• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WTF is "young-old", "medium-old" and "oldest-old"?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: 71-year-old should not be described as being of 'advanced age'​

Sep 28, 2021

While I do not wish to trivialise the Ministry of Health's reporting of Covid-19 deaths, I cannot allow its description on Saturday of a 71-year-old as being of "advanced age" to pass without comment.
I am almost 73, and do not consider myself to be of advanced age as assessed by either my own perception or by the Government's own age classification or mortality statistics.
The Singapore Department of Statistics (SingStat) defines persons aged 65 to 74 as "young-old", persons aged 75 to 84 as "medium-old" and those aged 85 and over as "oldest-old".
By those definitions, I think it is reasonable to consider those aged 85 and over as being of "advanced age".
Also, according to SingStat, the average life expectancy of a 65-year-old last year was 21.5 years. To refer to a "young-old" senior with a statistical life expectancy of approximately one-and-a-half decades as being of advanced age appears to display a more than unfortunate attitude of ageism.

Brian Dalby

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
LOL!

When I read the thread title I thought it was referring to.....

CHEESE!

kraft-old-fort-cheddar-shredded-cheese.jpg

young.jpg

aged.jpg

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Also, according to SingStat, the average life expectancy of a 65-year-old last year was 21.5 years. To refer to a "young-old" senior with a statistical life expectancy of approximately one-and-a-half decades as being of advanced age appears to display a more than unfortunate attitude of ageism.

Another idiot writing to the Shitty Times forum, this time an ang moh libtard who got his fee-fees hurt. :rolleyes:

Racism, sexism, ageism, xenophobia, homophobia, equality, climate change, carbon emissions etc. You know their lingo.