• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Which is the most significant dialect group in china and is there a ranking?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Teochews in Thailand and Bangkok Yaowarat Chinatown predated the Canton and Hokkien labor exports. The Hokkien Peranakans in Malacca also predated even the Portuguese and Dutch and British tussle over it. They were in there since the Ming Dynasty without any intention of returning to China. The later Chinese migrants (most of our ancestors) actually had the intention of returning to China but that idea was quashed with the CCP victory over KMT and establishment of PRC.

My parents came here during the WWII, down the Pearl River through Macau, known to them as "oh moon", from a region in China, where most of the immigrants settled in SF etc..Toishan or toishanese, hmmm !. aka as the seeyup people. Their intention was to shelter from the civil wars & Japanese invasion in the homeland, make money in Nanyang. My late mother had sent money through Bk of China SINgapore to build an ancestral home, this was later confiscated when the CCP took over & destroyrd during the cultural revolution. They never got home, instead of being buried with the land in China, they left it here in SINgapore, their spirits went home.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ramseth said:
The Teochews in Thailand and Bangkok Yaowarat Chinatown predated the Canton and Hokkien labor exports. The Hokkien Peranakans in Malacca also predated even the Portuguese and Dutch and British tussle over it. They were in there since the Ming Dynasty without any intention of returning to China. The later Chinese migrants (most of our ancestors) actually had the intention of returning to China but that idea was quashed with the CCP victory over KMT and establishment of PRC.

Wonder whether the visible presence of Teochew Chinese could have been due to King Taksin, the first King of Siam who liberated Thailand from Myanmar with the support of China. His father was a Teochew Chinese with a family line possibly linked to Admirer Zhenghe.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wonder whether the visible presence of Teochew Chinese could have been due to King Taksin, the first King of Siam who liberated Thailand from Myanmar with the support of China. His father was a Teochew Chinese with a family line possibly linked to Admirer Zhenghe.

yup the great king thaksin is a teochew. The odd thing is his name is so different from a chinese name.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Taksin unlikely to be related to ZhengHe as Zhenghe hailed from the Muslim non-Han aboringinal tribes of Yunnan.....his family were all killed and he was an eunuch so unlikely to have any descendants

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Narong Wongwan said:
Taksin unlikely to be related to ZhengHe as Zhenghe hailed from the Muslim non-Han aboringinal tribes of Yunnan.....his family were all killed and he was an eunuch so unlikely to have any descendants

Maybe not directly but the family name of Zheng is the same.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
learning local shanghainese
闷特 傻了吧

> > > 吃生活 打人
> > > 嘎梁 眼镜(戴眼镜的人)
> > > 寿头 骂人的话,形容人傻
> > > 夜壶水 。。。。。
> > > 笑不动 太好笑了(或者是让人开心的事情)
> > > 小赤佬 骂人的话,小孩子
> > > 龙头阿三 骂人的话
> > > 空麻袋背米 形容人白手起家(贬义词),比如打麻将不带钱

> > > 敲煤饼 赚小钱
> > > 狠三狠四 形容这人很凶
> > > 戳鸡 吃。。。比如:戳鸡饱饭。。即吃饱饭了
> > > 老家尚 老头
> > > 老三老四 形容人自大,狂妄
> > > 神之胡之 形容人办事轻浮
> > > 斗五斗六 形容人做事鲁莽,不仔细
> > > 一天世界 形容词,“极”的意思。。。比如这人聪明的一天
世界,,,即这人太聪明了
> > > 轧姘头 找外遇、情人
> > > 奥斯两开(小时候玩的时候常说) 实在想不起来了,,请高
人指点
> > > 猜东里猜 石头、剪刀、布
> > > 装胡样 装傻
> > > 猪头三 骂人的话
> > > 涅昏 一般说这人做错事情了,,,,比如以下犯
上。。。。
> > > 港币样子 骂人
> > > 人来疯 你这都不知道
吗???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > > 我帮侬搞搞路子 我来教训你。。。可能是打你。。也可能
是开导你
> > > 认的侬算我路道粗 能认识你,算我狠。。。。可能是贬义
词。可能是褒义词
> > > 辣手 做事情手段狠,或者是形容事情很棘手
> > > 切嘎 。。。。。。。。。。。。。
> > > 妖泥国落 不显眼的地方。。。。
> > > 恩斤狠落斤 做事情太过分
> > > 洋盘 外行
> > > 弄松 捉弄人
> > > 胸闷 心情不好
> > > 头皮桥 傲慢
> > > 花令子 使眼色
> > > 拐倒 摔到在地
> > > 阿无乱冒充金刚转 不懂装懂
> > > 像无宁 乡下人
> > > 洋泾浜 对事物似懂非懂的。。。。
> > > 缺西 骂人的话
> > > 莫子莫国 傻乎乎的
> > > 步分 爬分,赚钱
> > > 额锅头浜着体户办 形容人运气好
> > > 饭泡粥 形容人话多,说话忒贫
> > > 冈巴兹 骂人的话,形容人土
> > > 姆删门 “骂人”
> > > 翘边 北京话的敲边鼓、托儿(买东西时傍边
的托儿在哪儿说话,上海话叫翘边模子)、扇风
> > > 枉司枉 做事情豁出去了,不计后果
> > > 撒呸 SB
> > > 洗骨头 骂人的话,贱
> > > 卖野人头 。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
> > > 戳壁驾 打小报告
> > > 立壁角 罚站
> > > 拷竹杠 。。。。比如说,你请我吃饭,我都点
忒贵的菜,那意思就是拷竹杠
> > > 作瓣头 挑毛病
> > > 切巴头 要受罚了
> > > 册那 骂人的话
> > > 枉对 抬杠
> > > 嘎子嘎俺 装傻充楞
> > > 喇耶记你光 打你一个耳光

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah ! You Know These Languages Well Enuff

Mandarin and Thai have the same five tones. They sound different because the frequency of tones are reversed. Neuter tone is uncommon in Chinese but common in Thai because of many loanwords from Pali. Tones 1 and 2 are reversed to 3 and 4 in frequency of use. Thai is further modified by long and short vowels, whereeas Mandarin has only long vowels. So, both languages are rhythmically distinctive from each other despite using the same set of tones. Hokkien has 8 tones and Cantonese has 9 tones. Other dialects, I don't know.

That's good ! You know Cantonese tones well enough. Actually, in a site they call it 阴阳 Yin and Yang of tones. If you have 4 tones being divided into Yin and Yang then you have at least eight in total. The ninth one is a mystery. But, in Hokkien and Foochowese they are actually 7 tones. Not sure about the 8th although I knew that my Fu Zhou language has 戚林八音 Book of Eight Sounds (Tones).

Cantonese may not be 100% 汉音 Han tone as it has been affected by a few neighbouring tribal languages like the native 百越 100 Yues and the 苗族 Hmong.

But, in Mandarin, four tones in total though there's a fifth tone which seems to coincide with one the four. So, there's no Yin and Yang difference in Mandarin ? Perhaps, only one is divided into Yin and Yang tones which make up the 5th tone.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Wah ! You Know These Languages Well Enuff

That's good ! You know Cantonese tones well enough. Actually, in a site they call it 阴阳 Yin and Yang of tones. If you have 4 tones being divided into Yin and Yang then you have at least eight in total. The ninth one is a mystery. But, in Hokkien and Foochowese they are actually 7 tones. Not sure about the 8th although I knew that my Fu Zhou language has 戚林八音 Book of Eight Sounds (Tones).

Cantonese may not be 100% 汉音 Han tone as it has been affected by a few neighbouring tribal languages like the native 百越 100 Yues and the 苗族 Hmong.

But, in Mandarin, four tones in total though there's a fifth tone which seems to coincide with one the four. So, there's no Yin and Yang difference in Mandarin ? Perhaps, only one is divided into Yin and Yang tones which make up the 5th tone.

So your dialect group is foo chow? On your ic is your dialect group listed as hokkien or hok chia? I never heard of this dialect group foo chow being listed in sg before.

Do they teach these type of tonal stuff like what they teach in hanyu pinyin?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We Hainanese are the best, best cook, best kopi, best calculative, best miser too, LOL

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

hai nam nang bo bah gong hai nam weh. :(

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

So your dialect group is foo chow? On your ic is your dialect group listed as hokkien or hok chia? I never heard of this dialect group foo chow being listed in sg before.

Foo Chow must be Hocchew. Kopi best, better than Hainam. Anyway Sg IC where got list dialects. Even BC after 80s dont list dialects anymore LOL

We Hainanese are the best, best cook, best kopi, best calculative, best miser too, LOL

So GMS and MBT are your clan LOL. Now new one, Hainanese most generous to gals, lend them $10k dont payback nevermind LOL

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
King Taksin was betrayed by the current Chakri dynasty.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lol. Don't know why. Hainanese sounds v cute to me. Reminds me of my granny and relatives. :biggrin:

[video=youtube;HjxMxcK-Jyo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjxMxcK-Jyo&feature=related[/video]

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Need To Educate You Guys More

during the traveling some soldiers "awol" and mixed with the southern people ...

Dherng Nung is NOT 唐人 but 唐郎 ? Why ? In Foochowese, the women called us men as 唐部侬. 侬 Nong in Mandarin is also used by 上海侬 Shanghainese. So, it wasn't 人 Ren !

Both Hokkien and Korean pronounce Nung 郎.

Both Hokkien and Japanese pronounce Jin 人 as in 新加坡人 Shingaporu Jin and 日本人 Nippon Jin.

Both Cantonese and Foochowese pronounce Yin 人 as in 客家人 Hakka Yin.

Oh by the way I was also told by him that we from the south, Cantonese and Hokkien people are not Han. We are more Malay than Han by blood.

闽越 Min Yue people are Austro-Polynesians speaking people. In a Chinese site, this was the place where it was classified as 马来语系 Malayo-Polynesian language group. Actually, you can see them in Singapore. You can't be that blind, right ? It may not be easy for you to spot them straight away, but some do really stand out as non-Chinese: a bit like Thai or Vietnamese type (Indo-Chinese).

黄秀玲 Huang Xiu Ling, our Mediacorpse Mandarin newscaster obviously doesn't look like a non-Han. Frankly speaking, even the physical appearance is deceiving like 小猪 or 罗志祥 is actually from a Taiwanese tribe. But, he does pass off as a Han physically.

About 96.6 % Fu Jian people are of the 黄帝族 Yellow Emperor tribe because your DNA says so. The northerners are not close to 100% but only 70 to 80 something percent.

鲜卑 Xian Bei or Sibe was forcefully merged with the Hans by their non-Han emperor to cast away their old ways of life which is pastoral in nature like the Mongols or the 匈奴 Xiong Nu (proto-Hungarians ?).

Your 花木兰 or Mu Lan wasn't Han at all ! She's a Xian Bei !

Mulan-Wallpaper-disney-6628330-1024-768.jpg

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Conqueror said:

Why do 苗族 in Northern Thailand speak Mandarin? Because of KMT?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Re: Need To Educate You Guys More

Conqueror, this is damn interesting and I got to read it again and again to understand clearly and I will find out more from the internet. Thanks.

Dherng Nung is NOT 唐人 but 唐郎 ? Why ? In Foochowese, the women called us men as 唐部侬. 侬 Nong in Mandarin is also used by 上海侬 Shanghainese. So, it wasn't 人 Ren !

Both Hokkien and Korean pronounce Nung 郎.

Both Hokkien and Japanese pronounce Jin 人 as in 新加坡人 Shingaporu Jin and 日本人 Nippon Jin.

Both Cantonese and Foochowese pronounce Yin 人 as in 客家人 Hakka Yin.

闽越 Min Yue people are Austro-Polynesians speaking people. In a Chinese site, this was the place where it was classified as 马来语系 Malayo-Polynesian language group. Actually, you can see them in Singapore. You can't be that blind, right ? It may not be easy for you to spot them straight away, but some do really stand out as non-Chinese: a bit like Thai or Vietnamese type (Indo-Chinese).

黄秀玲 Huang Xiu Ling, our Mediacorpse Mandarin newscaster obviously doesn't look like a non-Han. Frankly speaking, even the physical appearance is deceiving like 小猪 or 罗志祥 is actually from a Taiwanese tribe. But, he does pass off as a Han physically.

About 96.6 % Fu Jian people are of the 黄帝族 Yellow Emperor tribe because your DNA says so. The northerners are not close to 100% but only 70 to 80 something percent.

鲜卑 Xian Bei or Sibe was forcefully merged with the Hans by their non-Han emperor to cast away their old ways of life which is pastoral in nature like the Mongols or the 匈奴 Xiong Nu (proto-Hungarians ?).

Your 花木兰 or Mu Lan wasn't Han at all ! She's a Xian Bei !

Mulan-Wallpaper-disney-6628330-1024-768.jpg

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hock Chew

800px-Tang_map.JPG

Do they teach these type of tonal stuff like what they teach in hanyu pinyin?

My IC was printed as Hock Chew. But, I do speak Hock Chia too. Not much difference, just the tonal change for some words. Frankly speaking, I have yet to see Shanghainese one too.

Shanghainese was classified as a type of 楚语 Chu language (that's where your rice dumpings "bah chang" came from) which it differs itself from the real Chu language like Mao Tze Dong's - 湖南 Hunanese. We, Foochowese called it 蛮话 Man language. So, 野蛮人 Ye Man people means uncouth or unreasonable people. We, true Hua Xia people looked down on these southern barbarians like Mao Tze Dong.

My language ? Even I need to seriously consider to take up a crash course for Foochowese. Enjoy this one as it clearly reflect my language well enough. Sounds like Shanghainese, Teochew, Hokkien, Cantonese, Mandarin all mixed into one ! I like this song. Note this word 厝 Choo in Hokkien and Cuo in Mandarin and Foochowese. You see this in Singapore like Lim Chu Kang, Chua Chu Kang and Yeo Chu Kang.

[video=youtube;k5Hfd7RNJ6U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Hfd7RNJ6U&feature=related[/video]

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Hock Chew

Don't need to argue. Teochew is best. Most handsome men and most pretty women. :biggrin:

As for Han people, that refers to people in the central plain between Yellow and Yangtze Rivers at the time of Qin and Han Dynasties. Hokkien, Teochew and Canton are in Jiang Nan, i.e. south of Yangtze, properly and permanently integrated into the Chinese Empire only by the time of Tang Dynasty. That's why they call themselves Tang people, which by integration makes them Han people too. During the weakest moments of Qing Dynasty, most imperial efforts and resources were banked on saving the north and central, the south became the most prone to suffering and exodus. That's why most oversea Chinese are southerners.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Hock Chew

don't need to argue. teochew is best. Most handsome men and most pretty women. :d

as for han people, that refers to people in the central plain between yellow and yangtze rivers at the time of qin and han dynasties. Hokkien, teochew and canton are in jiang nan, i.e. South of yangtze, properly and permanently integrated into the chinese empire only by the time of tang dynasty. That's why they call themselves tang people, which by integration makes them han people too. During the weakest moments of qing dynasty, most imperial efforts and resources were banked on saving the north and central, the south became the most prone to suffering and exodus. That's why most oversea chinese are southerners.

hell yeah!!!!!