• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

World Class education!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maureen Koh, Jennifer Dhanaraj, Benson Ang, Benita Aw Yeong | The New Paper | Tue Jan 15 2013

SINGAPORE - Diurnal.Anemometer.Navvy. Osseous. Philately.

These are some of the words in Creative Vocabulary 6, a book which is on a 2013 list of reading materials given to pupils from a primary school in the west.

It is a well-known, but not elite, school.

A parent, whose daughter is in the school, compiled a list of 24 words and posted it on her Facebook page.

Her tongue-in-cheek caption: "I do believe the school is prepping my 10-year-old for her SATs already".

The SATs is a standardised test for college admissions in the US.

The post has got some parents and netizens riled up, as questions arise about the standards - and stress levels - of education here.

Mr Ronnie Goh, 44, an engineer, tells The New Paper on Sunday: "My son, who is now in Secondary Three (Dunman High School), cannot even recognise half the words on the list."

As a test, we asked Madam Selina Foo, 40, a senior business manager, to ask her kids - a daughter in Primary 5 and a son in Primary 6 - in the Gifted Education Programme if they knew the words. They got 10 and11 correct, respectively.

The list worries Madam Foo.

She says: "Does this mean my kids have been short-changed?"

She is worried that her kids need to do more now to keep up with their peers.

At the heart of this is a perennial worry about the standards and stresses of education here, with many saying that the pressure on children is simply too much.

Late last year, the Education Ministry took the unprecedented step of not naming the top students of the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE).

Education Minister Heng Swee Keat said the move was aimed at recognising other aspects of excellence and celebrating the efforts of students who persevere and reach their full potential.

It is also important that children are allowed to develop at their own pace, and holistically,he pointed out.

But parents are still spending money on tuition - some as much as $11,000on a single subject, says Mrs Celina Ho, 36, a housewife.

She has a Primary 2 child who takes tuition at a top tuition centre.

She says she knows of parents who spend upwards of five-figures on tuition alone.

"There is so much competition and fear. Lists like this make us more paranoid that there are others who will top our kids," she says.

Housewife Bernice Koh, 38, says such lists makes her question how much her child has to go through.

She says she cannot do the mathematics and science questions that her Primary 6 daughter has to do.

"Sometimes, she asks me for help with her maths homework and I'm just stumped. I take about 45 minutes to complete one sum. I wonder how they are able to do it in 10 minutes."

She adds: "This is why I'm forced to let her go for tuition. There is only so much that I can help her with."

Mrs Ng Lee-Anne, 39, a human resource director, is more concerned about the stress that such lists may place on pupils like her twin boys, who are in Primary 5.

Like most of the parents, professionals and expats polled, she felt that the words were "ridiculous" for those in primary school.

The primary school in question did not reply to The New Paper on Sunday's queries on the book.

But teachers we approached said schools use vocabulary lists for varying purposes, like composition, spelling or editing skills, says a primary school teacher, who wanted to known only as Mr Yeo.

Some stick to the words covered under the Strategies for English Language Learning and Reading programme in primary schools, which is developed by the Ministry of Education.

Mr Yeo adds: "Other schools might find these words too simple and plan their lists based on words they hope pupils will be able to use."

Some teachers say that while the vocabulary list is difficult for young students, it actually helps them prepare for the PSLE examinations and even secondary school.

A primary school teacher, who wanted to be known only as Miss Lim, says: "Yes, the list is challenging, but it may help them in the long run.

"It doesn't hurt to have more words in your vocabulary bank. Sometimes, comprehension exercises in secondary schools have difficult words and having exposure to such words may come in handy.

"The schools just wants their students to have an edge in the examination." Gifted pupils may also benefit from being stretched, say other teachers.

"Perhaps the class being exposed to these words is a high-ability one, and the teacher hopes to stretch the potential of the pupils," says Mr Patrick, a tutor from Genius EduCentre, a tuition centre in Hougang.

"But asking students of average ability to learn such words is likely to backfire."

Madam Foo's daughter, Alicia Lee, who turns 11 this year, admits she was stumped by the words when her mother showed her the list.

The girl, who has been getting distinction in English since Primary 1, says: "I felt so stupid and thought, die! How can I not know these words if others in the same level (Primary 5) do?

"But honestly speaking, if our teacher made us learn these words, I'd still do it. But it will likely be rote-learning and I don't think it'll help improve my vocabulary bank."

The Quiz

Celine Chen quizzes 30 expatriates and professionals at Raffles Place on the 24 words given to Primary 5 pupils

Score: 24/24

Mr Ian Gordon, 60, retired civil servant

Unlike the others, the Englishman didn't break a sweat.

But when he found out that primary school kids were being taught these words, he knitted his eyebrows in disbelief.

"They are supposed to know that?" he says, before explaining "anemometer".

Score: 12/24

Mr Kunal Asnasthy, 40, businessman

His shock was apparent from the start, with a pithy... epithet.. escaping his lips.

He knew just 12 words.

"It's amazing that they are learning this in school," says Mr Asnasthy, who is a father of two girls who are in Grades 4 and 8 at the Global Indian International School.

"If students are being asked to memorise such words, I'd be worried," he says.

Score: 2/24

Mr Pasquale Molluso, 36, trader

He started out as one of the most enthusiastic participants.

And the exchange went like this: "Anemometer. I haven't got a clue."

"Diurnal. Sounds like a fragrance?"

"Navvy. As in, 'whatever'? 'Maybe'?"

As we went down the list, the Australian broke out into an abashed grin when he couldn't figure out what many of the words meant.

After five words, he says: "Are these real words or are you just making them up?"

Mr Gordon says of the list of words: "Goodness me, they are demanding words. I can see why Singapore schools do very well."

Score: 21/24

Mr Choo Fu Wah, 51, crewing manager

He seemed confident at first. But as his eyes

scanned the list, the lines on his forehead got deeper and deeper.

Although he was unfamiliar with only three of the 24 words, he says: "It's too hard for a 10-year-old to learn all these words.

"Singaporean kids nowadays are already so stressed out with studies and homework, and you expect them to learn these words?

"This would be more suitable for a student in Secondary 2."

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Teachers in this school must be speaking Queen's English all the time ...no okay lah, why like that one ....

What's the point of this when the children speaks Singlish at home?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Compare to this girl in Australia which did something that could change the world. Notice there is no need for the use of "cheem" unnecessary, words to communicate her idea. She was even send by google to present her idea in an international conference. Schools in Singapore has to begin to realised that sometimes "Less is MORE"!

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/australian-schoolgirl-a-science-sensation-20130116-2cs9y.html

[video=youtube;sEKqtPXxxgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEKqtPXxxgI[/video]

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no need to know those words if the only reason to learn them is to get rich. Most of the the words can't be found in the best-selling novels. You need the words to describe your feelings, thoughts and experiences to others, not words that most people don't know about. Learning should be based on interest, not because you want to prove that you know more than others. Uniquely SG.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Compare to this girl in Australia which did something that could change the world. Notice there is no need for the use of "cheem" unnecessary, words to communicate her idea. She was even send by google to present her idea in an international conference. Schools in Singapore has to begin to realised that sometimes "Less is MORE"!

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/australian-schoolgirl-a-science-sensation-20130116-2cs9y.html

How come she speaks like an American without the Aussie accent?

biondi

Alfrescian
Loyal
And even after learning all the cheem words, sinkies' standard of English are still horrible.

lesMISERABLES

Alfrescian
Loyal
But parents are still spending money on tuition - some as much as $11,000on a single subject, says Mrs Celina Ho, 36, a housewife.

She has a Primary 2 child who takes tuition at a top tuition centre.

She says she knows of parents who spend upwards of five-figures on tuition alone.

In 10 years' time 70% of top scorers will come from very well-to-do families, including cronies connected to famiLEE.

tempora meliora veniant

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In singapore that's how it is. One's proficiency in the language is based on the usage of 'cheem' and exotic words and while basic grammar is ignored. you can bet the compositions wriiten by these students are choke full of bombastic words that the majority of english speakers rarely use but the story telling is lacking.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. me veri poor leh.
3. kosong cash to purchase what today?
4. can any bro upload the 24 words in question on to this thread?
5. probably, sammy may score 25/24 hoh:biggrin:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The teacher may be a scrabble enthusiast. :confused: :*:

I find words such as "navvy", "pithy", "diurnal" and "epithet" very useful for scrabble. :rolleyes: :wink:

Especially when kana 2 V together ... :biggrin: :p