• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

25 September 2013
Last updated at 23:05 GMT

David Moyes: Manchester United boss will 'sort out' club

_70123582_moyesstill2.jpg

Manchester United manager David Moyes insisted he will be a success at the club after steering his side to a League Cup win over Liverpool.

Moyes, 50, replaced Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford in the summer but has had a testing start, with his side in eighth place in the Premier League.

After beating Liverpool to earn a fourth-round tie with Norwich he said: "It's not frustrating. I will sort it.

"I will fix it. I will turn it round. I have no doubt about that."

Moyes saw his side lose to Liverpool and be thrashed 4-1 by rivals Manchester City in a difficult opening start to the Premier League, but has now won five of his first eight games in all competitions - the best start of any new United manager since Matt Busby in 1946.

"Everybody seems to be picking a stat out - I have not won here or I have not done that," former Everton boss Moyes said. "That is one of the good stats.

"I have not had that many good ones. But that is one of the better ones.

"It was a big game for us. We had lost at Anfield a few weeks ago and at the Etihad on Sunday and we wanted to put that right."

Javier Hernandez's goal was enough for Moyes' side to beat Liverpool at Old Trafford, with United hosting West Brom in the Premier League on Saturday.

"Every game is either a first for something or it is a monkey off my back. It is going to be the way, isn't it?" said Moyes.

"Liverpool have started the season well, so to get a result was good."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villa optimistic about Benteke lay-off

1012271_10_preview.jpg

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert is hopeful Christian Benteke could return quicker than initially diagnosed.

Pochettino has faith in Lambert

1011557_10_preview.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino has no concerns about Rickie Lambert's lack of goals and laughed off speculation he would sell the Southampton striker.

AVB has no regrets turning down PSG

954646_10_preview.jpg

Andre Villas-Boas admits it was flattering to be approached by Paris Saint Germain, but has no regrets as he believes Tottenham are more advanced.

Torres: Chelsea competition is "nice"

1007922_10_preview.jpg

Fernando Torres does not believe Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho favours Samuel Eto'o ahead of himself or Demba Ba.

Bruce hopes for progress on Aluko deal

1011681_10_preview.jpg

Hull manager Steve Bruce is crossing his fingers that talks with Sone Aluko over a new contract come to a positive conclusion.

Mourinho battle is secondary, says AVB

1010788_10_preview.jpg

Andre Villas-Boas has played down the importance of his personal battle with Jose Mourinho ahead of Tottenham's meeting with Chelsea.

Butland joins Barnsley on loan from Stoke

838786_10_preview.jpg

Barnsley have drafted in England goalkeeper Jack Butland on loan from Stoke as cover for the injured Luke Steele.

Gouffran determined to prove Magpies worth

1012234_10_preview.jpg

Yoan Gouffran has vowed not to let Newcastle manager Alan Pardew forget about him after serving him with a reminder of his potency.

United moved on from City defeat, says Evans

1012232_10_preview.jpg

Jonny Evans has known the atmosphere at Manchester United's training ground to be worse than it was at start of this week.

Cazorla eyes Arsenal return against West Brom

939560_10_preview.jpg

Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla hopes to be fit for the Barclays Premier League trip to West Brom a week on Sunday.

Suarez damaged Liverpool brand, says Ayre

1012223_10_preview.jpg

Managing director Ian Ayre believes the controversies that have dogged Luis Suarez's Liverpool career have damaged the club's brand.

Gibbs: Arsenal a mixture of pace and quality

1012221_10_preview.jpg

Arsenal's Kieran Gibbs believes the squad now possess enough quality to move up to the "next level".

Wisdom will play where Rodgers needs him

1012219_10_preview.jpg

Liverpool's Andre Wisdom is willing to play wherever manager Brendan Rodgers needs him.

Pardew praises home-grown Magpies duo

1012209_10_preview.jpg

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew hailed the emergence of two potential stars of the future after seeing Paul Dummett and Sammy Ameobi answer his call to arms.

Moyes happy by United reaction

1012200_10_preview.jpg

David Moyes felt it was crucial Manchester United showed the pain they suffered in Sunday's derby defeat to Manchester City in their performance against Liverpool on Wednesday night.

Montagut

Alfrescian
Loyal
migrant said:
I'm a freeloader and a loser because i don't make soccer predictions while lurking in this forum for soccer tips. When results don't go my way, the world owes me a living sigh..
That explains your fucked up character in this forum and your life. :biggrin:

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Deco handed year ban for doping

215421_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Sep 27, 2013 9:23:00 AM

The former Barcelona and Chelsea midfielder has been hit with a 12-month suspension, however it is unlikely to affect the retired midfielder too much

Former Barcelona and Chelsea star Deco has been hit with a one-year ban from football for doping by Brazil's Superior Court of Sport Justice.

The Portugal international tested positive for hydrochlorothiazide (a diuretic) and carboxy-tamoxifen (a hormone drug) in March.

Although originally sentenced to a 30-day ban in the first trial, his suspension has been lengthened enormously on Thursday, with Deco not present at court to hear the verdict.

However, the decision is unlikely to hinder the 36-year-old too much as he announced his retirement from playing professional football in August.

Deco shot to prominence with Porto, where he spent five seasons between 1999 and 2004, winning the Champions League under Jose Mourinho.

A move to Barcelona followed and he won another European crown alongside two Liga titles before a jump to Chelsea in 2008 for two campaigns.

The naturalised Portuguese attacker returned to his homeland with Fluminense in 2010 but called timed on his career this summer ahead of the latest doping verdict.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

JAMIE CARRAGHER: Why I want us all to be Arsenal fans for a season

By JAMIE CARRAGHER PUBLISHED: 21:30 GMT, 27 September 2013 | UPDATED: 22:18 GMT, 27 September 2013

This view will not be popular at White Hart Lane. I don’t expect too many people will agree around Stamford Bridge, in Manchester or on Merseyside, either. But this season, we should all be Arsenal fans.If they are successful, that will mean Arsene Wenger stays in the Premier League. And we need him to stay.This man has had a profound impact on British football and the game here would be poorer without him.

article-2435540-184483E100000578-259_634x434.jpg

Visionary: Arsene Wenger has guided Arsenal to the top of the Premier League after five games

Where would the Premier League be minus Wenger? Clubs would not have been so quick to look for foreign coaches if he had floundered. His success opened the floodgates and since he arrived at Arsenal in 1996, 47 managers from overseas have been appointed by top-flight clubs, compared to 120 British. That is a remarkable figure.There is a case to argue that without Wenger, we might not have had Jose Mourinho, Rafa Benitez, Roberto Mancini or Carlo Ancelotti managing here.Without Wenger, we might never have been dazzled by Thierry Henry, Cesc Fabregas and Robert Pires, and so many other brilliant players who have enhanced our game.

Wenger was responsible for some of the most harrowing and unnerving days of my career.
Arsenal conquered all before them from 2002-2004, culminating in them being called the Invincibles after going unbeaten for a whole season. Outstanding footballers and also supreme athletes — they had everything. When you stood next to them in the tunnel before a game, the panic would roll in.They were the best I ever faced, the only team that left me feeling technically and physically inadequate. From goalkeeper to striker, they were built like tanks. If you tried to tackle them, you would bounce off them. Arsenal were the first team to start using creatine — a supplement to help increase strength and power and aid muscle recovery — and we used to hear how they had changed their diets and took the right vitamins. You couldn’t outmuscle Wenger’s sides, nor could you outplay them.

Playing right back against that Arsenal team was the most difficult job in football at that time. Henry, Ashley Cole and Pires would terrorise you from the left flank, moving the ball at dizzying speeds. So quick was their movement, you didn’t have time to think. It was an awful feeling.
Wenger’s reputation was at its highest then. Having won the Premier League twice, as well as two FA Cups and a pair of Community Shields in a three-year period, you would have been laughed out of town had you suggested he would add only one more prize in the next nine seasons. Arsenal have fallen away because of the huge amount of money at the disposal of Manchester City and Chelsea. Other sides have copied Wenger in buying young players from abroad.

article-2435540-03996A7400000514-842_634x423.jpg

The foreign legion: Managers such as Roberto Mancini (left) and Rafa Benitez (right) followed Wenger's route into the Premier League after building their reputation abroad

article-2435540-006A220B00000258-275_306x423.jpg
article-2435540-007E9ABA1000044C-226_306x423.jpg

Conquerors: Wenger built a team of stars like Robert Pires (right) and Patrick Vieira, who dominated between 2002 and 2004. Thierry Henry (below) spearheaded the Frenchman's attack to devastating effect

article-2435540-00807A481000044C-947_634x491.jpg

'You couldn’t outmuscle Wenger’s sides, nor could you outplay them. Playing right back against that Arsenal team was the most difficult job in football'

On Friday, there was vocal support from majority shareholder Stan Kroenke, but his praise of Wenger should be saved until after Christmas. It’s too early to judge Arsenal, even if they are the League leaders on Saturday morning.Do not doubt that they still have a lot to prove and the most accurate gauge of their potential will be when they lock horns with Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea. One victory over Tottenham — the only side of substance they have faced — is not enough. Arsene should not have a job for life just because of who he is. He wouldn’t expect it to be that way. He phased out Pires and Dennis Bergkamp, remember, when they stopped hitting their numbers.The run of qualifying for the Champions League for the past 16 years has been impressive but why haven’t they been able to add a League Cup or an FA Cup while they have been finishing in the top four? It has not been good enough.

article-2435540-00CE51521000044C-196_634x423.jpg

Struggle: Jamie Carragher (left) trails Henry as the Frenchman clips home his hat-trick goal back in 2004

The inevitable result has been discontent in the stands. I’m sure some Arsenal supporters are fed up with hearing people saying ‘Wenger has done this and that’ — they know their club better than anyone and if they want him to go, fair enough.Those who are frustrated could easily turn on him again — do not forget the angry scenes after they lost to Aston Villa on the opening day, prompting a fans’ group to express their ‘deep concerns’. I was also very critical of Arsenal. It appeared nothing had changed. They looked weak. The arrival of Mesut Ozil, however, coupled with progress in the Champions League, has been revitalising. Ozil was the only top-class player who arrived here during the last window and he has helped make Arsenal the most impressive team in the opening weeks, though things are going to become trickier now, given they have assignments against Swansea and Napoli to negotiate.

article-2435540-1851607200000578-660_634x497.jpg

Revitalised: Summer signing Mesut Ozil (left) chats to Pires during Friday's training session

article-2435540-1BE6BACB000005DC-417_306x423.jpg
article-2435540-181DE29F00000578-880_306x423.jpg

Cover needed: Arsenal may struggle if goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny or Olivier Giroud (left) pick up an injury

Certain areas of the squad must be addressed. They will be in trouble if Olivier Giroud picks up an injury, while surely they should bid for either Real Madrid’s Iker Casillas or Victor Valdes of Barcelona in January to secure the quality goalkeeper they need. I would expect them to finish in the top four again but I would like to see Wenger go for it in January and bring in more quality, so they can really challenge. We should want him to stay, so we can see more of the great football Arsenal play and the players he always produces. We should all be rooting for Arsenal this season. Wenger needs another glorious moment and we should all wish him well. English football owes him.

article-2435540-182EE01600000578-471_634x483.jpg

Tough break: Arsenal now turn their attentions to Swansea before bidding to stop Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuain

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes brands Vidic the 'best ever' and vows to reward United defender with new contract

By IAN LADYMAN
PUBLISHED: 21:52 GMT, 27 September 2013 | UPDATED: 21:52 GMT, 27 September 2013

David Moyes will ask Manchester United to hand Nemanja Vidic a new contract this season after declaring the Old Trafford captain the best defender he has ever worked with.Vidic endured a horror afternoon as United lost 4-1 to neighbours Manchester City last weekend but is expected to play an important role as Moyes's team look to get their season rolling with games against West Brom in the Barclays Premier League today and Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League next week.

article-0-182CCC7B00000578-229_634x529.jpg

Top man: Nemanja Vidic endured a torrid afternoon at the Etihad but David Moyes says he's the best defender he's worked with

Sportsmail revealed last month that Vidic will be invited to talk about a new deal this autumn as his current contract runs out next summer. Now Moyes has revealed that he would like the Serb to agree an extended stay.Moyes said: 'Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja are two top centre halves. Vida is probably the best centre half I have ever worked with. He is that good, he really is.'Rio has really impressed me with how fit he has been. He has not missed a day's training since we have been back.'If you took away the City game you are finding it hard to pick faults in any of them. I didn't know about Vida's contract. I have not looked into it yet. I am sure the chief executive and the club will be doing that.'He's not old. He is a really top centre half. The best I have worked with, that's for sure.' The midweek Capital One Cup win over Liverpool gave Moyes some respite after the horrors of the Etihad and he approaches today's game knowing that the domestic fixtures coming up are more palatable than those over the first six weeks of the season.

article-0-182BCA3C00000578-95_634x606.jpg

Support: Moyes has backed Man United winger Ashley Young

Robin van Persie has recovered from a groin strain, but Moyes may well save him for next week's trip to the Ukraine. United's boss agreed new signing Marouane Fellaini struggled on his Premier League debut at City, but stressed that the Belgian is not quite up to full fitness yet.'I think the game passed several of our players by, and not just Marouane,' Moyes added. 'It would be wrong to pick just one out. I think when I took him he looked a little bit short and not as sharp as I wanted him to be.'He found the tempo of training slightly different and because of that I thought he was a little bit behind.

It is like everybody else in that he is getting to know the club as well. It wasn't just him who didn't come up to scratch.'
Moyes also had words of comfort for Ashley Young - criticised after the City game - and vowed to keep young Belgian winger Adnan Januzaj at United despite interest from other clubs across Europe.'He (Young) didn't play particularly well against City, but as I said you could probably have picked another half-dozen who didn't. Ash is fine. He will be OK.'And we really think an awful lot of Adnan. He is a Manchester United player. I am sure he will stay. He is keen to stay.'

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mata set for Chelsea first-team … if he plays my way - Mourinho

318832_heroa.jpg

Sep 27, 2013 2:36:00 PM

The Special One admits he has been impressed by the way his No.10 has reacted to being dropped and told to up his defensive work rate, and remains hopeful on Ramires' fitness

By Liam Twomey at Cobham

Juan Mata will find himself back in the Chelsea team if he continues to produce the kind of performance he did against Swindon, boss Jose Mourinho has revealed.

Mata has fallen out of favour at Stamford Bridge since the Special One's return in the summer, with Oscar, Eden Hazard and Andre Schurrle preferred for their superior defensive work rate.

But the Spaniard produced a more disciplined display against the Robins on Tuesday evening, and Mourinho admits he has been impressed by his No.10's reaction to being dropped.

When asked if Mata stood a chance of keeping his place for Saturday's clash with Tottenham, the Blues boss replied: "Yes. I liked him [against Swindon].

"We are speaking about a team that is two divisions below us, but professionalism is important no matter who you play against.

"He made a big effort to come in my direction and when he does that, all I can do is go in his direction. From now if he keeps working that way, the football I want, the natural tendency is to be in the team."

Saturday's match at White Hart Lane has been billed as a personal duel between Mourinho and his former protege, Andre Villas-Boas, who spoke coldly of their relationship earlier this week.

But the Special One was in no mood to answer questions on the subject. "I don’t describe [our relationship] because I don’t discuss relationships with the media," he insisted.

"I don’t care what he says, and I’m not going to comment. I’m not interested.

When asked what influence he had on Villas-Boas' managerial career, Mourinho responded: "I have no idea. You have to ask him, it’s not my problem.

"I had so many assistants and was always an open book to all of them trying to do the same with Chris Jones, Steve Holland and the coaches in the academy.

"After that if they want to read the book, it’s not my problem."

The Chelsea manager does, however, believes their summer of transfer activity means Tottenham will mount a serious challenge this season, despite losing Gareth Bale.

"I think they are a big contender," he continued. "They were the champions of the market, all international players with quality. The squad is very good.

"Before there was a bit of a difference between first choice and second line, but in this moment they have two teams.

"I think they have a much better squad now than before, and no one can criticise me for that. You win titles with squads, not a good player, so I think they are bigger contenders than before."

Ramires did not train with the Chelsea squad on Friday, but Mourinho remains hopeful that he can feature on Friday. "I hope he plays and we’re doing everything for him to play," he added.

One man who is definitely out, though, is Marco van Ginkel, who underwent successful surgery on an anterior cruciate ligament injury, but will still be out for six months.

"He had surgery and it went well the doctor is happy, but now he has to wait and wait for a long time," he continued.

"It’s very sad for a kid who was going to an important season for his evolution, but that’s football. We have lost a player for almost the whole season."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League preview

Spurs face Blues; City go to Villa; Black Cats entertain Reds

Last Updated: September 28, 2013 6:52am

Mourinho-Villas-Boas-Chelsea_2954472.jpg

Jose Mourinho and Andre Villas-Boas will renew acquaintances on Saturday

It will be a case of master versus apprentice when Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur lock horns on Saturday lunchtime, while Sunderland continue life post-Paolo Di Canio on home soil against Liverpool.

Swansea City and Arsenal should put on a show to satisfy the purists on Saturday Night Football, while there will be a tale of two cities in the opening encounter of a Super Sunday double-header as Stoke play host to Norwich.

The Premier League weekend kicks off at White Hart Lane, with Tottenham Hotspur's home date with Chelsea expected to see as many eyes fall on the respective dugouts as events unfolding on the field. Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas learnt his coaching trade under the watchful eye of Jose Mourinho, but is now very much his own man and will want to show the self-proclaimed 'Special One' that he took plenty from the time spent as his go-to scout. Spurs' record against the Blues is not the best, to put it mildly - winning just three of 42 Premier League meetings - but they have opened the season in impressive style and boast the meanest defence in the top flight. Chelsea have also kept things tight at the back, conceding only twice, but both sides have struggled at the opposite end of the field and will want to address those issues on derby day.

Manchester City have no such troubles at present, with 12 goals plundered in their last three outings in all competitions. Four of those came during last weekend's derby demolition of Manchester United, with a resounding victory over their fiercest rivals suggesting that all is well in the City camp under new boss Manuel Pellegrini. His next challenge is to keep the momentum going during a trip to Aston Villa. The one criticism of City under Pellegrini would be their performances on the road in the league, and Villa Park has not always been a happy hunting ground for the Blues. Villa have, however, come unstuck in each of their two home league games so far and conceded four in front of their own supporters in a Capital One Cup clash with Tottenham on Tuesday.

Midweek cup duty was a lot kinder to Manchester United - and it needed to be given how things have gone for David Moyes so far. The fixture list has done the new Red Devils boss few favours, but he knows that the expectation at Old Trafford is to win every game, regardless of the opposition. Overcoming Liverpool on Wednesday has helped to ease some of the pressure on his shoulders and United would appear to be a position to really ignite their season. West Bromwich Albion are next on the calendar, before a number of winnable fixtures on paper carry the reigning champions through October. Moyes cannot afford to take the Baggies lightly, though, and a 5-5 draw the last time the two clubs met suggests there could be more fireworks at the Theatre of Dreams on Saturday.

Fulham could do with finding a spark of their own from somewhere, with a slow start having dropped them into the bottom three. Goals are proving to be something of a problem for the Cottagers, which is surprising given the enviable array of attacking talent they have at their disposal. A welcome victory in League Cup competition on Tuesday saw them inflict a first defeat on Everton under Roberto Martinez, so Martin Jol will be hoping that the tide has turned. Cardiff City are the next visitors to the banks of the River Thames - with the Bluebirds having been rocked slightly by a testing opening to life among the top flight heavyweights, but with enough about them to offer hope heading forward that they can start landing a few crushing blows of their own.

Test

West Ham United saw off Cardiff for a second time this season in midweek to secure cup progress, but they have failed to win in the league since ruining the Bluebirds' big day on the opening weekend. Sam Allardyce has had injury problems to contend with, and had every reason to feel hard done by after being left empty-handed against Everton last weekend, but he is in the results business and needs the Hammers to start showing the steely grit his managerial career has been defined by. A trip to Hull City on Saturday will provide another stern test of Allardyce's credentials, with the Tigers unbeaten on home soil so far and buoyed by a productive start to their first campaign back at English football's top table - with seven points collected from five games.

Southampton are one of only seven sides that can better that return, with heavy summer investment at St Mary's providing an immediate return. Mauricio Pochettino will be slightly concerned that his side have mustered just three goals in five outings, but they have suffered only one defeat and collected back-to-back clean sheets. The most recent of those came at Anfield, with Dejan Lovren's header handing the Saints a first success on the red half of Merseyside in almost 10 years. They will be confident of replicating those heroics against Crystal Palace, with the Eagles having been offered a brutal reminder of just how difficult life in the Premier League can be with four defeats in five.

The final game on Saturday, and the setting for Saturday Night Football, sees Swansea City pitch their neat passing game against the top flight benchmark when it comes to possession football. Arsenal have taken up residence at the top of the table after offering the perfect response to a shambolic opening day showing which saw them end a defeat to Aston Villa with 10 men and with terrace taunts ringing in the ears of manager Arsene Wenger. Eight straight victories have been secured in all competitions since then - including a penalty shoot-out success on Wednesday against West Brom - with the likes of Olivier Giroud and Aaron Ramsey back to their best and summer signings Mesut Ozil and Mathieu Flamini highlighting how important they could be to the Gunners cause over the next few months.

Turning the attention to Sunday, and Stoke City will want to pile more misery on Norwich City when the Sky Sports cameras descend on the Britannia Stadium. Mark Hughes knew it would take time to alter the Potters' public image upon inheriting the managerial reins from Tony Pulis, but he would appear to have them heading in the right direction. They will not be the only side to come unstuck at Liverpool and Arsenal this season, and they appear to have lost none of their ability to grind out results when dogged determination is required. Norwich showed against Watford on Wednesday that they also have the ability to dig themselves out of a hole, but they are yet to display such traits on the Premier League stage and will need no reminding of how important it is to start putting points on the board if they are to avoid becoming wedged in a scrap at the wrong end of the division.

After starting with three successive 1-0 victories, Liverpool have now gone three games without a win in all competitions and remain without a goal in the second half of any of their fixtures so far. The return of Luis Suarez to domestic action against Manchester United in midweek should help to reverse that trend, but he is still short on match sharpness and needs to play his way back into top form. He is likely to get another much-needed run-out against Sunderland, making him a leading character in a Stadium of Light soap opera which opened on Sunday evening with the dismissal of Paolo Di Canio after just 175 days in charge. Caretaker coach, and Black Cats legend, Kevin Ball will oversee first team affairs on Sunday, but Sunderland desperately need to find stability from somewhere if they are to shake out of an alarming slump which already has them rooted to the foot of the table with just one point to their name.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League Previews: game-by-game guide to the weekend's action

By Sport Magazine (@Sportmaguk) | Thursday, September 26, 2013

avb-jm.jpg

Tottenham v Chelsea; Saturday, September 28; White Hart Lane; 12.45pm
A master/pupil relationship gone wrong at White Hart Lane in the early Saturday kick-off, as smirking Machiavelli Jose Mourinho brings his fourth-placed Chelsea to face wronged former protege Andre Villas-Boas and his Tottenham team. Keep an eye out for the former walking across the pitch, laughing and holding Willian’s hand, while grinning provocatively at the latter.

Chelsea’s signing of the Brazilian wasn’t motivated solely in order to spite Villas-Boas, but the Spurs boss was livid at how he was snatched away to west London at the last minute. It adds an extra frisson of tension to this already intriguing capital clash.

The approaches of the pragmatic Mourinho and the more expansive Villas-Boas may differ, but both have shared similar league starts: generally, decent results have masked deficiencies.

Spurs are predictably taking time to integrate many new attackers – a particular frustration being the lack of service to Roberto Soldado, clearly an adept finisher. Chelsea have not yet adapted to Mourinho’s plans, as he himself admits. Whisper it quietly but, at this very early stage, they also appear a less exciting team than the one Rafa Benitez built around Juan Mata and David Luiz (both of whom appear persona non grata around Mourinho).

Both clubs have controlled games well, though, and whoever wins that midfield battle may take the honours. Expect this one to be tighter than Neil Ruddock’s Speedos.

Aston Villa v Manchester City; Saturday, September 28; Villa Park; 3pm
Aston Villa are a dangerous counter-attacking team whose league results illustrate perfectly how they set up better away from home (six points from a possible nine) than at home (none from six). There are also doubts over the fitness of their biggest weapon, Christian Benteke. All welcome news to a City side full of attacking options and with Vincent Kompany showing his most imperious form against Man Utd last weekend.

Swansea City v Arsenal; Saturday, September 28; Liberty Stadium; 5.30pm
A match to have fans masticating their pre-match pies with hungry delight, as arguably the league’s two easiest-on-the-eye teams clash. Swansea have avoided a second season drop-off and look as lethal as they did last year, yet with a deeper squad. For Arsenal, all eyes are on Mesut Ozil and his slick adaptation to English football – but key to them winning this tricky tie lies in Aaron Ramsey.Is there a player in the league in better form?

Fulham v Cardiff City; Saturday, September 28; Craven Cottage; 3pm
To the neutral, booing the likeable Martin Jol seems cruel – but look at things through the eyes of Fulham fans, who’ve watched their side coast along in neutral for too long. That promising first half against Chelsea doesn’t hide the fact Fulham look less than the sum of their creative parts right now. Cardiff, obdurate and with keeper David Marshall in superb form, won’t be easy marks, but this is the kind of fixture Jol knows requires a win.

Hull v West Ham; Saturday, September 28; The KC Stadium; 3pm

After that wretchedly timid opener against Chelsea, Hull have settled well this season. Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore have helped them control midfield battles, while Sone Aluko offers a touch of magic. West Ham are light on quality strikers – witness Modibo Maïga’s anaemic display against Everton. They at least showed attacking verve in that match: the form of Ravel Morrison has some whispering he may yet fulfil his gargantuan talent.

Manchester United v West Brom; Saturday, September 28; Old Trafford; 3pm

Their midfield was taken apart last weekend, but Manchester United at least know that there’s no big, scary Yaya Toure-types in the West Brom team. Rather, the Baggies’ midfield star from last season Claudio Yacob has – like his team – started this term sluggishly. Stephane Sessegnon (pictured) has the quality to open up defences, but the smarting champions should have too much for WBA. Assuming their midfield actually passes to their forwards.

Southampton v Crystal Palace; Saturday, September 28; St Mary’s Stadium; 3pm
“I can’t see a positive thing. We were awful,” was Ian Holloway’s commendably honest assessment after Crystal Palace’s loss to Swansea. His team are struggling to find a cohesive system with many new signings in midfield and attack, while Southampton – despite flying high in seventh – have scored just three league goals. Daniel Osvaldo and Rickie Lambert are yet to gel, but the Eagles might give them time and space to do just that.

Stoke v Norwich; Sunday, September 29; Britannia Stadium; 1.30pm
Mark Hughes started this season with one muscular arm tied behind his back: tasked with evolving Stoke’s style, yet not being given a lot in the way of new recruits. He’s made a fine fist of it, Stoke looking a fresher, more free-flowing side than last season. Norwich boss Chris Hughton is a man under pressure, however. A fit-again Gary Hooper aids attacking options, but Hughton’s conservative tactics are not impressing Norwich fans.

Sunderland v Liverpool; Sunday, September 29; Stadium of Light; 4pm
Unemployed psychopath Paolo Di Canio may not be feeling too bad about life if he eyes Sunderland’s upcoming fixtures. Liverpool, Manchester United and Swansea away make up their next three – and caretaker gaffer Kevin Ball’s tough challenge is to get the Black Cats scoring without the injured Stephen Fletcher. If Brendan Rodgers continues his curious, all-centre-back defensive experiment, it may help Ball out.

Everton v Newcastle; Monday, September 30; Goodison Park; 8pm
The sight of Steve Bruce shaking his moneymaker on the touchline last week as Newcastle lost to Hull left Geordies queasy, and a visit to Goodison for some sticky Toffees may not settle the stomach. Everton have Ross Barkley and Leighton Baines in rich form, but the debut of Romelu Lukaku was the real highlight of last week’s win against West Ham. Newcastle’s shaky defence could be ripe for a bullying from the Belgian.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PEPE REINA EXCLUSIVE: My Liverpool days are over, I'll never go back

By MATT BARLOW PUBLISHED: 21:53 GMT, 27 September 2013 | UPDATED: 21:55 GMT, 27 September 2013

Pepe Reina is resigned to the fact he will never pull on the Liverpool shirt again and a trace of bitterness lingers about the nature of his exit from Anfield but the popular goalkeeper is thriving again in Italy.Reunited with Rafa Benitez, Reina has been key in their impressive start to the campaign and last weekend became the first goalkeeper to ever save a Mario Balotelli penalty as Napoli won in the San Siro for the first time in 27 years. It has helped convince Reina that some good may come from the ignominy of being forced out of Liverpool while on holiday and despite finishing last season with seven clean sheets in 10 Barclays Premier League games.'It did come as a surprise,' said Reina, who has three years left on his Anfield deal. 'It was the club [Liverpool] who made the move. I was on my holidays and nobody told me anything. Suddenly Napoli called and said they were agreeing terms with Liverpool and Liverpool just rang me two days later and said the same. They probably had their own reasons.'

article-0-185272B400000578-227_634x461.jpg

Net minder: Pepe Reina is thriving again in Naples

It all happened quickly and the 31-year-old signed on loan for one season. Benitez will work on him to make it permanent, but accepts there will be competition, possibly from Barcelona, who expect Victor Valdes to leave when his contract expires next year.Reina is unsure what will unfold but he cannot see a return to Merseyside. 'No,' he said, shaking his head. 'At the moment it's difficult to think about being a Liverpool player next year. They have a young goalkeeper in Simon Mignolet and the manager prefers him to me.'That's the reason why I'm here and he will be at the club next year as well. There's no reason to think I'll be a Liverpool player from now on but we'll see where the future takes us.

It's been a good move so far and I don't regret what happened. I would have preferred to say goodbye in a different way.'
Oddly, the loan move came six months after Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers assured him he was No 1. 'His best years are in front of him, not behind him,' said Rodgers, in December. 'He is working harder than ever, he has lost weight, he looks fresh, he looks bright, he is doing extra work and it is a great step forward to him and his commitment in terms of him staying at Liverpool.'On Wednesday, at Napoli's Castel Volturno training base, he was recovering from a training run in the Mediterranean sun, the morning after a 1-1 draw at home to Sassoulo.

article-0-182D2DD100000578-396_634x333.jpg

Full stretch: Reina pulls off a wonderful penalty save to deny AC Milan sharpshooter, Mario Balotelli

article-0-182D0B7400000578-764_634x442.jpg

Wild thing: Reina celebrates after saving the penalty

'I want to enjoy this year,' said Reina. 'It is such an important one for me with the World Cup around the corner and returning to the top flight, playing in the Champions League and fighting for the title, is something I have missed in the last two or three years. I'm happy to be back at this level. I never expected it but it's been a great decision. I feel invigorated by the move.'Mentally, I'm fresher, I have more hunger. It is not like before I wasn't, but a change can be good for your mind. You have to show the people even more and you have to be ready. The tactics and the managerial skills of Rafa are getting the best from me and that's one more reason.'

Napoli fans have embraced the Spanish goalkeeper and there is tangible excitement in the city that this may be a special year as they target their first Serie A title since 1990 and the days when Diego Maradona ruled the Stadio San Paolo.
'It's been a magnificent welcome,' said Reina. 'It's been brilliant. My family have adapted well to Napoli. The kids in the school are happy and my wife is making some friends. It is very similar to Liverpool. 'It is a humble city and very, very passionate about the team. It is almost a religion, like in Liverpool. That's always brilliant for the players. It is a positive pressure. It is a healthy club, that's for sure. 'Along with Borussia Dortmund it is probably the healthiest club in Europe. The squad is being built little by little with room to improve but it is going the right way and everything is good.'

article-0-04660BDF00000514-559_634x462.jpg

Over: Reina is resigned to the fact he will never pull on the Liverpool shirt again

article-0-1850B04600000578-926_634x477.jpg

First choice: Reina says Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers prefers Simon Mignolet

His brilliant save from Balotelli (his first miss in 27 penalties) preserved a 2-1 win at AC Milan and is evidence of his positive mood. 'Just lucky it wasn't right in the corner,' smiled Reina, but he has a knack. He saved seven out of nine conceded by Villarreal in the season before his move to Liverpool.'It goes in waves,' he added. 'There was a time at Liverpool for about two years when I couldn't even smell it. When you're on fire you're on fire and when you're not you're not.

If there's a secret, I'll keep it to myself.'
Reina will be in London next week when Napoli take on Arsenal, another club linked with him in the past. 'That happened in 2010,' he said. 'Since then, nothing has been going on, no direct contact with me or my agent.'He has given the opportunity to Szczesny and Fabianski to prove themselves once again. I have a lot of respect for that club and they have great goalkeepers right now. All I can say is that it happened once and never again.'But it is a great feeling to be going back to England to play at Champions League level. 'It is the famous group of death but we have started with a win. Arsenal are a really tough opponent at home but we have a little bit of confidence.'

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Henry's inking big: Former Arsenal striker shows off full sleeve right arm tattoo

By JOHN DRAYTON PUBLISHED: 09:14 GMT, 28 September 2013 | UPDATED: 09:43 GMT, 28 September 2013

Thierry Henry has unveiled a stunning full sleeve tattoo on his right arm, adding to his already elaborate body art.The New York Red Bulls striker was pictured on Instagram by Bang Bang NYC showing off the new artwork on his right arm. The new tattoo adds to the New York themed bodyart on his left arm which Henry showed off back in July. The tattoo on Henry's left arm features the Statue of Liberty and what appears to be Brooklyn Bridge.

article-0-18572BBE00000578-872_634x629.jpg

Artwork: Thierry Henry showed off his new full sleeve right arm tattoo

article-0-185738DC00000578-699_634x618.jpg

Matching: Henry showed off his New York themed left arm tattoo in July

Henry joined New York in 2010 after a glittering career involving spells at Arsenal and Barcelona.Among his achievements to date, Henry was won the Premier League twice, three FA Cups, two La Ligas and the Champions League as well as the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 with France. As well has his large collection of trophies, Henry has also won a number of individual honours including four Premier League Golden Boot awards and being named in UEFA's team of the year five times.

article-0-1420651A000005DC-935_634x437.jpg

Stateside: Henry joined New York Red Bull back in 2010 after spells at Arsenal and Barcelona

article-0-11AAAD57000005DC-301_634x436.jpg

Back in red: Henry returned to Arsenal for a loan spell in 2012 but looks set to see out his career in New York

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Police warn Tottenham and Chelsea fans over use of Y-word

192445_heroa.jpg

Sep 27, 2013 11:31:00 PM

Spurs have asked their supporters to be mindful of their use of the term, while visiting fans have been told by the Stamford Bridge club to refrain from anti-Semitic abuse

Tottenham and Chelsea fans have been warned by the Metropolitan Police over the use of the Y-word at White Hart Lane on Saturday.

The term, which originated as a derogatory word to describe a person of Jewish faith, has been used to abuse Spurs supporters due to the origins of a section of the club's fanbase.

Tottenham fans have since adopted the term, however, and the police have indicated use of the word "under certain circumstances" will result in supporters being removed from the stadium.

"In particular they [the Metropolitan Police] will be monitoring for anti-Semitic abuse and offenders will be ejected," a statement on the club's official website reads.

The statement continues: "They have made it clear that this includes the use of the Y-word under certain circumstances - we should, therefore, like to ask all fans to be mindful of their use of this term."

Chelsea have also issued a statement warning fans over the use of anti-semitic chants towards Spurs fans.

"Tottenham supporters using the Y-word as a form of identity is not an excuse for abusive chanting," the club said.

"All forms of discriminatory behaviour and language are abhorrent and this includes the 'Y' word."

Last edited:

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gazza's bank account 'bled dry': Troubled former footballer says £50,000 has been withdrawn by hackers

• Paul Gascoigne has said he has been 'bled dry' by thieves
  • He said they made 23 withdrawals from his account in just two days
  • The former England star said between £9,000 and £50,000 had been stolen
By JAMES RUSH PUBLISHED: 08:12 GMT, 28 September 2013 | UPDATED: 11:59 GMT, 28 September 2013

article-2436504-18521C8100000578-763_306x443.jpg

Paul Gascoigne has said he has been 'bled dry' by hackers who took £50,000 from his bank account

Former England star Paul Gascoigne has been 'bled dry' by hackers who took £50,000 from his bank account.

Gascoigne, 46, who has been battling alcoholism for years, has said the thieves made 23 withdrawals in the space of just two days, it has been reported.

Speaking outside his Bournemouth home, the former Newcastle, Tottenham Hotspur and Lazio star claimed he knew who was responsible before admitting he did not understand how it had happened. Speaking to The Sun, he said: 'I know who did it. I know how it f****** happened, there were 23 hits in f****** two days. It was quite a lot of money.

'It wasn't that much. F*** knows. I don't know. Website, internet, I've not got a clue.'

Gascoigne, once believed to be worth £14 million, reportedly said between £9,000 and £50,000 had been stolen. In a documentary aired by ITV this week he described the pain of knowing he might start drinking again even though he recognises it might kill him. Widely regarded as one of the most talented footballers of his generation, Gascoigne told film-makers he had been 'lucky twice' after almost dying from drink.

He said: 'I hope I don't die through it. Because I won't get any sympathy... because well he was warned. At least I know if I did pass away through it I wouldn't be in this pain all the time.'Last week it was reported Gascoigne spent £4,000 in just a few hours during a drunken betting spree.

Witnesses said they saw the troubled England legend dropping bundles of £20 notes at a bookmakers following a two-day drinking bender. Staff at the Coral shop in Boscombe, near his Bournemouth flat, eventually had him ejected, according to reports. An onlooker told the Daily Star Sunday Gascoigne was 'swaying' and a worker behind the counter said he has spent thousands.

article-2436504-183431AC00000578-486_634x354.jpg

In a documentary aired by ITV this week, Gascoigne described the pain of knowing he might start drinking again even though he recognised it might kill him

Gascoigne has battled alcoholism for many years and was sent to rehab in America in February. The £100,000 stay was organised and paid for by his host of famous friends including Radio 2 presenter Chris Evans and TalkSPORT presenter and former England cricketer Ronnie Irani. The move came following a charity appearance in Northampton during which the star appeared unwell and shaking, before breaking down and sobbing on stage in front of a room full of fans.

article-2436504-02F2915A00000514-593_634x480.jpg

Widely regarded as one of the most talented footballers of his generation, Gascoigne told film-makers he had been 'lucky twice' after almost dying from drink

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kagawa is in my plans, insists Moyes

322699_heroa.jpg

By Holly Gillett26
Sep 29, 2013 11:30:00 AM

The Japan international's exclusion from the starting XI has become a bone of contention during the Red Devils' worst ever start to a Premier league season

Manchester United boss David Moyes insists Shinji Kagawa is still in his plans despite substituting him at half-time against West Brom on Saturday.

The 24-year-old, who netted six goals in 20 league appearances last season, made his first Premier League appearance of the campaign in the shock 2-1 loss to Steve Clarke's side.

His return to top-flight action was cut short, though, as 18-year-old Adnan Januzaj replaced him at the interval, but Moyes suggested that the change was tactical.

"We want Shinji to feel that he's getting an opportunity to show what he can do," the 50-year-old Scottish coach said.

"Arguably, his best position may be number 10 but I think for Japan he plays in the same position we're playing him just now.

"So it's not something which is strange to him or not his position but there's a lot of competition here and what we want is the competition to push each other on to get performances and improve."

United's indifferent start has left them 12th in the table but their next test comes in the Champions League on Wednesday, when they face Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Galatasaray set to appoint Mancini

317999_heroa.jpg

Sep 28, 2013 10:04:00 PM

The out-of-work Italian is set to be confirmed as the replacement for Fatih Terim, with negotiations between the two parties said to be in their final stages

Galatasaray are set to appoint former Manchester City and Inter boss Roberto Mancini as their new coach following Fatih Terim's departure.

The legendary Turkish boss left the club earlier this week following a bust-up with president Unal Aysal after delivering two Super Lig titles in as many seasons.

Mancini, meanwhile, has been out of work after being sacked by Manchester City back in May following the English side's loss to Wigan in the FA Cup final.

Galatasaray legend Hakan Sukur has confirmed that the two parties are close to reaching a deal but have a difference in opinion concerning the rest of the backroom staff.

"I have a mutual friend with Mancini and I spoke him and Galatasaray and Mancini are in the final stages," he is quoted as saying by Sporx.

"There is a difference only about the assistants. Whether or not Umit [Davala] and Hasan San will remain. Mancini wants to bring his own assistants. I expect this issue to be resolved."

Galatasaray fans showed up the 1-1 draw with Caykur Rizespor on Saturday wearing Terim masks in a show of support for the 60-year-old.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Sweeper: Ozil assured of Wenger extension at Arsenal

322236_heroa.jpg

Sep 29, 2013 8:30:00 AM

The Germany international sought confirmation that the Frenchman would sign a new contract at the Emirates Stadium and is set to get his wish

OZIL ASSURED WENGER WOULD EXTEND CONTRACT

Arsene Wenger gave the clearest indication yet this week that he will extend his Arsenal reign beyond next summer.

Following a ringing personal endorsement from club owner Stan Kroenke, the Frenchman said that he expected talks on a new deal to be "straightforward".

The Sweeper can reveal that Mesut Ozil was given assurances by Arsenal chiefs that Wenger would be staying on at the Emirates Stadium when he was negotiating his club-record €50 million move from Real Madrid in August.

Ozil's admiration for Wenger and his methods was a major factor in the Germany playmaker transferring from the Santiago Bernabeu to north London.

The 24-year-old has subsequently admitted that the Gunners boss persuaded him in a series of conversations before his deadline-day move that signing for Arsenal would be a sensible career move.

Wenger began talks with the club in the summer about extending his contract and it is understood that a deal is expected to be agreed within the next few months.

- Wayne Veysey

BALE DEAL SAW SIGURDSSON'S SUNDERLAND MOVE COLLAPSE

Gylfi Sigurdsson scored for Tottenham in their 1-1 against Chelsea on Saturday but the Iceland international could have been playing for strugglers Sunderland if not for Gareth Bale's world-record move to Madrid.

The Black Cats were ready to pay €12m to sign Sigurdsson and advanced talks were held over a deal to take the 24-year-old to the Stadium of Light.

However, Sigurdsson is represented by Stellar Group, whose chiefs had their hands tied in the complex €100m transfer that took Bale to Real Madrid and was only completed on the final day of the window.

- Greg Stobart

DEMPSEY SET ON EUROPEAN RETURN

Clint Dempsey intends to return to Europe on loan next season - and could even play again for Tottenham, The Sweeper has learned.

The American midfielder moved from Spurs to Seattle Sounders during the summer in a €7.1m transfer but hopes for a loan switch at the end of the MLS season.

The likes of David Beckham, Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan have all completed successful winter loans and Dempsey is keen to follow the same path.

Tottenham, however, have first option on a January loan deal for Dempsey for the duration of his contract, which expires in 2016.

Given the Londoners' start to the season, however, it is unlikely that they will look to bring the 30-year-old back to the club despite his contribution last season, when he scored 12 goals in 43 appearances.

- Greg Stobart

EVERTON WANT BARRY FOR KEEPS

Gareth Barry will be offered a permanent deal by Everton next summer.

The midfielder is currently on a 12-month loan at Goodison Park, with parent club Manchester City picking up around half of his €143,000-a-week wages.

However, Everton and boss Roberto Martinez have already seen enough from him - both on and off the pitch, in terms of his fitness data - to consider it a sound investment.

The Toffees are also fearful the former England mainstay, 32, will be major target for clubs at the end of the season when he becomes a free agent.

Everton cannot get close to his existing wages but plan a lucrative signing-on fee plus additional bonuses. Barry is also settled in the Cheshire area with a young family.

- Paul Clennam

CITY FANS FACING TRAVEL CHAOS

Manchester City fans are facing an anxious wait ahead of their side's trip to face CSKA Moscow in October, with the hosts potentially set to move the fixture 400 miles from the Russian capital.

Severe weather conditions and high number of fixtures have forced CSKA to switch their upcoming Champions League clash with Viktoria Plzen from their usual home ground the Khimki Arena to Zenit St Petersburg's Petrovsky stadium, with the pitch currently unfit for use.

And City fans, 800 of whom already travelled nearly 1000 miles to the Czech Republic for their side's 3-0 win over Plzen earlier in September, have been left in the dark as to where the CSKA fixture will take place, leaving their travel plans in chaos.

"The pitch conditions are of deep concern and even panic for me," CSKA's club manager, Leonid Slutsky, told Sport Express earlier in September.

"There have been too many matches played at the arena in recent days and unfortunately we were unable to change the situation."