• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Undergrad In Depression After Jobless for 3 Years

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I still use proper spelling for instant messaging wherever possible. With dictionary autocorrect there is no excuse not to do so.

For example, there is no reason to use 'I no' instead of 'I know'.

jw5

Loyal
I still use proper spelling for instant messaging wherever possible. With dictionary autocorrect there is no excuse not to do so.

For example, there is no reason to use 'I no' instead of 'I know'.

All the more reason because "I no" and "I know" could actually mean entirely opposite things. :biggrin:

Spoilt brat princess: laksaboy, we should get married.

Option 1:
laksaboy: I no!!!! :eek:

Option 2:
laksaboy: I know. :o

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
i suspect something is wrong with this guy, or he could have rejected certain job with pay not up to his expectation. or he could be opposition supporter always finding fault with pap's cronies, then i find it believable. i know someone who is an eccentric sinkie but a pap lackey always attending and going to RC events and always helping out at meet people session, he was jobless for a year, however, found a job which pays $4k a month as soon as the cronies around him knew about his state, so if you are jobless, go support pap and be a crony, crony tend to help another crony. :rolleyes:

[h=2]Don’t waste your money on tertiary education[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
December 31st, 2013 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

KBW-discourages-ITE-and-Polytechnic-graduate-from-pursuing-a-university-degree-300x195.jpg
It is not worth it. Read the below comment by a mother posted in TRE.
mala:
December 20, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I m 62years mum, my son nus graduate is jobless for nearly 3years.he is depress now and on medication.can the pap gov understand my pain and how my heart is aching.

Sadly, many parents and their graduate children are in the same dire straits. Many have dug out their life savings to put their children through universities. Some sold their properties, downgrade from private to HDB, some from bigger HDB to smaller HDB flats, to squeeze the money needed for overseas university tuition fees, for the sake of their children. And what happened? They could not get a decent job in their home country, the same country they called home, served NS and pledged to defend with their lives, while there are more than a million good jobs taken up by foreigners.

I encourage all parents not to waste their money sending their children to universities, here in world best universities, or overseas in unranked universities. Many would end up jobless and suffer depression. And if they ended up working in part time jobs or driving taxis, they would never be able to earn enough to recover what the parents had paid for their education. If parents do not want to heed my advice, never mind, just listen to the good ministers, no need university education, be hawkers or be other skill workers. These are good advices from people in the know, people who made policies that affect everyone of us. Don’t listen to me, listen to them.

I feel very sorry to so many parents and their graduate children who ended up jobless and had no better choice than to drive taxis while foreigners are swarming this Sin City to replace them. Sad indeed.

This is the real hard truth that more and more Sinkies would have to live with. Great place to live, and a great life, for the very rich and for foreigners. Sinkies must be grateful for their good fortune to live in this great city.

Chua Chin Leng aka redbean

* The writer blogs at http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com.

20070410_Lee-Hsien-Loong_0_5_0_6_0.jpg

I dare you to vote my Leegime out in 2016! *hee*hee*

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who's looking for a job? I've been living my entire life trying to get rid of my job.

quartz28

Alfrescian
Loyal
Grad must be guaranteed with job meh?....if you are a blur F with low EQ ...no matter how many degrees u got...u still will not go through the interviews....can't blame govt for this.....

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have to agree with boss sam on this. Engrish in ozland also chia lat. Kids r not taught to spell n grammar not taught properly. I heard they r just taught to talk.

It is the same in Toronto, Canada.
When I arrived in 1981, they asked me to take a test administered by "Test of English as a Foreign Language", but I believe that I write better than most of the graduates which the firm hired in my cohort. Later, I even wrote to the CEO of a mutual fund company and offered to edit their "Investment Newsletter" and Quarterly Reports, and he did engaged my services at $60 an hour.
It is sad that too many individuals, including journalists, are unable to write and spell proper English, such as [you are vs your]; [principle vs principal]; [practice vs practise]; [there vs their]; do not when to use "and" or "but"; "compared with"; [different from] rather than [different than].

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
It is the same in Toronto, Canada.
When I arrived in 1981, they asked me to take a test administered by "Test of English as a Foreign Language", but I believe that I write better than most of the graduates which the firm hired in my cohort. Later, I even wrote to the CEO of a mutual fund company and offered to edit their "Investment Newsletter" and Quarterly Reports, and he did engaged my services at $60 an hour.
It is sad that too many individuals, including journalists, are unable to write and spell proper English, such as [you are vs your]; [principle vs principal]; [practice vs practise]; [there vs their]; do not when to use "and" or "but"; "compared with"; [different from] rather than [different than].

It is either "he engaged" or "he did engage". :rolleyes:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. graduating with some degree does not guaranteed employability.
2. the individual needs to perform too.
3. there is no instant passport.
4. those good years were all gone a long time ago.
5. sad, sheep just don't accept that.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, zero percent of being jobless as a young graduate, unless the person is totally lazy, useless, or picky. Sure they may not be able to land plum jobs but can always start with jobs with big title and low pay and move from there.

Take example I know of someone working as an RC Manager, title big but pay only $1.9k, worse than clerk...but she was able to get a public relations officer job with only a few applications and this person is 45 years old.

Having big title, the potential employer thinks she has a job with lots of responsibilities, so offered her the PRO job as they felt she could manage the residents which she will encounter in her next job.

So just go for some retail manager post, Macds or Buger King for a start, maybe pay is $2k or less but when you apply next job, employers would have the impression that you are able to manage and offer you similar better paying manager jobs.

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
i suspect something is wrong with this guy, or he could have rejected certain job with pay not up to his expectation. or he could be opposition supporter always finding fault with pap's cronies, then i find it believable. i know someone who is an eccentric sinkie but a pap lackey always attending and going to RC events and always helping out at meet people session, he was jobless for a year, however, found a job which pays $4k a month as soon as the cronies around him knew about his state, so if you are jobless, go support pap and be a crony, crony tend to help another crony. :rolleyes:

Are u a pappie RC groupie?

Last edited:

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
no, I AM DEFINITELY NOT! but this guy i mentioned besides eccentric really got a serious EQ problem, his colleague wanted to bash him up then. besides, the most unbelievable thing he got hired by an MNC..

Are u a pappie RC groupie?

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no, I AM DEFINITELY NOT! but this guy i mentioned besides eccentric really got a serious EQ problem, his colleague wanted to bash him up then. besides, the most unbelievable thing he got hired by an MNC..

Definately a pappie RC groupie in denial lying mode

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree with the point that having a degree will not guarantee good job or even a job.. however, it is the govt's role in taking care of its citizens' welfare and also the country's economy.

By allowing so many foreigners in, thereby eroding our citizens' competitiveness, cos these foreigners can learn at higher level jobs, such as jr. exec or even exec or supervisory and managerial positions.. the govt, IMHO, has severely damaged SG ppl's worth and employability.

Letting the companies and biz-owners have a free-rein has resulted in large pools of low-wage workers in our country.. why do you think the govt had to come in and "advise" the biz-owners and companies to "give priority to SG ppl" lately? The situation is THAT BAD.. and this is my opinion. and also from what I had seen from my various workplaces.. and also from word-of-mouth of trusted ppl and friends.

It says a lot when the ministers "brand" their own citizens "xenophobic" when there are no signs on any shops that says "No foreigners allowed", or any severe incident (the riot and bus driver protest don't even count as anti-foreigner sentiments). And our very own pinky PM can say that migrant workers commit less crimes than the local residents... says a lot.. don't you think? Oops.. I should say, "WHAT DO YOU THINK!"

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, zero percent of being jobless as a young graduate, unless the person is totally lazy, useless, or picky. Sure they may not be able to land plum jobs but can always start with jobs with big title and low pay and move from there.

Take example I know of someone working as an RC Manager, title big but pay only $1.9k, worse than clerk...but she was able to get a public relations officer job with only a few applications and this person is 45 years old.

Having big title, the potential employer thinks she has a job with lots of responsibilities, so offered her the PRO job as they felt she could manage the residents which she will encounter in her next job.

So just go for some retail manager post, Macds or Buger King for a start, maybe pay is $2k or less but when you apply next job, employers would have the impression that you are able to manage and offer you similar better paying manager jobs.

There was a time, some long while back, in between careers, before I got fed up & decided to work for myself, I lowered my expectations, to that level I could almost ' smell the ground'. That period, was my greatest learning experience, I took on work, except the fast foods one, from companies like Tricon, Dairy Farms etc.. they just don't want me, for various reasons ( now they are hiring for those reasons) not that I am disabled or....but they say I am over qualified, over experienced. I was willing to put in long hours for pitiful per hr without benefits jobs. I managed to worked in various jobs competing with Foreigners who are on dependent pass, have to fight, hand & nail for $8 - $16 hr jobs, that include overtime , week ends & holidays. I have even worked for a Town Council as a relief clerk for $600 GROSS before CPF. ( I worked 2 weeks, the cost going to work, was higher than the pay).

Ahh!, I had even walked in to a department store, who was advertising for a Santa Claus for Christmas....what I am saying is, the undergrads must be somewhat useless bum....there are so many things that a person can do, if that person is willing for put his/her mind to work, to earn an income...& in the mean time...put in applications, calling up friends etc..tapping into network of friends, ex clients etc... but in the meantime, take on jobs to get pay, to pay bills to eat...

Never mind about the degree, the diploma...just take on any jobs, why get depressed? if not join : www. pap.org.sg they love graduates...

Last edited:

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There was a time, some long while back, in between careers, before I got fed up & decided to work for myself, I lowered my expectations, to that level I could almost ' smell the ground'. That period, was my greatest learning experience, I took on work, except the fast foods one, from companies like Tricon, Dairy Farms etc.. they just don't want me, for various reasons ( now they are hiring for those reasons) not that I am disabled or....but they say I am over qualified, over experienced. I was willing to put in long hours for pitiful per hr without benefits jobs. I managed to worked in various jobs competing with Foreigners who are on dependent pass, have to fight, hand & nail for $8 - $16 hr jobs, that include overtime , week ends & holidays. I have even worked for a Town Council as a relief clerk for $600 GROSS before CPF. ( I worked 2 weeks, the cost going to work, was higher than the pay).

Ahh!, I had even walked in to a department store, who was advertising for a Santa Claus for Christmas....what I am saying is, the undergrads must be somewhat useless bum....there are so many things that a person can do, if that person is willing for put his/her mind to work, to earn an income...& in the mean time...put in applications, calling up friends etc..tapping into network of friends, ex clients etc... but in the meantime, take on jobs to get pay, to pay bills to eat...

Never mind about the degree, the diploma...just take on any jobs, why get depressed? if not join : www. pap.org.sg they love graduates...

Dear friend,

You have experienced the hard truth.. and yet you tell those that just came out to accept the world as it is? They were too coddled.. too cared for.. to naive and most did not bother to go around and find out the actual situation.. but is this situation all THEIR fault?

I say, "No". The system is such that politics are not discussed in school in great detail. No discussion, no way to stimulate thinking on what was done correct, and what was not. The students were "pushed" to accept and follwo this system and do their best to "achieve" the results that the SYSTEM wanted.. not what the students wanted. Ask any secondary student or JC student what they want to be when they start working.. most will have blank looks.. and most will probably say, "don't know.. get degree then get job lor"

When you had to lower yourself to that low.. how long ago was that? 5 years ago? Lesser? Well, the number of foreigners are ever increasing.. and each month, there are "new citizens" too. So, imagine how TOUGH the competition has become.. not because WE, the CITIZENS wanted it.. but cos the govt has made it so.. and this is my opinion.. although quite alot of my friends and relatives also think alnog the same trach as I do.

With all these "obstacles" to finding a decent job.. do you think the Singaporean student, who has spent life either studying and going for parties and camping trips and X'mas and new year parties, have any chance? Don't even mention that a big majority of them don't possess good communication skills.. in either English or Mandarin.. and also, the fact that most don't speak or understand Dialects now.. "thanks" to the "speak mandarin" campaign... they have lost alot of competitive edge, as compared to the foreigners.

I don't blame the parents, or the students for complaining as if I were them, I too would have something to say about this present state. There is just too many foreigners, and also obstacles that prevent Singaporeans from getting a chance to land a decent job. The bosses are dead-set on getting CHEAP LABOUR, thinking that this will enhance "productivity", but forgets that with more foreigners, they might be bringing in the "wolves" who, when in packs, run havoc and cause mayhem. We have seen 2 incidents of how a big group of foreigners can cause some upheaval to our society.. would a company be spared? I doubt it.

But I must say, it will be a tough learning curve and experience for all Singaporean students and Grads, once they step into the real working world. They will probably get a rude awakening.. but it's due time for these people to wake up.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal

ok.you earn my respect.
salute

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Confirm pappies sarporter! knn, thought vote pappies can get some good deals. sekali good lobang don't have, shit and taxes a lot. so now tulan lor.