• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will PAP sue TJS after the PE ???

roaringlion

Alfrescian
Loyal
PE: Candidates air views in forum
Posted: 19 August 2011 2000 hrs

SINGAPORE: The four presidential candidates had a chance to air their views on a gamut of issues at a forum organised by a blog site on Thursday night.

Fielding a question about Singapore's reserves, Dr Tony Tan said it would take "great persuasion" for him to agree to dipping into the reserves.

And he said whether the public is told about it would depend on the advice of the Council of Presidential Advisers.

On the other hand, the other three candidates, Dr Tan Cheng Bock, Mr Tan Kin Lian and Mr Tan Jee Say, all favoured being more open and transparent to the public.

Another issue raised was concerning the Internal Security Act (ISA).

Dr Tony Tan said the ISA helped in Singapore's fight against terrorism.

He brought up the recent incident in Norway and said that the modern reality of life is that terrorism can occur anywhere.

Mr Tan Jee Say, however, suggested that in Singapore the ISA is being used as a tool against its political opponents.

He said other countries without the ISA were dealing with terrorism using other laws and suggested Singapore could do the same.

Other topics such as Singapore's death penalty and the role of the Council of Presidential Advisers were also discussed at the forum organised by The Online Citizen.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SINGAPORE: The four presidential candidates had a chance to air their views on a gamut of issues at a forum organised by a blog site on Thursday night.

Fielding a question about Singapore's reserves, Dr Tony Tan said it would take "great persuasion" for him to agree to dipping into the reserves.

And he said whether the public is told about it would depend on the advice of the Council of Presidential Advisers.
Is this what TT said? I find this hard to swallow - these "wise guys" who are not elected, get to decide what information to dispense to the citizens, when it is our own money? And don't give me this crap about the information will lead to an attack on the Singapore dollar.
On the other hand, the other three candidates, Dr Tan Cheng Bock, Mr Tan Kin Lian and Mr Tan Jee Say, all favoured being more open and transparent to the public.

Another issue raised was concerning the Internal Security Act (ISA).

Dr Tony Tan said the ISA helped in Singapore's fight against terrorism.

He brought up the recent incident in Norway and said that the modern reality of life is that terrorism can occur anywhere.

Mr Tan Jee Say, however, suggested that in Singapore the ISA is being used as a tool against its political opponents.

He said other countries without the ISA were dealing with terrorism using other laws and suggested Singapore could do the same.

Other topics such as Singapore's death penalty and the role of the Council of Presidential Advisers were also discussed at the forum organised by The Online Citizen.

TT's fudging on the ISA question was reflective of how honest he can be when elected. And he is quite happy to pass responsibility to the Council when it comes to whether we know how/when our reserves are used?

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tony Tan, the Mr Nice Guy of the PAP, made a thinly veiled 'threat' against TJS that he should watch his words over TJS' remark that the ISA was used against political opponents of the government.

Tony Tan warned TJS to back up his claim as that was a 'serious charge'. TOC should have invited Vincent Cheng and Teo Soh Lung and let both of them 'back up' with their personal experiences.

So Lim Chin Siong was never LKY's political opponent ? Chia Thye Poh not a politician ?

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pointless to deny it. Chia Thye Poh, Francis Seow, the Worker's Party's "Marxists", etc offer ample proof that it is indeed used against Phony Tan's PAP political opponents.

Only liars or those born deaf, dumb and blind or who are given the name of "Tony" at birth will claim otherwise.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tony Tan, the Mr Nice Guy of the PAP, made a thinly veiled 'threat' against TJS that he should watch his words over TJS' remark that the ISA was used against political opponents of the government.

Tony Tan warned TJS to back up his claim as that was a 'serious charge'.

Phony Tan is probably short of $600,000 for his campaign.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pointless to deny it. Chia Thye Poh, Francis Seow, the Worker's Party's "Marxists", etc offer ample proof that it is indeed used against Phony Tan's PAP political opponents.

Only liars or those born deaf, dumb and blind or who are given the name of "Tony" at birth will claim otherwise.

That was a rare slip from Tony Tan. It's not the denial surprised me; it's the threat of defamation as suggested by the TS.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the reasons TJS may not be suitable as he conduct himself as an adversary of the government. As a future president, the idea is not only to win over the people, but also the PAP. Once they have the view that the candidate has opposing views then it will be bye bye blackbird.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
That was a rare slip from Tony Tan. It's not the denial surprised me; it's the threat of defamation as suggested by the TS.

Phony Tan is still living in a pre-Internet era where he and his PAP party controlled information and could intimidate everyone with threats of ISD arrests, defamation suits, IRAS harassments, harassments from their Prostitute Press, etc.

His master, the Despot, is not very far from his deathbed. His cronies and members of the establishment are hedging and looking out for their own personal interests in a not too distant post-Despot future.

Phony knows he can't do squat now without facing the wrath of a citizenry who have unshackled themselves from the fear of the past. The young and the brave are leading the charge now.

Best for Phony to get it into his thick head that the world has changed and has moved on and no one is afraid of his silly little antics and bullshits like they were in the past.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
An example of the courage and fearlessness of the young. And I salute them for it. One can hardly imagine this happening in the past as Phony Tan and his gang of PAP thugs had a stranglehold of information and all the levers of power of the state. They could and did misuse and abuse these powers because there was no scrutiny and even if there was, we could not get the message out to the public.

www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7053

Written by Ng E-Jay
19 August 2011

An Open Letter to Dr Tony Tan

Dear Dr Tony Tan,

I do not support booing. I believe there are far better ways for voters to express their disapproval of your candidacy, such as voting against you on polling day. Personally, I know it’s a very long shot, but it would be great if you lost your election deposit.

However, do you know why you were booed? Do you know why people turned up at the nomination centre to call you “jiak liao bee” — a Hokkien slang meaning “good for nothing”? Do you know why some people shouted the name of your son Patrick (NOT that I would EVER condone such behaviour)? Do you know why the crowd chanted “bullshit” at the end of your speech?

Booing of election candidates happens very often in developed countries. The Prime Minister of Australia has been pelted and booed. It is boorish and unproductive behaviour that should never be encouraged. However, what happened on nomination day in Singapore was a different matter.

The ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) governed Singaporeans with an iron fist for much of our nation’s history since independence. In the early years, the government under former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew shut down civic organizations, eradicated political opposition, and co-opted all influential segments of society to serve the PAP’s interest exclusively.

As cabinet minister from 1980 to 1991, and later, from 1995 to 2005, Singaporeans see you as part of that enormous PAP machinery that hollowed out civil society and clamped down on freedom of speech and expression. Unlike Dr Tan Cheng Bock who was a PAP MP from 1980 to 2006, you never offered vociferous opposition to policies and governmental actions that manifestly served the party’s rather than the people’s interest.

For a long time, the mainstream press has been part of this machinery that perpetuated PAP’s dominance and kept dissenting voices from being aired. As Chairman of Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) from 2005 to 2011, you remain in the minds of the younger generation a potent symbol of how the government has muzzled citizens. You are seen as part of the force that has tried to hold back change.

You have been openly and repeatedly endorsed by key PAP ministers, as well as trade unions, clans, and other civic organizations that have no businesses entering the political arena. I do not know if all this endorsement will work in your favour, but I certainly hope they backfire. These endorsements tell me you are not independent as you claim to be.

Singaporeans have lost life and limb serving National Service. All they ask in return is that every citizen is treated equally and fairly. Yet when the time came to be transparent and forthright about your son’s 12-year deferment, you were neither. You had one chance to set the record straight, but you fled like an apparition encountering the first rays of the morning sun.

You have participated in defamation suits that ultimately led to the bankruptcy of J.B. Jeyaretnam and Tang Liang Hong.

You were a silent supporter of the 1987 ISA arrests unlike Mr Chiam See Tong, who despite not being in the PAP inner circle, knew that those arrests were a breach of human rights and had the courage to speak his mind in Parliament in defence of those 22 innocent social workers.

Compared to the suffering of these people, your being booed on nomination day pales in comparison.

In a nutshell, other candidates were cheered while you alone were booed because other candidates want Singaporeas to overcome their shackles and aspire to greater heights, but you alone want Singaporeans to be content with the status quo.

Singaporeans are no longer content to remain in shackles or to accept the status quo. They want change. You do not represent change. You represent an era of government oppression that held back change and incarcerated or even bankrupted those who campaigned for change.

I do not believe you should be booed. But I firmly believe you should not be president. You do not deserve that honour.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tony Tan have revealed his PAP fangs. Typical behaviour of old fart. This guy is guilty as hell.
TJS stood up to TT for the detainees. The other two kept quite.
TJS have great moral courage.
Vote for TJS.
Fuck uncle tony.

Last edited:

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
:

:

List of cases where ISA was used:

1963 – Operation Coldstore, a joint Malaysian-Singaporean operation to arrest 117 opposition party and labor union leaders, some of whom were detained for up to 17 years.
1966 – Chia Thye Poh, a member of the Barisan Sosialis, was detained without trial for 32 years under the ISA. He spent the last nine years under forms of house arrest and civil rights restrictions, including confinement on the island of Sentosa.
1987 – In a security operation known as Operation Spectrum, 22 Roman Catholic church and social activists and professionals were detained under the ISA. They were accused of being members of a dangerous Marxist conspiracy bent on subverting the government by force and replacing it with a Marxist state.
1997 – Two were arrested in Singapore for espionage activities. One was a male Singapore Permanent Resident who was a deep-cover operative of a foreign intelligence service. He had used the other, a female Singaporean, as a collaborator. The two have since been released. [9]
1998 - Four were arrested in Singapore for espionage activities. Three were controlled agents for a foreign intelligence agency. One of them recruited the fourth person to collect intelligence on and to subvert a local community organisation. The four have since been released. [10]
December 2001 – Fifteen alleged members of the Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) militant group were arrested for involvement in the Singapore embassies attack plot.[11]
August–September 2002 – Another 21 alleged members of JI were arrested.[citation needed]
February 2006 - Alleged JI head Mas Selamat bin Kastari extradited from Indonesia and detained without trial under the ISA. He escaped from custody in February 2008. Rearrested on 1 April 2009, this time under the Malaysian version of the Act.
June 2007 - Lawyer Abdul Basheer was arrested in a Middle Eastern country, repatriated, and detained in Singapore for planning and preparing to engage in militant activities in Afghanistan. In February 2010, he was released from detention.
July 2010 - Full time NSF personnel Muhammad Fadil Abdul Hamid was detained on 4 April 2010 under the Act with two others placed under restriction orders.[12]

TJS must learn to be more tactical, eg. propose to review all the above cases to see if there are other means to address those incident, be it criminal laws or additional anti-terrorism laws.

Strategy.png

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
TJS is too confrontational ... wanting to score points ... but bad move ... low EQ ... he is digging his own grave ... even if he wins .... he will be ineffective as the full weight of government will cast upon him ....

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote "
Attorney-General Walter Woon:
“As far as I am concerned, the Government’s case is still not proven. I would not say those fellows were Red, not from the stuff they presented…I think a lot of people have this scepticism.” (Straits Times, 6 July 1991)
Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam:
“Although I had no access to state intelligence, from what I knew of them, most were social activists but not out to subvert the system.” (Straits Times, 2001)
It was revealed recently in the PAP propagandist book “Men in White” that former National Development minister S Dhanabalan had left the cabinet in the 1991 due to disagreement with how the government had handled Operation Spectrum.
Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong:
“At that time, given the information, he (Dhanabalan) was not fully comfortable with the action we took….His makeup is that of a very strong Christian so he felt uncomfortable and thought they could be more of such episodes in future. So he thought since he was uncomfortable, he’d better leave the cabinet.” (“Men in White”, page 468)"

source: http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/10/29/shanmugam-singapore-isa-subjected-to-checks-and-balances/

bullfrog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends how what he is suing. Which part of TJS's words? I hoep TJS can call his bluff. Then we'll have an independent commission to relook at evidence.

Heck! Elect TJS and let him pardon all of them!

mebirdie

Alfrescian
Loyal
LHL is getting smarter and smarter. He will not sue him, knowing that if he do that it will backfire him greatly on his next election. He knows the serious consequences just to bring one guy down.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the reasons TJS may not be suitable as he conduct himself as an adversary of the government. As a future president, the idea is not only to win over the people, but also the PAP. Once they have the view that the candidate has opposing views then it will be bye bye blackbird.

It is about power and various agencies will look after their own interest and survival. They don't have time to listen to your views.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends how what he is suing. Which part of TJS's words? I hoep TJS can call his bluff. Then we'll have an independent commission to relook at evidence.

He was once a PPS to Lau Goh... Surely got some dirt rite?! Share and get sue by ESM...

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do not believe that TJS is too confrontational. I do not want a Yes Man to the PAP to be President. The President's 1st priority is to the people not to the PAP. TJS tried to counter only after TT challenge him to 'back up' his statement. TJS did no wrong and he is doing what is expected of him as President. Pointless being nice to PAP when its the People that put u there to do your job.