• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Real reason why WP Ah Lian refused to take on NCMP role

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
These figures are from 2011, but I don't expect a huge change. So it all boils down to money. WP Ah Lian has no desire to serve the citizens at all. If the money wasn't there anymore, she will just show everyone the middle finger and decline the NCMP slot.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120104-319812/7.html

Non-Constituency MPs (NCMPs) and Nominated MPs (NMPs) NCMPs and NMPs have smaller roles than MPs. They do not have a community role as they do not have constituents. They also have a reduced legislative role in that they cannot vote on government budgets and changes to the Constitution.

Hence we recommend that the annual allowance of an NCMP / NMP be pegged to 15% of the MP's annual allowance, as is the current practice ie the annual allowance of an NCMP / NMP will see a drop of about 4% from the 2010 allowance. An NCMP/NMP's annual allowance will be $28,900.

We recommend that NCMPs and NMPs continue to remain on the MSO scheme. Regular review We recommend that the PM appoint a committee every five years to review the salary framework. Implementation As announced by the PM earlier, the new salaries arising from this review will take effect from 21 May 2011, the date when the new Government took office.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
12002194_1173740799309168_5673217467539843531_n.jpg

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Li Lian 李丽连

13 hrs · Edited ·

I was in Parliament this afternoon to clear my cupboard. This particular book was especially memorable. I delivered my maiden speech on this and although there were butterflies in my stomach, I was glad that I was able to speak up on this topic.

I went to the library to thank the staff who were always so patient with each and everyone of us smile emoticon I had to once again explain my decision not to take up the NCMP role. I hope residents of PE can understand my decision. I would like to thank ELD for the NCMP appointment, however I will not be accepting it.

Thank you to everyone who has encouraged me on and have shared your disappointment with this decision. I wish to explain my reasons:

1. Respecting the electoral process and the voters' choice.
I've done my part in Parliament in the 2.5 years. Residents have seen the issues that I have raised in this period,and we have shared my parliamentary work as part of our door-to-door outreach during GE2015 to every household except Rivervale Crest (Condominium) which we have no access to.

Majority of the voters in Punggol East decided to not give me the mandate after 2.5 years, and we must respect this. The NCMP role is better suited for an aspiring MP who has no such experience and should take this up to show how he/ she can contribute in Parliament.

2. Being Fair
In 2013, after I was elected. I resigned from my job to become a full time MP. The reason for doing so was to be fair to both my residents and employer with my commitment of time. If I were to take on the NCMP role, the commitment in Parliament is quite similar to a full fledged MP.

However, unlike for an MP, it is not possible to be a full time NCMP. It will not be fair to my future employer to take leave from work every month. During budget debates, for example, you need to be away from work for at least 2 weeks.

3. WP has many good candidates.
Hopefully with my decision, Parliament can allow one more from East Coast GRC to be appointed as NCMP. This gives a chance to our other aspiring MPs to show the people what they can do in terms of speaking up for them.

In addition, I would like to spend some time now with my family, who has supported me throughout this journey but have also missed my presence in their lives. I had my first child while being an MP, and while I do not have any regrets, I did miss out on key moments in her life as I walked the ground in Punggol East.

Although I did not take up the seat, I will continue to contribute to society and to Singapore. I will continue to keep in touch with PE residents. I have made many friends there, including those that wept for me. I will also continue to support and make my contributions to the Workers' Party.

I left Parliament with a heavy heart and the hazy weather reflects my feelings. It has been a fantastic 2.5 years.

The election is over and results are final. Let us move on as a country and may all new MPs enjoy the process as much as I did.

Administrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to agree. There is no logical reason to reject the NCMP unless it is because of money.

The only diff between MP and NCMP is the right to vote and allowance. Opposition had been helpless voting against anything so this does not make any difference. I guess it is the money.

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to agree. There is no logical reason to reject the NCMP unless it is because of money.

The only diff between MP and NCMP is the right to vote and allowance. Opposition had been helpless voting against anything so this does not make any difference. I guess it is the money.

I prefer not to be so cynical ( this btw seems to be in the DNA of one political party...viz their take on volunteers, altruism, baby incentives etc). I think she is gallantly waiving the appointment to allow another opposition party member ( not necessarily her own ) to get some public exposure all for the betterment of more robust debate in Parliament and greater transparency in policy making. I salute her!

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
3. WP has many good candidates.
Hopefully with my decision, Parliament can allow one more from East Coast GRC to be appointed as NCMP. This gives a chance to our other aspiring MPs to show the people what they can do in terms of speaking up for them.

Looks like she wants to give this opportunity to other newer WP candidates who are better debaters in parliament.

LLL seems to be more of a people person who likes to walk the ground and communicate with residents. Though she lost, she's still serving as a WP member and said she will still be visiting and keeping in touch with Punggol East residents, so it's not true that she has no desire to serve the residents.

hbk75

Alfrescian
Loyal
Punggol east will be gone by next election. No point to stay on as ncmp if you was an elected MP and the residents chose to kick you out for an orr luk man.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Punggol east will be gone by next election. No point to stay on as ncmp if you was an elected MP and the residents chose to kick you out for an orr luk man.

That is the problem with Opposition, give up when there's no benefits. Actually the same can be said about PAP's Dr Asshole (who also left Punggol).

hbk75

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is the problem with Opposition, give up when there's no benefits. Actually the same can be said about PAP's Dr Asshole (who also left Punggol).

is not the problem of fighting or not. whether is it worth to fight for people who do not appreciate you. if you are being elected as an mp and has been doing quite well and the residents promised to support you. how would you feel when they betrayed you are elect a nomad chong instead of u?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah lian needs to eat n she got family to feed. Its unfairly to her to be ncmp for such pittance. And its still a full time job. And singkies r retards n ingrates..pointless for her to make extra sacrifices. Fuck pap n the retards tat voted fr them.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah lian needs to eat n she got family to feed. Its unfairly to her to be ncmp for such pittance. And its still a full time job. And singkies r retards n ingrates..pointless for her to make extra sacrifices. Fuck pap n the retards tat voted fr them.

Precisely. She has her own financials needs to take care of. Not everyone can give up their lives for a thankless task (think Dr Chee..)

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal
pic8.jpg

Scrooball (clone) is the no. 1 pap porlumpar cocksucker cum-eater in SBF kneeling at gecko funeral :biggrin:

Real reasons people join PAP is because of $. Self serving baboons.

lucky I'm not related to this kneeling old man............if I were his grandson.............i'll have him suicided........a total disgrace to his family and ancestors..........bet he didn't kneel when his own parents died..........

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nmp is a toothless tiger.

They have no voting power in Parliament.

Nobody can be bothered with NMP.