• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Workers Party, Puppets/Cowards or the People's party?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree that initially he might not have been easy. But when Chee went on to retain his seat in his own right, the die was cast. The fact that SDP lost it 3 seats further compounded the matter. Chee has his own pull and charisma and he could have pulled it off but lack of acumen is now firmly entrenched.

He should have re-branded to avoid carrying unnecessary baggage. Branding in politics is important.

To be fair, it was probably not as easy a decision as you made it out to be. If my memory serves me well, Chee didn't (and still hasn't) got a seat in parliament. Chiam and a few old timers were the ones who are holding on to single seat constituencies then. For a sane person with political aspiration, forming a separate party without Chiam or a seat in parliament might not have been a good idea.

Hope the Chee/SDP haters here can put things in perspective.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are only at the first stage of opposition politics. Just getting seats is a major accomplishment in a system that does not favour any form of opposition politics. Anyone with 20 years of adulthood behind you will tell you that the PAP and this govt is waiting for an opportunity to bury any opposition candidates with lawsuits and roadblocks.

The Workers Party effectiveness is taking over seats from the PAP. Some years ago breaching the GRC fortress was unthinkable. It has given hope to other parties. More importantly at least one new party is expected with a credible candidates.

Its a question of tactics built on a good strategy.

My sense is that there is a mixture of envy and frustration out there among opposition supporters. WP is also an easy and soft target compared to the PAP.

Frankly I too like to see more penetration in terms of addressing issues outside social issues. I also like to see more WP presence in the Net about their activities and what they are doing. The young ones need to get on board but WP are not doing themselves any favour.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are only at the first stage of opposition politics. Just getting seats is a major accomplishment in a system that does not favour any form of opposition politics. Anyone with 20 years of adulthood behind you will tell you that the PAP and this govt is waiting for an opportunity to bury any opposition candidates with lawsuits and roadblocks.

The Workers Party effectiveness is taking over seats from the PAP. Some years ago breaching the GRC fortress was unthinkable. It has given hope to other parties. More importantly at least one new party is expected with a credible candidates.

Its a question of tactics built on a good strategy.

My sense is that there is a mixture of envy and frustration out there among opposition supporters. WP is also an easy and soft target compared to the PAP.

Frankly I too like to see more penetration in terms of addressing issues outside social issues. I also like to see more WP presence in the Net about their activities and what they are doing. The young ones need to get on board but WP are not doing themselves any favour.

scroobal is old liao.... all their news is on facebook . go get a facebook acct.. if you need help setting up a new account let me know, i can help you

peope dun do blogs or come to low traffic forum...
you are losing touch with online community and

all of WP acct is administer by the actual persons....
Sylvia and Low dun really have an acct, Faisal and Png are not very active maybe cause they old liao ... like you but they still have a stog online presence.... peopel who bother to find out more about their news will not be disappointed...

LLL, Swee Bee and Hong Boon are always snapping away peektures

compare with SDP online pressence.

Michelle and Ang Yong Guan have 0 online pressence... Teo Soh Lung has negative online pressence... she is broken record that only have 1 topic... she is still living in the 70s and 80s

Dr VW and CSJ acct just parrot each other posting at the same time... can see it is managed by the same admin ... no sincerity ...compare with Sylvia and Low, they dun bother to do.. they wun ask some 1 to do

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
scroobal said:
There is no need to bitch and moan about the WP. There is no need to wait for the WP to deliver anything. Just ignore the WP if it upsets you. Why the hell are you waiting for any dawn from them in the very first place. They have their supporters and they have done well with their brand of politics.

Just stand behind your own party of choice and tell us what they have delievered or if you have not any, then tell us what your your ideals are for an opposition party.

There is no law that requires you expect the WP to deliver anything. Seriously what were you hoping for. I am sure people are keen to find out.

You got me wrong. My post was put up in response to people who said do this, do that except to win seats in parliament. WP was never my target for criticism even if they are reticent about their plans and direction. My wish is very obvious from my previous posts - win enough seats to change things within parliament. If momentum can be maintained, it can strike fear in the ruling party and things will change. I do not agree with the conventional wisdom that the ruling party will tighten up the rules to control their slight because many things are out of their control - the changing demographics coupled with the new med

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got me wrong. My post was put up in response to people who said do this, do that except to win seats in parliament. WP was never my target for criticism even if they are reticent about their plans and direction. My wish is very obvious from my previous posts - win enough seats to change things within parliament. If momentum can be maintained, it can strike fear in the ruling party and things will change. I do not agree with the conventional wisdom that the ruling party will tighten up the rules to control their slight because many things are out of their control - the changing demographics coupled with the new med

agreed, LHL dun have the ball or the will and the environment to do an LKY ...
WP learnt too many painful lessons from dat JBJ to fug up again

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You got me wrong. My post was put up in response to people who said do this, do that except to win seats in parliament. WP was never my target for criticism even if they are reticent about their plans and direction. My wish is very obvious from my previous posts - win enough seats to change things within parliament. If momentum can be maintained, it can strike fear in the ruling party and things will change. I do not agree with the conventional wisdom that the ruling party will tighten up the rules to control their slide because many things are simply out of their control - the changing demographics coupled with the new media, problems created from past policies e.g. Asset Enhancement Programme, FT issue, healthcare infrastructure inadequacy, transportation issue, grassroots frustration, succession issue etc. As

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fook Seng said:
You got me wrong. My post was put up in response to people who said do this, do that except to win seats in parliament. WP was never my target for criticism even if they are reticent about their plans and direction. My wish is very obvious from my previous posts - win enough seats to change things within parliament. If momentum can be maintained, it can strike fear in the ruling party and things will change. I do not agree with the conventional wisdom that the ruling party will tighten up the rules to control their slide because many things are simply out of their control - the changing demographics coupled with the new media, problems created from past policies e.g. Asset Enhancement Programme, FT issue, healthcare infrastructure inadequacy, transportation issue, grassroots frustration, succession issue etc. As

As ruling party votes slide towards 50% the GRC becomes a double-edged sword. It will be suicide for the ruling party to continue focus on just protecting seats using a GRC system than on gaining popular votes as if their popular votes go below 50%, they will lose their seat majority at an accelerated rate. The more fear is struck that popular votes will continue to decline, they will need to change not only for the moment but also for the endgame. It will be a very testing time for them. For m

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry. My post keeps sending out at the wrong place. My hope is for a change in the political system with more proportionate representation. It would be a system not necessarily based on SMC. It could even be a multi-ticket GRC with proportionate representation conditions. If such a fair system can be put in place, I don't really care which party is in charge, PAP, WP, or any other or a coalition.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree that initially he might not have been easy. But when Chee went on to retain his seat in his own right, the die was cast. The fact that SDP lost it 3 seats further compounded the matter. Chee has his own pull and charisma and he could have pulled it off but lack of acumen is now firmly entrenched.

He should have re-branded to avoid carrying unnecessary baggage. Branding in politics is important.

I was referring to a seat in parliament, and I understand Chee has never obtained a seat there. At its zenith, the 3 MP seats were occupied by Chiam, Ling and Cheo. It would be madness to leave it all despite the negativity associated with the party. On hindsight, it was probably better to leave but it would not have been a natural thing to do.

Perhaps sometimes you just gotta take one for the team.