admitted in the interview that he relishes being a role model to others, while also announcing he will continue to work hard for the remainder of his career before moving into "another life".

"I love being an example in my profession. I've always tried to represent my country in the best way and do my own job perfectly," he added.

"I want my brand to continue to grow because I know that the world of football will finish in five or 10 years. After that, there's another life."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

If I was gay, I´d say so - Dos Santos

17 December 2015 03:17

976162header.jpg

Jonathan dos Santos has denied he is gay following reports from Mexico suggesting he is in a relationship with Villarreal team-mate Mateo Musacchio.

TV Notas reported that Dos Santos, 25, had been romantically involved with Argentine defender Musacchio for the past seven months.

However, Dos Santos put the rumours to bed and said that if he was homosexual, he would say so.

"To the media, if I was gay I would have no problem in saying so. Invent something else. Don't promote discrimination or sensationalism," he wrote via Twitter.

Dos Santos is a 17-time Mexico international and came through Barcelona's famous youth academy before moving to Villarreal in 2014.

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Suarez exit cost Rodgers Liverpool job - Poyet

16 December 2015 13:49

975727header.jpg

Brendan Rodgers would likely still be manager of Liverpool had Luis Suarez not been sold to Barcelona, according to former Uruguay international Gus Poyet.

Liverpool finished just two points behind champions Manchester City in 2013-14, with Suarez scoring 31 goals en route to winning the Premier League and PFA player of the year awards.

Suarez subsequently left Anfield to join Barcelona and lifted the treble with the Catalans in 2014-15, while Liverpool have since replaced Rogders with Jurgen Klopp following disappointing results in the past year.

Poyet has hailed his compatriot for making "football history" alongside Lionel Messi and Neymar at Barca and believes his departure ultimately spelled the end for Rodgers' time in charge at Anfield.

"Luis left Uruguay and moved to Dutch football, which has certain significance at a world-wide level, but his move to Liverpool put him on a higher level than many. Today he is playing a part in one of the most important trios in football history. That makes him very special," he told Omnisport.

"In England he did good things in his first year, but his second year, he was unique. Some people misunderstood my words when I said that Liverpool almost won the Premier League thanks to Luis Suarez. I just wanted to demonstrate in England the significance of Luis Suarez on the pitch. I wasn't going against Liverpool.

"It happens in any part of the world. Napoli won the league when [Diego] Maradona was playing there. This doesn't mean that I am saying that Napoli is nothing without Maradona. It is still Napoli, a great team. But it has been demonstrated that with Suarez, Liverpool was a better team.

"People take it wrongly if they think I am talking bad about Liverpool, I just gave my opinion about a special player. His departure has cost Liverpool a lot. Among other things, probably Brendan Rodgers' job. Maybe if Suarez was still playing for Liverpool, Brendan Rodgers would be the coach today."

Suarez has courted controversy throughout his playing career, having been sanctioned for three separate incidents of biting opponents - one of which occurred at the 2014 World Cup and saw him unable to make his Barca debut until October last year - and caught up in a racism row involving then-Manchester United defender Patrice Evra in 2011.

Poyet believes such events have often worked against him in terms of recognition within the wider footballing world, but he hopes to see Suarez honoured with a place in the final three nominees for the Ballon d'Or before he retires, after he missed out to Messi, Neymar and Cristiano Ronaldo this year.

"It can be possible," he said of his Ballon d'Or chances. "I think many things happened during the year that did not help Luis at all, everything that happened with the national team and the suspension.

"There were moments in history when you could easily choose the best player in the world: when Pele was there it was him. After it was Maradona. Now we talk about Messi, Ronaldo... And now has come Neymar and then it appears Suarez to his great level.

"There are many great players. That makes the competition beautiful, but makes it difficult to choose only three. As a Uruguayan, a friend, and a football fan I would have liked to see him among the best three players in the world. I think he deserves it after those years playing against many people that have tried to go against him. Sometimes he has suffered injustice for his personality. It will be nice if he gets the recognition that he deserves."

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neville: Still work to do at Valencia

17 December 2015 07:12

976179header.jpg

Gary Neville feels there is still room for improvement after picking up his first win as Valencia coach on Wednesday.

Valencia booked their place in the round of 16 of the Copa del Rey after a 2-0 win over Barakaldo saw them complete a 5-1 aggregate victory.

Santi Mina opened the scoring for the La Liga side after just eight minutes before Alvaro Negredo scored his first goal since the end of August on 31 minutes.

It was Neville's third match as Valencia coach after he took over from Nuno Espirito Santo at the start of December.

Neville was content with the win but knows there is still a lot of work to do.

"I'm happy with the result. As a coach you always think in what things you can improve and what you did do well," Neville said.

"There were some things we could have done better tonight and some things we did well. In the second half, we improved a lot in playing out from the back.

"In games of football, it's actually more difficult to play out from the back in the first half because the team you're playing against has more energy.

"In the second half, the game becomes a little more open. In that sense, maybe that's a natural course but it's definitely something we're working on and we'll speak to the players about.

"The talent is there, the ability is there, it's just making sure we do it consistently."

The 40-year-old was also asked about the comparisons between La Liga and the Premier League, but it was a question he could not answer.

"Both leagues are excellent but after a week it's too early for me to come to that conclusion in terms of clear comparisons," Neville said.

"The game against Eibar on Sunday was my first game in La Liga and I think there were quite a lot of comparisons in that much. But that was just one game.

"Ask me that question in two months' time and I'll tell you the answer."

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tranquillity doesn´t exist as Madrid coach – Figo

17 December 2015 03:55

976164header.jpg

Former Real Madrid star Luis Figo said tranquillity does not exist when you are coach of the Spanish giants.

Pressure is growing on Rafael Benitez after several poor results in the past month.

The side suffered a shock loss against Villarreal on the weekend, missing the opportunity to close the gap on league leaders Barcelona.

Reports have suggested Benitez's sacking is imminent, with Zinedine Zidane lined up to be his replacement

Speaking on Onda Cero, Figo warned of the pressures that come with being in charge of the Madrid squad.

"Tranquillity in this team does not exist for any manager because the squad depends on constant results, so when you come to this club you have to be conscious of that," he said.

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Madrid rampant, Atletico slip up

20 December 2015

978413header.jpg

Atletico Madrid missed out on the chance to replace Barcelona atop the La Liga table as they slumped to a 1-0 defeat against relegation-threatened Malaga.

With Barcelona inactive due to their Club World Cup commitments, even a point would have been enough to send Diego Simeone's men into the Christmas break as outright league leaders.

But instead they lost Gabi to a red card early in the second half and were condemned to their first defeat in 16 games by a goal from Brazilian striker Charles four minutes from time on Sunday.

Real Madrid remain third but certainly turned on the style as they trounced struggling Rayo Vallecano 10-2 at the Bernabeu.

Gareth Bale stole the headlines by helping himself to four goals, with the visitors imploding after losing Tito and Raul Baena to red cards within the opening 30 minutes.

Karim Benzema grabbed a hat-trick for the hosts, with Cristiano Ronaldo claiming two.

Danilo scored Madrid's other goal in the third minute, only for Rayo to hit back through Antonio Amaya and Jozabed, much to the dismay of the home fans.

But once the visitors were reduced to nine men, Rafael Benitez's side ran riot.

Celta Vigo - fourth in the standings - extended their unbeaten run in all competitions to six games with a 2-0 win at Granada.

First-half goals from Fabian Orellana and Iago Aspas proved enough to clinch the points for Eduardo Berizzo's men at Estadio Los Carmenes.

The victory keeps Celta a point clear of fifth-placed Villarreal, who won 2-0 at Real Sociedad.

Midfielder Denis Suarez scored both of his side's goals, the second coming two minutes from time.

Levante, meanwhile, will spend Christmas propping up the table after losing 1-0 at Athletic Bilbao.

They pushed the hosts hard at San Mames, but were ultimately undone by Mikel San Jose's headed goal and a late strike from Inaki Williams.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi defended by River president after fan attack

21 December 2015

978767header.jpg

Lionel Messi's treatment at the hand of 'some idiot' River Plate fans at Tokyo-Narita airport has been criticised by the Argentine club's president, Rodolfo D'Onforio.

Barcelona star Messi found the back of the net as the European champions overcame River 3-0 in Sunday's Club World Cup final in Yokohama.

Upon their departure from Japan, Luis Enrique's side were heckled by River fans, with one reportedly going to the extent of spitting at Messi.

The River president was disappointed by the reports and only had praise for the Barca attacker.

"There's always some idiot, to put it mildly. I've just read that Messi had problems in the airport with some fan," D'Onforio told FOX Sports.

"Messi is a gentleman. When he scored the goal he raised his hands apologising.

"He congratulated the club for having got where we did, and he told me that when he was a youngster he was on the verge of becoming a River player.

"So I applaud him. You need to know how to lose and when to recognise the other team were better."

River coach Marcelo Gallardo was disappointed with the lack of respect shown to Messi.

"I did not see the incident, but I reject that attitude - it's out of place," he told Ole.

"He is a footballer born in our county, the best in the world and who plays for Argentina. Give him the respect he deserves."

Opposition fans also taunted Javier Mascherano, but D'Onforio is hoping to entice him back to El Monumental.

"We were talking with Mascherano and of course we are trying to seduce him to return," he added.

"He ended a cycle in which he has won everything. I feel we need to strengthen the team. You cannot retain players who have won everything."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

´We´re just the pawns here, Perez is the king´ - Ramos

21 December 2015

978505header.jpg

Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos and his team-mates support president Florentino Perez after insisting "we're just the pawns here, he is the king".

Ramos was responding to comments made by Perez last month, when he said embattled Madrid coach Rafael Benitez was "the solution, not the problem" with the Spanish capital club third in La Liga.

Speaking after Madrid's remarkable 10-2 rout of nine-man Rayo Vallecano on Sunday, Ramos told reporters: "If that's what the president says then he has his reasons.

"We're just the pawns here, he's the king."

Ramos added: "We all support the manager. He tries to bring his own ideas and we try to execute them, every player tries to do it in his own way.

"It doesn't always come off, but the least you have to do is give it your all and leave everything on the pitch."

Ramos was also quizzed about an incident involving Madrid team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ronaldo netted a brace in the win at Santiago Bernabeu, however he appeared to gesture towards the stands in an attempt to stop the fans whistling after the club initially trailed 2-1.

"Sometimes players are free to express their feelings. He always says what he thinks," Ramos said.

"When we needed support most from the fans we got whistles, sometimes you need a little love.

"People single you out when they think you're not giving your all. When they see you giving it all you have they don't get on your case.

"If you're losing to Rayo after 10 minutes in the Bernabeu, they get on top of you and try to get a reaction out of the players. Some people even say that we could have lost, but I have no doubt that we’d have got it back."

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti the right man for Bayern - Magath

21 December 2015

978766header.jpg

Former Bayern Munich coach Felix Magath believes the reigning Bundesliga champions have made the right choice by naming Carlo Ancelotti as Pep Guardiola's successor and is confident the Spaniard's impending departure will not affect the club's form in the second half of the season.

The Bavarians announced at the weekend that Guardiola will not extend his contract beyond the end of the season and immediately named Ancelotti as the man to take over.

"There is clarity at last about who will be Bayern's coach next season. The fact that Guardiola will leave will not affect the team, though," Magath told TZ.

"Of course, the players will discuss it among each other. But in the end they all want to win titles - and impress the new coach in the process.

"Ancelotti is a great choice as the new coach. A coach who has won the Champions League on three occasions automatically commands a lot of respect.

"And he has shown at Real Madrid with Cristiano Ronaldo that he does not have any problems dealing with major stars."

The 56-year-old Ancelotti last worked at Real Madrid between 2013 and 2015, but got the sack after the Santiago Bernabeu side failed to win any major trophies in his second season in charge.

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Santos accuse Barcelona of using Neymar ´smokescreen´

24 December 2015

980139header.jpg

Santos have accused Barcelona of using a "smokescreen" to avoid paying an supposed €2million clause in Neymar's contract after the player was named on the Ballon d'Or shortlist.

The Brazil international joined the Spanish champions in 2013 but some details of the move have proven a source of contention, with Santos having filed a complaint with FIFA over the transfer.

Santos claim they are due an extra €2m as Neymar was named on the shortlist for the Ballon d'Or this year.

However, Barca are alleged to have leaked a letter to the media this month suggesting they will not pay the bonus while the overall terms of the initial deal remain under investigation.

And this week Santos released a statement accusing Barca of using a smokescreen to avoid the payment.

"Santos Futebol Clube (SFC) wishes to respond publicly to fans' questions raised following the recent publication of a purported letter of FC Barcelona ("FCB") dated December 14, 2015," the Brazilian club said.

"The original letter was never received by SFC and SFC could not disagree more with its contents.

"SFC demands the respect of the confidentiality that rules FIFA's arbitration procedure and urges the involved parties to abstain themselves from violating that obligation of confidentiality.

"On the other hand, in another clear example of legal unfulfilment, it seems that FC Barcelona (FCB) says in its letter that it won't carry out the payment owed to SFC, following Neymar Jr’s nomination as a FIFA World Player finalist.

"The formal impediments supposedly aforementioned by FCB in order to make the payment do not exist in reality. Consequently, FCB is merely using smokescreens to avoid their legal obligations."

Santos closed their statement by warning that they will "adopt as many measures as necessary" to claim money they feel owed to them, once an official response is received from the Catalan club.

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Figo backs Zidane to be future Madrid boss

24 December 2015

980283header.jpg

Former Real Madrid star Luis Figo believes Zinedine Zidane could coach the Spanish giants in the future and warned current boss Rafael Benitez that he cannot expect time to win over the club's fans.

Benitez has endured an uneasy relationship with the Santiago Bernabeu faithful since they saw Barcelona romp to a 4-0 Clasico victory in November, with some subsequent wins – including a remarkable 10-2 triumph over Rayo Vallecano – doing little for the ex-Liverpool manager's popularity.

Zidane, who coaches Real Madrid Castilla, has been tipped as a possible replacement for Benitez and Figo believes his former team-mate harbours the ambition to take on one of the most high-pressure jobs in world football.

"I think so, it's one of his goals," he told Omnisport. "So if you want to be a coach and he's now coaching the second team… I think in his head it's the objective and the goal to one day to coach the first team.

"So I don't know. It's always depending on the opportunities – if they give you the responsibility or not."

On Benitez's predicament, Figo added: "Madrid is a club where you don't have time. You always have to win.

"So it depends on the people who take the decision if they're going to give him more time or not."

Figo infamously swapped Barcelona for Real Madrid in a deeply controversial July 2000 transfer.

At Camp Nou he played alongside Pep Guardiola, now the hottest property in football coaching following the announcement he will leave Bayern Munich in search of a new challenge at the end of this season.

Leading Premier League clubs Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea have all been linked with Guardiola's signature and Figo believes the ex-Barca boss will continue to excel in the game's elite-club coaching roles.

"Pep has his philosophy of football and I think he dies with that philosophy and he tries to implement that philosophy in the clubs that he's coached," he explained.

"I think when you arrive at that level of coach there's not so many options in the projects of the top clubs. So I think we can count with your fingers the clubs that he's going to have the option to coach. I don't think it's too difficult to guess where he's going to go."

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona appeal flag sanctions to CAS

23 December 2015

979627header.jpg

Barcelona will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) after UEFA rejected their case relating to the presence of flags and slogans in favour of Catalan independence during a Champions League game in September.

The flags and slogans were seen and heard at Camp Nou during Barca's 2-1 win over Bayer Leverkusen, with the Spanish champions having already been fined for a similar incident during May's Champions League final in Berlin.

UEFA regulations forbid messages of a "political, ideological, religious, offensive or provocative nature".

Barca confirmed in a statement that UEFA had rejected their appeal and the club will now take the case to CAS.

"UEFA has notified FC Barcelona and the RFEF [Spanish Football Association] of the decision not to consider the appeal filed by the club relating to sanctions for the shouts of independence and esteladas that were exhibited at the Camp Nou in the Champions League against Bayer Leverkusen," read the statement.

"As planned, FC Barcelona will immediately present an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport."

Jordi Mestre - a vice-president of the club - previously confirmed plans to continue with their appeals, telling reporters in October: "We will continue to defend the interests of the club and we'll see what happens, we are not in the least happy."

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico unwilling to rule out Costa return

27 December 2015 02:20

981047header.jpg

Chelsea striker Diego Costa could yet make an Atletico Madrid return, according to the La Liga club's president.

The Spain international finally found some form on Saturday, scoring a brace in Chelsea's 2-2 Premier League draw against Watford.

The 27-year-old has been linked with a return to Atletico, where he starred before his move to England in July 2014.

Atletico president Enrique Cerezo was unwilling to rule out a return for Costa.

"Right now, Diego is a Chelsea player and he has to focus on Chelsea," he told RTVE.

"But you never know what will happen in football and sometimes players do return to their former clubs."

Costa scored 43 league goals in three seasons for Atletico, who sit second in the La Liga table.

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico expect Simeone stay

27 December 2015 05:34

981068header.jpg

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone will remain in charge at the club for a "very long time", according to club president Enrique Cerezo.

The Argentinean has been linked with Chelsea, who will have a new manager at the helm next season after Jose Mourinho's sacking.

Guus Hiddink has taken charge on an interim basis at the struggling Premier League champions.

Simeone has a contract until 2020 with Atletico and Cerezo said he expected the 45-year-old in charge for years to come.

"He will be here with us for as long as he wants," he told RTVE.

"I think we have a coach who will last a very long time and who will be an important part of the history which this team is making."

Atletico sit second to Barcelona in La Liga, while they will face PSV in the round of 16 in the Champions League.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neymar refuses to guarantee Barcelona future

27 December 2015 13:16

981158header.jpg

Barcelona forward Neymar says he is "optimistic" about agreeing a new contract at Camp Nou - but refused to guarantee his long-term future at the club.

Talks over an improved deal with Barca have been rumbling on for a number of weeks despite the Brazil international having three years left to run on his current agreement.

Neymar's father and agent insisted earlier this month that they would agree an extension with the European champions but speculation persists that he could be tempted to move elsewhere, with bitter rivals Real Madrid and Manchester City, tipped to appoint Pep Guardiola as head coach ahead of next season, linked with potential bids.

The 23-year-old says there is no truth in rumours of a move to the Eithad Stadium, but could not give any assurances over his future when speaking to the media at Barcelona airport.

"We're talking about it [my renewal]. I'm optimistic. But I don't know what will happen," he said.

When asked if he would follow Guardiola to City, he replied, laughing: "No, not that," before adding of his long-term future: "I don't know. Life is long."

Brazil icon Pele has criticised Neymar for a lack of all-round team play in recent weeks but the former Santos forward was happy to dismiss it.

"I didn't hear it. Pele can say what he likes, I talk about my work," he said.

Former Barcelona star Ronaldinho has been effusive in his praise, however, describing Neymar as his natural heir for the Brazil senior side.

"He's great, he's a legend. The best Brazilian who's played for Barcelona," Neymar added.

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Deulofeu will not rule out Barcelona return

27 December 2015 12:44

981146header.jpg

Gerard Deulofeu admits the prospect of a return to Barcelona remains firmly in the hands of the European champions.

The 21-year-old moved to Goodison Park on a permanent deal in July but Barca retain the right to buy him back for a fee of €9million after the 2015-16 season, or for €12m the following year.

Deulofeu has enjoyed fine form under Roberto Martinez this term and it was his corner which led to Tom Cleverley's last-gasp winning goal against Newcastle United on Saturday.

When asked after the match whether he would consider taking up the option to rejoin his old club, Deulofeu said: "It's Barca's decision in the future. I'm very happy at Everton. The dressing room is good and we're getting more and more confidence.

"The most important thing now is to play well with Everton every week and to help my team."

Speaking last month, Martinez said he was not worried by the terms of the deal with Barca - especially as Everton are not at risk of losing Deulofeu until at least the end of the season.

"There are certain things in the deal. They can't take him back in the winter, so they can't take him back in January. It can only be at the end of the season. It is €9m for the first year and €12m in the second year," he said.

"If they take him back they can't sell him for a season, so he has to stay in the first-team squad for a season. At the end of that if they decide to sell him we have got first rights of getting him back or we have got a big percentage of that deal.

"There is nothing we can do if they activate it. That was the deal and the only way we could access the player in the terms that we wanted. I'm delighted with the deal."

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benfica to sign Barcelona's Grimaldo

alejandrogrimaldocropped_1x4pcqun4tmmx16xh3bxdpzr3z.jpg

By Russell Greaves
Dec 29, 2015 17:28:15

The youngster had been at Camp Nou since the age of 13 but never made a first-team appearance, after being held back by a cruciate ligament tear

Benfica have agreed a €1.5million deal with Barcelona to sign full-back Alejandro Grimaldo.

The Liga champions announced the news on Tuesday, citing a clause in the agreement that sees Barca retain a sell-on percentage.

Grimaldo, 20, has spent seven years at Camp Nou without making a first-team appearance, coming through the Catalan giants' famous La Masia academy.

He captains the club's B team, but endured a prolonged spell on the sidelines when he tore cruciate ligaments in February 2013.

Benfica won the Primeira Liga last season and Rui Vitoria's men, who will take on Zenit in the last 16 of the Champions League, sit third after 14 matches this term.

Barca's statement did not include a completion date for the transfer.

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone backs Torres to reach 100 goals

diegosimeonefernandotorres-cropped_d057n35krg4zzs3qx82dq2ew.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Dec 29, 2015 17:01:02

The striker is one goal short of reaching three figures for Atletico Madrid, but has struggled for form this season and hasn't scored since September

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone says he expects Fernando Torres to improve and has backed the misfiring striker to reach the 100-goal mark for the club.

Torres has been stuck on 99 goals for Atleti since he last found the net in September but will again go in search of his landmark goal against Rayo Vallecano on Wednesday.

Simeone's men resume their La Liga campaign in second place - level on points with Barcelona, having played a game more - and the Argentinian says there is plenty more to come from his squad.

"I always expect more from all of them, Fernando loves the club and he is an idol," Simeone told reporters.

"He has brought a lot to the club, tomorrow he will play and he is close to the famous 100th goal.

"He always has chances, so he has to continue working as he is and forget the pressure which I do not think is a big problem for him.

"Things will change and go right for him I am sure, when you least expect it."

Jackson Martinez will return to the bench for Simeone after recovering from an ankle sprain as Atleti face a Rayo side beaten 10-2 by Real Madrid before the winter break.

Rayo briefly led at the Santiago Bernabeu and Simeone is wary of Paco Jemez's side, who sit 18th in the table.

"Rayo is a brave side and in attack they can be decisive, we saw that in the first 15 minutes of their last match," he added.

"They had more numbers all over the pitch, they can be dangerous and their braveness can help and hinder them. It is the side that crosses the most from the wings in La Liga and has a good attack.

"Pablo Hernandez is working well, [Roberto] Trashorras also, Lass [Bangoura] can be dangerous. Their last game was different to any other, but Rayo is also different to all other sides.

"They will not change, they have their style like us, or Barcelona, and you have to respect that."