• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What Is Singapore Culture? (Serious discussion, no TCSS please)

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The event which united all Singaporeans involved a cup belonging to another country.

It's commonsense and common phenomena to any country. Any common foreign adversary unites a country. When there's none, the country gets bored and start infighting.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Is there anyone here in this thread or even in this forum who calls himself an FT or a Singapore Citizen not born in Singapore? If there is none who will come forward to declare that he is an FT or that he was born on foreign soil and his parents are not Singaporeans, then I rest my case.

I wasn't born in Singapore. Neither of my parents were born in Singapore.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
If many are struggling to define Singapore culture, don't worry about it. You're not alone.

I've had exactly the same discussions with the Kiwis who echo exactly the same sentiments as the sinkies... that they welcome immigrants provided they adopt Kiwi culture.

My retort is.. "what is Kiwi culture?"... "the Hakka and sticking your tongue out in a rude manner?". "No that's Maori culture." is the response.

"So you want the immigrants to drink lots of beer and puke and pee into the gutters every weekend?... or drive around screeching like morons and throwing beer bottles out of car windows?....or slur at each other at the barbie before keeling over and making a fool of yourself?

"Or is it sufficient just to drive a Holden instead of Merc or Beemer?". [Holdens aren't kiwi BTW they're OZ built].

At the end of the debate, there is still no defining trait that everyone can agree on. Some may say "love of Rugby" but only a minority of Kiwis are interested in the game in the first place and many prefer league which is an OZ thing.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore culture? Well I guess the diverse varieties of food from different foods from the region. The abilities of having different races living in close promixity to each others. Singlish is also part of the culture as it allow communication unique to us where a newcomer will have no idea of comprehending.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
If you are not born here and neither are your parents, then what makes you a Singaporean?

The only thing that made me a Singaporean was a piece of paper saying that I was a Singapore citizen.

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only thing that made me a Singaporean was a piece of paper saying that I was a Singapore citizen.

Most probably you never experience the normal Singaporean life, eat the same food, practice same festive occasions etc. There are many foreign-born people whose parents are also foreigners who stays here but often go back to their home country, like Yacoob Ibrahim's kids.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Most probably you never experience the normal Singaporean life, eat the same food, practice same festive occasions etc. There are many foreign-born people whose parents are also foreigners who stays here but often go back to their home country, like Yacoob Ibrahim's kids.

Both my parents were Singaporeans. I arrived when I was 15 months old. I got my pink IC when I was still in school. Did my NS... did 13 year reservist cycle. Lived in Singapore for more than 30 years.

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both my parents were Singaporeans. I arrived when I was 15 months old. I got my pink IC when I was still in school. Did my NS... did 13 year reservist cycle. Lived in Singapore for more than 30 years.

Don't consider you as being a proper Singaporean especially with parents not born here. You are not even considered a 1st generation much less a 2nd generation Singaporean. If your parents are not Chinese but German or Middle-Eastern even worse as you guys are not one of the 3 major races in Singapore. I have Arab neighbours and classmates born in Singapore and they assimilate the Malay way of life. I would consider them as Singaporeans.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Don't consider you as being a proper Singaporean especially with parents not born here.

Ok so I'm not a "proper" Singaporean. I'm shattered. My whole self worth was built around being one.

akunei

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Singapore culture means a common thing that many Singaporeans do at the same time, maybe its the NDP loh. All wear red and white waving the flag and singing "count on me singapore". But it would not be a very "hot" event if there is no goody bag.

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have Arab neighbours and classmates born in Singapore and they assimilate the Malay way of life. I would consider them as Singaporeans.

if you ask malays, they might not think that the arabs are assimilated. arabs tend to keep themselves and aloof.

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a good question which perhaps can tilt this argument that there is good evidence there is a Singapore Identity that binds us all.

Is there anyone here in this thread or even in this forum who calls himself an FT or a Singapore Citizen not born in Singapore? If there is none who will come forward to declare that he is an FT or that he was born on foreign soil and his parents are not Singaporeans, then I rest my case.

Apart from Sam Leong(who is not considered a true Singaporean) I am still waiting for someone to declare himself.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you ask malays, they might not think that the arabs are assimilated. arabs tend to keep themselves and aloof.

True. Even among Muslim, racism still prevail. Malays think Arabs are arrogant while Arabs view Malay as low class. But Arab generally more loaded than Malays. My secondary classmate stay in a mansion near fort road. From main gate to the house is a long 30m driveway.

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal

True. Even among Muslim, racism still prevail. Malays think Arabs are arrogant while Arabs view Malay as low class. But Arab generally more loaded than Malays. My secondary classmate stay in a mansion near fort road. From main gate to the house is a long 30m driveway.

That is neither here nor there and quite irrelevant. There are the elites and non-elites like LHL but I still consider LHL as being a Singaporean.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

wow serious? I thought after speakign their language and having the same religion and that's not assimilated enough. I suppose they need to relak one corner and tidak apa before being considered a real malay.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kind of sad they cannot hold the arabs hostage to racism cos only the chinese can be held to that.