• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Voter rolls mean by-election soon? George Yeo got chance anyone else PAP sure lose

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,4574,483629,00.html?

Published March 27, 2012

Voter rolls update - by-election soon?

By KELLY TAY

(SINGAPORE) Just eight months after the registers of electors were last updated in July, the Elections Department (ELD) yesterday said that the nation's voter rolls will be updated again on April 13 - which could set the stage for a by-election in Hougang expected by many to take place soon.

According to a notice published yesterday in the electronic version of the Government Gazette, Singaporeans who have changed the address on their national registration identity cards (NRICs) since July 11, 2011 - the cut-off date for the last exercise - will have their names removed and transferred to the appropriate registers, based on their NRIC addresses as on March 19 this year.

Before the changes are effected, the list of all affected voters who will be removed or transferred will be available for inspection over a two-week period, from March 27 to April 9, at the ELD office at 11 Prinsep Link.

Voters can also visit www.elections.gov.sg - the ELD's website - to check the list, or do so in person at a community centre or community club.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced in Parliament that he would call for a by-election in Hougang.

The single member constituency seat has been vacant since Feb 14, when the Workers' Party sacked former Member of Parliament (MP) Yaw Shin Leong, after it deemed that he had failed to address allegations of his extra-marital affairs.

Said CIMB's research head, Song Seng Wun: 'It's not wrong to assume that this means the Hougang by-election is coming, as this update is the first step towards that. The question, of course, is when?'

But Singapore Management University law professor and Nominated MP Eugene Tan told BT that while a coming by-election is certainly a possibility, he views the update more as a 'routine move'.

Said Mr Tan: 'I actually think the by-election is likely to be later rather than sooner - sometime in the last quarter of this year, perhaps.'

'A later by-election would not only mean that the PAP (People's Action Party) would be more prepared, but also that some of the policies which have been put in place to deal with hot-button issues would have time to work their way through the system. There could be some positive outcomes from this, which could translate into electoral dividends, and I think this is what the PAP is hoping for.'

One reading among political watchers is that Hougang may not be the only battleground as the ruling party seeks to continue its renewal process and bring in fresh blood.

Mr Tan added: 'It wouldn't surprise me if the PAP were to also use the fact that there would be a by-election in Hougang to perhaps have by-elections in other constituencies.'

He cited Ong Ye Kung as a potential new candidate the PAP is keen to bring in. Mr Ong, seen as a promising prospect for the PAP, stood and lost in Aljunied GRC during the last general election.

But Mr Song disagreed with such speculation, saying: 'I don't think it's really necessary for (the PAP) to get side-tracked with politicking at this point - there are more pressing issues to be addressed and dealt with.'

The High Court has set March 30 as the date to hear an application by Hougang resident Vellama Marie Muthu for PM Lee to call a by-election in Hougang within three months, or within a 'reasonable time' deemed by the court.

TwitSeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Voter rolls mean by-election soon? George Yeo got chance anyone else PAP sure lo

nothing surprising. voters in hougang smc and the political parties have been waiting for the by-elections already.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Voter rolls mean by-election soon? George Yeo got chance anyone else PAP sure lo

Update of voter roll. Good indicator of BE timing, as it is usually done once every 2 years outside election time. Did not think of that.

So my estimation of a GE2006 and GE2011 timing (Apr - May) may come to pass.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Update of voter roll. Good indicator of BE timing, as it is usually done once every 2 years outside election time. Did not think of that.

They have to update the rolls of voters moving out of and into Hougang since GE11. Fair enough.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How come they didn't ask gms for his expert opinion

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

He's busy preparing 5.1 million WP badges to tag and identify "WP members" because he imagines them to be everywhere walking along the streets of Singapore. He has his friend Sadist to help him.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal

No surprise at all. There was never any doubt in the first place that there is going to be a BE after Yaw dispeared.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perspective said:
He's busy preparing 5.1 million WP badges to tag and identify "WP members" because he imagines them to be everywhere walking along the streets of Singapore. He has his friend Sadist to help him.

He is busy selling backside to raise funds for the independent candidate.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tan Kin Lian will easily win the Hougang BE. He will get all the opposition votes while the PAP votes will be split between WP and PAP.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro, this one no need to do. Just check back in his blog and it will auto update with more of his new Karmic insights. Even though he may not personally advocate and approve of, this sort of thing is beyond his control, must get out of chest, else internal injury. :smile:

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I think they updated the voter rolls in 2010 and 2011, around the same time each year, if I remember correctly.

TwitSeng

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tan Kin Lian will easily win the Hougang BE. He will get all the opposition votes while the PAP votes will be split between WP and PAP.

i think he will lose his deposit