• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I cried - The Koh Poh Koon Story

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The newcomer described himself as a "son of Punggol", having spent his early childhood in a farmhouse at Lorong Cheng Lim in Punggol before his family was relocated to a 4-room HDB flat in Toa Payoh.

I cried and cried when I read this sad story. The first time I cried was when I read how Ong Ke Yung was born in zinc roofed hut. Singapore General Elections has such an impact on me that I am now in a fragile state of mind. Years ago I recall when Mah Bow Tan was standing in his first elections against the old level holder Chiam See Tong, I burst out crying when it was revealed that his single mum was a washerwomen. In 2011, I nearly collapsed and again cried when I found during GE2011 that Kee Chiu mother was also a washerwomen.

Now I found out that Dr Koh was born in a farmhouse, father a bus driver who worked 2 shifts. he and his wife only had $11.50 when they shifted into their HDB flat.

In comparison to PAP candidates, I admit that I was born with a silver spoon and I am truly ashamed. My father was an astronaut who went on to revolutonise space travel, and my mother was a member of Kg Glam Royalty. I recall they called her Datin when she went to the wet market. In fact, I am sure most Singaporeans had silver spoons in their house. In fact, most male Singaporeans got their HDB flat before enlisting for NS.

"Dr Koh said he grew up poor -- his father was a bus driver, working two shifts a day to support a family of five children. He now lives in a 5-room HDB flat in Telok Blangah.

Dr Koh said: "I can really identify with some of the issues that are raised by residents and Singaporeans - from getting our first homes, putting our kids through school, taking care of the elderly folks.

"I remember when I finally got my HDB flat in 1988, just after I ORD from the army, my wife and I had to borrow money from my uncle to do renovations. You'd be surprised to know that at the end of the thing, before we moved into our house, in the combined accounts of our banks, in the pockets together, we had $11.50.

"We were scratching our heads thinking how to even have our first meal in the house when we had no money to buy chopsticks? We went down to Toyogo at Lorong 8 Toa Payoh and we had to count the number of pieces of chopsticks we can buy with $11.50 to equip our home."

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
*LOL* A good one!

I also got a great story to justify me as a potential candidate.

At the time of my birth, my father suffered multiple business failure and my mother was pregnant with my brother shortly after she started her hair saloon business, threatening our livelihood. My parents were despised by their family and were not getting any support.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Way back in the mid 1970s people staying in 4-room HDB flats are not poor lah. During those days, poor folks were all cramped in 1/2/3-room HDB flats. So if not exactly poor why then must tell people they are very poor ...

Wildfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Brother,

A truly heart rending story ... I cried when I read "I cried"!

Back in the 70's, unlike our poor doctor who has the luxury of staying in a 4-room HDB floor, we were squatting in
a rented room at Lorong Ah Soo. My mum was a washerwoman who single-handedly put four kids through polytechnic
and university.

Oh, I want to cry again ...

Last edited:

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
The newcomer described himself as a "son of Punggol", having spent his early childhood in a farmhouse at Lorong Cheng Lim in Punggol before his family was relocated to a 4-room HDB flat in Toa Payoh.

I cried and cried when I read this sad story. The first time I cried was when I read how Ong Ke Yung was born in zinc roofed hut. Singapore General Elections has such an impact on me that I am now in a fragile state of mind. Years ago I recall when Mah Bow Tan was standing in his first elections against the old level holder Chiam See Tong, I burst out crying when it was revealed that his single mum was a washerwomen. In 2011, I nearly collapsed and again cried when I found during GE2011 that Kee Chiu mother was also a washerwomen.

Now I found out that Dr Koh was born in a farmhouse, father a bus driver who worked 2 shifts. he and his wife only had $11.50 when they shifted into their HDB flat.

In comparison to PAP candidates, I admit that I was born with a silver spoon and I am truly ashamed. My father was an astronaut who went on to revolutonise space travel, and my mother was a member of Kg Glam Royalty. I recall they called her Datin when she went to the wet market. In fact, I am sure most Singaporeans had silver spoons in their house. In fact, most male Singaporeans got their HDB flat before enlisting for NS.

I cried when I saw my CPF statement. Didn't know I was so rich!

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....within the past week, my idol started more than 10 threads...
i think it is bonus time as he is paid according to nos. of threads started....
lidat must support lah....
i cried every time i read his post....so profound.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Way back in the mid 1970s people staying in 4-room HDB flats are not poor lah. During those days, poor folks were all cramped in 1/2/3-room HDB flats. So if not exactly poor why then must tell people they are very poor ...

The art of votes buying is to tell sympathy stories. The extreme one will shed crocodile tears (case of Desmond Choo). Who knows on the polling day, he might wear a bandage to tell residents he strained his arms or legs walking around tiredlessly.:oIo:

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

looking at the numbers published in CNA, something does not add up.

first, state controlled media published his age at 40yo today, so he should be born at around 1972-73. even it at 1972, then how the hell he ORDed in 1988 to buy a flat in toa payoh?:confused: he would be 16yrs old then lor. who screwed up? arsehole koh or scm? more likely it 1998, when he finished his saf medical officer contract. so the $11.50 BS can be overturn liao as he cannot be as "boh lui" as per published in SCM. he would have been at least $3000 plus month salary with SAF then and surely there a grautity at the end of contract.

He might have been born in wooden farmhouse but his family should have been relocated in 1980s while he still in primary school. once thing weird was why his family allocated hdb flat in toa payoh while the bulk of punggol residents were allocated hougang ave 2,5 & 7 in the 1980s. i know of ppl allocated to AMK but those were in the earlier batch who were relocated in the late 1970s. he is lucky that his father have a skill in trade as he worked as a bus driver while the bulk of other illerate teochew farmers and fishermen were left to fend for themselves by the govt without a skill that relevant to modern singapore.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because the 60% Ponggolites will cry over too many oppositions, I cried over my prediction.

My Predication: PAP wins the by-election!

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
looking at the numbers published in CNA, something does not add up.

Looks like you have read the 10 steps to creating a fake sob story.

One step talk about putting yesterday events in today's context.
Another talk about putting ambiguity in unverifiable events in the timeline.

Yes, something don't add up.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We paid for his medical education, scholarship ...what else have taxpayers given him? If he cares so much about sinkees, he should be offering cheaper healthcare services to the public. That he didn't suggest that he is like the other PAP members, blood suckers.

Only the dumb would buy his sorry tales.

jw5

Loyal
I cried twice.

The first time was when I read about how Ong Ye Kung's classmates told him there was no need to study for the test. He didn't and finished second last.

The second time was when Koh Poh Koon was asked whether he would be the candidate for PE, he replied that he "had not received the green light from the top".

Feel very sad now, later will go and eat some mangoes to feel better.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cried in envy when I crossed the dots and realised that he must be getting all those govt rebates for GST etc. and at a higher amount because of his HDB address. Is he also parking his Merc or Bentley at the HDB's MCCP? I am so heartbroken when I imagine him laughing next to Zorro Lim when he reads his CPF statement every month.

I was born and grew up in Chinatown, played and fought with street urchins among the Samsui and cantonese hoi polloi who sold vegetables and salted eggs on the roadside, and food and drinks on carts and rickety makeshift stalls, the smelly rat-infested drains, the sputum and cigarette butts filled pavements, and often got frightened by the Hawker inspectors who came occasionally with the police in shorts and overturned and seized carts, but I never never had the opportunity for the newspapers to call me the "son of Chinatown". That must be another crying shame. Lim Yew Hock, Lee kuan Yew, Lim Chin Siong and Fong Swee Suan were all big names then, and we would hear them everyday on our Redifusion boxes. Hardly anybody called them sons of anything.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck off bleeding heart liberal. He had to serve a bond which he did. He owes society nothing.

We paid for his medical education, scholarship ...what else have taxpayers given him? If he cares so much about sinkees, he should be offering cheaper healthcare services to the public. That he didn't suggest that he is like the other PAP members, blood suckers.

Only the dumb would buy his sorry tales.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The papers meant that Koh's farmer and his wife (i.e. the farmer's wife, Koh's daughter) had only $11.50.

what toking u? koh the bus driver or koh the arse doc?

make up your mind lah.

post the cna url below to read again.

Dr Koh said: "I can really identify with some of the issues that are raised by residents and Singaporeans - from getting our first homes, putting our kids through school, taking care of the elderly folks.

"I remember when I finally got my HDB flat in 1988, just after I ORD from the army, my wife and I had to borrow money from my uncle to do renovations. You'd be surprised to know that at the end of the thing, before we moved into our house, in the combined accounts of our banks, in the pockets together, we had $11.50.

"We were scratching our heads thinking how to even have our first meal in the house when we had no money to buy chopsticks? We went down to Toyogo at Lorong 8 Toa Payoh and we had to count the number of pieces of chopsticks we can buy with $11.50 to equip our home.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1247058/1/.html

Last edited: