• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who will win 2010 World Cup?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Greece warmed up for their World Cup opener with a 2-2 draw against North Korea in Altach, Austria, on Tuesday evening.

georgioskaragounisvnorthkorea_275x155.jpg
<CITE>GettyImages</CITE>Georgios Karagounis battles with North Korea's Yun Nam Ji and Yong Hak An

The Greeks twice led through goals from Kostas Katsouranis (two) and Angelos Charisteas (49), but a brace from Kawasaki Frontale forward Jong Tae-Se (24 and 52) pegged them back.
Otto Rehhagel's side start their World Cup campaign against Group B opponents South Korea on June 12, before games against Nigeria and Argentina.
North Korea are in the toughest of the eight pools in South Africa, Group G, alongside Brazil, Ivory Coast and Portugal.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spain were the champions of euro 2008 with most of the team still intact, more experienced, yet still young.
They are not short on experience.

Yes, but their coach is now different. Their players are experienced but you need a experienced coach. I would bet on them if they have a world cup experience coach.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, but their coach is now different. Their players are experienced but you need a experienced coach. I would bet on them if they have a world cup experience coach.

If Spain as reigning Euro champs fail to qualify for 2nd Round, that'd be a national disaster and worldwide quake on the Richter scale at 10. However, they're most likely to meet Brazil or Portugal as early as 2nd Round.

herman_chemin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today France defeated Costa Rica 2 -1 in a friendly match at the Stade the France in preparation for their World Cup appearance. The tempo of the game was fast and furious with France mostly dominating the match. Costa Rica scored first before France level the score with both goals converted in the first half. The 'dwarf' Mathieu Valbuena scored France winning goal in the second half. After watching, I find that France presently lack the flair that they possesed during the last World Cup but I think they will go through to the second round in their group A roughing it out and hopefully finding their 'X factor' by then. I don't know why Anelka is still in the team as I find that he doesn't perform. Viva la France.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
710x.jpg

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva (C) and Brazilian First Lady Marisa Leticia (L), greet Brazil's football player Kaka at Alvorada Palace in Brasilia, on May 26, 2010.

810x.jpg

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva (C-L, in blue suit) poses with Brazil's national football team at Alvorada Palace in Brasilia, on May 26, 2010. The Brazilian team, five-time world champion, embarks today to South Africa, and is among the favorites for the 2010 World Cup which starts on June 11th.​

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
610x.jpg

South Africa's President Jacob Zuma (L) blows a horn as his Algerian counterpart Abdelaziz Bouteflika looks on at the presidential residence in Algiers May 26,2010.​

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
810x.jpg

The Japanese team warm-up with the Swiss Alps in the background during a Japan training session at Saas-Fee Stadium on May 26, 2010 in Saas-Fee, Switzerland.​

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
710x.jpg

France soccer players, second row from left, goalkeeper Steve Mandanda, Sidney Govou, William Gallas, Yoann Gourcuff, Nicolas Anelka, Jeremy Toulalan, front row from left, Eric Abidal, Bakary Sagna, Franck Ribery, Florent Malouda, Patrice Evra pose prior to a friendly soccer match against Costa Rica in Lens, Northern France, Wednesday, May 26, 2010 in preparation for the 2010 World cup in South Africa.

710x.jpg

French forward Mathieu Valbuena (2ndL) is congratuled by French forward Thierry Henry (2ndR) after scoring a goal during the friendly football match France vs. Costa-Rica at the Bollaert Stadium in Lens on May 26, 2010 ahead of the FIFA 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

x550.jpg
x550.jpg

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
610x.jpg

Uruguayan President Jose Mujica (L) jokes with former 1950 WC champion, Uruguayan Alcides Gighia (C), as Uruguayan First Lady and Senator Lucia Topolansky (R) looks on..

710x.jpg

Uruguayan President Jose Mujica (C), his Vice-President Danilo Astori (L) and former 1950 World Cup champion Alcides Gighia shake hands with Uruguayan national team footballers before the farewell friendly match against Israel in Montevideo on May 26, 2010, ahead of the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa.

710x.jpg

Uruguayan President Jose Mujica (C) hands on the national flag to national football team captain Diego Lugano (2nd R) and player Diego Forlan (2nd L), accompanied by Uruguayan Vice-President Danilo Astori (L) and former 1950 World Cup champion Alcides Gighia (R), during the farewell match, ahead of the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa in Montevideo on May 26, 2010.​

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
kim(chi) jong ill calls up wcup organizers in south africa before the opening ceremony....

KJI: "good day, this is kim(chi) jong ill, father of n.korea speaking"
organizer: "good day sir, what seems to be the occassion for you to call?"
KJI: "pop quiz, u've seen glittering diamonds, but have you seen glowing diamonds?"
organizer: "well sir, i've certainly not seen glowing diamonds before"
KJI: "very well, i promise the world will see glowing diamonds, if my cuntry doesnt win the wcup"

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
x610.jpg
x610.jpg

810x.jpg

Uruguayan national team footballers Diego Lugano (L) and Sebastian Abreu hold the trophy after defeating Israel in the farewell football match at the Centenario Stadium in Montevideo on May 26, 2010, ahead of the FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010.​

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's winter in South Africa now.

Winter officially starts on June 20, 2010 in South Africa, but I believe it is mild, compared to winter in Toronto (say Dec 20), where the day time high is usually around 2 to 3C. I do not know the normal June temperature for South Africa, but I guess the day time high should be around 12 to 15C.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
810x.jpg

Italy national team players pose for a group photo during the official Italian Fifa World Cup 2010 portrait session on May 26, 2010 in Sestriere near Turin, Italy.

880x.jpg

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
710x.jpg

Daniele De Rossi (C - Front Row) of Italy laughs during the official Italian Fifa World Cup 2010 portrait session on May 26, 2010 in Sestriere near Turin, Italy.

900x.jpg

Team Italy poses for a group shot during the Italian official Fifa World Cup 2010 portrait session on May 26, 2010 in Sestriere near Turin, Italy.​

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I discount France - they don't deserve to win for 'cheating' their way into the finals. Objectively, their squad is showing signs of age and they lack the cutting edge.

I discount England - they are over-reliant on rooney and his performance at the big stage is still not consistent. Well, he score alot for his club but internationally i don't know.

Argentina looks full of flair but maradona is a bad coach / manager.

Brazil looks not as strong as previous years.

I like germany - they go about their work efficiently.

Another team that will do well is Italy.

Spain i fear will die out, Holland I think is dark horse. Portugal is only as good as CR...

Who else...hmm i think the rest are all side-shows...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I discount England - they are over-reliant on rooney and his performance at the big stage is still not consistent. Well, he score alot for his club but internationally i don't know.

Wayne Rooney scintillated in Euro 2004 but disappointed in World Cup 2006 as Sven-Goran Eriksson obviously miscalculated between Michael Owen and Peter Crouch and the whole plot collapsed when Michael Owen went out with that horrendous injury. The Euro 2008 qualifying campaign was disastrously mismanaged by Steve McClaren and England didn't even qualify. However, under Fabio Capello, Rooney shined again in the World Cup 2010 qualifying campaign with 9 goals in 10 games.

Even so, I don't think England is over-reliant on Rooney today. Peter Crouch's scoring ratio is also very high, about 1 goal per 2 games. That's very high at international level, especially for one without a confirmed 1st-choice place. What I worry for England is their defence, that cost them the Euro 2008 qualification.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
810x.jpg

The Japanese team warm-up with the Swiss Alps in the background during a Japan training session at Saas-Fee Stadium on May 26, 2010 in Saas-Fee, Switzerland.​

Great pic postnew,the name of the stadium remind me of a great racehorse that use to race in bukit timah turf club.thanks

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
England first eleven looks good and capable of winning it if it can avoid injuries. However it lacks strength in depth and lately some the key players show signs of cracking up.:(

Player for player, Argentina looks immense, but got to thank Maradonna for his selection, they probably won't go far.

France looks good also, but will suffer the same fade as Argentina because of the coach.

Though I won't discount the Italian, but this year the teams looks weak. Last world cup they have their "kelong" scandal to thank, for lifting their games, probably not this time.

Germany team does not looks like a world beater. But history has shown time and time again, when their players put on their national jersey, it seems to give them the kind of superpower to conquer the odds.

Spain seems to be creaking to some of their key players, but unlike England they have real strength in depth. So they are one of the leading favorites to lift the world cup.

Brazil needs no introduction, very balance team in all areas, quality coach, should be top contender.

The dark horse, Holland. Have quite a few quality individuals. So if they can avoid the kind of infighting as in the past. They are in to create history.

The Monkees

Alfrescian
Loyal
England will not win it,the best that they can go,is either Quarter-Final or Semi-Final.

Argentina,Brazil,Italy and Spain will be the favourites,i believe one of these team will win the cup.