• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester derby security increased

Greater Manchester Police are to increase security for next weekend's Manchester derby.

Tuesday 10th September 2013

158030607.jpg

Trouble marred last December's meeting between City and United at the Etihad Stadium, with visiting defender Rio Ferdinand hit by a coin before being confronted by a fan who managed to get on the pitch.

The two sides meet at same venue on Sunday September 22 and safety measures will be ramped up in order to prevent any flare-ups.

It is understood officers will patrol areas with a bid to cutting out graffiti - messages have previously been painted about the Munich Air Disaster and the death of ex-City midfielder Marc-Vivien Foe - while specially-trained dogs will hunt for flares carried by supporters.

Officers will also be given protective eyewear, although only those on the segregation lines, while hand-held cameras will be used in the wake of key incidents such as goals.

The police are also expected to increase public warnings in the days building up to the game.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fergie given freedom of Trafford

Former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is to receive the honorary freedom of Trafford borough.

Tuesday 10th September 2013

FOXBPL_210513fergie.jpg

He will be formally honoured at a meeting of councillors on October 14, said Trafford Council.

Sir Alex is also being recognised by the local authority with a road near Old Trafford stadium having its name changed from Waters Reach to Sir Alex Ferguson Way.

Sir Alex said: "I am delighted to accept this honour from Trafford Council. When I arrived at Old Trafford in 1986 I had little idea of the journey that awaited me. Over quarter of a century later, to receive the Freedom of the Borough of Trafford and to have a part of Trafford carrying my name is truly humbling."

Council leader Matt Colledge said: "Sir Alex has contributed significantly to Trafford over a sustained period of time through his strong leadership of the Manchester United team and it was felt that the Honorary Freeman title and the renaming of the street was a fitting tribute to him.

"Football contributes significantly to the borough through the large number of visitors it attracts and jobs it creates. It has been through the success of the team that the club has grown in strength over the years, becoming one of the world's most successful and renowned clubs."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ozil's father threatens legal action in sensational rant at Real Madrid

299429_heroa.jpg

By Ewan Roberts304
Sep 12, 2013 9:43:00 AM

Mustafa Ozil has denied accusations that his son was "obsessed with women and nightlife" during his time in the Spanish capital, saying the 24-year-old has been scapegoated

Mesut Ozil's father, Mustafa, has threatened legal action after claims in the Spanish press suggested the Germany international was distracted by off-field activities while at Real Madrid.

Earlier this week, ABC, a Spanish newspaper with ties to the Spanish club's president, Florentino Perez, reported that the Blancos chief believed Ozil "wasn't a good professional and was obsessed with women and nightlife".

But the Germany international's father has hit back at those allegations and says the discontent which has greeted the 24-year-old's sale has seen Perez turn the new Arsenal signing into a scapegoat.

"Just because a man earns a lot of money, doesn't mean he's a man of honour," Ozil's father is quoted as saying in Bild. "And Perez is no man of honour.

"Mesut is supposed to be the scapegoat now and I'm the greedy father. A put-up game. We will defend ourselves legally.

"If Mesut had an unprofessional life in Madrid, then why did he always play? They want to blame him now, because the fans and team-mates are angry."

Ozil, who scored or assisted 108 goals in 159 appearances for Madrid, secured a stunning deadline-day move to Arsenal for a fee of €50 million, much to the surprise of many of his former team-mates.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Former Newcastle stars Alan Shearer, Rob Lee and Andrew Cole criticise owner Mike Ashley for lack of ambition in club's downfall

Shearer admits it is inconceivable now for a player to turn down Manchester United for Newcastle as he did in 1996, while both Lee and Cole highlight serious issues in the way the club is being run

MARTIN HARDY FRIDAY 13 SEPTEMBER 2013

Dan9oxy.jpg

The old entrance to the Milburn Stand at St James' Park was new and plush in 1988. It had been named after Jackie Milburn, the three-time FA Cup winning centre forward from Ashington, who scored 200 goals for Newcastle United, and had replaced the main West Stand at the ground through necessity.

The stadium, if it was indeed that, had fallen behind the times. You could not stand and stay dry and eventually, after the tragedy of Valley Parade, where 56 people died in a fire, the times caught up with Newcastle. The main stand, which had huge lettering of Newcastle United along its entire length, was ripped down. The Milburn Stand that replaced it has largely disappeared now as well, swallowed up by a new, bolder and bigger stadium as capacity swept past 52,000.

The entrance, however, remains, now as a home for security surveillance and post game interviews. There is a bust of Sir Bobby Robson and a huge picture of Newcastle playing Sunderland. There is still history in there and on Wednesday night, men with grey hair who either loved the club through their place of birth, or who learned to love it over time, offered only bleak condemnation.

It did not feel like the time for the hammer of history to fall on the ambition that persuaded men like Alan Shearer, Les Ferdinand and David Ginola to chose Newcastle United above other suitors. Old friends had played for a 20-year servant of the club in Steve Harper, for charity and for a quite staggering crowd of more than 50,000, against the former greats of AC Milan. It should have been a mood of bonhomie, of respect to Harper's patience and behind the scene significance (he was one of the players who stood to create a new bond at Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road in 2009 following relegation and a six-one defeat in a friendly to create the springboard for promotion and a return to the Premier League).

Instead, one by one, the men with grey and fading hair lines, condemned the running of Newcastle United. More damningly, they condemned Newcastle United to history.

Alan Shearer turned down Manchester United to sign for Newcastle. That seems inconceivable now.

"That 1996 team which just missed out on the title may be the best any Newcastle fan sees in his lifetime," he said. "That is why they turned out for this game, because that's an era that they loved and enjoyed. They enjoyed being entertained and that is what that team did. It could be a long time before that happens again.

"Yes, I was surprised by the lack of activity on deadline day because I kept on listening to Alan Pardew saying he wanted some players and the club were confident of bringing some in. Reading the lines, I expected a player or two to come in. I haven't got a clue why they didn't.

"Is the ambition still there to be a top six club? I think it takes an incredible amount of money to get there. You've seen what Spurs have spent, albeit they got it back with Gareth Bale money, and Newcastle haven't got anything like that. You have seen what Chelsea, Man City, Man United and Arsenal have spent and Newcastle cannot compete with them anymore, unfortunately.

"The aim now is to try to win a trophy, be it the FA Cup or the League Cup, and to stay in the Premier League. It might be a while before you see Newcastle challenging again for a top four place, which is a shame because the fans here deserve it."

Harper had spoken on the morning of his game. He had said the club is being poisoned by the owner, Mike Ashley. Robert Lee, who was signed for just £750,000 from Charlton and scored 56 goals in 368 games and finished runner-up in the Premier League twice, agreed.

"I can see where he’s coming from," said Lee. "The fans want to see the club progressing and they want to see the owner spending some money on the team. That hasn’t happened. I’d like to see them spend it on a few more British players. They’ve not got enough in the squad. They’ve gone too far. Some of the foreign players have been good, but some of them aren’t good enough and there doesn’t seem to be any desire to invest in domestic talent.

WoNmGOU.jpg

Pardew claims he is happy with the squad despite previously calling for it to be strengthened Pardew claims he is happy with the squad despite previously calling for it to be strengthened

"Against West Ham, it was 0-0 and I couldn’t remember playing in a 0-0. It was flat. The atmosphere was flat, Newcastle teams always attacked at home. It’s not a case of the club only need a couple of players and they’ll be very good. It’s more long term than that. There aren’t the kids coming through the academy. Since I left we’ve had Steven Taylor, Andy Carroll and Shola Ameobi.

"They aren’t coming. Players don’t want to join Newcastle anymore. Kevin Keegan sold this club to me when I joined. If Joe Kinnear was speaking to you, are you going to join this football club? I’m not so sure."

Lee's son, Elliott, scored a hat-trick for West Ham's Under-21 side at the start of this month in a five-four victory, against Newcastle.

Andy Cole was signed for £1.75 million in 1993 and scored 68 goals in 84 games for the club, including a record total of 41 in a season in 1994.

"Apathy is something I’ve never associated with Newcastle United," said Cole. "To be told their biggest crowd of the season is for a testimonial match is a huge surprise and it’s worrying for them. If you’re not going to put finances into the football team and try to improve by buying better players, fans are going to vote with their feet.

“Newcastle have got a decent first choice team, but the game is about getting injuries and suspensions, players coming in and out of the side. The best clubs have the best squads. They have competition for places.

"It’s a rock and a hard place at Newcastle at the moment. They seem to get themselves on the right track and all of a sudden someone here derails them. The punters were fairly happy a couple of years ago, the team were moving in the right direction and then decisions are made at the top which throw a spanner in the works. It’s almost as if somebody running the club wants to upset the punters and I find that very strange.

WjbPCt6.jpg

Shearer admitted he was baffled as to why the club had not made more signings Shearer admitted he was baffled as to why the club had not made more signings

"If you keep the punters on board here, it’s half the battle. If you upset them, they’re going to eventually vote with their feet because there is only so much they can take."

Shearer, Lee and Cole were all signed by Kevin Keegan, the best director of football Newcastle never appointed. He was absent on Wednesday night, but much water has washed under the Tyne Bridge since his team almost lifted the Premier League, including an ill-fated stint as manager under Ashley which ended with a successful court victory for Keegan over the Newcastle owner.

Keegan once said this after a Newcastle victory, when he was manager the first time. "The fans want you to make their dreams come true. We can't do that. But we'll have a right try." He remains hugely relevant, 31 years after first breathing life into a football club on its knees.

Ashley, the owner he fought with, is ready to sell but wants his money back (around £250 million) but there is no sign of anyone biting at that price. The Sports Direct billionaire believes the £33 million in total that was spent in January (and is believed to have pushed the club's wage bill to turnover ratio towards a dangerously high 80 per cent) is enough. Newcastle were never going to be players in the summer transfer window, it is why Kinnear arrived. The additional television money will be used to bring wages to turnover beneath 70 per cent. The club is stuck, in reality and in time.

Outside the old entrance to the Milburn Stand on Wednesday night, youngsters waited excitedly for the signature of a player they know only through hazy video, Youtube or story. Newcastle has always needed romance to exist but it is an emotion that seemed to filter out of St James' Park into the Tyneside night air with 50,000 people, and some men with grey or no hair.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's not my problem' - Fellaini shrugs off pricetag pressure

316729_heroa.jpg

Sep 13, 2013 8:31:00 PM

The Belgian does not believe his €32 million fee will pray on his mind and insists he was happy to wait until deadline day to seal his "dream" move to Old Trafford

By Tom Marshall-Bailey at Old Trafford

Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini insists he will not be affected by his large transfer fee after sealing a €32 million move to Old Trafford in the closing hours of transfer deadline day.

David Moyes had attempted to bolster his midfield with moves for Thiago, Cesc Fabregas and Ander Herrera over the summer, but when those approaches proved unsuccessful he opted to sign the Belgium international he brought to Everton in 2008.

The Premier League champions' procrastination saw them pay far in excess of a buy-out clause in Fellaini's contract that expired at the end of July, but the 25-year-old has shrugged off criticism of the transfer fee.

"It's not my problem [the transfer fee]. No matter whether it is £20m, £25m, £30m, expensive or not, the players respect the players," he told reporters at a press conference.

"Of course Manchester United want the big players but no I wanted to stay fit. It was the most important for me and I waited to see until the end of the transfer window.

"I need to work hard for my place because there are a lot of good players. I keep focused and I want to help the team and I will do everything for this.

"It is up to the manager but I want to play offensive midfield and help the team going forward but the most important for me and the team is to win games."

Fellaini enjoyed five seasons at Everton under Moyes before following the Scot to Old Trafford on the final day of the window but admitted he had often thought the deal would never go through.

"With Everton, with the chairman you never know. Sometimes I thought no chance for me to join Manchester United. But in the end I was so happy because the chairman accepted the deal," the Belgian continued.

"I talked with the manager [Roberto Martinez] as it is a big opportunity for me to join one of the biggest clubs in the world.

"He knew my objective, I want to win a trophy; I play football for this so with Manchester United, I have a chance to win something.

"Of course [there were nerves about the deal not being completed] because it's a chance to join Manchester United but in the end for me it is a dream."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League preview

All eyes on new signings; Everton face Chelsea; Saints meet West Ham

Last Updated: September 13, 2013 3:17pm

jose_2995514.jpg

Jose Mourinho will be looking to take Chelsea top of the table on Saturday

There will be a host of new signings in action as the Premier League resumes after the close of the transfer window and an international break.

One of the main topics of discussion over the past fortnight has been whether more can be done to nurture young English talent rather than spend heavily on new players, after Premier League clubs spent over £600million this summer.

Deadline day provided its usual level of drama with a number of big-money moves including Mesut Ozil to Arsenal and Marouane Fellaini to Manchester United, and managers everywhere will now be relieved they can focus on results rather than recruitment.

Early leaders Liverpool are not in action until Monday against Swansea City so there is a chance for Chelsea to move top of the table with victory at Everton on Saturday, in a match that can be seen live on Sky Sports 1HD. Chelsea agonisingly lost out to Bayern Munich on penalties in the UEFA Super Cup last time out but the late additions of Samuel Eto'o and Willian have given Jose Mourinho even more attacking power and they will be looking to inflict a first defeat of the season on Everton, who have so far drawn all three of their Premier League matches.

Everton bolstered their squad on deadline day and kept hold of Leighton Baines, but they eventually had to part with Fellaini as the Belgian midfielder followed David Moyes to Old Trafford. He will hope to help Manchester United return to winning ways in the lunchtime kick-off on Saturday after a 1-0 loss to Liverpool left them five points off the pace. Crystal Palace, who added four players to their squad in the final hours before the window closed, will be looking to follow up their 3-1 victory over Sunderland with another positive showing.

Ozil arrives

Sunderland have yet to win a league game this season and face a difficult test this weekend against Arsenal, where all eyes will be on the Gunners' record signing Ozil. The Arsenal faithful had to wait a long time for their club to spend any money but the arrival of German playmaker Ozil from Real Madrid finally demonstrated their ambition and hopes will be high for another three points after success against Tottenham Hotspur.

News broke just after the north London derby of Gareth Bale completing his transfer to Real Madrid, and Tottenham can now get down to work without speculation about the Welshman overshadowing their every move. Spurs made a number of exciting signings themselves and there is sure to be a new look to the side Andre Villas-Boas sends out against Norwich City. The Canaries edged out Southampton 1-0 before the international break for their first win of the campaign.

Southampton have a chance to bounce back from that defeat in a Super Sunday encounter at home to West Ham United. Both sides have been tipped to enjoy strong seasons, although the Hammers were also beaten in their most recent outing by Stoke City and have been dealt a blow with the news that Andy Carroll has suffered a new injury.

Stoke and Manchester City are currently locked together on six points and manager Mark Hughes is looking forward to welcoming his former club to the Britannia Stadium to get a measure of his side's level. Man City slipped up in their first away fixture, against Cardiff City, and have injury problems in defence after new signing Martin Demichelis joined Vincent Kompany on the sidelines.

Home form key

There is a battle between two of the newly-promoted clubs at the KC Stadium as Hull City entertain Cardiff. Hull have been beaten by Chelsea and Manchester City but may feel their home form holds the key to survival and a 1-0 win over Norwich last month will give them encouragement. Cardiff followed up their shock win over Man City with a goalless draw against Everton to continue a solid start to the season.

Aston Villa and Newcastle both endured unexpectedly difficult campaigns last season and will be determined to steer clear of a relegation dogfight this time around. Villa had a particularly tricky set of fixtures last month and will be relishing the return to action after a three-week rest since their last league game. Newcastle were frustrated in their attempts to sign new players in the transfer window but did at least hold on to Yohan Cabaye, while Hatem Ben Arfa's stunning late strike against Fulham ended their wait for a first league goal and win.

West Bromwich Albion are currently bottom of the table with just one point but they will hope for an upturn in fortunes after making four signings on deadline day, including the acquisition of Stephane Sessegnon on a club-record deal. The Baggies travel to Craven Cottage to take on a Fulham side who have suffered back-to-back defeats against Arsenal and Newcastle.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League Previews: game-by-game guide to the weekend’s action

By Sport Magazine (@Sportmaguk) | Thursday, September 12, 2013

everton-chelsea.jpg

We look ahead to all of the top-flight action over the next few days...

Everton v Chelsea; Saturday, September 14; Goodison Park; 5.30pm

By common consent, Everton ‘had a good window’. While their best bit of business may have been the non-sale of Leighton Baines, they will undoubtedly be strengthened by the deadline day deals for Gareth Barry, James McCarthy and Romelu Lukaku, even allowing for the departure of Marouane Fellaini.

Lukaku, on loan from this week’s opponents Chelsea, could prove vitally important for the goal-shy Toffees. But the young Belgian will have to wait for his debut as he’s ineligible this week under the terms of his deal – so once again, the scoring duties will fall to Nikica Jelavic.

With 16 goals in 53 Everton games, however, he’s no Bob Latchford – so manager Roberto Martinez will hope Barry and McCarthy will add drive and bite to a midfield that passes the ball prettily but, thus far, with little end result.

It will be interesting to see how Jose Mourinho approaches this match. Having started striker-less against Manchester United, he is again proving that his first priority is not losing, although he does now have Samuel Eto’o at his disposal. Well past his best he may be, but the Cameroonian should still be good enough to start ahead of Fernando Torres and Demba Ba.

In essence, then, a midfield battle that may not be easy on the eye. Both sides keep the ball well, but can either create enough chances to go and win it? Should Eto’o play, he could just be the difference.

Swansea v Liverpool; Monday, September 16; Liberty Stadium; 8pm

Table-topping Liverpool won’t be relishing the prospect of taking on their gaffer’s old team. Since Swansea were promoted two years ago honours have been shared, with a win apiece and two draws. If fit, Daniel Sturridge will be the man to watch for Liverpool: his goal-a-game return is the reason the Reds have a maximum nine points. But it’s in defence where they have been most impressive – it’s hard to see how the Swans will break through.

Stoke v Manchester City; Saturday, September 14; Britannia Stadium; 3pm

Stoke City are a surprise package this season – not just in their results, but also in the way they play. Wins against Crystal Palace and West Ham do not suggest a push for the Champions League is around the corner, but they have quietened the doubters who thought them relegation certs. Man City may have scored eight in three, but four of those came against an awful Newcastle and two in defeat. It’s time for Alvaro Negredo to start.

Manchester United v Crystal Palace; Saturday, September 14; Old Trafford; 12.45pm

All eyes at Old Trafford will be on Marouane Fellaini, as David Moyes tries to win over the Stretford End. He’ll be hoping for a big display from the big man with the big hair, and if he can impose himself on the midfield, then United can go to town. Still, Palace fans will be delighted with their team’s start, and they did good business on deadline day. Cameron Jerome, Barry Bannan and Adrian Mariappa will improve them. No walkover, this.

Aston Villa v Newcastle; Saturday, September 14; Villa Park; 3pm

They may be everyone’s favourite second team, with their emphasis on youth and playing ‘the right way’, but there is a fear Villa flattered to deceive with a great opening-day victory over Arsenal. True, Chelsea and Liverpool don’t represent easy opposition, but they need to get back on track against Newcastle, whose season is in direct contrast. Awful against Man City, they’ve steadied the ship but have scored just one in three. Papiss Cisse needs to step up.

Fulham v West Brom; Saturday, September 14; Craven Cottage; 3pm

Too early in the season for what we might term a ‘classic six-pointer’? Oh go on, indulge us. West Brom are goalless, while Fulham couldn’t score, or barely even threaten, against Newcastle last time out. Still, at home and with the magic boots of Dimitar Berbatov surely about to come good, they should have too much for the Lukaku-less Baggies – whose eighth-place finish last season seems a distant (and unreal) memory to their fans.

Hull v Cardiff; Saturday, September 14; KC Stadium; 3pm

If Fulham v West Brom is a six-pointer, then what on earth is this? Seven? Eight? To be fair, both teams have started as well as anyone may have expected – especially Cardiff, whose win over Man City was spectacularly good. Hull’s home games will be vital (as proven by victory at the KC over Norwich) and Steve Bruce knows this is one he needs to win. Tom Huddlestone’s ability to keep the ball will be vital.

Sunderland v Arsenal; Saturday, September 14; Stadium of Light; 3pm

Rarely has a transfer been greeted with such wild enthusiasm as that of Mesut Ozil to Arsenal. While a creative midfielder may not have been top of the Gunners’ wishlist, he is one of the very best in the world. Contrast a player of his calibre with the lot at Sunderland – still winless and, according to boss Paolo Di Canio, “empty in the brain”. It could be a long season for all concerned at the Stadium of Light: expect Arsenal to breeze past the Black Cats.

Tottenham v Norwich; Saturday, September 14; White Hart Lane; 3pm

If Tottenham had made all their summer transfers on deadline day, Daniel Levy would be proclaimed a genius. As it is, all their business was done in advance, while Mesut Ozil arrived up the road to steal the headlines. Defeat in the north London derby left Spurs fans, previously so hopeful, feeling like, well, Spurs fans again. Norwich are no pushover, but Tottenham may have too much possession and a finisher in Roberto Soldado.

Southampton v West Ham; Sunday, September 15; St Mary’s Stadium; 4pm

Two teams with identical records, but Saints will be hopeful of three points at home. West Ham were poor against Stoke and look bereft in attack – hence trying to sign Carlton Cole, the striker they previously released. No such worries for Southampton, who have Rickie Lambert, fresh from England duty, leading the line with record signing Pablo Osvaldo. While the Hammers are hard to break down, it’s hard to see them holding firm for 90 minutes.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Give Moyes some Fergie time

Don’t expect any trophies from English champions Manchester United this season, as David Moyes rebuilds the team.

Last modified: 13 Sep 2013 11:45

picture-576.jpg

Lee Wellings
Based in London, I cover major sports news stories across the UK and Europe

h_50977026.jpg

Manchester United fans won't want to hear it, and David Moyes certainly won't be thinking it, but it might be best for them to write this season off. Give him time.

If they win a big trophy of any description it will be a huge bonus.

This is no ordinary club and Moyes is no short term solution. He has been put in a desperately difficult situation which in the short term will be a nightmare, but which in the long term he can succeed.

As I wrote in this column, when news of Ferguson's retirement broke the great Scotsman's superlative reign could well have been cut short before a trophy was won. He is the best - but far from the only - example of time being given and faith being shown. Time is of course the last thing anyone in football is prepared to give, especially the over-excitable types on Twitter and phone-ins, egged on by swivel-eyed self-professed football experts in the presenter's chair.

I disagreed with Moyes when he came out and criticised the hard fixtures United have been given in the first few weeks of the season. He should have left that to the conspiracy theorists, but blaming an inanimate object is never a smart move, as I’ve often found with the very device on which I type.

I write before the game against Crystal Palace which may have provided him with some much-need respite from said-computer.

But United-baiting broke out across the UK and beyond as they struggled on transfer deadline day. It was definitely an unacceptably bad window for them. Vice-Chairman Ed Woodward's name was m&d, but Moyes got his fair share of blame too. The snipers pointing out this would never have happened on 'Fergie's watch'.

No, indeed not. Ferguson would have successfully completed the signing of Eric Djemba-Djemba instead. Or Juan Sebastián Veron. Laurent Blanc maybe. Massimo Taibi the wonder keeper! Of course Fergie got it right most of the time, but not always. And I think he's unintentionally given Moyes a hospital pass. Why? Midfield.

Missing in the middle

I really don't have a clue how Fergie, the old genius, managed to win trophies in the last few seasons with the men in the middle. From the club that gave us Bryan Robson and Roy Keane, Moyes inherited a curiously lame centre core.

Against Liverpool, the big early litmus test of the new United, Leiva Lucas and Steven Gerrard dominated to such an extent it was near heartbreaking for the isolated Robin Van Persie.

When he got his chance he missed it, but Van Persie is one of three world class strikers at Old Trafford (Javier Hernandez and maybe still Wayne Rooney too). The defence came together last season and David De Gea improved in goal. The wide options in midfield are decent and Shinji Kagawa has been desperately unlucky not to get more playing time. Moyes has possibly got that one wrong, and good on Kagawa for performing well on international duty with Japan this week, and getting a goal.

And so to the very centre of midfield and Michael Carrick. He was much improved last season last season, excellent at times. But I still believe that boy is never going to make an impact at a major football championship. He is gifted but ultimately lightweight. He is a good footballer. Please don't try to tell me he's a great one, or the man you'd turn to for a decisive moment at 0-0 in a World Cup quarter-final.

Tom Cleverley. People constantly remind me that English footballers need to be given their chance. He is being given his chance. Is he really good enough for Manchester United or England ?

Antonio Valencia is a superb player on the right, even in defence when needed, but his form is interrupted when not selected regularly.

Luis Nani. A great talent who disappeared under Fergie. Ditto Anderson. Ashley Young? Ferguson appeared to finally get him using his left foot but when he emerged against Liverpool did we expect him to hurt them, really?

Even the peerless Ryan Giggs is in the 91st minute of his career. Outstanding against Real Madrid last March, but he can't do it forever and this I'd predict could be the season too far.

This was Ferguson's handover to Moyes. The Carricks and the Cleverleys. With pretty much nobody waiting in the wings.

No pressure then Marouane Felliani. We've all seen him have great games. We've seen a few games where it hasn't worked for him too. He's an intriguing footballer and it will be fascinating to see if Moyes plays him in a holding role, or there are more advanced opportunities. He did both for Moyes at Everton and other roles too. But the fear for United fans is that unleashing him further forward will leave too much softness behind him. And I’m not sure his disciplinary problems are 100 per cent behind him. If things don't go to plan, will the yellow and red cards mount up?

Football in England has changed in the last few years, You could have made the argument that Claude Makalele, Keane, Patrick Vieira, Graeme Souness, even the likes of Ian Batty and Sherwood, were the key to clubs winning the ball and winning the league.

But in the days of tiki-taka ball retention and control, the ball winners are not always so vital.

Though when United play City they will face Fernandinho and Yaya Toure. Toure is the heartbeat of City's team. If that Fellaini fax hadn't gone through in time we might have been seeing a complete mismatch.

Work to do

So there is work for Moyes and the much maligned Woodward to do in the next transfer windows, in January and next summer. And the results of that will not bear fruit for a while. But Moyes needs time. At least a season. Fergie had three years grace. It may sound like heresy to say a club like United need to brace themselves for a trophy-less season but expectation levels should be sensible.

United may have won the title in Fergie's last season but they were a shadow of the great teams of his 27-year-reign. It was by a distance the poorest Premier League season, a strange collection of incompetent challenges from United's main rivals.

The United midfield has been mediocre for more than the past month alone.

So it's over to you Fellaini.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

317491_heros.jpg

Mikel backs Eto'o to improve
The Cameroon international endured an underwhelming debut in defeat to Everton at Goodison Park, but the Nigerian believes his new team-mate will come good

316999_heros.jpg

Fellaini thanks fans after Man Utd debut
The Belgium international made his first appearance after joining former Everton boss David Moyes at Old Trafford this summer and was keen to acknowledge his fantastic welcome

317382_heros.jpg

Kolo Toure calls for Liverpool focus
The Ivorian wants his new club to retain their concentration as Brendan Rodgers looks to guide the Reds to a fourth consecutive Premier League win at Swansea on Monday

317002_heros.jpg

Enrique: Liverpool can fight for title
The Reds defender insists that finishing in the top four remains the club's primary target, while he is looking forward to welcoming Luis Suarez back into the team after his ban

317116_heros.jpg

Wenger impressed by 'sick' Ozil
The Gunners boss says his new signing was "outstanding" at the Stadium of Light in the victory over Sunderland despite not being fully fit

303751_heros.jpg

Manchester United target Shaw move
The Premier League champions hope to beat Arsenal and Chelsea to the 18-year-old Southampton star's signature, and view the left-back as a long-term replacement to Patrice Evra

317183_heros.jpg

Martinez hails Everton's spirit
Steven Naismith's header on the stroke of half secured a first Premier League victory for the Spaniard since taking charge at Goodison Park

317153_heros.jpg

AVB hails Sigurdsson double
The Iceland international netted both of Spurs' goals in a routine 2-0 victory at White Hart Lane and his manager believes there is more to come

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

14 September 2013
Last updated at 20:21 GMT

Paolo Di Canio regrets inviting referee to send him off

_69848880_mmftbplsunarsdicanio.jpg

Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio said he regrets inviting the referee to send him off during their controversial 3-1 home defeat by Arsenal.

The Italian was sent to the stand after arguing with referee Martin Atkinson over alleged Arsenal time-wasting.

"He came to me and said 'if you keep going with your manner I will send you up to the stand'," Di Canio explained. "I said if you want to complete a perfect job, you can send me off. He took it seriously and sent me off."

Di Canio, whose side sit bottom of the Premier League with one point from four games, added: "Next time I will never invite the referee to send me off because he took it seriously."

_69851916_hi019302345.jpg

Martin Atkinson and Paolo Di Canio

Before the second-half dismissal, Atkinson had sparked controversy by disallowing Jozy Altidore's goal for Sunderland. Battling to get his side back on level terms for a second time, Altidore brushed off Sagna's attempts to hold him back. His subsequent shot crept over the line before being hacked clear.

But Sunderland joy soon turned to anger when, instead of playing the advantage, Atkinson brought the game back for a Sunderland free-kick which curled harmlessly wide of Wojciech Szczesny's left-hand post.

Earlier, Craig Gardner's penalty had cancelled out Olivier Giroud's early strike with Aaron Ramsey restoring the visitors' lead before Altidore's goal that never was.
Ramsey then rubbed salt into the home side's wounds by scoring his fifth goal of the season.

_69847055_ramsey.jpg

Ramsey improvement dramatic - Wenger

It sealed a victory which takes the Gunners to the top of the fledgling Premier League table.

Di Canio, who has made plenty of headlines since becoming Sunderland boss towards the end of last season, has clamped down on perceived indiscipline at the Stadium of Light.
When asked about the disallowed goal, Di Canio said: "It was a mistake - the referee has the power to wait to see how the action finishes, and then he can come back to his decision.

"They have to wait. You could see Altidore is much more powerful than Sagna, he was shielding the ball well. It was clear he was near to winning the challenge. "That was a key moment because we can't imagine that we would have many more opportunities to score, so that decided the outcome of the game.

"That can happen. He is a man. It's important that he accepts this - I make mistakes every single moment when I make decisions with my players; my players make mistakes in front of goal."

His opposite number Arsene Wenger said: "Look, it's one of these things that are controversial because the referee had blown the whistle before the ball had gone in.

"If it's no goal, people moan because he didn't give the foul, and he could have given a foul on Sagna as well because both were holding each other off," explained the Arsenal boss.

"But we were a bit lucky, yes, because this kind of situation can go in your favour and can go in the favour of Sunderland."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes sets 30-goal target for Rooney

316983_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie22
Sep 16, 2013 7:24:00 AM

The Manchester United manager insists that the England international can form a partnership with Robin van Persie and says that he will not play the 27-year-old in midfield

Manchester United manager David Moyes has set Wayne Rooney a target of scoring 30 goals this season.

Following a pre-season which was disrupted by injury and transfer speculation, the 27-year-old forward netted his first strike of the campaign with a curling free kick against Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Rooney scored 16 times in all competitions for United last season and Moyes believes that the England international is capable of building an understanding with Robin van Persie.

"I will try to do that [get Rooney to 30 goals]," Moyes told reporters.

"I think Wayne's aim will be to do that as well. Hopefully we can make that happen.

"The hope is that we get a partnership where folk are saying, 'My goodness we are having to play against Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney'.

"Everybody is looking to see if those two form a partnership that can score lots of goals. I have to say I have also got Chicharito and Danny Welbeck. Danny has made a great start to the season."

Rooney's reduced tally last term was partly down to being played in midfield on occasions, a move which Moyes is reluctant to replicate this year.

"I can only see Wayne playing up top and playing as a forward for us," said the Scot.

"He has scored a lot of goals. It was down last year. But to be successful you need to have people who can score you 20 goals.

"I am hoping with Robin and Wayne you have two there who you would say they have it in them to do that. It was also good for us that Robin scored. A good start."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Chelsea are not unbeatable like in 2004

306977_heroa.jpg

By Arthur Virgo23
Sep 16, 2013 8:46:00 AM

The double Champions League-winning manager feels that his Blues side must convert more of their chances and will struggle to match the success of his first season at the club

Jose Mourinho warns that success with Chelsea will not come as quickly following his return to the Premier League as it did on his arrival in 2004.

Despite several chances, the Blues were beaten 1-0 away at Everton on Saturday after failing to cancel out Steven Naismith's goal just before half-time, the Portuguese's side having dropped five points from their first four games.

Mourinho dropped just seven points from his opening 13 league matches and lost just one all season upon his first appointment but insists that circumstances are different now.

"No, it is not 2004 all over again. Then we lost against Manchester City in October – our only defeat - but that is not the point. We are not unbeatable. This is a different team," he told reporters.

But the double Champions League-winning manager maintains that he will not accept poor results, arguing that his team will improve if they convert their chances.

"We are not a club who will accept in a cool way that things will come. We're going to chase it," he remarked. "I came here to work – I don't say peacefully because I am the first one that does not like to work peacefully – but to work with time, to develop the players and play the best they and we can.

"We have to be effective, be adult and not naive. That is what we have to work on. We have to transform the beautiful football we played into goals.

"The beginning of the season was hard. Away against Manchester United, away in the Super Cup against Bayern, and away against Everton but Saturday was the story of a team with 21 shots that couldn't score a goal. That is the beauty of football."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

17 September 2013 Last updated at 14:59 GMT

Thousands of original Hillsborough witnesses to be re-interviewed

_69886330_69886329.jpg

A total of 96 fans died as a result of the tragedy

Thousands of witnesses to the Hillsborough disaster are to be re-interviewed as part of the fresh investigation by the police watchdog.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) wants people who were at the stadium in 1989 to contact its team examining the police actions.

The IPCC said its investigation was the biggest undertaken into police conduct in England and Wales.

Ninety-six Liverpool fans died after a crush at the FA Cup semi-final.

The match against Nottingham Forest was held at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium on 15 April 1989. Ninety-five fans died on the day and another died of his injuries four years later.

Statement 'differences'

The IPCC's investigation, based in a mothballed building in Warrington, follows the damning report by the Hillsborough Independent Panel published last September.

The report concluded the lives of 41 fans could have been saved and cleared supporters of any wrongdoing or blame for the disaster.

Hillsborough investigations

Inquest

A fresh inquest headed by Lord Justice Goldring takes place on 31 March at a venue in North West England yet to be confirmed.

The original accidental death verdicts were quashed in December at the High Court after the Hillsborough Independent Panel found that 41 of the 96 who died had the "potential to survive".

Independent Police Complaints Commission

The IPCC is carrying out the largest investigation into alleged police misconduct in UK history, focusing on whether there was a criminal cover-up by South Yorkshire Police of the force's failings.

It is also examining the role of West Midland Police, which first investigated how the South Yorkshire force dealt with the tragedy.

Stoddart investigation

Former Durham Chief Constable Jon Stoddart is looking at the causes of the tragedy and the deaths and examining the actions of a range of organisations and bodies, including South Yorkshire Police.

The police section of the investigation is being managed by the IPCC.

It found South Yorkshire Police had altered more than 200 statements and tried to blame fans.

In the aftermath of the tragedy West Midlands Police was appointed to gather evidence on the original investigation for subsequent inquiries and inquests.

The IPCC has now revealed there were "differences" between fans' statements and questionnaires they returned to the West Midlands Police inquiry.

The police watchdog said it wished to speak to thousands of members of the public who gave those witness accounts either in writing, via telephone or interviews.

Deborah Glass, deputy chair of the IPCC, said the Hillsborough panel's report, had already raised "serious questions" about the work of the West Midlands force.

In the immediate aftermath of the tragedy, Lord Taylor began a judicial review assisted by West Midlands. The original inquiry into South Yorkshire Police formed the basis of the original inquests and brought no criminal charges.

The Hillsborough panel concluded last year that the South Yorkshire force had orchestrated a cover-up, falsified documents and blamed innocent supporters for the tragedy.

A separate investigation, led by retired chief constable Jon Stoddart, is looking at whether there are grounds for gross negligence manslaughter prosecutions with a number of public bodies connected with the tragedy.

'Terrible cloud'

His inquiry will provide evidence for the new inquest, set to start by 31 March 2014.

Ms Glass said: "We are now looking at how West Midlands Police conducted the investigation which supported the Taylor Inquiry and the original inquests.

"We know thousands of people gave eyewitness accounts to that investigation. We want to speak to those people about their experiences of dealing with West Midlands Police. We also know some of you may have never been able to give your account. This is your opportunity."

The IPCC wants to build the most comprehensive account there has ever been of what happened at Hillsborough from the people who were there on the day.

Ms Glass added: "There are still many questions to be answered for the families of the 96 fans who died; for the survivors who still live with the trauma of this unimaginable experience; for the people who lived under this terrible cloud for 24 years.

"The families, survivors and campaigners have fought tirelessly for the chance to allow your voices to be heard. Now that time has come."

Chris Mahaffey, a senior investigator, said: "When you make comparison with these questionnaires against other documentation that appears to come from the same person, there are differences. Who was actually directing this, if there was someone directing this?"

_69896956_96copy.jpg

Criminal charges will be considered after a fresh inquest into the 96 deaths

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lukaku's message for Mourinho: Everton is just the next step in my progression... I'll be back and even better next season

By DOMINIC KING PUBLISHED: 09:13 GMT, 17 September 2013 | UPDATED: 22:15 GMT, 17 September 2013

Romelu Lukaku has admitted he will use his season on loan at Everton as the perfect opportunity to show Jose Mourinho he deserves to be Chelsea’s main striker. The Belgium international will spend the campaign at Goodison Park, after Everton negotiated a move for him late on transfer deadline day and Lukaku believes he has a point to prove over the next nine months, both to himself and Chelsea.Having scored 17 goals for West Brom last season, Lukaku is aware he is under pressure to repeat that consistency if he is to be rated as top class operator in the Barclays Premier League rather than a flash in the pan.

article-2423319-1BD224A6000005DC-499_634x405.jpg

Getting shirty: Lukaku is unveiled at Goodison Park on Saturday night

article-2423319-1BD238AE000005DC-404_634x403.jpg

If he can do that, he expects Mourinho will sit up and take notice. Lukaku had an honest conversation with Mourinho before he left Stamford Bridge and is determined to remind his parent club of what they are missing.‘We had a very good conversation and (Mourinho) understands me completely,’ said Lukaku. ‘I think from day one when we spoke everything was very clear. He was very direct to me all the time, that's what I like about him – when he has a thought he is saying it from the start.

'He was always open if I had any suggestions. When I told him, he was OK with my decision. It was very important to go out and show myself again, because I don't want to be that player coming into the Premier League and doing well for one year then going into the background again.‘If you want to be prepared for a top club you have to be in a team where you play as much as possible.’

article-2423319-1B97345C000005DC-156_634x420.jpg

Hot prospect: The Belgian cost Chelsea a fee rising to £17m two years

Everton do not have an option to sign Lukaku permanently when his deal expires but, if things were not to work out how he wants them, Lukaku would be happy to consider Everton as a place to settle having been given a glowing recommendation by his compatriot Marouane Fellaini.‘He told me it was a good club and he was happy for me to come here but then he left at same time!’ said Lukaku. ‘He and Kevin Mirallas helped but Roberto Martinez convinced me. We spoke for 30 minutes on deadline day and he told me how he wanted to improve me. ‘He was saying the things I was already thinking about so when a young manager has the same mentality it's good to work with.’

article-2423319-1BD1836F000005DC-227_306x423.jpg
article-2423319-1BD24EEC000005DC-395_306x423.jpg

Convincing: Roberto Martinez (right) and Marouane Fellaini spoke to Lukaku before his switch to Merseyside

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea fans are biggest boozers, United supporters eat the most takeaways and Hammers love a crafty fag - why your team could be bad for your health

• 52% of Manchester United fans eat three takeaways a week
  • 48% of Chelsea supporters drink during matches - on average four pints
  • West Ham fans are the biggest smokers - 35% smoke on match days
By EMMA INNES PUBLISHED: 11:17 GMT, 17 September 2013 | UPDATED: 11:32 GMT, 17 September 2013

If you think the football season is only bad for your marriage, you may need to think again. New research shows that it is also bad for your waistline, your bank balance and your liver. The study has revealed which fans have the worst habits during the season.

article-2423369-1BD0E292000005DC-162_634x357.jpg

Eat that: Man United fans watched Wayne Rooney bend in a free-kick against Crystal Palace on Saturday

It showed that Arsenal fans are most likely to neglect their partner, with 63 per cent admitting they spend more time with their friends than their loved ones during the season. Manchester United supporters are the biggest lovers of takeaway food with 52 per cent saying they eat takeaways three times a week during the football season. The Diet Chef survey also revealed that Chelsea fans are the biggest drinkers – 48 per cent say they drink during matches and the average consumption is four pints per match.As a result, they consume 1,200 calories from beer alone during a match.
West Ham fans have been exposed as the biggest gamblers – they have an average gambling spend of £25 per game. They are also the heaviest smokers – 35 per cent of West Ham supporters smoke on match days.

article-2423369-1BD24A22000005DC-795_634x419.jpg

Thirsty work: Chelsea fans would have needed a pint after watching their side lose to Everton on Saturday

The poll also revealed that Manchester City fans put on the most weight during the football season – 34 per cent believe they go up by one waist size by the end of the winter. Being married to a Tottenham Hotspur fan is not desirable - 23 per cent of Spurs fans admit to neglecting their sex lives during the football season. The beautiful game is also bad for family life. Some 38 per cent of male fans miss out on family days out so they can watch the game. Finally, 52 per cent of supporters give up trying to eat healthily during the footie season and 40 per cent ditch their exercise regime. Izzy Cameron, Nutrition and Weight Management Specialist at Diet Chef said: ‘It’s been really interesting to see just how much football means to the men of Britain and what compromises they will make for their love of the beautiful game.

article-2423369-1BD6E94B000005DC-19_634x474.jpg

Worth a punt: West Ham fans enjoy a bet - but how many backed a goalless draw against Southampton?

‘The survey has shown just how easy it is to put on weight with many men not realising that this regular indulgence in snacks and alcohol can cause lasting damage. ‘During the footie season it’s easy to opt for the quickest and usually the unhealthiest options, but drinking large quantities of beer and eating takeaways can do a lot of damage to your health – four pints of beer amounts to almost half of a man’s daily calorie intake, that’s a significant amount when you think about how much will then be eaten as well. ‘It appears we could help male footie fans understand that snacking and enjoying the football doesn’t have to just revolve around bad habits, and that although you can enjoy yourself during the game, it doesn’t have to go on all season.’

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bale replaced Ozil in Madrid... now he wants to move into Arsenal star's Spanish mansion

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 22:17 GMT, 16 September 2013 | UPDATED: 12:39 GMT, 17 September 2013

Gareth Bale has already taken Mesut Ozil’s position as a galactico - now he is set to move into the Arsenal midfielder’s Madrid mansion.It is understood former Tottenham winger Bale and his partner Emma have viewed the property, which is said to be worth £1million, in the Spanish capital’s exclusive La Moraleja district.But the £86million world record signing, who scored on his debut in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Villarreal, will view other properties before making a decision.

article-0-1BDC5EDD000005DC-248_634x419.jpg

Settling in: Gareth Bale takes part in a training session on the eve of the Champions League match with Galatasaray

article-0-1BD1BA68000005DC-643_634x468.jpg

Trading places: Mesut Ozil has moved to London and Bale wants to move into his Madrid mansion

The house has been put on the market after Ozil’s £42m move to Arsenal. La Moraleja, known as the Beverley Hills of Madrid, is home to numerous Real stars. Cristiano Ronaldo has a property in the area, while David Beckham lived there during his time at the Bernabeu. Bale and his family are currently staying in the upmarket Sheraton Mirasierra Suites Hotel, in north Madrid.

article-0-1BDA254E000005DC-692_306x299.jpg
article-0-1BDA2487000005DC-515_306x299.jpg

A cut above: 18-year-old Real Madrid fan Jaime Gonzalez shows off his new look (right) after joining the craze to have a haircut like Bale

Meanwhile, Bale has sparked a mini-me craze in the city as fans flock to model themselves on the Welshman. A hairdresser offering trademark Bale cuts has been getting five customers a day since the player’s arrival last month.

Last edited:

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Roo had your chance! Mourinho rules out making any new signings in January

By RICHARD ARROWSMITH PUBLISHED: 11:10 GMT, 17 September 2013 | UPDATED: 12:19 GMT, 17 September 2013

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho claims the club are unlikely to dip back into the transfer market come January - potentially ruling out another move for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney. The England international was publicly courted by the Blues during the summer but eventually remained at Old Trafford after seeing two bids rejected. Mourinho turned to veteran Samuel Eto'o to carry the goal scoring burden and, although circumstances could change through injuries and suspensions, he insists the club have a squad to meet his expectations on all fronts this season without making any changes in January.

article-2423366-1BDFBBFC000005DC-48_634x468.jpg

PLeased: Jose Mourinho claims he has the squad to meet his expectations at Stamford Bridge this season

article-0-1BDFC604000005DC-538_306x423.jpg
article-0-1BDFC13A000005DC-17_306x423.jpg

Back up: Mourinho (left) moved for Samuel Eto'o (right) after it became clear Wayne Rooney wasn't leaving

article-0-1BDA6DA0000005DC-872_634x417.jpg

Smiling again: Wayne Rooney (right) looks set to stay at Old Trafford after an uncertain summer

The Portuguese told London24: 'I am happy with everybody and I don't want anyone to come in. That's what I want for January and that would be the perfect situation for us."'I will be happy if in January nothing happens with us. I spoke with the final group and I told them that I wish that in January everybody is happy and nobody wants to leave.
<center></center>

article-0-1BDFC09F000005DC-154_634x423.jpg

Task master: Jose Mourinho puts his 'perfect' squad through their paces at the Cobham training ground

article-0-1BDFC068000005DC-390_634x421.jpg

article-0-1BDFC27A000005DC-639_634x421.jpg

article-2423366-1BDFC3D7000005DC-53_306x423.jpg
article-2423366-1BDFC13E000005DC-496_306x423.jpg

Training day: Fernando Torres (left) and Frank Lampard (right) may be pleased that no new arrivals are coming

Although, Mourinho is pleased with his expensively assembled collection of players, he concedes that keeping all of his world-class internationals satisfied might prove the greatest challenge this season.'I don't know if I keep them happy. I'm happy because I have so many good players and I'm happy because doing well or wrong, I do it in an honest way.'I will let football speak and I will let football decide. So if one guy is the man of the match, he has to play the next match.'

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Prime Minister believes Spurs fans should not be charged for using Y-word... unless chants are motivated by hatred

By JOHN DRAYTON PUBLISHED: 11:03 GMT, 17 September 2013 | UPDATED: 11:04 GMT, 17 September 2013

Prime Minister David Cameron believes Tottenham fans who chant the word 'yid' should not be prosecuted, but only if they are not motivated by hatred. After the FA last week issued new guidance that infered fans will be liable to crininal charges if they use the word at Spurs games, Cameron has given his view which goes against some Jewish groups, who believe the word is offensive all of the time.

article-2423348-1BC31C65000005DC-109_634x444.jpg

His say: Cameron believes fans who used the word should not be prosecuted, unless it is used in hatred

article-2422018-02C340E9000004B0-530_634x422.jpg

Support: Tottenham fans will face no action for chanting the word 'Yid' last weekend

'You have to think of the mens rea,' said Cameron. 'There’s a difference between Spurs fans self-describing themselves as Yids and someone calling someone a Yid as an insult. 'You have to be motivated by hate. Hate speech should be prosecuted — but only when it’s motivated by hate.' The FA had previously said that the word is considered offensive, with a statement saying: 'Use of the term in a public setting could amount to a criminal offence, and leave those fans liable to prosecution and potentially a lengthy football banning order.'

article-2422018-1BD25E00000005DC-531_634x521.jpg

Debut: Fans chanted 'Yiddo' at Christian Eriksen (left), in action against Bradley Johnson

Spurs fans regularly used the word in the 2-0 win over Norwich on Saturday, but will not face FA charges.Chairman of the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust Darren Alexander said: 'There was a degree of defiance on Saturday and that was always going to happen with the way that the FA has gone about this.'This is something I have been dealing with for seven years and all of a sudden the FA have gone out on a limb by issuing this statement without proper consultation with the club or the fans.'

article-2417620-0566C4530000044D-332_634x440.jpg

Watch your language: Tottenham fans have been given a strong caution by the FA not to chant the word Yid

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Man Utd forecasts record revenues for 2013-14 season

Reuters September 18, 2013, 8:31 pm

2013_09_18t103205z_2_cbre98h0t8600_rtroptp_2_soccer_champions-193j0kb.jpg

LONDON (Reuters) - English soccer champions Manchester United have forecast record revenues of between 420 and 430 million pounds ($683.81 million) in 2013-14 helped by new television and sponsorship deals.

United, controlled by the American Glazer family, forecast underlying profit of 128-133 million pounds in the period to June 2014.

The targets were based on the team finishing third in the English Premier League and reaching the quarter-finals of the Champions League and domestic cups.

Revenues in the year to June 2013 came in at 363.2 million pounds ($577.6 million), just ahead of the club's forecast.

Profit was 108.6 million pounds, excluding items such as interest and tax payments.

(Writing by Keith Weir, editing by Kate Holton; 44 20 7542 8022)

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ferguson moves to end rift with revived Rooney after Chelsea interest fades

SIR ALEX FERGUSON has moved to end his rift with Wayne Rooney by hailing the striker’s rejuvenation at Manchester United.

By: Richard Tanner Published: Fri, September 20, 2013

alex-ferguson-430735.jpg

Ferguson hailed the way Rooney has buckled down [GETTY]

Ferguson’s claim that Rooney had asked for a move at the end of last season sparked a summer of intense speculation over the England striker’s future – with Chelsea having two bids rejected.

The breakdown of Rooney’s relationship with his former manager was one of the key reasons why he wanted to quit Old Trafford.

But with United due to start contract talks with Rooney before the end of the season, Ferguson has made the first move towards reconciliation.

He was at Old Trafford to see Rooney score a free-kick against Crystal Palace on Saturday before his double against Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday that made him only the fourth player in the club’s history to reach the 200-goal mark.

And Ferguson hailed the way he has buckled down under new manager David Moyes and returned to peak fitness and form.

Speaking for the first time since his retirement in May, he said: “I thought Wayne’s performance on Tuesday was fantastic.

“I was pleased to see he has got his energy back, his determination, his purpose to attack players, it was all very, very encouraging for me. And being a director now I am delighted to see that he’s back to how we always remember him.”

78120.jpg

Rooney has got his head in the game for United [PA]

Apart from having Sir Bobby Charlton’s club record in his long-term sights, Rooney can also set a new scoring record in Manchester derbies when United go to the Etihad Stadium on Sunday. He is level with former City players Franny Lee and Joe Hayes on 10.

Ferguson also gave a vote of confidence to Moyes’ early weeks as his successor, revealing how he rang him after his only defeat so far at Liverpool.

“The Liverpool game was agony,” he said.

“I spoke to David after the game and I told him that we had gone there 20-odd times over the years and we’d played worse than that and won games there. And I can’t believe the criticism of United in that game.

“I thought David was right – they did play well. Yeah, maybe they could have done with a goal, but in the context of my experience going to Liverpool – they hardly got into our box.

“So I was a bit frustrated by that game – I thought we deserved more. But they won well against Palace, which was a difficult game. Many times over the years teams have come to park the bus across the penalty box like that and they were very difficult to break down.

“I enjoyed Tuesday night against Leverkusen – I thought the team were terrific. There were a lot of key elements, apart from Wayne’s form. Also really important and key to the team is that if Vida [Nemanja Vidic] remains fit we have a fantastic chance. You have Robin van Persie and Rooney, forwards who can win games, you’ve got Antonio Valencia back to his best.

“He has changed the number of his jersey again – it’s amazing how that can affect a player. Maybe it was a great thing for him to do that. He used his initiative to go back to 25 [from No 7] and he was fantastic.

78121.jpg

Ferguson reckons Valencia is back to his best [ACTION IMAGES]

“Michael Carrick’s form has continued from last year, David De Gea’s is maturing, Patrice Evra’s is normal – there were a lot of fantastic plus points for me on Tuesday because Leverkusen are third in the German League. It was a difficult game, but United made it easy for themselves because they dominated.”

In an interview with United’s own television channel, Ferguson, 71, insists he does not regret his decision to retire after 26 years at the helm.

“I’ve enjoyed it. Obviously there are some things you miss and some things you don’t miss. I miss the banter in the dressing room and the training pitch.

“All the relationships I built over a long period with some of the staff who had worked me for such a long time like Les Kershaw, Dave Bushell, Brian McClair, Mike Phelan, Tony Whelan, Paul McGuiness – these guys were with me a long time so you miss all that.

“There are certain things you don’t miss – obviously the press conferences on a Friday that were replayed time and time again all day. But I’m relaxed about retiring. I left at the right time. It was a great period of my life being at United.”

Ferguson says he has recovered well enough from his hip operation to fly to the USA today for a short break. He said: “It has been seven weeks since my operation.

“I’m now able to walk and drive again. The one thing I have to be careful about is exercise. The gym and golf are out of the question, but I’m looking forward to the trip.”