• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP mocks other party: GMS may be right after all

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The next General Election may be still some time away, but the Workers Party (WP) has already begun to ‘book’ the constituencies it intends to contest, including those previously contested by other parties.

In an interview with Lianhe Zaobao, WP Chairman and Aljunied GRC MP Sylvia Lim revealed WP’s plans to contest in Tampines GRC in the next election.

Besides Tampines GRC, WP will also contest in the GRCs it contested previously.

“These GRCs are located in eastern and north-eastern parts of Singapore and will enable the party to better utilize its limited resources.”

(林瑞莲解释,这些选区集中在我国的东部及东北部,锁定它们能让该党更善用有限的资源。)

Tampines GRC was contested by the National Solidarity Party (NSP) in 2011 where it garnered 42 percent of the votes.

When contacted by the media NSP Chairman Sebastian Teo reiterated that NSP will not give up any constituencies which it had contested.

He also revealed that NSP has yet to decide if it would contest in the coming Hougang by-election.

With its capture of Aljunied GRC, the Workers Party is now undoubtedly the strongest ‘opposition’ party in Singapore though it hardly ‘opposes’ the ruling party. However, the increasing arrogance displayed by some of its leaders and its reluctance to work with other parties have peeved off some opposition supporters.

When asked by the media about the Workers Party’s views on the Budget which have been expressed earlier by other parties, Sylvia Lim retorted callously:

“But we are in Parliament, they are not. We will make use of the platform we have.”

http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/sylvia-lim-wp-will-contest-in-tampines-grc-in-the-next-general-election/

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
What Temasek Times missed out is that this Zaobao report actually quoted my earlier blog post on Hougang By-Election.

This is a bit surprising to me because Zaobao's reporter Yew Lun Tian has earlier on wrote a commentary on why she didn't report on my blog post and made unwarranted personal attacks on me. Zaobao forum refused to put up my rebuttals at all.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see what will happen next. I shall be writing my next analysis on Hougang By-election and the impact of YSL saga.

Goh Meng Seng

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP Survives As A Scavenger

What Temasek Times missed out is that this Zaobao report actually quoted my earlier blog post on Hougang By-Election.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see what will happen next. I shall be writing my next analysis on Hougang By-election and the impact of YSL saga.

You are still alive and reading this ? I've always suspected of WP's true intention. I'm not sure whether there was a devil's pact with Lee. The MP's salaries issue had already raised lots eyebrows. WP is not independent.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Re: WP Survives As A Scavenger

Of course I am still alive! :smile:

Well, what you say here, I cannot say because I am in the open... :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

You are still alive and reading this ? I've always suspected of WP's true intention. I'm not sure whether there was a devil's pact with Lee. The MP's salaries issue had already raised lots eyebrows. WP is not independent.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Everyone will be eagerly waiting for your 10,000-word post.

:biggrin:

He already have a huge "fan" base. Temasek Times is one of his biggest fans actually. The local media seem to have started ignoring his latest articles but TT still get quotes from GMS's blog

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What Sylvia said is correct and true to the spirit of parlimentary democracy in WP manifesto. To put it bluntly, if you can't garner enough support to get into parliament, shut the fuck up and prepare for the next round if you're still interested. Otherwise, go onto Hong Lim Park or other streets to incite riots and test what'd happen. If you don't believe in voting for parliamentary democracy, then don't vote for WP. Sounds arrogant just because WP has won a GRC? I don't think so. The creed was there since David Marshall. GMS is still using his quote as signature. It's just yes or no, what do you prefer? The majority wins. That's the very basis democracy.

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
This is a "free market" of ideas, so to speak. :wink:

Of course, people have their freedom to choose or ignore. Personally, there isn't any gain or loss from it. If there is any gain or loss, that's from the news providers' perspective.

Goh Meng Seng

He already have a huge "fan" base. Temasek Times is one of his biggest fans actually. The local media seem to have started ignoring his latest articles but TT still get quotes from GMS's blog

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your brand of democracy I also worry:o

What Sylvia said is correct and true to the spirit of parlimentary democracy in WP manifesto. To put it bluntly, if you can't garner enough support to get into parliament, shut the fuck up and prepare for the next round if you're still interested. Otherwise, go onto Hong Lim Park or other streets to incite riots and test what'd happen. If you don't believe in voting for parliamentary democracy, then don't vote for WP. Sounds arrogant just because WP has won a GRC? I don't think so. The creed was there since David Marshall. GMS is still using his quote as signature. It's just yes or no, what do you prefer? The majority wins. That's the very basis democracy.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It will be a very good idea for WP to contest Tampines, Marine Parade, as they will have a high chance to win. Looking at the Performance of NSP,,they will not win over the populace as well as WP. GMS has given Tampines to MBT and PAP. Singaporeans cant afford another lost in 2016. If WP can win, all the other Oppos should just bugger offf.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SDP doesn't believe in this brand of democracy.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
We can't say that WP is mocking other parties. Any party would do the same given their situation. They need to grow and expand their party and is bound to step into constituencies that have been contested by other opposition parties in the process. It simply fair game for all. Let the better party win.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I am an economic-trained person who dislike Monopolies very much because I understand the destruction they could bring to Nation and the people.

I am in opposition politics because I dislike PAP monopolizing power. But at the same time, I am turned off by WP which has put up obvious attempts to monopolize the opposition platform. This is unhealthy. Imagine if we really end up with only two parties and WP keep having MPs like YSL or copycats, we would be in trouble.

In my view, before we could cut down PAP's share of parliamentary seats to deprive it from having more than two third majority, any attempts by any parties (especially WP at this moment) to use "tissue paper tactic" to engage in cannibalistic actions against other parties to prevent them from getting into parliament, I am against it.

NSP has good results in Tampines and Marine Parade, results which are even better than WP's Yishun and MK GRCs, not to mention the two SMCs Pungol East and Sengkang West. Given time and good ground effort, it is entirely possible for NSP to capture these two GRCs during the next GE. Unless, of course WP deliberately sends spoiler teams into it.

Such acts are selfish moves and detrimental to the whole opposition movement. I do not side NSP as you can see, I can be quite critical of them as well. But in this case, I side with logic and good reasons, WP should avoid sending teams for 3 corner fights in these GRCs else it will be blamed for dragging the feet of democratic progress and development which many of us so desired.

Goh Meng Seng

We can't say that WP is mocking other parties. Any party would do the same given their situation. They need to grow and expand their party and is bound to step into constituencies that have been contested by other opposition parties in the process. It simply fair game for all. Let the better party win.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

NSP created the problem for themselves when they announced they would not rule out contesting Hougang. They did so because 1) WP entered MK, which they made the hardly-credible argument that it was Jalan Besar, and 2) self-assumed that WP will enter Tampines despite that WP did not say so.

I remember in here, I warned that this would have implications on themselves. Indeed, WP now makes the Tampines announcement.

Whether WP was really planning to enter Tampines in 2016 anyway despite whatever is immaterial - by putting the cart before the horse, NSP lost one chance to make WP look bad. Perhaps they could pray WP also announce they are going Marine Parade so they can create the hoo ha they wanted to create.

Last edited:

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am in opposition politics because I dislike PAP monopolizing power. But at the same time, I am turned off by WP which has put up obvious attempts to monopolize the opposition platform. This is unhealthy. Imagine if we really end up with only two parties and WP keep having MPs like YSL or copycats, we would be in trouble.

I do not side NSP as you can see, I can be quite critical of them as well. But in this case, I side with logic and good reasons, WP should avoid sending teams for 3 corner fights in these GRCs else it will be blamed for dragging the feet of democratic progress and development which many of us so desired.

Goh Meng Seng

As a general rule of thumb, you don't bad-mouth the organisations you left. At least not in such a high-profile manner like yours. You think logic and reasons legitimise your attacks on NSP and WP? Even if you're right, you lose politically.

It's dignity is you're seriously short of.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
What matters most is the people of Singapore win. :wink:

We must not vote blindly and understand the underlying political implications. What high profile thing are you talking about? I am just writing on my blog, that's all.

I praise when there are reasons to do, criticize when there are faults to be raised. If I am going to be caged by my own political consideration or too concern about how people view me and restrain myself to speak my mind or the truth, then I would be a selfish person who would put self over public interests.

I have no apologies for speaking the inconvenient truth, just like what I did to PAP as well.

Goh Meng Seng

As a general rule of thumb, you don't bad-mouth the organisations you left. At least not in such a high-profile manner like yours. You think logic and reasons legitimise your attacks on NSP and WP? Even if you're right, you lose politically.

It's dignity is you're seriously short of.

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
What matters most is the people of Singapore win. :wink:

We must not vote blindly and understand the underlying political implications. What high profile thing are you talking about? I am just writing on my blog, that's all.

I praise when there are reasons to do, criticize when there are faults to be raised. If I am going to be caged by my own political consideration or too concern about how people view me and restrain myself to speak my mind or the truth, then I would be a selfish person who would put self over public interests.

I have no apologies for speaking the inconvenient truth, just like what I did to PAP as well.

Goh Meng Seng

If you even need to ask me what is so high profile, you really don't get it. That's why you'll never make it politically, because you're politically naive, in addition to a serious lack of clarity on your political purpose.

I don't doubt your sincerity when you said as long as Singapore wins (whatever wins means to you). But you think you're contributing to that win for Singapore? No, Mr. Goh. In partisan politics, you failed, because you did not win any seats. In non-partisan politics, you failed because you can't be taken seriously. Don't believe, just re-read your articles.

In conclusion, I'm saying you failed politically. Big time.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am an economic-trained person who dislike Monopolies very much because I understand the destruction they could bring to Nation and the people.

In my view, before we could cut down PAP's share of parliamentary seats to deprive it from having more than two third majority, any attempts by any parties (especially WP at this moment) to use "tissue paper tactic" to engage in cannibalistic actions against other parties to prevent them from getting into parliament, I am against it.

NSP has good results in Tampines and Marine Parade, results which are even better than WP's Yishun and MK GRCs, not to mention the two SMCs Pungol East and Sengkang West. Given time and good ground effort, it is entirely possible for NSP to capture these two GRCs during the next GE. Unless, of course WP deliberately sends spoiler teams into it.

Such acts are selfish moves and detrimental to the whole opposition movement. I do not side NSP as you can see, I can be quite critical of them as well. But in this case, I side with logic and good reasons, WP should avoid sending teams for 3 corner fights in these GRCs else it will be blamed for dragging the feet of democratic progress and development which many of us so desired.

Goh Meng Seng

NSP had the best chance historically against one of the most unpopular PAP Minsters MBT, and lost.

That chance is unlikely to be available the next GE if PAP had learned their lessons. Even if WP don't go there, NSP probably stand a no better chance in 2016 compare to 2011.

Then again, it's a very long time to 2016, enough time for NSP (or whoever) to get their ship right again, and for PAP to screw up some more.