• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why do people like to wear Rolex?

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
sometimes , its the customers who push up the value of a product without any marketing department help .

Yes, the keyword is sometimes. Most of time, you need the marketing department to shake up the whole frenzy. The moment you get a famous person to be your ambassador, marketing is at work.

Again, I emphasize I don't begrudge the small group of hobbyists for their genuine pursuit of horology.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sometimes , its the customers who push up the value of a product without any marketing department help .

That's inherently the success of the product and brandname itself. Even handcuffs are called Rolex. I've never heard anyone hancuffed calling them some other brands of wristwatch.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes, the keyword is sometimes. Most of time, you need the marketing department to shake up the whole frenzy. The moment you get a famous person to be your ambassador, marketing is at work.

Again, I emphasize I don't begrudge the small group of hobbyists for their genuine pursuit of horology.

thankyou for being fair to those who are genuine timepiece collector .

by the way , iphone also dont need to use famous person for any marketing strategy ..

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't know where you stand in the society. But assuming that you're the President of USA, or a Nobel Prize Winner, or a top Hollywood Movie Director, or a Royal of Saudi Arabia, and if you wear a Casio, and only a Casio, you become a very good marketing agent, not for Casio, for the quality called 'humble'. I remember someone in this forum told me : "If you have the quality, you're not afraid to be humble."

Rolex and other brands are of course doing the exact opposite.

Wah .... you very cheeem ..... no understand ..... but I feel good wearing my plastic strapped casio ... until lost in flood .... and bought another at $8.50 .... but not as good as old one ..... guess something growing with me gone ....:(

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
thankyou for being fair to those who are genuine timepiece collector .

by the way , iphone also dont need to use famous person for any marketing strategy ..

Steve Job is an icon.

Anyway, you're not comparing apples with apples. You people are the one who insist that luxury mechanical watches are an ART. Would anybody consider iPhone an ART ?

I'm fair to genuine timepiece collectors, but I also admire the honesty of the ordinary uncles and aunties who wear Rolex timepieces. They're not afraid to admit that they want to earn that little bit of respect from fellow admirers. At least they don't give me that bullshit about art and investment.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tong ur head lah.... tong centre dun sell rolex! they will refer you to lucky plaza to buy one. wanna bullshit pls bullshit properly

You can blame Ramseth's memory, but if you've been long enough in this forum you will be utterly shocked if a person who speaks like Ramseth does not own a Rolex.

I, for one, believe 100% that he owns a Rolex.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Steve Job is an icon.

Anyway, you're not comparing apples with apples. You people are the one who insist that luxury mechanical watches are an ART. Would anybody consider iPhone an ART ?

I'm fair to genuine timepiece collectors, but I also admire the honesty of the ordinary uncles and aunties who wear Rolex timepieces. They're not afraid to admit that they want to earn that little bit of respect from fellow admirers. At least they don't give me that bullshit about art and investment.

im not saying iphone is an art , since when did i said that ? im just saying it is iphone cutomers who pushes the demand of its sales and not iphone marketing strategy department .

do you not believe that timepiece is an art or for investment ?

Last edited:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Live in 6th Avenue and wear cheapskate watch and slippers, you must be Locke Liberal relative!

Aiyoh ...... Locke lived down the road and I may say so need a make-over of the house to say the least ....:biggrin::biggrin: as for me I worked at Cold Storage as packer lah ..... and then 2nd job at kopi shop across the road lah ....:( After work cycle back home at midnight lah ....:(

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Live in 6th Avenue and wear cheapskate watch and slippers, you must be Locke Liberal relative!

theres nothing wrong with casio ..if im in my teens i will collect casio too ..it got cool design . when i was young , i used to own 20 G-shock . i still have them now .

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I had one Casio before also. Gift from my Japanese ex-girlfriend who worked for Casio. Yes, it was good. But she told me, wear it for sports. When go formal events, wear my Rolex.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm not sure if humble is the correct word to describe him. He sees himself as a plane, and his neighbours as motorcycles :biggrin:

You can say he doesn't show off. He is not 'hao lian' but that itself is not equivalent to 'humble'.

I understand what you mean. You look down on others as inferior, but you are intelligent and courteous enough not to let it show.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You can blame Ramseth's memory, but if you've been long enough in this forum you will be utterly shocked if a person who speaks like Ramseth does not own a Rolex.

I, for one, believe 100% that he owns a Rolex.

i don't care if he owns a helicopter. some of his past postings are borderline homosexual, although sometimes he puts up good stuff

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are rich, you have houses, fast cars, stocks and cash. You may even have a few mistresses.

Wearing an expensive watch doesn't mean you are rich.

Self-esteem, my friend. He is telling people that toilet-cleaners like him are not as poor as you think. His work is just a pastime, a hobby to keep himself healthy and sane or probably heeding the advice of MM Lee's wise words - "Once you stop working, you are finished".

I do see hawkers wearing flashy necklaces and Ah Beng in slippers and singlet - and a heavy gold chain on his wrist or neck! An anomaly no doubt. But the young people wearing flashy clothes or driving flashy cars and frequenting pubs and boutiques are often the one with little cash in their wallets and owing banks credit card debts or living on instalments. To each his own, I would say.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
What do you guys think? Am I correct?

I bought a Rolex Oyster Perpetual in 1985 for about SGD900. It was a huge amount of money at the time but some rich old geyser who was one of my vendors at the time recommended it when we were having a discussion about time pieces.

He said that it was the only brand he knew that would actually appreciate over time and that I should ditch the idea of getting a cheapo Seiko for a quarter of the price.

I bit the bullet and paid the price and it's still going today. However, as far as investments go, I'd break even at best if I sold it today. All mechanical watches require servicing every few years and the bill for mine has ranged from $200 to $650 every 5 years or so. I'll need to spend more money soon as the phosphorous on the hands and face no longer glows in the dark.

rolex-oyster-perpetual.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I prefer the understated good looks of the IWC portuguese. Now tell me this is not a handsome watch:

Those are great watches but leather straps don't last and smell to high heaven after a few months. Steel bracelet models are the way to go.