• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Whomever is TJS's image consultant should be shot!!!!!!

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
I receive the poster for Tan Jee say today and to my horror, his English and Chinese slogan do not match. Not only they dont match, the Chinese slogan was downright insulting.

I was still thinking between voting for tan Cheng Bock or tan Jee Say. But with this booboo, I can now safety declare that my vote, the vote of my family and some of my coworkers ( which is about 25 votes in total) will now go for Tan Cheng Bock.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I receive the poster for Tan Jee say today and to my horror, his English and Chinese slogan do not match. Not only they dont match, the Chinese slogan was downright insulting.

I was still thinking between voting for tan Cheng Bock or tan Jee Say. But with this booboo, I can now safety declare that my vote, the vote of my family and some of my coworkers ( which is about 25 votes in total) will now go for Tan Cheng Bock.

Yay for Tan Cheng Bock

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wow....TJS' supporters must now suffer sleepless nights because they lost some precious 25 votes. They must be squeezing their balls....and losing their morale over your 25 votes.

roaringlion

Alfrescian
Loyal

Then you might as well vote for TT. This kind of attitude will cause TT to beat all the rest of Tans. TJS has the best chance to fight TT, so please don't waste you votes on the other Tans. Vote TJS.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then you might as well vote for TT. This kind of attitude will cause TT to beat all the rest of Tans. TJS has the best chance to fight TT, so please don't waste you votes on the other Tans. Vote TJS.

My entire family clan has 300 votes. I'm not bluffing you, I control ALL their votes. We were trying to decide on whether to vote for TJS or TCB. But I noticed last night at the TP stadium that TJS forgot to tie his shoelaces. WTF ? Sorry, my family clan will now vote for TCB:*:

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why should I vote for TT? and on what attitude are you even talking abt??

if TJS is serious, he should have double check on his slogans and not have it mismatched.

let me explain:

TJS's english slogan is "heart of the nation". which is fine.
but his Chinese slogan is "conscious of the nation" or Gou Jia De liang Xing.

Does it even match??
the 2 slogan totally differs in meaning and even intentions. Now who made the booboo?

I attribute this to the one who is responsible for TJS's marketing program. However, TJS himself should have try to check and ensure that consistancy is there.

I understand some of you guys want to vote TJS so that he can "create trouble" for the PAP goverment. But how can you vote for him when instead of creating problems for his political opponent, he already created problems for himself??

So there. this is my put off, my view and my decision.and..... the collective decision of many I know of whom had seek my opinion and suggestion on who to vote for.

If you dont like it, Democracy is a bitch. Too bad for you.

jeesus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah solid! So you prefer literal translation of heart of nation, "guo jia de xing"? Wah good joke bro.

PhuaTeKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think 'liang xing' in the Chinese slogan should mean 'good heart' in this context. :smile:

http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/135307433
良心是什么意思?

1个人内心的是非感;对自己行为、意图或性格的好坏的认识;同时具有一种做好人好事的责任感,常被认为能引起对于做坏事的内疚和悔恨
2对道德行为主要原则的先天知识
1. 本谓天然的善良心性。
《孟子·告子上》:“虽存乎人者,岂无仁义之心哉?其所以放其良心者,亦犹斧斤之於木也。” 朱熹 集注:“良心者,本然之善心。即所谓仁义之心也。”
2. 多指内心对是非、善恶的正确认识。
宋 王应麟 《困学纪闻·考史》:“ 仆固怀恩 叛 唐 , 李日月 为 朱泚 将,而其母皆知逆顺之理,良心不可泯也。” 清 和邦额 《夜谭随录·霍筠》:“彼岂有真才实学,能起死回生耶?徒以人命为孤注耳,良心安在!” 巴金 《灭亡》四九:“但是她一旦离开了他,特别在夜深人静的时候,他便感觉到剧烈的良心上的痛悔。”
3. 好心。
《西游记》:“ 大圣 本是良心,沙僧 却有疑意。”

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok... So how would you do it.

Not going to give any suggestions as this is the job of TJS's marketing experts and not mime

I have point out the inconsistancy and the result of that. The rest is his... if he know how to save his skin at so late in the campaign.

jeesus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heart of the nation also involves conscience. So no matter how you look at it, there is nothing wrong.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think 'liang xing' in the Chinese slogan should mean 'good heart' in this context. :smile:

http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/135307433
良心是什么意思?

1个人内心的是非感;对自己行为、意图或性格的好坏的认识;同时具有一种做好人好事的责任感,常被认为能引起对于做坏事的内疚和悔恨
2对道德行为主要原则的先天知识
1. 本谓天然的善良心性。
《孟子·告子上》:“虽存乎人者,岂无仁义之心哉?其所以放其良心者,亦犹斧斤之於木也。” 朱熹 集注:“良心者,本然之善心。即所谓仁义之心也。”
2. 多指内心对是非、善恶的正确认识。
宋 王应麟 《困学纪闻·考史》:“ 仆固怀恩 叛 唐 , 李日月 为 朱泚 将,而其母皆知逆顺之理,良心不可泯也。” 清 和邦额 《夜谭随录·霍筠》:“彼岂有真才实学,能起死回生耶?徒以人命为孤注耳,良心安在!” 巴金 《灭亡》四九:“但是她一旦离开了他,特别在夜深人静的时候,他便感觉到剧烈的良心上的痛悔。”
3. 好心。
《西游记》:“ 大圣 本是良心,沙僧 却有疑意。”

This is Singapore, not China.

roaringlion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese translation is acceptable.

If you want to not vote for TJS, you can easily come up with any excuses (何患无辞?). But please note the consequences (黄雀在后), you will just benefit TT.

Of course, this is a democratic process, you are free to do anything you want.

pocoyo

Alfrescian
Loyal
TJS's english slogan is "heart of the nation". which is fine.
but his Chinese slogan is "conscious of the nation" or Gou Jia De liang Xing.

Does it even match??
the 2 slogan totally differs in meaning and even intentions. Now who made the booboo?

Before you keep shouting about the booboo, you should have shown it like what you do now. So people know what you are shouting about.

As for the booboo you are talking about, I am afraid you are the one making the booboo but not the poster or TJS.

Just one question, are you actually good in your Chinese Lanaguage?

Otherwise, you should check the fact first before you jump on the other..

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think its intentional - the slight mismatch between the English & Chinese slogan.

for me, the heart of the nation sounds easier to comprehend and understand vs the direct translation from the Chinese - 国家的良心

Cos if i use the Conscience of the nation - first off, those not so highly educated Singaporeans will think hard regarding "conscience" - it is quite abstract. Whereas heart of the nation, is easier to understand. Better buy-in. Conscience is in my opinion, too heavy a word to use. Its like inferring, no one else has conscience and something bad is happening.

Conversely, if i translate from Chinese, the good heart of the nation - sound too flimsy too. Now, i translate = heart of the nation literally - 国家的心, it is no doubt, 1 to 1 translation of the English but it will sound weird in Chinese. Because to me, it does not carry the impact.

国家的良心carries off the message better. I think he started off with the English slogan and find the best adaptation of the Chinese translation.

How about the Malay and Tamil translation - do they show such difference as well?