• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What makes Aussies happy

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
According to the regular Australian Unity survey,these make us happy.

LIVING IN THE COUNTRY
Living in country town of less than 40,000 people but not in remote areas
The "rural advantage" happiness

GETTING OLDER
Age 75 and over are happiest

EARNING ENOUGH MONEY
Household income of $60-90,000 a year& in a relationship (eg married)

VOLUNTEERING

OWN / IN PROCESS OF OWNING A HOME
Own a house outright is happiest, having a mortgage happier than renting (regardless of income level)

MODERATE DRINKER
Up to 3 drink a day.

GOOD ATTITUDE

HAVING A JOB
a sense of purpose & achievement.
Women working less than 40hours a week are happiest.

http://asp-uk.secure-zone.net/v2/index.jsp?id=685/747/1478&lng=en

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A doctor told me about the high suicide rates of doctors in Australia.
Part of the reason is the drive to earn more money to maintain a costly lifestyle. Marriage breakdown are common and some doctors do not even know what thier kids are up to.

Yes, there should be a point when we stop giving ourselves pressure to keep up with the Jones, and live for ourselves.

But money do buy happiness to some extent.
For those earning $15,000, an additional $6000 will "buy" an extra Wellness Index point.
However, those earning $151,000 to $250,000 will need $156,000 to "buy" another point.

HIGH WAGE & HAPPINESS
High wage does not buy happiness. Western Australia & NSW have the highest average income but the lowest level of happiness.

Happiest State
1 TAS
2 SA
3 VIC
4 ACT
5 QLD
6 NT
7 NSW
8 WA
Least Happy State

Surprising findings...
- Having children decrease happiness.
- Have a pet does not add to happiness.

ABOUT PERTH
Perth has the lowest happiness index among the states for many years now.
low community cohesion
low community safety
remoteless/isolation
too many new arrivals- a lot more strangers in town
a lot more dislocated people & sojourners
high housing cost
expensive place to live

MELBOURNE & BRISBANE
Among the capital cities, Melb & Brissy have highest wellbeing points.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gross Happiness Index
100%

Holland 91%
Finland 86%
Norway 84%
CANADA 78%
NZ & SWISS 77%
Belgium 76%
AUSTRALIA 75%

USA 70%
UK 68%
OECD countries average 59%

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore leh ?

That $150K needing another $150K to be happier makes sense. I have a friend that earns more then $150K and says he needed $300K in order to "survive" and feel like middle class.

Gross Happiness Index
100%

Holland 91%
Finland 86%
Norway 84%
CANADA 78%
NZ & SWISS 77%
Belgium 76%
AUSTRALIA 75%

USA 70%
UK 68%
OECD countries average 59%

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore leh ?

That $150K needing another $150K to be happier makes sense. I have a friend that earns more then $150K and says he needed $300K in order to "survive" and feel like middle class.

Is that essential?

The people around me are still aiming for 7 investment properties as a minimum.
Times have changed, days of easy credit are over.
People are talking about a double-dip recession, but I suggested that we have not left the last global recession. Now, it is coming true.

I think I will remain here, take a paycut for a 4-day work week, rather than venturing on some overseas job assignment in some under developed parts of the world. The money is good but it is "REAL bloody hardship allowance" best left to the Whites.

About the Secretly Broke in Australia article and picked up by 60 minutes. http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2011/08/secretly-broke-in-australia.html

This sort of thing has been circulating since the property bust in the UK and the USA. I am not sure if it is scare-mongering but I am seeing more defaults and bankruptcy in the mortgage belt. I called that Kevin Rudd's First Home Owners Nightmare stimulus. I witness how a 24yo couple bought during the irrational closing days of the stimulus at record prices and sold at a loss ($50k?) because the guy want to complete univ. But the parents help out.

Aussies do not seem to realise that the debt they put into property is a lot higher than in UK or the USA before GFC.
I expect a soft landing for property prices, which will take a decade to return to normal.
Banks are lending less than 70% of prices. That basically tell you the direction of prices in the future.
But real estate newspapers are talking big about price recovery and the coming boom. Dream on.
Unlike Europe/USA, wages in Australia are rising, and banks are dropping rates, so mortgage holders are safe for the time being.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is that essential?

The people around me are still aiming for 7 investment properties as a minimum.
Times have changed, days of easy credit are over.
People are talking about a double-dip recession, but I suggested that we have not left the last global recession. Now, it is coming true.

I think I will remain here, take a paycut for a 4-day work week, rather than venturing on some overseas job assignment in some under developed parts of the world. The money is good but it is "REAL bloody hardship allowance" best left to the Whites.

Probably not, even my wife told me she felt they are pretty greedy in wanting another property now. I suspect their complains of not earning is just not being realistic enough on their part. So you staying put in Perth now?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Probably not, even my wife told me she felt they are pretty greedy in wanting another property now. I suspect their complains of not earning is just not being realistic enough on their part. So you staying put in Perth now?

Stay put in Perth and work at the same boring jobc is an alternative. I think I will take every Friday off for the next year. Anyway, my fiancee just found a part-time job - the type she love to do, which pay even more than her past full-time job in Japan - get free tickets to concerts and gigs too.

Another prima donna colleague was caught on that left-wing ABC TV telling fellow Aussies that WE ARE A VERY RICH COUNTRY AND WE HAVE NO PROBLEM PAYING THE CARBON TAX. She is a Green-Left!

And Kiwi friend asked, how did the hypocrite Greens manage to kill all those trees just to print a few million booklets on Supporting the Carbon Tax.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yesterday evening, my fiancee opened the sliding door leading from my guest living room to the front courtyard, and I was greeted by sweet smelling scent of flowers coming in from my garden with the mild winter breeze.

This is completed with enjoying tea. Hand-picked Japanese premium Gyokuro tea I bought in Japan, served in Tokoname teaware.

This is the type of simple pleasure that entice me to move here.

In the past in Singapore, I always see Europeans enjoying themselves while the local Singapore worked hard. Even going on tours with SA or Chan Bros are like hectic evacuations exercises. It is the same with Japanese tours - very hectic schedule with the race to see everything in the shortest time.

The smartest decisions are made when we filter out the noise, whether is it from the trolls or neddy.

Last edited:

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yesterday evening, my fiancee opened the sliding door leading from my guest living room to the front courtyard, and I was greeted by sweet smelling scent of flowers coming in from my garden with the mild winter breeze.

This is completed with enjoying tea. Hand-picked Japanese premium Gyokuro tea I bought in Japan, served in Tokoname teaware.

This is the type of simple pleasure that entice me to move here.

In the past in Singapore, I always see Europeans enjoying themselves while the local Singapore worked hard. Even going on tours with SA or Chan Bros are like hectic evacuations exercises. It is the same with Japanese tours - very hectic schedule with the race to see everything in the shortest time.

The smartest decisions are made when we filter out the noise, whether is it from the trolls or neddy.

Neddy, your description of aussie life sort of gels what I experienced in my brief visits there, as well as seeing my friends and relatives there. I, however, am aware that it's not all a bed of sweet smelling flowers!

I hope (if and when I get my migrant visa) I get to try it out for myself.

I have been looking at home prices in melbourne suburbs. The prices do go down the further from town - but how inconvenient is it for work if, say, one's home is about 45mins to 1 hour drive from melbourne city?
I ask because right now it takes me 1/2hr - 45 mins to drive to work in SIngapore everyday - and worse if major traffic jam at peak periods; so driving for an additional 15mins in Melbourne traffic does not sound that bad. Is it?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Neddy, your description of aussie life sort of gels what I experienced in my brief visits there, as well as seeing my friends and relatives there. I, however, am aware that it's not all a bed of sweet smelling flowers!

I hope (if and when I get my migrant visa) I get to try it out for myself.

I have been looking at home prices in melbourne suburbs. The prices do go down the further from town - but how inconvenient is it for work if, say, one's home is about 45mins to 1 hour drive from melbourne city?
I ask because right now it takes me 1/2hr - 45 mins to drive to work in SIngapore everyday - and worse if major traffic jam at peak periods; so driving for an additional 15mins in Melbourne traffic does not sound that bad. Is it?

It is about making choices and sacrifices. That is why i am in Perth and not Melbourne.
I want to enjoy the crisp cool fresh air, nature, smell the flowers and listen to the birds.
I am living just 5km from the CBD. The city is not as interesting or vibrant as Melbourne.
I still get good food and I order stuff online because the shopping here is not as interesting.

This place is like a refuge for my old bones. But after a while, I miss a bit of challenge and forget why I chose this place. 活在福中不之福 Of course it will be nice if I have higher job satisfaction, but I want the money.

But I do have a lot of time to do things which I lack in Singapore. And crowded Singapore is very convenient but it is set in a tropical climate and the musty and lingering food smell seem to stay in the air longer. It just spoil my mood by the constant noise.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the topic of driving, Sydneysiders are friendlier when it comes to driving. Usually when you indicate they would let you through. They would also wave their hands as a gesture of thank you if you let them merge into your lane. You do get the occasional road bullies that refuses to do that and the idiots that hog the right lane and change lanes without looking. Overall, I felt driving in Sydney is definitely more "relaxing" then in Singapore. I live about 25km from my work place. Depending on traffic, its usually 45min-1hr during peak and around 30min off peak. Its not just the traffic that is relaxing, but the scenery along the way, on my way to work, I pass nice S-curve, goes over a bridge with small boats on the sides and nice straights that I do 120km/hr when the traffic permits. I also go pass the Olympic stadium everyday. I think the environment here makes it a happier place to stay compared to Singapore even with traffic. Plus, I have a nice mini cooper S to enjoy the ride in. Last I checked that is like $170K in Singapore.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the topic of driving, Sydneysiders are friendlier when it comes to driving. Usually when you indicate they would let you through. They would also wave their hands as a gesture of thank you if you let them merge into your lane. You do get the occasional road bullies that refuses to do that and the idiots that hog the right lane and change lanes without looking. Overall, I felt driving in Sydney is definitely more "relaxing" then in Singapore. I live about 25km from my work place. Depending on traffic, its usually 45min-1hr during peak and around 30min off peak. Its not just the traffic that is relaxing, but the scenery along the way, on my way to work, I pass nice S-curve, goes over a bridge with small boats on the sides and nice straights that I do 120km/hr when the traffic permits. I also go pass the Olympic stadium everyday. I think the environment here makes it a happier place to stay compared to Singapore even with traffic. Plus, I have a nice mini cooper S to enjoy the ride in. Last I checked that is like $170K in Singapore.

Perth drivers are generally OK, they do give way, but if you see a recent migrant from Africa or Asia or some Gen Y drivers, forget it.

You get all sorts of drivers here because it is a car city, and they go auto-pilot (esp women who multitask) which leads to problem with lane merger. Give way to pedestrians and parallel-parked car drivers opening the doors. :biggrin:

Just have to be aware of driving conditions. Relax. The road planners here do not make sense when designing roads. :biggrin:

These new properties used to be part of a large block, about 6km from CBD.
The owner sold to developer who sub-divide the block to 3 lots. A, B & C. As you can see, the prices are down.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-villa-wa-joondanna-107613619
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-villa-wa-joondanna-107613629
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-villa-wa-joondanna-107613628

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
According to the regular Australian Unity survey,these make us happy.

I work 37hrs a week, above avg salary and married.. Happy ? not yet..

I'll be happy if I am able to reduce my mountains of debt - paying off my primary hse within 5 yrs.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I work 37hrs a week, above avg salary and married.. Happy ? not yet..

I'll be happy if I am able to reduce my mountains of debt - paying off my primary hse within 5 yrs.

These days, either the home loan interest hit you or the inflation hit you.

Now that I am staying put in this quarry State and I have sold my car, I am getting a replacement car rather than investing my money. The new BMW I am looking at is more fuel efficient than my previous Merc and comes with free scheduled car servicing for next 3 years. Why not?

One thing about democractic lazy countries like Australia is that the people are very free and like to make a lot of noise.
Sometime, we just have to stop ourselves getting too involved at the petty things that the news headline screams. Only political tragics are taken in by the news.
Without these sensational news, there will be no audience and no audience means no revenues for the TV stations and newspapers.

Wendy Deng-Murdoch would not have married that old Singapore-praising mass media dick and have gone for the next billionnaire.

Last edited:

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal

ash,

having lived in both VIC & NSW, i would say motorist in VIC is even more friendly & relaxed. Here in Sydney i still encounter pricks on the road, but i hardly encounter any in Melbourne. Of course compared to SG, it's still much better.

170K for a mini cooper S in SG, thats crazy. Just bought a pre-loved B200 for <25K for my wife. For that amount, you can't even buy toilet paper(COE) in SG.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
These days, either the home loan interest hit you or the inflation hit you.

Now that I am staying put in this quarry State and I have sold my car, I am getting a replacement car rather than investing my money. The new BMW I am looking at is more fuel efficient than my previous Merc and comes with free scheduled car servicing for next 3 years. Why not?

Bro, I am scouting this model too.. BMW 320d.. fuel is excellent ! Fuel Economy (Combined) 5.3L / 100km

I am still considering it with my prudent spending. Hmmm..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is important to EAT WELL and STAY HEALTHY AND LIVE HAPPY.
We guys usually forget about this, but not the lady of the house.

Strawberries are now in season. I get 1Kg for $7.95 at the local greengrocer in Mt Lawley. (In-season Produce) or you can pick your own strawberries from the farms.

How to make Strawberry Jam without using preservatives.

38410.jpg

This is easy to make. Great to involve the kids. The jam is soft, spreadable and delicious.

Ingredients
40 servings

• 1Kg fresh strawberries, hulled
  • 4 cups caster sugar
  • 4 tablespoons lemon juice

Preparation method Prep: 20 mins |Cook: 20 mins

1. In a heavy based saucepan crush the strawberries with a potato masher.

2. Add sugar and lemon juice. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 105 C. (or until fruit is mostly dissolved and jam coats the back of a spoon)

3. Transfer to hot sterile jars, leaving 1cm headspace, and seal. Process any unsealed jars in a water bath. If the jam is going to be eaten right away, don't bother with processing, and just refrigerate.

Hulled strawberry
hullstrawberries5.jpg

Last edited:

Don Muthuswamy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hate this cheapskates car. Letting it rot in my huge garage. Sometimes will ask Ahmad go take it out for a spin

Enuff fear mongering & negative stuffs boy. Now b a gd boy & sppt ur presidential erections & ensure ur TT gets selected so ur masters will be pleased. :biggrin:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
A doctor told me about the high suicide rates of doctors in Australia.
Part of the reason is the drive to earn more money to maintain a costly lifestyle. Marriage breakdown are common and some doctors do not even know what thier kids are up to.

Yes, there should be a point when we stop giving ourselves pressure to keep up with the Jones, and live for ourselves.

But money do buy happiness to some extent.
For those earning $15,000, an additional $6000 will "buy" an extra Wellness Index point.
However, those earning $151,000 to $250,000 will need $156,000 to "buy" another point.

HIGH WAGE & HAPPINESS
High wage does not buy happiness. Western Australia & NSW have the highest average income but the lowest level of happiness.

Happiest State
1 TAS
2 SA
3 VIC
4 ACT
5 QLD
6 NT
7 NSW
8 WA
Least Happy State

Surprising findings...
- Having children decrease happiness.
- Have a pet does not add to happiness.

ABOUT PERTH
Perth has the lowest happiness index among the states for many years now.
low community cohesion
low community safety
remoteless/isolation
too many new arrivals- a lot more strangers in town
a lot more dislocated people & sojourners
high housing cost
expensive place to live

MELBOURNE & BRISBANE
Among the capital cities, Melb & Brissy have highest wellbeing points.

WA is all mining but nothing else - not surprising WA residents are not happy.

NSW is the biggest city , like all major cities in the world - congested, stressful, expensive housing, more competition , people tend to be more aggressive.