• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Agence France-Presse
September 21, 2013 19:32

Football: Lambert upbeat on Benteke injury

photo_1379771459052-1-0.jpg

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert played down the gravity of an injury that forced key striker Christian Benteke off during his side's 1-0 win at Norwich City on Saturday.

Benteke hobbled off in the 28th minute after appearing to injure his hip, with new Czech signing Libor Kozak scoring the game's only goal within two minutes of coming on to take the Belgian's place.

Villa's top scorer last season with 19 league goals, Benteke collapsed as he attempted to come back onto the pitch after the initial injury, but he was smiling when he re-appeared in the dug-out during the second half.

"I think he's not too bad," Lambert told BT Sport after the game.

"I think he actually slipped, that was the initial injury. We'll see how he is, but I'm delighted for Libor to score his first goal. That's why we bought him, in case Christian got an injury."

It was Villa's first win since their 3-1 success at Arsenal on the Premier League season's opening day and ended a run of three consecutive defeats.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho blasts Gullit for suggesting personal Mata feud

318794_heroa.jpg

Sep 21, 2013 10:03:00 PM

The Special One responded spikily to the Dutchman's suggestion that he has fallen out with the Spaniard, while challenging his No.10 to prove himself against Swindon

By Liam Twomey at Stamford Bridge

Jose Mourinho has issued a withering response to Ruud Gullit's suggestion that Juan Mata's Chelsea exile is the result of a personal feud.

Speaking on Sky Sports, former Blues boss Gullit criticised the style of Mourinho's team so far this season and blasted the Portuguese's refusal to even include Mata in his squad to face Fulham, saying: "He was one of the best players last year, therefore it's something personal."

In Mata's absence, goals from Oscar and Jon Obi Mikel wrapped up a routine win which takes the Blues back to the top of the Premier League and ends a run of three consecutive defeats.

And when Gullit's theory was presented to Mourinho after the match, the Special One responded spikily.

"Gullit is a different type of pundit, because he is also a manager, and he shouldn't be a very proud manager for what he did in the past years," Mourinho said. "So I don't want to comment."

Mourinho also confirmed that Mata will play against Swindon in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday evening, along with several other players who did not feature against Fulham.

"Tuesday he will play from the beginning against Swindon, and the people who were not playing [against Fulham] are going to play - Juan, David [Luiz], Michael Essien, Bertrand, Azpilicueta.

"And I hope he tells me on the pitch 'You are wrong, I'm the best and I have to play every game'. I would love that.

"This is to be professional, and he's a top kid and a very good professional, so I'm waiting for a professional reaction."

Martin Jol, meanwhile, lamented his team's inability to trouble Chelsea more often during a first half in which they effectively stifled the Blues' attacking intentions.

"In the first 15 minutes they were very worried," he insisted. "They couldn't find any space, and couldn't find a solution, and that is the moment you have to punish them.

"In the second half we tried to do the same, but they stepped up a gear. They were more aggressive than us, and that showed in the first goal. We gave the ball away, and the second goal was a corner kick."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rooney: Manchester City not bigger rivals than Liverpool

319538_heroa.jpg

By Ewan Roberts17
Sep 21, 2013 9:46:00 AM

The 27-year-old does not believe Sunday's game will define the campaign, and says the Red Devils' rivalry with the Reds remains the club's most significant match of the year

Wayne Rooney says Manchester United's rivalry with Liverpool dwarfs the Manchester derby.

The reigning Premier League champions face Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday in a match that could have a bearing on the destination of the trophy come May, but the England international believes playing Liverpool provides a bigger occasion.

“They’re all big games. Obviously United and Liverpool has been a massive game over the years,” Rooney told reporters.

“City have had their success recently, but I would probably say that United and Liverpool is still the biggest game.”

But Rooney, who has scored seven goals in 19 league appearances against City, is aware of the importance of the match and is relishing going head to head with a fellow title contender.

“It’s a massive game between two title contenders,” Rooney continued. “It’s not going to define the season, but it’s a big game, a local derby.

“The English players are more aware of what it means after the last four or five years. It’s a big game and we’ll be going there hopefully to win. I’ve scored a few goals against City and I’m looking forward to the match.”

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Mata has to learn to play my way at Chelsea

319911_heroa.jpg

James Willoughby125
Sep 21, 2013 11:40:00 PM

The Blues boss has explained why he left the Spain international out of the squad to face Fulham and was delighted with his side's 2-0 victory at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says Juan Mata must learn to play how he wants and become more consistent, if he is to regain his place in the first team.

The Portuguese left Mata out of the squad for the Blues’ Premier League match against Fulham, with Oscar and John Obi Mikel scoring in a 2-0 win.

Mourinho reiterated his desire for the Spain international to adapt his game and explained why he had not been included in the match-day squad.

"As a number 10 he [Oscar] gives us creativity and he gives us ability to press up and defend," he told Sky Sports.

"Juan has to learn to play the way I want to play. He has to be more consistent, he has to be more participative when the team lose possession.

"I think it is not his fault, just the way he has played in recent years."

The result sees Mourinho’s men bounce back from a disappointing seven days, which included defeats to Everton and Basel and he was happy to return to winning ways.

"Against Everton we went home very, very sad and today we go home very, very happy,” he added.

"The result was better than the result against Everton. I still think that we played much better against Everton than we did today but points are also important.

"After a bad start, a start that everybody kept telling me is the worst start for about a decade [for Chelsea]…today I looked at the table, nobody is in front of us.

"The beauty of the Premier League is that everybody loses matches and everybody drops points. The top six teams have already had a defeat, so no dramas.

"I am aware we are not playing very well but we will work, we are top professionals and everybody is working hard."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fulham wants MJ's statue moved again

Sunday 22nd September, 2013

Michael-Jackson-statue-at-008.jpg

Mohammed al Fayed, former owner of Craven Cottage football stadium in Fulham, has requested that Michael Jackson's statue outside the ground should be relocated to his another property.

The statue was created in 2011 as a tribute to MJ.

The statue, which was commissioned after Michael's death in 2009, was originally planned to be located outside Harrods, an upmarket department store here, but when al Fayed sold the Knightsbridge store in 2010, the statue was put up at the football ground.

The club now belongs to US billionaire Shahid Khan and the new owner has extensive plans to revamp the riverside ground in which the statue doesn't feature, reports contactmusic.com.

"The statue is not part of the riverside development of the stadium and will be returned to the former chairman in due course," said a Fulham spokesperson.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villas-Boas insists Spurs don't miss Bale after Paulinho ensures justice prevails

By LAURIE WHITWELL PUBLISHED: 21:49 GMT, 22 September 2013 | UPDATED: 06:14 GMT, 23 September 2013

Andre Villas-Boas insisted justice had been done in Cardiff after Paulinho’s winner three minutes into added time sent Tottenham joint-top of the table with Arsenal. The Tottenham manager said: ‘Today there could only be one winner. We played so much football it would have been unfair to come out only with a point. There was a sense of some justice to the result. ‘We got rewarded for the number of chances we created. If it wasn’t for David Marshall (Cardiff’s goalkeeper) we could have had a more comfortable win.

article-2429457-182C9ED000000578-647_634x407.jpg

On the run: Paulinho celebrates after scoring the winner against Cardiff

‘It was very satisfying because I don’t see it being very easy for teams to come here and win.’ This was Spurs’ third 1-0 win of the campaign, and they have scored only five goals so far. But they have conceded only once — in defeat at Arsenal — and Villas-Boas said he was happy to gain victories in such fashion. He even said Tottenham were playing better than they had last season when inspired by Gareth Bale, who has since been sold to Real Madrid for £86million.

article-2429457-182C7AD200000578-646_634x392.jpg

Just reward: Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas reckons justice was done in Cardiff

‘Most of the games, we have created 10 or 20-plus chances so I am not worried,’ he said. ‘Last year with two strikers, we left ourselves exposed a little bit. We have more consistency throughout and play better football. We are able to control the games.’ Cardiff boss Malky Mackay had two moans, however, at referee Mark Clattenburg for chalking off a Ben Turner header for a tug on Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris. The officials also did nothing when Lloris appeared to handle outside his area when denying Fraizer Campbell. Mackay said: ‘I am disappointed with the disallowed goal. Hugo Lloris will see it tonight and realise he is a lucky man and the referee will be disappointed in his decision.

article-2429457-182C7B5D00000578-180_634x454.jpg

Not missed: Villas-Boas reckons Spurs are playing even better without Bale, who was forced to pull out before his Real Madrid home debut through injury

‘If you look at it again, Lloris has his hand on Gunnarsson and then completely misses the track of the ball, so, for me, it is a clear goal.’ Jermain Defoe was absent from the Spurs squad after injuring a groin muscle in training. He will have scans today to assess the damage. Spurs had 21 shots but had to wait until late for their goal after an inspired display from Cardiff goalkeeper Marshall, who looked unbeatable until beaten by Paulinho’s flick.

article-2429457-182C7AE100000578-484_634x536.jpg

Chopped off: Cardiff boss Mackay was unhappy that Ben Turner's goal was disallowed

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's blue heaven: City humble United... then Moyes gives his flops a hairdryer blast

By NEIL ASHTON
PUBLISHED: 23:15 GMT, 22 September 2013 | UPDATED: 06:10 GMT, 23 September 2013

David Moyes gave Manchester United’s shocked players the ‘hairdryer’ for the first time since he became manager after the humiliation at title rivals Manchester City.On a day when Arsenal returned to the top of the Barclays Premier League table by beating Stoke 3-1, Manuel Pellegrini’s City won 4-1 with goals from Sergio Aguero (2), Yaya Toure and Samir Nasri.Wayne Rooney curled a free-kick beyond Joe Hart late on, but it was too late to save pride and Moyes was livid with the performance in his first Manchester derby.

article-0-182C54BE00000578-270_306x423.jpg
article-0-182C513C00000578-426_306x423.jpg

Blast: David Moyes blasted his manchester United flops after thier embarrassing defeat in the derby

article-0-182C665400000578-160_634x422.jpg

Humiliating: Manchester United were outplayed in the 4-0 defeat

article-0-182BB13500000578-782_634x401.jpg

Double: Sergio Aguero scored twice in a brilliant performance for the blue half of Manchester

United have now lost twice in a stuttering start to their title defence but Moyes said: ‘The way they have been brought up, the way they have been bred with the manager previously, they react, and that’s what we’ll do here.‘We’ll make sure we react. Every manager has bad results. I’m no different. I just told the players the way I would have told players at any other club if I don’t think they’re doing it. They’re good players, they’re good pros, they know when they’re bang at it and when they’re not.‘Any manager who had been given that run of fixtures when they took over at this club would have found it difficult.

article-0-182C6B6700000578-40_634x497.jpg

Reaction: Moyes hopes his side will bounce back against West Brom next weekend

article-0-182BD3BE00000578-918_634x373.jpg

Simplicity: All four of Manchester City's goals were avoidable for Manchester United

article-0-182C595500000578-379_634x462.jpg

Rout: Samir Nasri celebrates scoring the fourth goal

‘We played very well in midweek. There was no reason for us not to perform well today but it’s one game, there is plenty more to come and plenty of time for us to try to fix it. I’ve made them aware of that. If ever there was a group of players I’d expect that from it would be a group of Manchester United players.’United were without Robin van Persie — who scored the winner in their 3-2 victory at the Etihad last season — after he was ruled out with a groin injury.

article-0-182B9EC200000578-915_634x420.jpg

Missing in action: Talisman Robin van Persie was missing for the Red Devils

Moyes also demanded a reaction from his players on Wednesday night, when they face Liverpool in the Capital One Cup third round at Old Trafford. Moyes added: ‘We didn’t start well and City were the better team. They got control. We found it difficult to contain them.‘In time I will have a better understanding of the players.’

article-2429673-182C25E300000578-390_634x403.jpg

Battle of wits: Manuel Pellegrini won the battle between the new managers

article-2429673-182C351600000578-259_634x406.jpg

Desire: Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany said the game 'meant more' to his side than their rivals

This was a stunning result for City in Pellegrini’s first Manchester derby. And the Chilean, whose side climb to third place, is convinced he has landed a huge psychological blow on United, saying: ‘It was very important. You don’t expect to win 4-1 against Manchester United. It’s very big and the way we did it is always important.‘Normally derbies are more even. But we had a very good day and that allowed us to have superiority against United.‘We will enjoy this. It gives the team a lot of confidence. We are just starting another style of play and I hope to keep improving.’

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Di Canio sacked by Sunderland after ANOTHER bust-up with players brings 13-match reign to end

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 20:38 GMT, 22 September 2013 | UPDATED: 06:50 GMT, 23 September 2013

Paolo Di Canio's tumultuous reign as Sunderland manager came to an end after his players turned on him during a furious training ground bust-up.The fiery Italian called his stars in for a crisis meeting at the club’s Cleadon training ground on Sunday following their disappointing 3-0 defeat at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.But the summit quickly turned sour after Di Canio pointed the finger at a number of his players, blaming them for their poor start to the season.

article-0-182507F200000578-747_634x429.jpg

Short stint: Paolo Di Canio's spell on Wearside has been terminated by Sunderland

article-2429468-18254D2700000578-498_306x430.jpg
article-2429468-1824D75500000578-803_306x430.jpg

Stand-off: Di Canio faced up to the visiting fans after his side's defeat at West Brom

DI CANIO'S PREMIER LEAGUE RECORD AT SUNDERLAND

GWDLGFGAWIN%
12 2 3 7 11 22 17%

<tbody>
</tbody>

A clutch of his players, however, are understood to have responded angrily at Di Canio’s dressing down, telling the Italian in no uncertain terms what they thought of him.It is believed certain players told the manager, who signed 14 players during the summer transfer window, they did not like him and did not want to play for him.Di Canio is then said to have told his disgruntled players to tell the club’s hierarchy to sack him if they no longer wanted him in charge.
<center></center>

article-2429468-18267AF500000578-783_634x430.jpg

All too much: Sunderland fans made their feelings clear to Di Canio while one young supporter was left in tears

article-2429468-1826731F00000578-172_634x417.jpg

All too much: Sunderland fans made their feelings clear to Di Canio while one young supporter was left in tears

SUNDERLAND STATEMENT ON THE SACKING OF THE ITALIAN

‘Sunderland AFC confirms that it has parted company with Head Coach Paolo Di Canio this evening. Kevin Ball will take charge of the squad ahead of Tuesday night’s Capital One Cup game against Peterborough United and an announcement will be made in due course regarding a permanent successor. The club would like to place on record its thanks to Paolo and his staff and wishes them well for the future.’

Sportsmail understands details of the stand-off were quickly relayed back to Ellis Short, who has taken the decision to axe the manager after just six months in charge. Short immediately informed director of football Roberto Di Fanti of his decision. A players’ meeting has been called for this morning, where the squad will be informed of the decision to let him go. Di Canio will also return to the club’s HQ for the final time Monday to pick up his belongings.

article-2429468-19109D95000005DC-611_634x455.jpg

Controversy: Di Canio arrived at the club to much controversy

article-2429468-19672783000005DC-126_634x439.jpg

Great result: The Italian won the approval of the fans with a brilliant win over arch-rivals Newcastle at St James' Park

article-2429468-19498596000005DC-981_634x467.jpg

Antics: His passionate touchline antics were appreciated by Sunderland fans

article-2429468-1824FAE400000578-582_634x395.jpg

The final insult: Former Sunderland player Stephane Sessegnon - who was derided by Di Canio in midweek - netted for West Brom

article-2429468-1824FB3200000578-601_634x416.jpg

Mixed emotions: The dejection of the Sunderland players is there for all to see at The Hawthorns

DI CANIO'S 14-MATCH REIGN

2012-13
April 7 - Chelsea 2 Sunderland 1 (L)
Apr 14 - Newcastle 0 Sunderland 3 (W)
Apr 20 - Sunderland 1 Everton 0 (W)
Apr 29 - Aston Villa 6 Sunderland 1 (L)
May 6 - Sunderland 1 Stoke 1 (D)
May 12 - Sunderland 1 Southampton 1 (D)
May 19 - Tottenham 1 Sunderland 0 (L)

2013-14
August 17 - Sunderland 0 Fulham 1 (L)
Aug 24 - Southampton 1 Sunderland 1 (D)
Aug 27 - Sunderland 4 MK Dons 2 [Capital One Cup](W)
Aug 31 - Crystal Palace 3 Sunderland 1 (L)
September 14 - Sunderland 1 Arsenal 3 (L)
Sep 21 - West Brom 3 Sunderland 0 (L)

On Saturday, Di Canio accused his Sunderland players of having 'rubbish in their brains' after they slumped to a 3-0 defeat at West Brom on Saturday. The fiery Italian had a bizarre stand-off with the travelling fans after the final whistle, staring at them when some supporters made abusive gestures.'It is my responsibility to receive their negative energy,' he said.

'It was a bad day for everybody. I wanted to show them I will never give up. We have to keep together. I still believe in myself. I will never change.
'The players need to release the rubbish from their brains. They have to have more confrontation, more anger with each other.
'They need to look into each other's eyes. They lost their belief after 20 minutes. They turned their faces away. They must try to discover their mentality.
'One result could be good medicine. One win and everything will become clear. As an honest, intelligent person, I know we have to quickly get out of this situation. Someone in 10th position can get sacked, but I am not worried about my job. But I am worried about the results.
'You will have to ask the board about me. They will of course ask why we are bottom of the table and think about their decisions. If we continue to lose, lose, lose, there will be consequences.'

It proved to be the final straw, however, as a Black Cats statement confirmed Di Canio’s departure.It read: ‘Sunderland AFC confirms that it has parted company with head coach Paolo Di Canio this evening.‘Kevin Ball will take charge of the squad ahead of Tuesday night’s Capital One Cup game against Peterborough United and an announcement will be made in due course regarding a permanent successor.

article-2429468-182D1FCC00000578-876_634x430.jpg

End of the road: Di Canio will return to the Academy of Light training ground on Monday to collect his belongings after being axed

‘The club would like to place on record its thanks to Paolo and his staff and wishes them well for the future.’ Short wanted to give Di Canio until after the international break to turn things around - but details of the angry confrontation has forced the issue.Sunderland remain bottom of the Barclays Premier League without a win - and with fixtures against Manchester United and Liverpool on the horizon the task of climbing up the table will not be easier.Celtic manager Neil Lennon and former Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo will be contenders to replace Di Canio.Di Canio arrived at the Stadium of Light in March, taking over from Martin O’Neill.

The Italian’s appointment had the desired effect as he saved the club from relegation but a series of bust-ups with his players placed huge question marks over his position at the club.Members of the squad have been incensed by the former West Ham forward’s decision to publicly criticise players and have complained privately about his strict training regime.It seems yet another confrontation has hammered the final nail in Di Canio’s Sunderland coffin.

OUT WITH THE OLD AND IN WITH THE ITALIAN WHEN DI CANIO ARRIVED

Di Canio launched an Italian takeover at Sunderland in his first full day in charge at the Stadium of Light back in April. Following his controversial appointment, he was given full rein to pick his backroom staff. Fabrizio Piccareta, who was his assistant at previous club Swindon Town, joined him as first-team coach. Domenico Doardo joined as goalkeeping coach, Claudio Donatelli joined as fitness coach, and Giulio Viscardi completed the new-look backroom staff as physiotherapist and masseur. The four all served alongside Di Canio at Swindon from May 2011 to February 2013. Steve Walford, Steve Guppy, Jim Henry and Seamus McDonagh all followed Martin O'Neill out of the club.

article-2429468-1BEBB310000005DC-795_634x429.jpg

New faces: Di Canio brought in 14 new players this summer including Jozy Altidore and Modibo Diakite (below)

article-2429468-1BD0CDE3000005DC-166_634x392.jpg

article-2429468-19E33773000005DC-264_634x550.jpg

Abrasive: Di Canio was said to have fallen out with a number of players, including Phil Bardsley who was sold after being pictured in a casino surrounded by £20 notes

DI CANIO'S FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE IN CHARGE AT THE STADIUM OF LIGHT

Not for the first time, Paolo Di Canio left supporters open-mouthed at the Hawthorns on Saturday. After the 3-0 loss to West Brom, he marched up to the 2,500 visiting Sunderland fans and attempted to communicate with them.

He shrugged his shoulders, opened his arms then finally walked away as he received a mixed reaction. Later, Di Canio tried to explain his actions. It was to be his final press conference as Sunderland’s manager:

What were you trying to say to the fans?

Pick me. Blame me. Leave the players out. I have no worries about that because they (supporters) are right. They are absolutely right. If I was in their position, I would be more furious than them.

Some of them did blame you — do you understand that?

Absolutely. I did much worse when I was a fan. I can’t tell you what I did, otherwise I will be arrested. But I hope that one day those people will celebrate with a smile. They pay, they suffer, make sacrifices. One day I will leave, the players will leave, but they will remain.

Can you turn this round?

I believe in what I’m doing. I do this because I believe in my regime. My regime is for top, top professionals.

Discipline, practice. We completely dominated the game. The first ball in our box, our opponents scored. Then we lost our belief and finished playing football.
One win could turn this round.

Do you fear for your position?

You have to ask the chairman, Ellis Short and the board. It’s normal to think about what’s going on. If we keep going lose, lose, lose, it will be a natural consequence, not only for Paolo Di Canio... but what’s the result in the end?

How do you know the players still have faith in you?

I believe they are following me. I want them to share responsibility. Don’t turn your face to the other side. It’s better to have a confrontation. Look in each other’s eyes.
Fake Di Canio? It doesn’t work.

Would you ever walk away?

What? Never. I always believe that I am the best manager in the world. Those 24 players have to adapt to me. It doesn’t work the other way round.

SUNDERLAND'S TRANSFER CAROUSEL SINCE PAOLO DI CANIO ARRIVED

INS: Modibo Diakite (Lazio, free), Duncan Watmore (Altrincham, undisclosed), Valentin Roberge (Maritimo, free), Cabral (Basle, free), David Moberg Karlsson (IFK Gothenburg, free), Vito Mannone (Arsenal, £2m), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar, £6m), El Hadji Ba (Le Havre, undisclosed), Emanuele Giaccherini (Juventus, £8.6m), Ondrej Celustka (Trabzonspor, season-long loan), Charis Mavrias (Panathinaikos, £2.5m), Ki Sung-yueng (Swansea, season-long loan), Fabio Borini (Liverpool, season-long loan), Andrea Dossena (Napoli, season-long loan).

OUTS: Ahmed Elmohamady (Hull, £2m), James McClean (Wigan, £2m), Titus Bramble (released), Matthew Kilgallon (Blackburn, free), Ryan Noble (Burnley, free), Alfred N'Diaye (Eskisehirspor, season-long loan), Simon Mignolet (Liverpool, £9m) Danny Graham (Hull, season-long loan), Billy Knott (Wycombe, one-month loan), Stephane Sessegnon (West Brom, £6m).

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lennon, Di Matteo, Poyet or Pulis - who are the candidates to replace Di Canio?

PUBLISHED: 23:54 GMT, 22 September 2013 | UPDATED: 06:54 GMT, 23 September 2013

Sunderland's decision to part company with head coach Paolo Di Canio means there is a vacancy at the Stadium of Light.Whoever takes over will have a tough job on their hands with the Black Cats propping up the Barclays Premier League after a poor start to the season.Who are the top contenders to replace the departed Italian?

article-2429683-1BD21589000005DC-769_634x467.jpg

Sacked: Paolo Di Canio was sacked as the manager of Sunderland late on Sunday night

Neil Lennon

The Celtic boss is one of the leading contenders to take over at the Stadium of Light. He has been in charge at Parkhead since March 2010 an has won the Scottish championship two times.Former Leciester midfielder Lennon, 42, has revealed in the past that he would one day love the chance to manage in the Premier League but will the vacant Sunderland post be enough to lure him away from the Champions League?

article-2429683-1824A19A00000578-920_634x478.jpg

In the frame: Celtic boss Neil Lennon is one of the contenders to replace Di Canio in charge of Sunderland

Roberto Di Matteo

Has been out of work since being sacked as Chelsea boss in November 2012. Started his managerial career at Milton Keynes Dons before joining West Brom. Led the Baggies to promotion to the top flight but was dismissed in February 2011. Gained his big break when he was appointed as Andre Villas-Boas' assistant at Chelsea before becoming caretaker boss when the Portuguese was sacked. Promptly led the Blues to an FA Cup and Champions League double. Became permanent manager in June 2012 but lasted just five months before the axe fell.

article-0-16256581000005DC-163_634x423.jpg

European champion: Roberto Di Matteo won the Champions League in 2012 but has been out of work since

Gus Poyet

Left Brighton in acrimonious circumstances but won many admirers on the south coast for a style of play which led the Seagulls to promotion out of League One and to the Championship play-offs. A former Uruguay international, also enjoyed playing spells with Chelsea and Spurs in England.

article-0-19DAAAF2000005DC-279_634x392.jpg

Stylish: Gus Poyet left Brighton in acrimonious circumstances but he won over many fans with his style of football

Steve McClaren

Still mocked by many for his disastrous spell in charge of England, McClaren's club record is not without merit. Cut his managerial teeth at Middlesbrough before taking on the Three Lions job which ended in the sack after failing to guide the side to the 2008 European Championship finals. Rebuilt his reputation by leading FC Twente to the Eredivisie title but struggled subsequently at Wolfsburg, Nottingham Forest and in a second spell at Twente.

article-0-09608A14000005DC-811_634x420.jpg

Tainted: Steve McLaren is still mocked for his England spell despite heaps of success elsewhere

Tony Pulis

Left Stoke after a hugely successful seven year spell - his second at the club. Guided the Potters from a mid-table Championship outfit into a formidable Premier League force. Unlikely to be a popular choice given his reputation for long-ball football.

article-0-0327D4A200000514-262_634x422.jpg

Unpopular: Unlikley to be a popular choice given his style of play but his record is undeniably good

Ally McCoist

A former Sunderland striker, albeit with little success, McCoist took over as Rangers boss in 2011 but was powerless to prevent the club being relegated to the fourth tier of Scottish football for off-the-field misdemeanours. Won promotion last season and would surely be tempted by the chance to try his luck south of the border.

article-0-182B336D00000578-85_634x525.jpg

Tempted? Rangers are still in the second division there are many off-field problems Allly McCoist isn't happy about

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool anxious for Suarez return as striker causes nightmares for team-mates

By DOMINIC KING
PUBLISHED: 22:01 GMT, 22 September 2013 | UPDATED: 22:09 GMT, 22 September 2013

Defending for Liverpool was problematic on Saturday but, according to Kolo Toure, it wasn’t as hard as it had been at Melwood in the days before Southampton’s visit. ‘Luis Suarez has been very difficult to play against in training lately — very, very difficult,’ said Toure. ‘His return is going to be massive for us, definitely. He is a winner. He wants to win. I’m sure he will be ready to be thrown back in.’

article-2429612-182A30B100000578-145_634x434.jpg

All set: Luis Suarez on the training ground at Melwood ahead of his return

If there was any doubt about whether Suarez will be handed an instant recall against Manchester United on Wednesday, now that his 10-game ban for biting Branislav Ivanovic is over, it was removed by an abysmal Liverpool performance, one of their worst under Brendan Rodgers. Liverpool have coped remarkably while Suarez has been out but Southampton was a game too far. Insipid and lacking imagination, laboured and lacking threat, the only positive Rodgers could draw from his side’s first defeat of the campaign was about Suarez. For all the positive news that have come out of Anfield since the campaign started, the simple truth remains that they do not have enough world-class players and the loss to a well-organised and efficient Southampton team exposed their shortcomings.

article-2429612-1824276E00000578-344_634x404.jpg

In the stands: Suarez will return against Manchester United after his ban ended after Saturday's match against Southampton

It is risible to think, then, that Rodgers will do anything other than play Suarez from the start at Old Trafford on Wednesday in the Capital One Cup. The importance of this third-round tie in Liverpool’s season cannot be underestimated, as it is a competition they need to do well in. ‘Suarez is a fantastic player,’ Toure continued. ‘He is a top striker who can score a goal at any time. We have had Daniel Sturridge playing so well for us but Suarez will strengthen the team. The two of them will be a very strong partnership. Mobile and very strong. ‘Will he be ready? You saw from his international appearance the other week, in the first game he’d played for a while he scored twice (for Uruguay). That just shows how strong a guy he is. Suarez is a fighter. We want those kind of players in our team.’

article-2429612-182551E100000578-775_634x401.jpg

Open arms: Toure can't wait to have Suarez back in the Liverpool team

Suarez apart, the team Rodgers selects at Old Trafford will make for intriguing viewing. He took the unusual step of fielding four central defenders against Southampton but the tactic backfired and the goal they conceded to Dejan Lovren was entirely of their own making. ‘It (the four central defenders) raised a couple of eyebrows,’ said Southampton captain Adam Lallana, for whom victory tasted a little sweeter given he was a boyhood Everton fan. ‘They like to play out from the back and we just played a high-pressing game. We made them play long.’

article-2429612-1824395000000578-138_634x423.jpg

Winner: Dejan Lovren celebrates after scoring for Southampton against Liverpool

That will have been noted by the United scouting delegation inside Anfield. Rodgers, however, is adamant a different Liverpool will be on show at Old Trafford. Suarez, after all, will make an enormous difference. ‘It’s something that we would hope now gets a response out of the players,’ said Rodgers. ‘This has hurt. But we will put it behind us and move on. We’ve got one of the world’s leading strikers coming back. That will give us a lift.’

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes slams fixture list after Man City mauling

320158_heroa.jpg

By Jay Jaffa73
Sep 23, 2013 12:12:00 AM

The Scot has previously made a similar complaint, citing the club's tough start to the season which saw Manchester United lose at Liverpool and draw 0-0 with Chelsea

Manchester United manager David Moyes has again called into question the legitimacy of the Premier League fixture computer pointing to the club’s tough start to the season.

Moyes watched his side succumb to a brilliant Manchester City performance, losing 4-1 at the Etihad Stadium in the Manchester derby on Sunday and sit eighth in the table after five matches.

And the Scot lamented the difficult start his side have had - a complaint he has made once before.

He told Sky Sports: "[Our start] could be a lot better but we did say it was a difficult start and I said at the time, the balls the way that they came out of the Premier League bag I wasn't convinced and I'm still not."

United lost 1-0 at Liverpool and were held to a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford by Chelsea earlier in the campaign, and Moyes had no complaints over the heavy loss to their Manchester rivals.

He said: "We didn't play well, they were better. They started much stronger, much quicker than us.

“But we'll get better, there's a long season to go, so we'll put this behind us and move on.

"I thought Manchester City were very good, we weren't, I've got to say, but City started the game really well and we really could have done with going in at half-time 1-0 down.

“Losing the second goal changes it a little bit but they came out strong again in the second half.

"I just think they got a grip of the game early on, we didn't, and we never really got to grips with their midfield players in the early part of the game.

“Because of that, they started dominating. So we had to be stronger, we weren't, but great credit to the lads, they kept going and working away at the end and got a goal back.

"Whatever manager loses a game, you get on in the next one and try and win it. You just play the next game, you see how you go but obviously we'll be doing everything we can to win the next one."

Moyes did reserve special praise for Wayne Rooney, who netted the Red Devils’ consolation goal with a pinpoint free kick in the latter stages, but denied it added a shine to the defeat.

"No it didn't do that,” he added. “What I would say is that I thought Rooney's performance today was outstanding and he certainly didn't deserve to be in a losing team, he was first class."

"You don't want to lose but it doesn't matter who you play, a derby or someone else, you don't want to lose but it does make it worse when you want to do so well for your supporters.

“I thought our supporters were great today under the circumstances."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

23 September 2013
Last updated at 15:09 GMT

Luis Suarez: Liverpool boss yet to make decision on striker

_70074835_70074834.jpg

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has not decided whether Luis Suarez will start at Manchester United but says the striker is "really champing at the bit to help the team" after his ban.

Suarez, 26, has completed his 10-match suspension for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic in April. He could now return for Wednesday's League Cup third-round tie.

"He'll travel and we'll reflect over the next 24 hours whether he starts," Rodgers said.

Liverpool's unbeaten start to the season was ended on Saturday by Southampton, although Rodgers felt the blow of losing 1-0 at home was eased by the imminent return of the Uruguay international.

Suarez has been playing in games organised for him by the club and represented Uruguay earlier this month in World Cup qualifiers.

The striker, who was heavily linked with a move away from the club over the summer and wanted to join Arsenal, scored twice against Peru in September and Rodgers said he had no doubt the forward was ready to return.

"It has been a really difficult time for him not playing games," added the Liverpool manager.

"How he has prepared himself over the last number of weeks has been fantastic. Everyone knows the depth of his quality and his attitude.

"Once he gets back on the field again he will show what he has shown since he's been here."

Suarez joined Liverpool from Ajax in January 2011 for £22.7m and has scored 51 goals in 96 appearances.

The forward already has experience of returning from a lengthy ban for the Reds, having served an eight-match suspension in December that year for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There's not a €50m difference between Bale & Ozil, says Lehmann

320326_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie142
Sep 24, 2013 10:47:00 AM

The 43-year-old admits Arsenal paid too much for the Germany international but says the market was influenced by Real Madrid 'losing the plot' over their move for the Welshman

Former Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann insists there is not a €50 million difference between Mesut Ozil and Gareth Bale.

The Wales international's world-record £86m move from Tottenham in the summer transfer window paved the way for Ozil's switch to Arsene Wenger's side in a £42m deal.

Lehmann believes Arsenal's acquisition of the German midfielder represents better value and says the Spanish club's inflated prices dictate the high transfer fees paid elsewhere.

"In all honesty, Arsenal paid too much for Mesut Ozil, but that’s because Gareth Bale went to Real Madrid for so much more money. Nobody is worth that much," Lehmann told Spox.

"The Ozil deal was much better. I don’t see a €50m difference between the two players. That’s how that market works when a club like Real Madrid loses the plot."

Ozil already has four assists in the Premier League this season, and had a hand in all three of Arsenal's goals against Stoke as the Gunners climbed to the top of the table.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

David Moyes warns of 'more blows' to come at Manchester United

• Scot admits to difficult start as Old Trafford manager
• Robin van Persie out of Capital One Cup tie with Liverpool

Daniel Taylor
The Guardian, Tuesday 24 September 2013 22.29 BST

David-Moyes-believes-Manc-010.jpg

David Moyes believes Manchester United need to sign 'one or two' players who can so straight into the first-team. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

David Moyes has admitted he might have to "take a few more blows" in his first season as Manchester United manager, warning there will be more difficult times to come as he tries to make the handover from Sir Alex Ferguson as seamless as possible.

Moyes, who missed out on several targets during the transfer window, said he was "shocked" by the 4-1 thrashing against Manchester City on Sunday, and indicated for the first time that the team he inherited from Ferguson had obvious deficiencies. The former Everton manager has previously talked about a side who are capable of winning the Premier League and Champions League, but now appears to have his own doubts about their quality. "I think a lot of people thought Manchester United [winning the title] last season, that it was probably the form of the other teams that was poor," he said.

Moyes had not initially planned to hold a press conference to preview Wednesday's Capital One Cup tie against Liverpool but changed his mind after the City defeat. "I think it's important that I took the punches," he explained. "I've taken the punches and I'm happy to do that. Not for a minute did I think this Manchester United job was going to be an easy job. There will be days like we had on Sunday and there might be more of them because we are in a period where there will be transition, there's a new manager for the players and, in turn, there will be new players.

"I don't think it's actually the squad, I think we've got numbers. I think maybe we've got work to do to bring in players not for the squad but to go right into the team. It's not necessarily the squad players we needed, we needed one or two who might have gone in [to the team]. That will happen. But going back to that transfer window, we always said it was going to be a tough one and it was going to take a little bit more time.

"It does mean I may have to take a few more blows, definitely. Maybe even more than that. Maybe all season I have to take a few blows but I knew this was going to be the case because I was taking over from a great manager and it was always going to take time for me to get my own ways and change things round a little bit."

Liverpool have already beaten United this season and Moyes, still missing the injured Robin van Persie, must decide whether to stick to the club's usual policy of using younger players in this competition or fielding a stronger side than he had originally planned to lessen the risk of a bad few days getting any worse.

"I think the team has played well [overall]. If you were being really fair you'd have to say that Manchester United have played well, but that [City] was a poor performance, really. We have not played badly except at Manchester City.

"We looked quite easy to play against, which is not the norm for Manchester United. I think the one thing here is that any team should always have a hard game against Manchester United. But I thought we were just too easy to play against. It was the basics. I hadn't seen that before. I also have to say I hadn't seen that level of performance from Manchester City either. But I hadn't seen that poor a performance from us, so there was quite a contrast."

City, by Moyes's own admission, might have made his first experience of the Manchester derby even more harrowing, the United manager accepting that Manuel Pellegrini's team had looked capable of scoring six or seven when they took a 4-0 lead early in the second half. "I'm not daft. I know we were in real danger at that moment. I took a little bit [of encouragement] that we tried to make sure nothing went any further because at that time it could have. But, by that time, Manchester City knew they didn't have to do any more, so I'm also aware of that."

Van Persie is still troubled by a groin injury, with Moyes rating him as having only an "outside chance" for Saturday's game at home to West Bromwich Albion.

"You just hope there will be a reaction and I'm sure there will be," United's manager continued. "When you've got the players we have, I can see it written all over their faces how they feel.

"It doesn't really matter whether I have seen a reaction [in training]. The reaction has to be seen when you people [media and public] can see it. I'm still getting to know all the players here. I'll get a chance to know more of them this week, and hopefully they will show what they can do."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villas-Boas: Mourinho didn't want me as his No.2

308262_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie44
Sep 26, 2013 1:55:00 PM

The 35-year-old believes he had more to offer the Chelsea manager when the pair worked together, which led him to take his first step into management

Andre Villas-Boas has revealed one of the reasons he became a manager was because he was denied the influence he craved under Jose Mourinho.

The 35-year-old will face a side managed by Mourinho for the first time this Saturday as Tottenham host Chelsea at White Hart Lane.

Villas-Boas, who worked under the Chelsea boss at Porto and Inter before taking charge of the Portuguese side Academica de Coimbra in October 2009, says he separated from the 50-year-old because he wanted more freedom in his career.

"I was never his number two," Villas-Boas told L'Equipe.

"I was part of his staff, but I was never his assistant. That's one of the reasons we went our separate ways. I thought I could give him a lot more, but he didn't feel the need to have someone next to him.

"So I decided to give myself freedom and think about my career, which wasn't difficult. Yes, there are similarities: Porto, Chelsea. But he has had a lot of success at Chelsea and I didn't have a good experience there."

Villas-Boas insists comparisons between himself and Mourinho are not accurate and claims he has an entirely different approach to management when compared with the Chelsea coach.

"The comparisons are difficult to accept for different reasons," Villas-Boas continued.

"When you start your coaching career, everyone looks at where you come from. I learned with Jose Mourinho, but I'm completely different to him in terms of personality, way of working and communication.

"We have different philosophies. Of course, Jose has been very important in my career, he's enabled me to step back and look at things, and given me experience that I would not have been able to have with anyone else.

"We had a super working relationship, we won, but as soon as we parted ways, I started doing things my way. The comparisons come from the media. And the first difference is our personalities."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villas-Boas predicts 'tightest Premier League in years'

278347_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson4
Sep 26, 2013 6:22:00 PM

The Tottenham manager is expecting Arsenal, Man United and Co. to slip up and sees Saturday's clash with rivals Chelsea as a platform to build upon

Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas believes the Premier League this season will be one of the tighest in recent years ahead of the visit of Chelsea on Saturday.

The White Hart Lane outfit were one of the division's busiest teams during the summer, with the likes of Paulinho, Roberto Soldado and Erik Lamela all breaking their transfer record as the club pre-empted the world-record sale of Gareth Bale to Real Madrid.

Tottenham have won four of their first five games this term, and host rivals Chelsea on Saturday, and manager Villas-Boas says the game will give him an indication of what the club can achieve this term.

"We want to do well against a team that won the European Cup two years ago, won the Europa League that we wanted so much last season. This is the kind of game that you can measure the kind of challenges you might have," Villas-Boas told reporters.

"What is happening to us now puts us in a positive mood and we have to collect as many points as possible based on the positive mood we are developing, but it can change very, very quickly.

"At the moment we are on a good run, but there are no clubs on maximum points and this year will be very tight at the top. [Manchester] United are struggling for points, but they have played all the top team at the beginning of the season.

"This will probably become the tightest Premier League in years. It's important for everybody [to win this game]. It would be extremely good to build on our positive start, especially against a good team."

The fixture sees Villas-Boas come up against Jose Mourinho, for whom he worked as a scout and coach at Porto, Chelsea and Inter.

He said he enjoyed an "excellent" relationship with the former Real Madrid manager, but had to move on to match his personal goals.

"Our break-up point was because I was full of ambition to give him something extra and I wanted further involvement than the job I was doing at that time, which was scouting and match preparation," the 35-year-old added.

"I felt I could give him much more, so my initial idea was to keep on working with him.

"But he didn't feel the need for somebody near to him or in another position as an assistant, and because of that it was decided that it was time, after Inter Milan, to continue our careers [apart]."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

26 September 2013
Last updated at 10:05 GMT

Patrick Vieira says coaching is the problem for England youngsters

_70127083_patrick_vieira_getty2.jpg

Patrick Vieira says England's failures at major tournaments are down to coaching standards rather than foreign talent playing in the Premier League.

Football Association chairman Greg Dyke recently stated that the national side need more English players starting regularly in the top flight.

_70127476_greg_dyke_getty.jpg

“In the 1992-93 season, the figure for English players in the starting line-ups of Premier League clubs was 69%. Ten years later, that figure was down to 38%. Last season, another 10 years on, the same figure was down to 32%.”

Greg Dyke
FA chairman

But former France midfielder Vieira said: "The problem is deeper than just saying there are too many foreigners.

"The methods in England haven't changed as much as the game has changed."

Vieira, now Manchester City's elite development squad coach, added: "I believe the game has changed and if the game has changed that means we need to change our methods."

England have not gone beyond a World Cup quarter-final since they reached the last four in 1990 and have only won it once, in 1966. Their best performances at the European Championship came when they reached the semi-finals in 1968 and 1996.

Their recent shortcomings - England have not been past the first knockout round of a major tournament since 2006 - have come amid a backdrop of foreign influence in the Premier League, with many believing it is having an adverse effect on the national side.

Last season, the number of English players under the age of 21 competing in the Premier League dropped to its lowest level and during the summer transfer window, there were 137 signings by top-flight clubs but only 25 (or 18.2%) of those were English.

But Vieira, who won three Premier League titles and four FA Cups with Arsenal, believes blaming England's failures on the surge of foreign players is not the way to find a solution.

"I heard some comments about there being too many foreigners in the country, that that is why there is no chance for the English players to have a chance to play in the first team," said Vieira, who took charge of City's elite development squad in the summer.

"But, for me, that is the comment everybody wants to hear. The truth is we need to ask how can we help the young players to develop."