• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Your favourite Chinese Emperor

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
its funny how Qing dynasty ended up so weak towards the end. At its peak, in Kangxi era navy power rivals those of the European power (got this from documentary). Even the ang mos have to give him a lot of faces. But when it comes to puyi, the ang mo just gave him their middle fingers.

Chinese naval power ended after Ming Emperor Yongle and Admiral Zheng He. When Qing took over Ming in China, it was never redeveloped as Manchurians were also landlocked people not interested in the seas. During Guangxu times Li Hongzhang tried to build a Chinese navy but the Japanese navy after beating the Russian navy quickly took the opportunity to declare war and destroyed the the Chinese navy before it could be full fledged. From an objective and strategic point of view, the Japanese were right in their own interest. However, I'm Chinese and of course lament for China. Until today, China as PRC or ROC both don't have proper blue water navy fleets.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese naval power ended after Ming Emperor Yongle and Admiral Zheng He. When Qing took over Ming in China, it was never redeveloped as Manchurians were also landlocked people not interested in the seas. During Guangxu times Li Hongzhang tried to build a Chinese navy but the Japanese navy after beating the Russian navy quickly took the opportunity to declare war and destroyed the the Chinese navy before it could be full fledged. From an objective and strategic point of view, the Japanese were right in their own interest. However, I'm Chinese and of course lament for China. Until today, China as PRC or ROC both don't have proper blue water navy fleets.

in kangxi era, the chinese taken taiwan from the hands of the dutch. This is the display of their military might and navy against the European (ming's). then the qing taken over taiwan from the ming.<---at this point of time from what i saw on the documentary, qing navy was quite strong.

But that i believe is the last war chinese ever won against the European power

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kid278 said:
Female emperor you might want to add the dowager Qixi, the last dynasty of chinese history.

Literally speaking Qixi was only Empress Dowager, despite her domination. Other than Wu Ze Tian, I believe there was another female Emperor but couldn't remember who.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in kangxi era, the chinese taken taiwan from the hands of the dutch. This is the display of their military might and navy against the European (ming's). then the qing taken over taiwan from the ming.<---at this point of time from what i saw on the documentary, qing navy was quite strong.

But that i believe is the last war chinese ever won against the European power

That was Zheng Chenggong from Ming, not Qing, who defeated Holland to regain Taiwan as Chinese terrority. Kangxi just regained it from Ming as after conquest of mainland, Ming loyalists ran to Taiwan. Something like the situation we're seeing between the straits today. Kangxi succeeded. Wonder if there's a new Kangxi.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fook Seng said:
Literally speaking Qixi was only Empress Dowager, despite her domination. Other than Wu Ze Tian, I believe there was another female Emperor but couldn't remember who.

I could have mistaken that there was another female emperor but in the Han dynasty, Liu Pang's empress Lu Zhi had effectively the power of an Emperor when she ruled behind 3 puppet child emperors as Empress Dowager in a domination even greater than Qixi.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There was only one official Empress in Chinese history, Wu Zetian. The rest might have wielded real power like Lu Zhi and Cixi but they never claimed the throne.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal

I only know of these two, both of the same fate. Widowed at very young age and very brutal during their reign.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was only one official Empress in Chinese history, Wu Zetian. The rest might have wielded real power like Lu Zhi and Cixi but they never claimed the throne.

Yeah, all became de facto rulers. Only Wu zetian founded or changed the Tang to Zhou dynasty.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
its funny how Qing dynasty ended up so weak towards the end. At its peak, in Kangxi era navy power rivals those of the European power (got this from documentary). Even the ang mos have to give him a lot of faces. But when it comes to puyi, the ang mo just gave him their middle fingers.

The FTs are giving us the middle finger as well :(

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please note that the Europeans went to Industrial Revolution in around 1700s.

The Europeans basically leap frogged the rest of the world during a short 100 years, in which they colonised the rest of the world through much better steel and guns.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pinkieslut said:
Please note that the Europeans went to Industrial Revolution in around 1700s.

The Europeans basically leap frogged the rest of the world during a short 100 years, in which they colonised the rest of the world through much better steel and guns.

You are right. The second factor is that was a lot of competition for domination, one followed another for military and economic domination. The Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, French and Brits all had their chance.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
wrong, the emperor title was given to him by his son after his death. Cao Mengde never cliam the throne himself.

Ram said posthumous conferment. Just technically you want to count posthumous or not LOL. Think it's for ceremonious and political agenda only. Some emperors in new dynasties founded with dubious means passed the first founding emperor title back to their dead father. So they could claim filial piety and legal succession.

Last edited:

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cao Cao case is debatable since he actually won the land of the dynasty for Cao Pi. Mention Cao Cao and Li Shimin remind me of Guan Yu, also technically emperor LOL. He died with lord rank 寿亭侯 which was conferred by Cao Cao when he helped Cao Cao beat Yuan Shao, promoted posthumously by Liu Bei to duke rank 关公。 Then through centuries of fairytales he became popular worship figure. By time of Tang dynasty, promoted to emperor 关帝。

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Manchus_dressed_as_royal_family.jpg

That was Zheng Chenggong from Ming, not Qing, who defeated Holland to regain Taiwan as Chinese terrority. Kangxi just regained it from Ming as after conquest of mainland, Ming loyalists ran to Taiwan. Something like the situation we're seeing between the straits today. Kangxi succeeded. Wonder if there's a new Kangxi.

I just hate the Manchus ! No bloody Manchu masters as 'greatest' emperor ! If it's not for a lackey who opened up the gate to let them inundate the central plain, can they be our master till 1911 ? I bet they will still be begging for food outside the Great Wall !

Rape and kill the Manchurians !

DSCN6445.JPG

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right. The second factor is that was a lot of competition for domination, one followed another for military and economic domination. The Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, French and Brits all had their chance.

Last but not least, they had the "age of enlightenment". :smile:

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last but not least, they had the "age of enlightenment". :smile:

That started in the 1500s when the British adopted the parliamentary system which basically checks the power of the King. The meant that it is tough for some "mad" absolute ruler to run amok the country.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ram said posthumous conferment. Just technically you want to count posthumous or not LOL. Think it's for ceremonious and political agenda only. Some emperors in new dynasties founded with dubious means passed the first founding emperor title back to their dead father. So they could claim filial piety and legal succession.

what cao pi did was to hit the final nail into cao cao bad reputation. pls ignore the novel storyline, the real history cao cao died as a court official of the han dynasty. As for the real reason why cao cao didnt force han xiandi to abidicate will never know as only cao cao himself knew.

as for guan yunchang, his reputation was over hype. the battles he won by himself can be count with one hand. let see, the two battles he fought for cao cao against yan liang and wen chou and also capture of changsha with 300men, that it no more i can remember. even zhang fei won more battles alone than guan yu.

he also a petty man, he very unhappy when he receive edict from liu bei that he was confer as one of the "five tiger generals" together with zhang fei, zhao yun, ma chao and huang zhong. He can accept being same level as zhang fei and zhao yun because they together for many years and ma chao are of noble birth but he tulan huang zhong being a captured enemy being same rank as him. it only a humbe letter from zhuge that evalvated guan to head of five tiger generals that he willing to accept the conferment.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wu Sangui was smart to defect to the Qing. Li Zicheng really cannot make it. :biggrin: not everybody want to be or think like Wen Tianxiang or Shi Kefa.

if li zicheng CMI, then can explain how he rose to be the most powerful rebel leader that overthrew the ming dynasty?