• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why some hawkers so racists?

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was working in a multi-racial and multi-religious environment and my office was organizing the annual D&D. The organizing committee chairman was from the you-know-who race. During a meeting called to discuss food arrangements, a Muslim caterer was chosen for the Muslim staff and a Chinese restaurant for Chinese and Indians. One of the staff was a strict vegetarian. She asked for vegetarian food and named a restaurant to order from. The chairman got irritated and commented, "Ah ya! You are so troublesome." The lady shot back, "If you people are so specific about the type of food you want to eat, what's the problem in ordering my food?" There was deafening silence. The lady got her way.

Clap clap clap

That's a good one.

This shows that if you know you are right and can put your reasoning across well, you will get your way in life.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was working in a multi-racial and multi-religious environment and my office was organizing the annual D&D. The organizing committee chairman was from the you-know-who race. During a meeting called to discuss food arrangements, a Muslim caterer was chosen for the Muslim staff and a Chinese restaurant for Chinese and Indians. One of the staff was a strict vegetarian. She asked for vegetarian food and named a restaurant to order from. The chairman got irritated and commented, "Ah ya! You are so troublesome." The lady shot back, "If you people are so specific about the type of food you want to eat, what's the problem in ordering my food?" There was deafening silence. The lady got her way.

wah she dares to shoot back at that specific race ah? So garang?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is a phenomenon that does a lot of damage to the community. What they think is charitable act at cost to their own business ends up being interpreted as race discriminated. I remember a Malay lady who used to charge a higher price for those with ties at the old Empress Place. It was quite open.

Another irritating practice is that for office parties the Malay staff would require a copy of the caterer's Halal Certificate. The trouble is Muslim caterers cannot apply for Halal certificates only non muslims. So you cannot order real Malay food but Malay food cooked by non Malays with Halal certificates.

After all these years one would have thought these things would be fixed.

At Empress place, you discriminate or offend your customers back in those days, the word goes round very fast, your business suffer. I remember one sugar cane juice vendor was seen reusing the plastic straws, his business dropped tremendously when word went out for six months, or the 'chow hor fun, mee hoon", vendor was seen using the same cloth for wiping the table, wiped the plates & cockroach was an added ingredient; the same six months. Word go round & round, back then it was word of mouth; imagine nowadays of whatsapp, twitter, Facebook, Text Messages etc.. how fast that information can travel...before you can say "when"?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

AhGuan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some malay hawkers are nice. The stall at bedok hawker centre INSPIRASI, i don't think they discriminate.
My 2 cents.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Note that she did not insult that race. She just asked simply: if you people can, why I cannot? Which is perfectly reasonable.

ah i see yes but still she was pretty daring. You see it's like a given that muslims aka malays can sort of have their way around certain things and that many chinese sort of accept it like this. I suppose him being the chairman doesn't really have any power.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would like whoamI to say his piece on this matter of racial harmony interest.

Hmmm...ok. Here goes.

Teres tis nasi padang stall....very famous...at New Geylang Serai mkt The name is "Sinar Pagi".

I been patronising tis stall past 27 years...and he still charges me the same as he charges the Non-Malays. NOt cheap. Extra rice 50cts. And the rice so sikit.

Dont say same race....buddy also he cut throat....

Oh ya. I havent touch on buying thing$ fm Chinese and Indian shops/stall owners hor...

Hmmm.....

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hmmm...ok. Here goes.

Teres tis nasi padang stall....very famous...at New Geylang Serai mkt The name is "Sinar Pagi".

I been patronising tis stall past 27 years...and he still charges me the same as he charges the Non-Malays. NOt cheap. Extra rice 50cts. And the rice so sikit.

Dont say same race....buddy also he cut throat....

Oh ya. I havent touch on buying thing$ fm Chinese and Indian shops/stall owners hor...

Hmmm.....

oh so what's hmmm supposed to be?

Hey we cannot read your mind or what hmmm is supposed to be if you claim that you got charged more from chinese and indian stall owners cos you happen to be a malay then tell us by all means many of us would be surprised cos that would be like the 1st time we have heard of it but tell us. Comeon. Yet i have a feeling you probably don't have a story at all maybe you'll be making one up.

As for that sinar pagi stall well it's just 1 stall and perhaps he just doesn't like your face? Maybe he charges other malays lesser?

jw5

Loyal
The following is based on my real experiences.

There are 2 nasi padang stalls which I frequent quite often.
I've noticed that the first stall A when I see them serving Malays before me, has on one or two occasions given them bigger portions than what I got.
Price was not that much different, can't be sure because we didn't order exactly the same thing.

Stall B I haven't noticed such things, portions and prices seem to be consistent for all customers.
On Chinese New Year's eve this year, I went to this stall to have a breakfast of mee rebus.
The Malay lady manning the stall (not sure if she is the owner) gave me 2 hard boiled eggs instead of the usual one.
Thought she made a mistake and asked her, she replied "Happy New Year".
She did this despite knowing that most of the other stalls were closed and many Chinese customers would be eating from her stall.

jw5

Loyal
I would like whoamI to say his piece on this matter of racial harmony interest.

Debonerman, I always thought that you were Malay (but can't remember why I thought that) but other forummers told me that I'm wrong.

Would you like to clarify or confirm?

jw5

Loyal
oh so what's hmmm supposed to be?

Hey we cannot read your mind or what hmmm is supposed to be if you claim that you got charged more from chinese and indian stall owners cos you happen to be a malay then tell us by all means many of us would be surprised cos that would be like the 1st time we have heard of it but tell us. Comeon. Yet i have a feeling you probably don't have a story at all maybe you'll be making one up.

As for that sinar pagi stall well it's just 1 stall and perhaps he just doesn't like your face? Maybe he charges other malays lesser?

Hmmmmm, I post that quite often too.
Could me that someone asked him to comment, so he hmmmmm, because he was thinking about his comment.

Actually whoami has told quite a few interesting stories in this forum, including one where he brought back some porridge from the mosque for his Chinese neighbours and they told him it was sedap.

Perhaps it is time that you Jah, told us some real life stories of your experiences. I have been waiting for the better part of 10 years already.
Otherwise we might have to assume that a grandparent or parent influenced you and leave it at that.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hmmmmm, I post that quite often too.
Could me that someone asked him to comment, so he hmmmmm, because he was thinking about his comment.

Actually whoami has told quite a few interesting stories in this forum, including one where he brought back some porridge from the mosque for his Chinese neighbours and they told him it was sedap.

Perhaps it is time that you Jah, told us some real life stories of your experiences. I have been waiting for the better part of 10 years already.
Otherwise we might have to assume that a grandparent or parent influenced you and leave it at that.

Look you don't have to speak up for him i'm sure he can speak for himself. Hey if he has experiences to share for someone being racially discriminated then share by all means instead of just putting in hmmm. Like oh hmmmmm means he has been discriminated before but while others type it out like in this thread it's written out he just writes in hmmmm and somehow that's acceptable? Is this what you're insinuating?

Ok he brought back porriage from the mosque for his chinese neighbours then that's all fine and dandy but what does that have to do with this thread? You yourself mentioned you were discriminated or you thought you were discriminated. The fact remains that chinese customers do get discriminated by malay sellers. Is this a fact? Yes it's a valid fact. I have stated a valid fact.

Here's the problem. The problem is ppl like him and probably you get all emotional over it but for different reasons. I'll leave whoami aside and focus on how ppl like you think. You have 1 malay fren yes just 1 malay fren or perhaps observe 1 incident involving 1 malay doing good for a non malay perhaps a chinese and then you're somehow ready to stereotype all malays as nice and good hearted ppl. This is a fact. I have read ppl with your mentality and your type of reasoning many number of times. They'll say hey i have 1 malay fren and he/she is nice to me so all malays are nice ppl. :rolleyes: Yet somehow it doesn't work the other way. I have yet to ever hear a malay say hey i have 1 nice chinese fren he's nice to me so all chinese are nice.

In reality chinese do nice things for malays and vice versa it also happens the other way around chinese do bad things to malays and so do malays do bad things to chinese. Yet somehow for ppl like you you see 1 nice malay or 1 incident where a malay did a good thing and you're ready to forget all the bad things other malays did and the good things chinese ppl did. I have nailed this down to a T.

You see you're somehow so ready to go over to his side and somehow defend him and excuse the malay sellers from being racist. In future bui kia should just write malay sellers hmmmmmm and that's acceptable.

Also as for 10 yrs well i don't think i remember your nick from last time. Were you always using this nick? I sort of vaguely recall a jw5 in the old forum but not clearly unlike nicks like injunction, madmansg for eg.

jw5

Loyal
Also as for 10 yrs well i don't think i remember your nick from last time. Were you always using this nick? I sort of vaguely recall a jw5 in the old forum but not clearly unlike nicks like injunction, madmansg for eg.

I have been using this nick for 10 years and don't have any other nicks.
The accounts I tell are based on real experiences.
Do tell one of yours, so we can know why you are like that.
You did notice my account included both stalls A AND B didn't you?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have been using this nick for 10 years and don't have any other nicks.
The accounts I tell are based on real experiences.
Do tell one of yours, so we can know why you are like that.
You did notice my account included both stalls A AND B didn't you?

sure in army met many kelings who behaved like what i have written. Kenna charged extra 50 cents last time despite the stall price clearly stated there not sure if that was due to race.

You ignored the rest of my posting and just talked about your stall A and B. Ok stall B gave you one extra egg on cny. That's really touching i'm actually tearing.

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
82646800.png

diversifyx2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think they don't like non muslim using their utensils. Not being racist but its true to the core.

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Think they don't like non muslim using their utensils. Not being racist but its true to the core.

True.Which is why Non-musLims have to be mindfuL themseLves when ordering different foods and eating at the same tabLe with your friends/famiLy.PersonaLLy i see to that.

Townair

Alfrescian
Loyal
I seldom eat Malay or Indian Muslim food. Mostly too spicy and fatty. It also tends to be more expensive and less value for money. Nothing racist, just market value comment. I like satay though. But if I can find a Chinese satay stall, I'll choose the Chinese stall since I can get pork satay there.