• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Video: Struggle of a 76-yr-old Singaporean Street Scavenger

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
YOu got 60 years as head start. YOu reap what you sow.
For the granny in the picture .

SEems like she danced her life away when she was young !

that's totally fucking untrue.

what's the average wage or income of an uneducated woman in postwar sg? their lack of education in the 50s and 60s wasn't their choosing. even if they got lucky and were educated, how much rate of return could their cumulative savings or retirement nest egg earn with their income levels back then? you have to be a super investor or a tycoon to make a sizable nest egg to withstand a financial storm in today's terms. when seniors in massive numbers have to get back to work to eek out a living, it's a systemic erosion of social wealth, and little to do with one's lifestyle and expenditure. when a country pulled itself out of poverty after the war by sheer frugality, hardwork and labor, the country should at least provide some basic level of dignity for these aging pioneers. without them, the million dollar earners of today on top of the pyramidal food chain would not have gotten the chance to succeed. they need to appreciate the pile of old bones they are standing on.

kingat33

Alfrescian
Loyal
After watching this heartwrenching video on the plight of the elderly in singapore and some of the senseless and insensitive reply by some forumners especially those that advocate the sole responsibilty of the elderly lies with the family members but not the govt speaks volume. This is an insane society that smacks of inhuman and selfish thoughts. I suddenly feel extremely bless to be an aussie and pride myself for emigrating years ago.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Now you are painting yourself into a corner. Just how many degrees of relations do you need to be responsible for?

We're not talking about legislation here. All I'm saying is that families should have a sense of responsibility to the point where they feel morally obliged to help each other in times of need.

The Malay community does an excellent job in this area. You'll be hard pressed to find old Malay folks scavenging in the streets. That's because their extended family will take care of them and ensure that all their basic needs are met.

The way the Chinese treat their elderly relatives is a real disgrace. :rolleyes:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I suddenly feel extremely bless to be an aussie and pride myself for emigrating years ago.

Arsestralia is one of the worst countries on earth if you're a hardworking honest taxpayer.

Thanks to the generous welfare system, many OZs don't have to do a scrap of work. They simply help themselves to money extorted by the govt from people who actually work for a living. In some cases, those on welfare find that they end up with more money in their pockets if they simply stay on the dole rather than do an honest days work????!!!!!

You may want Singapore to end up the same way. I sure as hell don't. I have great respect for the Singapore govt for not going down the welfare path. The dole does nothing but breed a culture of dependency on the state.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,24215668-2702,00.html

Dole cut call if Aborigines won't work

<!-- START Dummy ad code - real code to be inserted instead. --> <!-- END Dummy ad code - real code to be inserted instead. -->
<!-- // .ad -->
<!-- // #section-header-ads -->
<!-- END Story Header Block --> <!-- START primary content/left column --> <!-- Story Toolbar-->

<!-- // .article-tools --> <!-- End Story Toolbar--> Patricia Karvelas and Stuart Rintoul | August 21, 2008

<!-- // .module-subheader --> Article from: The Australian
WELFARE laws should be overhauled to force Aborigines to take jobs or face immediate cuts to their dole payments - even if it requires moving away from their homelands.

Labor powerbroker and indigenous leader Warren Mundine told The Australian yesterday the Rudd Government should introduce hardline welfare reforms that forced Aborigines to take work all over the country, with consequences for those who refused.

Commenting on the effect of the Government's plans to import workers from Pacific nations to fill seasonal vacancies, Mr Mundine said welfare reforms started with the quarantining of payments in the Northern Territory, but must now extend to the reform of the labour laws.
"How stupid does Australia look when we are flying people in from overseas to do these jobs?" he said. "How can we have an entire industry out there under threat because we can't get people to work here. "There's not enough encouragement in the system to get people off the dole and into these jobs.

"There has to be tougher rules, because indigenous people just aren't taking up the jobs ... If you're not prepared to put your hand up for a job, no matter where it is, we shouldn't have to continue paying the dole. The vast majority of indigenous people need to work and are ready to work."
Cape York indigenous leader Noel Pearson joined Mr Mundine yesterday in attacking the Government's proposal to import 2500 workers from Tonga, Vanuatu, Kiribati and Papua New Guinea to fill seasonal shortages.
He said it would be a "tragedy" if unemployed Aboriginal people were overlooked in favour of imported Pacific islanders under the new guest-worker scheme.

"It would be a tragedy if it had to be farmed out to other nations," he said.
The Government hopes its three-year trial of bringing in 2500 Pacific islanders could be rapidly increased to 25,000. But the Australian Horticulture industry is adamant it would take local workers, including indigenous people, if it could get them, and industry representatives insisted repeated attempts to hire unemployed Aborigines had failed.
Mr Pearson said a failed fruit-picking initiative he promoted three years ago, under which Cape York youths were shipped into fruit-growing areas, was "tremendously successful", even though few of the Cape York workers remained employed.

Asked whether the Government's Pacific jobs solution was a threat to indigenous employment, he said: "I think it is, because at a time when entry-level work is shrinking, these are areas where our people can show they can enter."

Mr Pearson said the scheme he promoted in 2005 involved "the most difficult end of the labour market - young indigenous people with no skills" - and some Cape York workers had since shown "heaps of aptitude" working at abattoirs in Wonthaggi.

Tracey Leo, former head of the Northern Territory Horticulture Association, said she had been campaigning to get indigenous workers "for a very long time".

"The bottom line from our end is you cannot force people to work," she said. "All the attempts we have made in getting indigenous workers involved have failed. The best form of aid for anyone is employment and opportunity.

"If we can give people work, it's a win-win situation, but they just won't take the work."

Mr Mundine, a former ALP national president, said he sympathised with industries facing shortages but unemployment would be turned around only by changing the laws and rules.

"There has to be reform," he said. "How can we have 22,000 low-skill jobs go begging when we have so many indigenous people who are unemployed?"

Opposition indigenous affairs spokesman Tony Abbott said he supported a dramatic overhaul of the welfare laws to force people to take up jobs.
"Unemployment benefits should be suspended in places like Mildura during the picking season if jobs can't be filled," he said.

But he took a softer line than Mr Mundine, arguing that forcing people to move great distances for work might not be possible or fair.

"It's not entirely realistic to force people to move vast distances," he said. "But if unskilled work is readily available in a particular area, unemployment benefits should no longer be available."
Labor says the Liberal Party is split over the Pacific Seasonal Worker Scheme, with key MPs expressing support for the plan, while Brendan Nelson and Mr Abbott condemn it.

The Opposition Leader said yesterday: "Don't we have our first priority and responsibility to Australians, particularly those who haven't got work."
However, Indigenous Affairs Minister Jenny Macklin said the guest-worker scheme would in "no way stop indigenous Australians from getting a job as a seasonal worker".

"Overseas low-skilled seasonal workers will be employed only after employers have demonstrated they have first made reasonable efforts to employ Australians," she said.

Ms Macklin said bosses would be required to commit to participate in programs for the training and career development of people who might not be job-ready, particularly income-support recipients, indigenous Australians and those from refugee programs seeking work. But Ms Macklin would not say whether she supported a tigher welfare system to force indigenous people into jobs.

sgnewsalte

Alfrescian
Loyal
You'll be hard pressed to find old Malay folks scavenging in the streets. That's because their extended family will take care of them and ensure that all their basic needs are met.

The way the Chinese treat their elderly is a real disgrace. :rolleyes:

beggars1.JPG

:rolleyes:

sgnewsalte

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Malay community does an excellent job in this area. You'll be hard pressed to find old Malay folks scavenging in the streets. That's because their extended family will take care of them and ensure that all their basic needs are met.

"You go down New York, Broadway. You will see the beggars, people of the streets…Where are the beggars in Singapore? Show me - Lee Kuan Yew"

beggars1.JPG

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal

The way the Chinese treat their elderly relatives is a real disgrace. :rolleyes:

Now, you will be extremely hard pressed to find anyone willing to bet their last dollar on those statements. :smile:

I saved more than half my salary when I first started work and I wasn't earning millions. I had $650 left after a CPF deduction of more than 20%! I could easily have spent it all. Instead, I kept overheads to a minimum by cooking my own food, eating sandwiches for lunch at the office and taking a bus instead of a car loan.

After 10 years of working life, I had more than enough money to care for both my parents regardless of what happened to them.

I hope you are not suggesting that we set national policies based on your personal experiences. Is that why you worship LKY so much? He is notorious for doing that to Singapore. :biggrin: