• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wao Bao 2011 Hungry Ghost Stories Thread

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fiona Xie: most likely celeb to meet ghosts
Lianhe Wanbao - 5 hrs 23 mins ago
<fb:like href="http://news.insing.com/tabloid/fiona-xie-most-likely-celeb-to-meet-ghosts/id-4e013d00" width="100" show_faces="false" action="recommend" class=" fb_edge_widget_with_comment fb_iframe_widget" style="position: relative; display: inline-block; "><iframe id="f10adc4598" name="f31697b568" scrolling="no" title="Like this content on Facebook." class="fb_ltr" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?action=recommend&api_key=107628435959276&channel_url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fconnect%2Fxd_proxy.php%3Fversion%3D3%23cb%3Df35710a7e4%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fnews.insing.com%252Ff28a0680d%26relation%3Dparent.parent%26transport%3Dpostmessage&href=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.insing.com%2Ftabloid%2Ffiona-xie-most-likely-celeb-to-meet-ghosts%2Fid-4e013d00&layout=standard&locale=en_US&node_type=link&sdk=joey&show_faces=false&width=225" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; vertical-align: text-bottom; position: relative; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; height: 42px; width: 225px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; "></iframe></fb:like>
pc_600x450.jpg
<cite style="display: block; font-style: normal; font-size: 10px; margin-top: 4px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 4px; margin-left: 0px; ">Fiona Xie is most likely to meet ghosts. (Pic / Internet)</cite>
Luck and Fengshui are very important in the entertainment industry.
Before each movie or drama commences filming, actors and the crew would make offerings and pray for good luck. This is due to the belief that ghosts love entertainment and often hang around to watch during film shoots.
This may be why actors often cite ghostly encounters during shoots, especially when filming ghost movies!
A well-known Fengshui master, Chen Jun Rong, has done some calculations on the luck of our local stars based on their Eight Characters - derived from one's time of birth. The calculations show which actresses are most likely to encounter ghosts during the coming Seventh Month.
According to Master Chen, Zoe Tay and Fann Wong are the "hardiest" and most impervious to bad luck.
Those who might meet bad luck and encounter spirits are:
Number 1 – Fiona Xie, with a 65% chance.
2. Joanne Peh, 60%
3. Felicia Chin, 60%
4. Stefanie Sun, 55%
5. Cynthia Koh, 35%
6. Zoe Tay, 30%
7. Fann Wong, 30%
The Chinese believe that it is extremely unlucky to encounter ghosts. The bad luck from spirits may continue to plague a person for a long long time, especially if it is malicious and decides to follow the unfortunate victim.
Source: Lianhe Wanbao, 25 July 2011.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Celebrating the Hungry Ghost Festival
inSing.com Editor
InSing.com - 8 hrs 20 mins ago

pc_600x450.jpg

The month-long festival is most often celebrated in Singapore with grand temple rituals, bawdy “getai” and raucous community auctions.

Temple rituals during the ghost month are grand affairs involving many devotees burning the motherlode of offerings. It’s like a windfall for wandering spirits, with so much food, paper clothing, paper houses, paper cars, and spiffy gear like paper iPhones and iPads. Hey if you can’t afford an iPad now, you’re sure to get one when you’re dead.

Next is some entertainment for the bored spirits to pass the month-long “vacation” – the getai.

The getai is a uniquely Singaporean feature, found only during the ghost month. Getai is essentially a song and dance performance put up as entertainment for wandering spirits. This is why the first row of seats at getai is always left empty. They are reserved for spirits, not you.

Those who can see spirits often say that they can see translucent “people” sitting on the front row seats and standing among the crowd.

Getai are usually held in the heartlands and feature gawdy costumes and bawdy Hokkien songs. Not exactly Stefanie Sun or American’s Top 40s.

Next comes the raucous auctions. A common sight a decade or two ago, such auctions seem to have lessen in recent years. Basically, communities get together for a dinner (think wedding dinner but less lavish), and items are put out for bidding.

These items are usually auspicious, like a dressed-up lump of charcoal, a gaudy plastic pineapple (you can’t eat it but at least it won’t spoil), a brand new altar for the best worshipping experience possible, and a nice big “Always Full” rice container. The rice container isn’t actually “always full”, but you get a label on it that urges you to make sure it is.

These items may seem odd, but people will pay anything to buy luck, including hundreds of dollars for a lump of charcoal. On the plus side, the money usually goes to charity and helping the poor. Everyone who attends also gets a “fun pack” consisting of rice and canned food, topped with a small flag for occasion. Did I mention the fun pack comes in a red plastic pail? Useful!

Celebrating the Hungry Ghost Festival

The month-long festival is most often celebrated in Singapore with grand temple rituals, bawdy “getai” and raucous community auctions.

Temple rituals during the ghost month are grand affairs involving many devotees burning the motherlode of offerings. It’s like a windfall for wandering spirits, with so much food, paper clothing, paper houses, paper cars, and spiffy gear like paper iPhones and iPads. Hey if you can’t afford an iPad now, you’re sure to get one when you’re dead.

Next is some entertainment for the bored spirits to pass the month-long “vacation” – the getai.

The getai is a uniquely Singaporean feature, found only during the ghost month. Getai is essentially a song and dance performance put up as entertainment for wandering spirits. This is why the first row of seats at getai is always left empty. They are reserved for spirits, not you.

Those who can see spirits often say that they can see translucent “people” sitting on the front row seats and standing among the crowd.

Getai are usually held in the heartlands and feature gawdy costumes and bawdy Hokkien songs. Not exactly Stefanie Sun or American’s Top 40s.

Next comes the raucous auctions. A common sight a decade or two ago, such auctions seem to have lessen in recent years. Basically, communities get together for a dinner (think wedding dinner but less lavish), and items are put out for bidding.

These items are usually auspicious, like a dressed-up lump of charcoal, a gaudy plastic pineapple (you can’t eat it but at least it won’t spoil), a brand new altar for the best worshipping experience possible, and a nice big “Always Full” rice container. The rice container isn’t actually “always full”, but you get a label on it that urges you to make sure it is.

These items may seem odd, but people will pay anything to buy luck, including hundreds of dollars for a lump of charcoal. On the plus side, the money usually goes to charity and helping the poor. Everyone who attends also gets a “fun pack” consisting of rice and canned food, topped with a small flag for occasion. Did I mention the fun pack comes in a red plastic pail? Useful!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Midnight visitor at Sentosa chalet
inSing.com Editor
InSing.com - 8 hrs 8 mins ago

pc_600x450.jpg

One weekend in August a couple of years ago, my friends and I decided to steer clear of our usual weekend nights of clubbing and decided to rough it out in Sentosa for a change. So we rented a hut at a resort on the island for the weekend. There we were, playing volleyball on the beach, swimming, chicken wings on the BBQ and lots of drinking games to keep everyone entertained.
As the day (or night) went on, fatigue started setting in (about 3am) and we decided to call it a night. The guys all shared a hut and when Elrik and I went in, Kain was already snoozing in the upper bunk. I choped the bottom bunk while Elrik settled for the mattress on the floor.
A couple of hours later, I heard Elrik shouting, "Oi! What are you doing up so late? Go back to sleep!" I half opened my eyes and saw that Elrik was pointing up towards the door...but there was no one there.
While sleeping, I felt a hand brushed against my thigh. I assumed it was Elrik tossing and turning. I looked at his direction but he was quite a distance from the bunk. As I turned to face the wall, I saw a figure with an eerie glow standing by the door. I thought that it was Kain answering a call on his phone and I went back to sleep.
The next morning, Elrik asked Kain what was he doing up so late. Kain denied waking up and told us that he was dead asleep. I then asked him if he was using his phone by the door and again, he denied being up.
We exchanged nervous looks, then quickly packed up and left. We haven't gone back to the resort hut ever since.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[/QUOTE]
<fb:like href="http://news.insing.com/tabloid/fiona-xie-most-likely-celeb-to-meet-ghosts/id-4e013d00" width="100" show_faces="false" action="recommend" class=" fb_edge_widget_with_comment fb_iframe_widget" style="position: relative; display: inline-block; "><iframe id="f10adc4598" name="f31697b568" scrolling="no" title="Like this content on Facebook." class="fb_ltr" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?action=recommend&api_key=107628435959276&channel_url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fconnect%2Fxd_proxy.php%3Fversion%3D3%23cb%3Df35710a7e4%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fnews.insing.com%252Ff28a0680d%26relation%3Dparent.parent%26transport%3Dpostmessage&href=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.insing.com%2Ftabloid%2Ffiona-xie-most-likely-celeb-to-meet-ghosts%2Fid-4e013d00&layout=standard&locale=en_US&node_type=link&sdk=joey&show_faces=false&width=225" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; vertical-align: text-bottom; position: relative; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; height: 42px; width: 225px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; "></iframe></fb:like>
pc_600x450.jpg
<cite style="display: block; font-style: normal; font-size: 10px; margin-top: 4px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 4px; margin-left: 0px; ">Fiona Xie is most likely to meet ghosts. (Pic / Internet)</cite

Can't blame all those horny ghosts if they gets a hard on when looking at Fiona Xie..

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
pc_600x450.jpg
<cite style="display: block; font-style: normal; font-size: 10px; margin-top: 4px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 4px; margin-left: 0px; ">Fiona Xie is most likely to meet ghosts. (Pic / Internet)</cite>
Luck and Fengshui are very important in the entertainment industry.
Before each movie or drama commences filming, actors and the crew would make offerings and pray for good luck. This is due to the belief that ghosts love entertainment and often hang around to watch during film shoots.
This may be why actors often cite ghostly encounters during shoots, especially when filming ghost movies!
A well-known Fengshui master, Chen Jun Rong, has done some calculations on the luck of our local stars based on their Eight Characters - derived from one's time of birth. The calculations show which actresses are most likely to encounter ghosts during the coming Seventh Month.
According to Master Chen, Zoe Tay and Fann Wong are the "hardiest" and most impervious to bad luck.
Those who might meet bad luck and encounter spirits are:
2. Joanne Peh, 60%
3. Felicia Chin, 60%
4. Stefanie Sun, 55%
5. Cynthia Koh, 35%
6. Zoe Tay, 30%
7. Fann Wong, 30%
The Chinese believe that it is extremely unlucky to encounter ghosts. The bad luck from spirits may continue to plague a person for a long long time, especially if it is malicious and decides to follow the unfortunate victim.
Source: Lianhe Wanbao, 25 July 2011.

stupid master want to con ppl ...his calculations are based on the actress popularity on tv !!!

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
stupid master want to con ppl ...his calculations are based on the actress popularity on tv !!!

Walau ! The ser guai is himself lor , his prediction is merely his own order of likings. He want to bonk Fiona Xie the most and Zoe Tay the least, which make complete sense :biggrin:

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
All those staying near reservior of Sinkapore must brave recent dead coming back... Have they found the other half of the Chinese body in Bedok reservoir?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Popular media company is haunted
inSing.com Editor
inSing.com - 24 mins ago

pc_600x450.jpg
<cite style="display: block; font-style: normal; font-size: 10px; margin-top: 4px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 4px; margin-left: 0px; ">A popular media company in Singapore is reportedly haunted. (Pic / For illustration purposes only)</cite>
An inSing editor recalls how a previous workplace – a well-known media company in Singapore - was reportedly "haunted".
Employees would stay late frequently to meet deadlines.
Soon, each one had their own story to tell about something "unclean" lurking in the office.
One colleague said she was alone in the office once when she heard a little girl crying.
Another said she saw a little girl running past, when there were obviously no children in the office at such unearthly hours.
One saw the lights flickering and had a sense of unease – she could not see anything, but felt its "presence" somewhere around her.
Employees who worked for a longer time in the company said that the area where the staff encountered the "little girl" was somewhat "unclean", but they did not know why.
But somehow, those seated in that particular area seemed to always fall sick and were down on their luck.
However, there is a humourous twist to this story.
One colleague recounted how once, he thought he was alone in the office when he heard a woman let loose a stream of Hokkien vulgarities.
It turned out to be another colleague who was releasing steam when someone else angered her at work.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
For Lau Zoe and Patricia Mok, just pray that u won't get to meet them during the 7th month! They look more scary than the real thing from the netherworld!

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For Lau Zoe and Patricia Mok, just pray that u won't get to meet them during the 7th month! They look more scary than the real thing from the netherworld!

aiyah...............Zoe Tay not so bad lah.....................

Abigail confirm can scare the devil himself

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

aiyah...............Zoe Tay not so bad lah.....................

Abigail confirm can scare the devil himself

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
inSing reader sees ghosts
inSing.com Editor
InSing.com - 16 hrs 24 mins ago

pc_600x450.jpg

For the Seventh Month Ghost Stories Special, inSing has managed to contact a reader, Ms L, who has the ability to see ghosts.

We invited Ms L to share her experiences with other readers and conducted an email interview with her.
Below is Part 1 of our interview with Ms L.

Ms L, when did you find out you can see ghosts?

I only knew I could really see things when my parents told me of a few incidents where I've seen 'people' that they don't see. My "special powers" also prevented them from buying a house where an old lady died. I had seen that deceased old lady when we were viewing the house. Heng ah!
But I didn't know what I was doing at that time, and my parents only told me these incidents when I got older. I can't remember what age it was that I started to see ghosts.

Do you see your ability as a good thing or bad thing?

I guess it's a double edged sword. I'd rather know they're there than not know. But seeing ghosts actually scares me, especially when I'm alone.

The Chinese believe that only the very unlucky can see ghosts. Are you? What do you think might have caused your ability?

I don't think only the unlucky can see them. I am very lucky ok! Haha! Maybe it's something to do with the balance of Ying and Yang? I don't know! I wish I knew! I don't see them as and when I want to. They just appear out of nowhere... Literally!

Could you describe some of the "things" you've seen?

There are old ladies, young ones, little girls, a Caucasian lady and an old man. I saw a hooded spirit once but I couldn't make out its specifics. There was also someone's deceased parent whom I've never met before.

What is the scariest "thing" you've seen so far?

The hooded spirit I mentioned. It was just sitting there and rocking back and forth.
The other is the spirit that was staring at me in the middle of the night from the corner of my bed.

Could you elaborate further, on how and when you encountered the hooded spirit? How about the spirit at your bedside? That sounds really scary.

When I saw the hooded spirit, it was on the wall. Not sitting on any wall ledge, but ON the vertical wall itself. I heard a low groaning sound and looked up at the wall. There it was and I think its back was facing me. It was just rocking back and forth. It disappeared after a while.
As for the one at the corner of my bed... Sorry I don't want to elaborate on this one. This is one experience that still sends shivers down my spine.

Do you see only the usual translucent, blurry, floating spirits? Are there different types of them? Like in Malay folklore, there are the Pontianak or Oily Man. In Chinese folklore, there is the banana spirit.

No I haven't seen any of those. The ones I see are sometimes blur, sometimes VERY clear. So far I've only seen one float. The rest just stay on the spot. I don't really know if they are actually floating or if they walk on the ground like we do.
I'm lucky in that so far the ones I've seen are all peaceful ones. None of those gory ones like those in movies with blood oozing out or whatever.

Stay tuned for Part 2 of the interview with Ms L tomorrow!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]inSing reader sees ghosts: Part 2[/h]
inSing.com Editor
InSing.com

This is Part 2 of the interview with Ms L, an inSing reader with the ability to see ghosts. If you've missed Part 1 of the interview, see it here.
Returning to our interview, Ms L, have you ever tried to communicated with ghosts?
Never ever have and never ever will. I was once told that if I let them know I can see them, they'll start sticking to me seeking for help, and might turn nasty if I refuse to or can't help them.
Have you ever used your "ability" to scare people, or use it to your advantage?
No. I don't play with this "ability". It's being disrespectful and it might come back and bite me in my ass one day if I fool around with it.
Has anything happened to you since you started seeing these "things"?
No, other than shivering with fear.
How do you protect yourself against ghosts? Are religious artifacts or talismans effective to protect against ghosts?
I'm a free thinker, so I have no talismans whatsoever. I just believe that as long as I am respectful, I'll be fine. I guess if they start causing me harm then I'll do something about it. Or else I'm just leaving it as it is.
Have you seen ghosts in the offices you've worked at, the schools you studied at, or the places you've been? If there are, give me some examples?
Yep. If not seen, then I've felt or heard.

I used to work in an industrial area. There are two toilets on my office floor (my company is the only occupant of that floor). One of the toilets is often used, the other is... hardly used. Ladies only use the deserted one if the popular one is full or if they desperately need to go.
I always avoid the deserted toilet because it creeps me out. Whenever I go there to wash my spoon or cup, I'll leave the toilet door open, wash my utensils and run back to the office.
Once, I needed to relieve myself super urgently and the popular toilet was occupied, so I decided to man up and go to the deserted one. I was using it halfway when I heard an old lady's voice murmuring or whispering. It was coming from the right side of the ceiling. I don't know what language it was, and I know there's no one else around because the toilet is located in an isolated corner and like I said, no one goes there. It's not the toilet cleaner as well, because she only comes once a day in the morning.
I can tell you that's the fastest toilet session I've ever had. I never went back to that toilet.
That must have been quite a scary experience. So, what are your beliefs regarding the supernatural? Did your beliefs change after you found that you can see ghosts?
I've always believed ghosts exist, and I've always been respectful of the deceased.
With the Chinese Seventh Month coming up, we'll like to know - Are there really more spirits around during this so called Ghost Month?
I can't recall. I just know that the 7th month scares me a lot. I'll let you know again when the 7th month starts? But hopefully I won't have anything to tell you!!
Then do you think the myths and superstitions surrounding the Ghost Month are real?
I'm not sure of the myths and superstitions. Are you referring to things like don't go home too late, don't swim etc? If you're referring to those, nah, I don't believe in those.
How do you react to sceptics who don't believe in ghosts?
I always ask them "how do you know they don't exist?" Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. And if people don't believe me, it's fine with me. To each his own you know.
Finally, do you have any advice for people on how to deal with the supernatural?
Be respectful. Really. Some of the spirits are really just lost, lonely and harmless.
That concludes our email interview with Ms L. We hope you've found it interesting and insightful!
Do you have any questions on how it is like to see ghosts? Send them to us, and we might just forward them to Ms L for you. Send your questions to: [email protected]

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Top 10 places to encounter ghosts
Lianhe Wanbao - 6 hrs 51 mins ago

pc_600x450.jpg
<cite style="display: block; font-style: normal; font-size: 10px; margin-top: 4px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 4px; margin-left: 0px; ">Fengshui Master Chen Jun Rong talks about the top 10 places where people may encounter ghosts.</cite>
Local Fengshui master Chen Jun Rong is advising readers on what are the top ten places that you will most likely encounter ghosts.

If you don't wish for any supernatural encounters during this upcoming Ghost Month (which starts from tomorrow), inSing editors advise that you stay away from these places.

And here they are:

1. Empty houses – Houses left unoccupied for a long time lack an air of "liveliness" and positive energy. This may attract spirits of negative energy to inhabit the house.

2. Graveyards – Filled with the dead, these places are strong on negative energy, especially old cemeteries. Ancient spirits may also have the power to trick and manipulate humans.

3. Hospitals – Spirits may remain at the place where they died, which are often hospitals. This is especially so for those who fail to receive funeral rites.

4. Under old trees and in the forest – Weathered and ancient trees have absorbed the essence of the elements and may attract spirits easily. Wild forests are common places for spirits to dwell.

5. Public toilets in the wild – These places are filled with filth and negative energy so they easily attract spirits. Be sure to say "excuse me" when you have to use such a toilet.

6. River banks – Water spirits often dwell and hide by river banks, especially those with foliage and undergrowth. These spirits will try to drown others out of hate and try to get other souls to replace them.

7. At scenes of accidents – Deceased accident victims may remain at the scene. Those who are unlucky may encounter such spirits.

8. Shaded and dark places – Literally places where the sun don't shine. Without the warmth and positive energy from the sun, such places may accumulate negative energy and attract spirits.

9. At funeral rites – Spirits are often present at such rituals, although they are "controlled" to an extent by the presiding priests.

10. Old cinemas – Movie theatres are dark and cold places, and there is a belief that ghosts love entertainment. Cinemas thus sound like an ideal place for spirits to dwell. Do you know that cinema operators intentionally leave one or two front row seats empty at every show out of respect for spirits? It is believed that this still happens in all our modern cineplexes.

Source: Lianhe Wanbao, 30 July 2011.