• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Whole family sign on SAF army, guess what race?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first batch of DPM camos had two major problems:
  • the colour ran faster then Usain Bolt
  • the material was too thick and dense and did not allow the skin to 'breathe'.

Apparently, for a while, MINDEF couldn't care less about the feedback. This was despite the fact that recruits were dropping like 10-pins from heat exhaustion. Then, the head of the department supplying the uniform experienced the it firsthand when he went for his reservist and was issued with the uniform. That prompted immediate action. I'll say no more except that things then moved very quickly and the new uniforms were in place very soon.

The suppliers were Korean and they admitted to failing to meet specifications. So, they made good their shortcomings in double quick time. And the entire 1st generation of DPM uniforms were junked.

It also goes to show that until our leaders feel our pain directly, they will not act to alleviate that pain. We must let them feel our pain.

and now they have a cocked up colour ....

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
981366_10151747553676063_1834557233_o.jpg

A Family of Soldiers

2LT Jordon Ong Zhi Rong is following the foot-steps of his mum, MWO Jennifer Tan, his twin brothers, 1SG Jeffrey Ong Zhi Wei, SSG Jason Ong ZhiJie by joining the Army as a career and they are all from the Armour Formation.

"At times when I was faced with difficulties, my family will be there to clear my doubts and guide me along. My brothers would share their experiences and give me advice and my mother always encourage me with this phrase, "Put in your best in whatever you do....You will then be able to say that you have given your best and you will never regret it for life", 2LT Jordan shared when asked what kept him going during the challenging times.

And here is what his proud mother has to say. "I would like him to be an inspirational people leader who can make a difference not only as an individual but to the organisation; a leader who is able to influence his people at all levels to achieve organization excellence."

Keep the flag flying high! For the full story click here http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/mi...my_news/News_Archive/2013/Jul2013/OCS_CP.html

Why do Chinese like give their kids names starting with the same letter ? Is it because they might forget their own kids names and need a clue ?
" I KNOW it starts with a J, let me think......Jerry....Jared.....James....oh yeah Jeffrey".

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apparently, for a while, MINDEF couldn't care less about the feedback. This was despite the fact that recruits were dropping like 10-pins from heat exhaustion.

Oh, but those clowns in the army will demand that you write the USMS (improvement suggestion form), only for most of the submitted forms to be junked anyway.

Still wondering why most conscripts detest NS? Wonder no more. No amount of placating with vouchers, discounts or SAFRA memberships will change things.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Apparently, for a while, MINDEF couldn't care less about the feedback. This was despite the fact that recruits were dropping like 10-pins from heat exhaustion. Then, the head of the department supplying the uniform experienced the it firsthand when he went for his reservist and was issued with the uniform. That prompted immediate action. I'll say no more except that things then moved very quickly and the new uniforms were in place very soon.

The suppliers were Korean and they admitted to failing to meet specifications. So, they made good their shortcomings in double quick time. And the entire 1st generation of DPM uniforms were junked.

It also goes to show that until our leaders feel our pain directly, they will not act to alleviate that pain. We must let them feel our pain.

Thanks for this interesting nugget of history on the camo no.4....
Hehe back then kept and used these first generation bleached rank tabs when wearing the newer camos....a 'subtle' way to make the rank be noticed....

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I used to wear my TG rank on my DPM No 4.

Thanks for this interesting nugget of history on the camo no.4....
Hehe back then kept and used these first generation bleached rank tabs when wearing the newer camos....a 'subtle' way to make the rank be noticed....

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And why not?

Why do Chinese like give their kids names starting with the same letter ? Is it because they might forget their own kids names and need a clue ?
" I KNOW it starts with a J, let me think......Jerry....Jared.....James....oh yeah Jeffrey".

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So whoever wants to launch a coup have to bring the bros into their fold first?

We are giving them too much credit. The only coup they are capable of launching is for and on behalf of their PAP paymasters! Remember LKY's dire warning that the SAF may be called in to prevent a freak election result! lol! Paper generals always look good on paper. They will always look after their own interests first. So why rock the boat they are in- first class passengers somemore? :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We are giving them too much credit. The only coup they are capable of launching is for and on behalf of their PAP paymasters! Remember LKY's dire warning that the SAF may be called in to prevent a freak election result! lol! Paper generals always look good on paper. They will always look after their own interests first. So why rock the boat they are in- first class passengers somemore? :biggrin:

Yes pap smart to co-opt these paper generals and domesticate them early.
Though we are essentially a people's army but these fat cats have totally forgotten about the SAf pledge.
Or is it another aspiration? Maybe must change country to PAP.

We, members of the Singapore Armed Forces, do solemnly and sincerely pledge that we will always bear true faith and allegiance to the President and the Republic of Singapore.
We will always support and defend the Constitution. We will preserve and protect the honour and independence of our country with our lives.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes pap smart to co-opt these paper generals and domesticate them early.
Though we are essentially a people's army but these fat cats have totally forgotten about the SAf pledge.
Or is it another aspiration? Maybe must change country to PAP.

We, members of the Singapore Armed Forces, do solemnly and sincerely pledge that we will always bear true faith and allegiance to the President and the Republic of Singapore.
We will always support and defend the Constitution. We will preserve and protect the honour and independence of our country with our lives.

At least some paper generals look old. Have you see the US-Singapore Navy pictures? Our Rear Admiral looks like he's out of kindergarten.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
No lah, when they sign on, they get to choose their preferred vocation right?
Can those who signed on before confirm? wikiphile? papsmearer? kukubird? LOL LOL LOL

actuallly, it depends. usually in my time, you can negotiate the rank and pay scale and vocation before you sign on. Firstly, you sign on usually after you have completed the course. If you sign on during NS and tell them you want armour vocation, they will accomodate you. But once u are on course in school of armour, you have to pass it. Its not guaranteed an easy pass in SOA. In this case because he is 1st Lt, he must have gone through the tank officer cadet course at SOA. I know people who fail the course, its a tough mother of a course. In the SAF, generally the 3 toughest schools an Officer cadet can go through are Commandoes, Armour and Combat Engineers. So, what I am saying is that even if you choose your vocation, a tough one like armour, you must still pass all the courses. And usually, sign on officers are held to a higher standard than NSmen taking the same course.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Yes, the colour ran like fast like diarrhea, and the idiot koreans were the suppliers. But as far as I know, all the ordered uniforms were used up, not junked. After a while, those uniforms started turning white. Good thing we did not go to war at that time. They would have spotted us kms away. The uniforms were hot, but no hotter than the standard green uniform before that. I did not see anyone dropping like flies. In fact, I think I still have a set of them somewhere in my cupboard. what I liked about them was the number of pockets in the pants and shirt. It was really a battle dress.

oratedar

Alfrescian
Loyal
actuallly, it depends. usually in my time, you can negotiate the rank and pay scale and vocation before you sign on. Firstly, you sign on usually after you have completed the course. If you sign on during NS and tell them you want armour vocation, they will accomodate you. But once u are on course in school of armour, you have to pass it. Its not guaranteed an easy pass in SOA. In this case because he is 1st Lt, he must have gone through the tank officer cadet course at SOA. I know people who fail the course, its a tough mother of a course. In the SAF, generally the 3 toughest schools an Officer cadet can go through are Commandoes, Armour and Combat Engineers. So, what I am saying is that even if you choose your vocation, a tough one like armour, you must still pass all the courses. And usually, sign on officers are held to a higher standard than NSmen taking the same course.

Guards leh?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But once u are on course in school of armour, you have to pass it. Its not guaranteed an easy pass in SOA. In this case because he is 1st Lt, he must have gone through the tank officer cadet course at SOA. I know people who fail the course, its a tough mother of a course. In the SAF, generally the 3 toughest schools an Officer cadet can go through are Commandoes, Armour and Combat Engineers. So, what I am saying is that even if you choose your vocation, a tough one like armour, you must still pass all the courses. And usually, sign on officers are held to a higher standard than NSmen taking the same course.

paiseh, u toking about tank officers only or inclusive of AI officers? btw, SOA are stuff with hentakaki regulars who are trainers for these OCT and Sispec trainees, if these trainers are not good enough to lead men in active units, how good are they turning rough stones into gems?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
paiseh, u toking about tank officers only or inclusive of AI officers? btw, SOA are stuff with hentakaki regulars who are trainers for these OCT and Sispec trainees, if these trainers are not good enough to lead men in active units, how good are they turning rough stones into gems?

No lah, in my time, they were not hantakaki types, many of them are very good. SOme are rangers and other vocations too. Some were trained in Israel by combat experienced IDF instructors. As a result, the training was siong as hell, and reflected what they went thru in Israel. By the way, I am talking tank and not AI. Those guy operate abattlefield taxi service.:p

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No lah, in my time, they were not hantakaki types, many of them are very good. SOme are rangers and other vocations too. Some were trained in Israel by combat experienced IDF instructors. As a result, the training was siong as hell, and reflected what they went thru in Israel. By the way, I am talking tank and not AI. Those guy operate abattlefield taxi service.:p

maybe the tank training wing are more competent. at both active and reservist, the tankee pc is the same guy, nice guy, topo first class and his PS, while a NSF aka reservist too, also very good. the crew well trained, seen them in action at the simulation centre while i taking a break from my own 25mm training, i must say the gunners very good, 80% first shot hit. being on the same floor as them during nsf, my platoon are very close with the tankee platoon.

the same cannot be said about the AI training wing. Being at gedong, my company were arrow a few time to provide training troops for the cadets or regulars on conversion course, for the last excercise for the trainers to do a final evalution before commissoning them. both the cadats and regulars make so many errors and show a lack of knowledge. because only troopers and drivers were involve, so it basically these cadets and regulars taking turn on being VC/SC/PC roles. so many time, we pengkias need to prompt them or remind them on the procedures to do, ie.. setting up CCP after an assault, firebase, local protection etc etc... OCTs groondu are expected but regulars with rank of captains and majors from infantry/guards dunno about CCP and firebase?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
maybe the tank training wing are more competent. at both active and reservist, the tankee pc is the same guy, nice guy, topo first class and his PS, while a NSF aka reservist too, also very good. the crew well trained, seen them in action at the simulation centre while i taking a break from my own 25mm training, i must say the gunners very good, 80% first shot hit. being on the same floor as them during nsf, my platoon are very close with the tankee platoon.

the same cannot be said about the AI training wing. Being at gedong, my company were arrow a few time to provide training troops for the cadets or regulars on conversion course, for the last excercise for the trainers to do a final evalution before commissoning them. both the cadats and regulars make so many errors and show a lack of knowledge. because only troopers and drivers were involve, so it basically these cadets and regulars taking turn on being VC/SC/PC roles. so many time, we pengkias need to prompt them or remind them on the procedures to do, ie.. setting up CCP after an assault, firebase, local protection etc etc... OCTs groondu are expected but regulars with rank of captains and majors from infantry/guards dunno about CCP and firebase?

Aiyah, conversion course is different lah. Infantry regular officers are a joke, even up to Colonel and Battalion commander ranks. When you send them to Gedong for AI converion training, they are still a joke. We exercise with almost every infantry battalion, including Commandoes at least once a year, and I can attest to their varying incompetence. But if you enter AI training as a recruit out of BMT, or a Officer Cadet on course, i can't say they turn out a bad product.

Yes, I would say the tank side is very well trained, and they spend the most money on them per capita as opposed to the other SAF vocations. But nowadays with the Leo 2, 80% first hit probability is not going to cut it. Most western tank forces at 90% or higher. 80% first hit would be for an Arab army. LOL

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chiong sua peng of various vocations can talk all day about how garang they are, but if the backline support folks (drivers, mechanics, medics, signallers, engineers etc) stopped giving a shit, then the frontline troops are shit outta luck. :cool: